Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Trek could be the best call as the other major sprint teams look full. Whereever he goes he will look for top billing & command a decent wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Personally if i was Douglas Ryder, i would be looking to free up Cavendish's salary and sign Bennett to Dimension Data

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cunavalos wrote: »
    Personally if i was Douglas Ryder, i would be looking to free up Cavendish's salary and sign Bennett to Dimension Data
    From what I've heard, Cavendish's basic salary isn't that high this year - it's built around bonuses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He'd be doing well to get anything close to Cavendish in terms of pay. 5 classics, a monument, a World Champion, points jersey in all 3 GCs, 48 GC stages and an Olympic medalist.

What he brings in sponsorship interest alone from some parts might cover the teams running costs.

Bennett for all his undoubted talent doesn't have that level of profile going for him. Though that's not all his own fault having only been able to ride 4 GCs so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Weepsie wrote: »
    He'd be doing well to get anything close to Cavendish in terms of pay. 5 classics, a monument, a World Champion, points jersey in all 3 GCs, 48 GC stages and an Olympic medalist.

What he brings in sponsorship interest alone from some parts might cover the teams running costs.

Bennett for all his undoubted talent doesn't have that level of profile going for him. Though that's not all his own fault having only been able to ride 4 GCs so far.

Bennett isnt in the same galaxy as Cavendish in terms of profile, achievements, marketability or anything else that matters in terms of earning power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

terrydel wrote: »
    Bennett isnt in the same galaxy as Cavendish in terms of profile, achievements, marketability or anything else that matters in terms of earning power.

But Cav isn't winning races (for now anyway). You have to factor in that he needs at least 2 others as a sprinting entourage so that basically leaves your team three or four riders down.

If they put some of those resources towards Bennett he'd win races and that's something Dim Data needs badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Like I said - indications are that Cav's basic salary isn't that big this year, after two poor years/ illness. Albeit with big bonuses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But Cav isn't winning races (for now anyway). You have to factor in that he needs at least 2 others as a sprinting entourage so that basically leaves your team three or four riders down.

If they put some of those resources towards Bennett he'd win races and that's something Dim Data needs badly.

But he is still one of the most recognisable names in Cycling and has a palmares that most could only dream of. He alone will bring some type exposure whether he finishes first or fiftieth. Bennett absolutely has to win for the expsure.

Cavendish will get TV time and media coverage just for being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

In cycling it is a fact you a paid more for your potential than for your palmares...ask Greipel and ask Bernal

Cavendish is a spent force and not paid highly these days but he is a multi millionaire anyway

Bennett si the up and coming top dog and could command a £2 million salary if his agent manages it well ..a Mr McQuaid who I have no doubt will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

MPFGLB wrote: »
    In cycling it is a fact you a paid more for your potential than for your palmares...ask Greipel and ask Bernal

Even ask Bennett himself - he's been screwed out of a leading role in the team for a German and his potential

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jesus lads, did Sam sleep with your birds or something????

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Dimension Data need results. They're in the World Tour, but are they truly a World Tour standard this year?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Jesus lads, did Sam sleep with your birds or something????

Jasus what a sexist remark

And for what reason .....we are speculating on salary and teams ? Why that shoudl warrant such a remark is beyond me

Or can only not comment on an Irish lad ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Jasus what a sexist remark

And for what reason .....we are speculating on salary and teams ? Why that shoudl warrant such a remark is beyond me

Or can only not comment on an Irish lad ?

Ye Wha?

2161586f0f015ac98b7e13ebe178aaa1.jpg

Anyway .... I see Sam is down to start Paris-Nice tomorrow so hopefully we'll have a good result or 2 to talk about this week.

Not too much comparison between Sam and Cav these days, can't see him going on beyond this season.

Not too much comparison between Sam and Cav these days, can't see him going on beyond this season.

He's been saying he's just building back fitness though. These early season races are only to get him going again and the goal is to be right for Tour. I'll believe it when I see it to be honest.

He's been saying he's just building back fitness though. These early season races are only to get him going again and the goal is to be right for Tour. I'll believe it when I see it to be honest.

He's getting completely shelled in every race he does, either not fit, not well, past it or not motivated...
    What ever the cause he's not at the races...

He's getting completely shelled in every race he does, either not fit, not well, past it or not motivated...
    What ever the cause he's not at the races...

Bit sad to see alright. I wonder does he still have the attitude!

Bit sad to see alright. I wonder does he still have the attitude!

Listed as DNF today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cav should have gone last season. He reminds me a bit of Michael schumacher going to Mercedes for one last crack at it when all it does is mediocre results that put a blemish on a great career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

He wouldn't be the first to go on too long.even king Kelly did.

wav1 wrote: »

Wash your mouth out with soap Wav.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cav's just filling time until he qualifies for the IVCA....

wav1 wrote: »

Kelly won MSR at 36 ...dont think he went on too long at all

Listening to Cav on the Cycling Podcast recently he feels he still is the fastest when fit ?? I guess its hard to stop

Geipel is still going and will probably wins some lesser races

The rider I am most confounded by is Kittel...what has happened to him ...he is no where to be seen in races most of the time ...at least Cav has been ill

Kelly won MSR in 1992, rode on for Festina in 1993 but wasn't selected for the TDF that year.
    Rode half a season for Catavana (horrible green shorts !) in 1994 and to be fair was still placing in races if not winning that year.

Cav says he has been ill, not 100% convinced by that or at least not as convinced its the problem he makes it out to be, Kittel has been plagued with depression and that is as real an illness as any..

Greipel a great rider and still winning away :)

I never knew Kittel suffers from depression

Hope he finds his old form as he was unbeatable a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Up ya boya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

neris wrote: »
    Cav should have gone last season. He reminds me a bit of Michael schumacher going to Mercedes for one last crack at it when all it does is mediocre results that put a blemish on a great career

Not sure of that comparison though. Schumacher’s legacy with Mercedes is that he helped develop the team to where it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Re: Cav... guy's gotta get paid. It's his job.

Advertisement