Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

What happened there he just let Ewan go around him

Went to early and ran out of steam I think.

EDIT: Saw him being paced back on with Archbold earlier with 30km or so to go though not sure what happened, that can't have been helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭topcat77

pascal ackermann has unfortunately crashed out of the tour of the Alps and will miss the giro. Sam's the obvious choice to take his place.

topcat77 wrote: »
    pascal ackermann has unfortunately crashed out of the tour of the Alps and will miss the giro. Sam's the obvious choice to take his place.

Just heard Rob Hatch mention it , wasn't shown but said race organisers reported him as breaking his arm. Not how Sam would want to get a ticket to the Giro I'm sure but has to be the choice for Bora now

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Archbold earned his way back to the world tour after breaking his back and found a spot on BH because of Kennaugh's mental health problems. Bennett earned the right to ride the Giro, had it taken away and now - presumably - will be back in the team because of Ackermann's misfortune.

Pro sport is cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Sam down to start Tour de Romandie next week.

EDIT: Meant to add this earlier https://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-de-romandie-2019/route-tdr-2019/ detail of the route.

So Stage 2 really is the only day for Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

getting some climbing into his legs before the Giro? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

getting some climbing into his legs before the Giro? :D

If he's going anywhere he'll get the Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Looking around at soccer the whole Bennett/Giro thing is been handled well on both sides. The team is in a predicament with sponsor etc, sam understands that and hasn't said more than he needs to and doors are been left open.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Seems there are three stages that might suit?
    Just from route description, havent seen profiles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Looked at the profiles for Tour de Romandie, it seems they are all quite lumpy/tough stages.

Weds there are 5 cat 2s, Thursday there's a 20k cat 2 in middle of stage, and a cat 3 30 k from home.
    Friday there's a few cat 2 & 3 climbs, with an uphill finish.

Saturday is the queen stage with all that entails and Sunday is a 16 k tt.

The following are sprinters I can see listed, some of them for lumpy / uphill stages :

COLBRELLI Sonny
    MARECZKO Jakub
    VIVIANI Elia
    BLYTHE Adam
    ALBASINI Michael (I know hes not a real sprinter but is good on an uphill finish / tough stage)
    NIZZOLO Giacomo
    SWIFT Ben (same as Albasini)
    CONSONNI Simone
    PASQUALON Andrea

I back Sam for one stage.

2nd in Romandie today after a breakaway rider took what should have been a sprint finish

I hadn't realised the Tour of Croatia had been cancelled at a weeks notice, they mentioned it in commentary. So likely why the likes of Sam and Viviani are here this week.

Shame that race was cancelled and the reasons for it , sponsors not coughing up what they agreed because it did a really good job of showing off the country as a place to visit.

Looks like Sam's pulled out of TDR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

If it wasn't already there, Ackerman winning at his first GT opportunity is a further nail in the coffin of a prolonged career for Sam at Bora. Talk of the cycling podcast last night of rumours that a mid-season transfer to Katusha is being spoken of for him to replace Kittel. This would allow him to ride the 2019 Tour for Katusha. Good move? or not? Hard to see the existing sprint train being tuned for a new sprinter this late, but perhaps it is best in the long run. Alternatively it looks unlikely he will have much in the way of high-level opportunities for the rest of the year......he then waits till next year for a new team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

No idea if a move to Katusha would be good or bad but be great to see him in the Tour.
    If he had the right team around him he'd give the green jersey a good crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness, Katusha have invested in the train for Kittel. I'd bite their hand off, unless he had something much better to go to. The other team mentioned was Trek, who are supposedly getting Nibali, so they'll be GC focused. Similarly EF. So it's someone else's train now, or wait and maybe no train at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He can't transfer til August though no? Wouldn't be able to ride the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Weepsie wrote: »
    He can't transfer til August though no? Wouldn't be able to ride the tour.

if it's by 'mutual consent' he can. Remember Rohan Dennis doing the same thing one year.

1bryan wrote: »
    if it's by 'mutual consent' he can. Remember Rohan Dennis doing the same thing one year.

That happened in August though

Archbold did it only a matter of weeks ago didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Icant see that happening. Archibald is only back in the frame and they work well together I think where ever Sam goes Shane will go too. There's only one space at Katusha. Besides I think Sam is focused and professional to follow what set out plan is in place for this year. DS will be looking at his results and his willingness to fit into a team structure. Nobody wants the dramas of the Bouhannis type to tend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Archbold did it only a matter of weeks ago didn't he?

Archibald had a contract agreement that if opportunity rose to re enter a world tour team a lower division team would agree to it.

Also, Bora know he can win stages. Not in their interest to have him hoovering them up against them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think Bora has been an excellent team for him but would like to see him at Trek next year. Think the lack of a sprinter there and no 100% GC focus would benefit him no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

RobFowl wrote: »
    I think Bora has been an excellent team for him but would like to see him at Trek next year. Think the lack of a sprinter there and no 100% GC focus would benefit him no end.

Haven't they been pretty awful this year?

One win I think and that wasn't at WT or HC level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

RobFowl wrote: »
    Does Degenkolb not have a contract for next year? He's been with Trek since 2017 so is presumably in yr1 of a 2 year extension ? But he's only 30. In any case, perhaps Sam could work with Degenkolb á-la Gaviria and Kristoff (who is nearly 32) at UAE ?
    In any case, Katusha or Trek would seem like decent options; good as they were for him, Bora no longer are.......

Advertisement