Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pretty **** looking alright but few good guys to go up against.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You can only beat those in front of you. Sam has to keep the head up and keep winning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

World Tour stage wins are what they are no matter what the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Was thinking given Ackermann's lack of results though he didn't look bad in recent weeks Sam would make a case for a Giro ride in Turkey but it looks like the move back to April hasn't exactly attracted a stellar field. There is no way they can or should keep WT status for this race with this start list https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-turkey/2019/startlist Only 6 WT teams down to ride.

I would not blame any WT team for missing this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Not too great but not wojus either. Lotto, Quickstep, a random Italian and maybe Cav will be the competition for him I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not too great but not wojus either. Lotto, Quickstep, a random Italian and maybe Cav thats it will be the competition for him I suppose.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Quick Step have 4 good sprint guys there, Caleb Ewan of course, Cav & Renshaw, Aberasturi from Caja Rural is quick, Grosu also isnt bad, Consonni is decent too, so it wont be easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cav close to the business end today, not up there but close. Great sprint finish and a lesson in how not to throw a bike ......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Another win today in a finish that was not ideally suited to him. Definitely worth watching highlights

• Advertisement

Other sprinters out the back and Sam taking a win on a finish he's not suited to most days. Archbold was some engine there too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Chapeau Sam. I think he could win three out of the remaining four stages.

Just watching the last 10 km or so again. How Shane Archbold was left go to progressively lower divisions over the last 2 years beggars belief. Watching him there he's exactly the man you want leading you out or riding for you, always looking around and shouting and to talking team mates. Great move by Bora to bring him back but I wonder why they let him go in 2017 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

He had an accident or some sort of serious injury. Bora told him to get fit & they would take him back which they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

His injuries were very severe and to top it all fell out of contract. There was no guarantee he would have recovered to the level he has. Coupled with that I guess bora may have had to look elsewhere while uncertainty hung over his recovery and may have filled their roster. Then if these rostered riders are in contract it's difficult to create a space for a rider again with the exception of peter kennaugh taking the break indefinitely.

Archibald and Bennett have always worked well together. I think the an post days solidified that friendship and teammate understanding. So when the chance arose I'm sure Bennett spoke well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

dahat wrote: »
    He had an accident or some sort of serious injury. Bora told him to get fit & they would take him back which they did.

he broke his back, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

I think today's finish might not be great for Sam, even do its pan flat it is supposedly a 3km burn up on a wide highway. Stage 1 demonstrated that Quickstep and Jakobsen are up for it. Sam's most memorable stage wins come from the more technical or difficult lead ups to the line. I hope I'm wrong but I sense he could get pipped today. Archbold will once again be vital

Lads

Ther's live coverage here:

https://www.trt.net.tr/anasayfa/canli.aspx?y=tv&k=trtspor

26 k to go.

So in 30 minutes approx 12.25 they should be coming close to finish.

Jez an ambulance trying to pass the race there. Hopefully nothing serious.

Sam gave a lad a shoulder there, then got 2 whacks from Quick step riders.

Thats galloping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Good to see life in Cav again, he might make the Champs yet.
    Richeze is some thug though. Half his job seems to be taking out other sprinters after doing his lead out. There's streetwise and then there's going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Stage 4 results - 1. Caleb Ewan, 2. Juan Jose Lobato, 3. Sammy B.

Sam still in the leader's jersey but he'll lose it tomorrow as there is a ridiculously steep climb at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Stage 4 results - 1. Caleb Ewan, 2. Juan Jose Lobato, 3. Sammy B.

Sam still in the leader's jersey but he'll lose it tomorrow as there is a ridiculously steep climb at the finish.
    Was it his legs or his bike today? Anyone see a post-race interview/comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

buffalo wrote: »
    Was it his legs or his bike today? Anyone see a post-race interview/comment?
    I haven't seen the interview but just watched the last km. Looked like a very unusual sprint to me. He seemed to sit up, let Ewan come around and then started his sprint again. If they were on the same team, I'd say he was giving the win to him but maybe he had a gear slip or something like that

Tomorrows mountain top finish is highly questionable and may be omitted due to snow.
    https://twitter.com/Jeffrey_Fierens/status/1119292863630774275
    Sam for GC:D:D

I noticed some of the riders in long bibs/ shorts / warmers this week even during the flat stages so clearly not as warm as I'd have expected there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

So what's the right news on today. Cyclingnews.com is at odds with what RTE sport said just before 6 o clock. Which to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

According to RTE Radio One sport, 2FM sport, RTE TV news and RTE online website Sam Bennett is in second place after Saturdays stage where he finished 86th and 16.09 down but is still in 2nd place.
    Surely 4 sources of news would not be giving out Fake news ?
    By the way, Cycling News has Bennett in 60th place at 15.55

So what's the right news on today. Cyclingnews.com is at odds with what RTE sport said just before 6 o clock. Which to believe?

without giving too much away cyclingnews have the right report. Don't know where RTE got their info from very much wrong.

Best place to get standings is
    https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-turkey/2019/stage-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, Jaysus, that was never a serious contest. About 30 seconds of 'research' gave the correct answer.

Advertisement