Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So van rysel bikes then? Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

2 year deal is ok, given the last 2 years!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it's odd that their announcement is with him pictured in his Bora/Speicalized gear.

Still technically with Bora until 31st December. All the new signings are in their old/ current team kit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

they could have used a photo of them in casual gear surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

saw one of the French riders at cx yesterday riding one and van rysel kit

Don't really recall seeing that done, so I assume it is part of the standard contract. Nearest you'll see is EF who kinda colour wash photo's with a pink overlay!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It would work both ways anyway. AGR2 blocking other people's kits will mean people will block theirs too.

It would just make a lot more sense to change contract dates to October or something though.

October would make more sense for transfers, but then pretty crap for those that simply aren't getting renewed!

Ya but it would still be a 12 month contract so they don't lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

Bennett's and Roche's career have the similiarity in that both made steady year on year progress up to the amazing climax season and then fell away quickly afterwards. I suppose both lacked the durability to continue for a long period once they had reached the summit of their sport.

Roche's pre yellow jersey career was still a very successful career. Way more so that Bennetts pre green career.

Roche was a top figure in his field in a way Bennett never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Roche also won a Tour stage 5 years after his greatest year (as well as a couple of the one week tour wins and a few top ten in GC grand tours in between too)

I assumed they were talking Nico rather than Stephen? If it is the former, definitely underestimates the super domestique years

I doubt it. Nico's career didn't really follow Bennett's in any sort of noticeable fashion.

I would say some of Nico's final years were his best as dom/captain suited him way better than his time as GC guy at AG2R. But overall it was just a steady career with no real peaks or troughs.

Kinda peaked in 2013 with the 5th in the Vuelta, and top 10 san sebastian for me, in terms of his own results at least.

In terms of his own results maybe but thats like saying Morkov peaked in 2013 with his last big race win.

I would say Nico only really discovered his potential in 2013

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its a very different world now then it was then, a lot more competitive riders (IMO, not to take away from them back in the day but harder to get up there I would have thought). Any of whom who would have done really well back in the day, but you can only race who is beside you. Every rider in the last few posts is still in the top 0.1% of their sport if not higher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah I would guess despite finishing 5th in the Vuelta (to a 41 year old - cough) he probably realised then that GC wasn't for him. That Vuelta is up on youtube by the way and it's a fun watch (Nico wins a stage and the GC battle involves Nibali, Valverde, a young Pinot, Pozzo etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

Roche definitely had great success even without 1987 ,but he won 2 grand Tours in 1987 and was never again a contender for a Grand tour win at the age of 27.Most of his big wins were that year or before .My general point being that both Roche and Bennett could have reasonably expected to add to their Palmares after their big year more than they subsequently did mostly due to injury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Roche rode much his career on one leg though. Bennett to me at least it seems to be all in the head. He's got the speed, the skill and and the all the technical qualities, but he doesn't read a race like say someone such as Cavendish, and might be just a bit too nice (because he genuinely seems like one of the good guys).

Well it's moot as it was Stephen. But I wasn't meaning to diminish Nico's post 2013 years at all. Always thought it was a pity he didn't really target the classics a bit more (but I think the same with Sam!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

To me it's also felt like a major confidence issue with Sam. QS built him up to believe he could be the best in the world but it took the first Tour stage win for him to believe it himself. Then Patrick dragged his name through the mud (and told the world that Sam had huge self doubt) and he has so often looked like a guy that hasn't trusted/backed himself since.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I was in Decathlon in Ballymun yesterday, no sign of Sam.

R

Advertisement