Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

Nibali is probably going to Trek next year so that's a pretty packed roster of leaders if Degenkolb is still there too. Along with Mollema, Porte and Stuyven. Though I don't know what their contract situations are like.

Trek are an odd one, they have some quality riders but they a not a good team these days. Which suggests changes needed in the back room staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Trek are an odd one, they have some quality riders but they a not a good team these days. Which suggests changes needed in the back room staff.

What sort of changes to back room staff?

They have diverted a lot of their attention into Womens pro racing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What sort of changes to back room staff?

They have diverted a lot of their attention into Womens pro racing.

The women's team is a totally separate entity so not impacting on the men's team at all.
    You may as well say the DH teams they run are costing the men's road team- they're completely separate. Also the investment in women's road racing is much, much less than the men's equivalent.
    They haven't produced the results of the kind the calibre of riders on their roster would suggest, for while, so I'd say it's pretty safe to say something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

So with all that in mind Katusha seems the best fit for Sam. He must be so frustrated this year with the lack of opportunities in GTs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Looks like Sagan is back, but you never know, anything can happen between now and the Tour.

Sam has to stay ready and focussed.
    I think he rides better when fresh i.e. seems to be able to go off for a month with no racing and come back and pick up his form straight away.

I also like the way he generally doesn't win the first one or two stages (of the bigger races against the top guys) but seems to be able to work out a way to beat them after a few misses.

Also, he's professional and just does his job when asked - that's what a manager appreciates - look for example at Origi and Moura last week as prime examples in another sport - the big stars out and the next in line steps in and does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Feel like this thread deserves a bump ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

cunavalos wrote: »
    Feel like this thread deserves a bump ;)

Yep, can only mean one thing when you see this thread bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Be interesting to see who he ends up signing for. Couldn’t be having a better season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »

I think a switch has been on the cards since his Giro snub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

godtabh wrote:
    I think a switch has been on the cards since his Giro snub.

A switch has been on the cards since before the TDF last summer! He openly said that the TDF is where he needs to be competing as a top sprinter, but it looked like he wouldn't be getting that chance with Sagan on the team, so would need to move if he wanted to be in it. Total professional about it though, no toys thrown out of the pram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I wonder what the chances of a mid season transfer to the likes of Katusha ? I guess it would all depend on how much Katusha are prepared to pay for it,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

He has a good chance to ride the Vuelta this season, already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

connachta wrote:
    He has a good chance to ride the Vuelta this season, already!

Doubt this will happen if he is changing. Generally riders confirmed as moving are sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It is a fairly good option for Sam and QuickStep are likely to be freeing up some cash with the departures of Viviani, Gilbert(to Lotto) and Mas (to Movistar )

There really are not a lot of better options out there and rumours circulating that Canyon and Alpecin will pull out of sponsoring Katusha (to be confirmed on first rest day of TDF-will be ploughing their sponsorship in van der Poel at the olympics) ruling out one of the options and the toxic atmosphere at Dimension Data (who will be rebranding anyway)whom I had suggested earlier in the year.

Surely we would get an Irish version of Viviani's national championship jersey that he wore at the Giro:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Talk about a high pressure environment. It's a team with potential for a lot of wins. Just don't disappoint Patrick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Talk about a high pressure environment. It's a team with potential for a lot of wins. Just don't disappoint Patrick.

It's Pro sport at the highest level, pressure is inevitable.
    Sam has shown he can deal with pressure and adversity in the past and with non selection this year (despite being Bora's top performer).
    He will succeed if goes to QS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's Pro sport at the highest level, pressure is inevitable.
    Sam has shown he can deal with pressure and adversity in the past and with non selection this year (despite being Bora's top performer).
    He will succeed if goes to QS.

He's not strictly their top performer this year though. Both Sagan and Ackermann are significantly ahead of him in terms of UCI points won. He may have a couple of more stage wins than Ackermann and a good few more than Sagan but that just isn't enough obviously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    He's not strictly their top performer this year though. Both Sagan and Ackermann are significantly ahead of him in terms of UCI points won. He may have a couple of more stage wins than Ackermann and a good few more than Sagan but that just isn't enough obviously.

It's all about them wins baby
    Sam has won more and won consistently.
    Down in points because they haven't sent him to the bigger races for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

cunavalos wrote: »
    There really are not a lot of better options out there and rumours circulating that Canyon and Alpecin will pull out of sponsoring Katusha (to be confirmed on first rest day of TDF-will be ploughing their sponsorship in van der Poel at the olympics)

Van der Poel just signed a 4 year ambassador deal with Canyon so would not be surprised to see that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's all about them wins baby
    Sam has won more and won consistently.
    Down in points because they haven't sent him to the bigger races for some reason....

He's more wins this year than Vivianni.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hes not sent to certain races for two reasons, Sagan being the poster boy being carried by Specialized, they pick where he goes, not the team as they pay his wage. The other is that Bora clearly play to certain crowds and geographically, an Irishman doesn't tick those boxes,a German one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The Eurosport guys weren't keen on the Bennett to DQS rumour yesterday and even suggested it wasnt a good idea for Sam, but its a done deal, it seems, with Partick Lefevre himself breaking cover yesterday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/viviani-to-leave-deceuninck-quickstep-despite-tour-de-france-success/

Heard Smith and Blythe on about it yesterday and their comments as to why it wasn't a good move made no sense at all. Even if Viviani stays Sam would most likely get a better program next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Heard Smith and Blythe on about it yesterday and their comments as to why it wasn't a good move made no sense at all. Even if Viviani stays Sam would most likely get a better program next season.
    Yeah, watched that this morning and it made no sense.

I really didn't get the logic that he was in a good team, being supported now - but then was Smith at NetApp-Endura when Sam signed for them/ his first season there? Smith might have thrown Doug Ryder under the bus, but maybe relations are still good there....

Anyway, it'd be a brilliant move for Sam, and you wouldn't think there's be the same issues competing for places with Jakobsen and Hodeg. About the only negative would possibly be support in Milan-San Remo, and some of the cobbled races that I think he could have potential given how he can get over harder routes than most pure sprinters. But I've no idea if he's any interest in the other classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Macy0161 wrote: »

I really didn't get the logic that he was in a good team, being supported now - but then was Smith at NetApp-Endura when Sam signed for them/ his first season there? Smith might have thrown Doug Ryder under the bus, but maybe relations are still good there....

I think you're crossing team there? Smith was at NetApp but moved to MTN Qhubeca (sp ?) where he fell out with Doug Ryder (who was never involved with NetApp/Bora).

Meanwhile, Alberto Contador definitely has a motor in his bike today......... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I think you're crossing team there? Smith was at NetApp but moved to MTN Qhubeca (sp ?) where he fell out with Doug Ryder (who was never involved with NetApp/Bora).
    I was trying to get at that NetApp evolved into Bora. He fell out with Doug Ryder, but maybe relations are still good with the guys in Bora.

It's about the only way I can understand his logic of Sam staying at Bora was a good thing!

Advertisement