Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd imagine they mean Capwell

There are just a handful of routes passing there and I've never seen a bus stop there to allow a driver go on a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The bus system needs to be redesigned asap. There needs to be more routes and more busses.the average cost of running each bus would need to come down,therefore drivers pay would need to be reduced. I think at this stage it needs to be done for the health of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

There are just a handful of routes passing there and I've never seen a bus stop there to allow a driver go on a break.

The 219,from CIT to Mahon, stops there every day around 1pm so the drivers can change. The passengers on the bus, myself included, just have to sit there while the drivers have a grand chat before deciding to get us to our destination, once again, late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Always see people chancing their arm by driving down the wrong way on one way streets to access OP Street. Completely ignorant carry on..
    ofcork wrote: »
    Ban starts at 3 I was there today still a few cars on pana and also a couple drove down oliver plunkett st too.

Barriers on Pembroke Street have been left down permanently for the last few weeks so volume of cars driving through pedestrians on Oliver Plunkett Street during day has increased. Taxis have also begun stopping outside dry cleaners again touting for business.
    In my opinion it is ruining the street but assume policy makers have their reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The 219,from CIT to Mahon, stops there every day around 1pm so the drivers can change. The passengers on the bus, myself included, just have to sit there while the drivers have a grand chat before deciding to get us to our destination, once again, late.

I've seen this type of behaviour on several routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Why is it that Eoin English has a constant stream of "News" on this topic? It's a non story for most, bar a few whiners who won't pay their rates.

Peej is on Twitter today too giving the Fried Chicken guy more voice. He's whinging now because Cook St was closed for the lights being switched on tonight.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Why is it that Eoin English has a constant stream of "News" on this topic? It's a non story for most, bar a few whiners who won't pay their rates.

Peej is on Twitter today too giving the Fried Chicken guy more voice. He's whinging now because Cook St was closed for the lights being switched on tonight.

That guy's main problem is that his end of Cook street is almost deserted since Pennys bought up most of the buildings for their expansion which hasn't even started and the buildings lie idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

That guy's main problem is that his end of Cook street is almost deserted since Pennys bought up most of the buildings for their expansion which hasn't even started and the buildings lie idle.

As far as I can see, there are a number of stores on that part of Cook St. (Framemaker, The Shack, shoe store, a cafe?)

I think the guy's main problem is similar to Susan Ryan.. a business that is just not doing well and probably mainly due to the owner being stuck in the past.

Mardyke wrote: »
    As far as I can see, there are a number of stores on that part of Cook St. (Framemaker, The Shack, shoe store, a cafe?)

I think the guy's main problem is similar to Susan Ryan.. a business that is just not doing well and probably mainly due to the owner being stuck in the past.

The shoe store is the only place open on that side of the street. The Framemaker is unlikely to create much footfall. Street is really deserted most of the day and this has been the way for quite a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Bad news for anyone in favour of the ban being lifted for the Christmas shopping season.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/no-reversal-of-st-patricks-street-car-ban-despite-calls-for-suspension-888266.html

• Advertisement

Gardai refusing to release information as to whether any cars have been fined for ignoring the ban. Traffic jam of cars ignoring the ban last Sunday again.
    Gardai ignoring the lawbreakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Magnatu wrote: »
    Gardai refusing to release information as to whether any cars have been fined for ignoring the ban. Traffic jam of cars ignoring the ban last Sunday again.

Can you direct us to the press conference or article that suggests the refused to release the info?

flexcon wrote: »
    Can you direct us to the press conference or article that suggests the refused to release the info?

Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin said motorists caught driving in the bus lanes during the 3pm-6.30pm ban on private cars are being dealt with by way of caution.

He was responding to questions from Senator Jerry Buttimer at a meeting of the Cork City Joint Policing Committee this week.

Mr Buttimer asked gardaí to comment on the policing issues which have arisen

Chief Supt McPolin said he does not have statistics for how many motorists have been fined for driving in the bus lanes

Mr Buttimer welcomed the comments: “It’s good to see that it’s not just a garda standing on the street with a notebook. It demonstrates that the city is open for business."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin said motorists caught driving in the bus lanes during the 3pm-6.30pm ban on private cars are being dealt with by way of caution.

He was responding to questions from Senator Jerry Buttimer at a meeting of the Cork City Joint Policing Committee this week.
    Would you care to complete the sentence you cut short?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would you care to complete the sentence you cut short?

Sure. They seem to be saying to that if the same guard sees the same car driving in the bus lane multiple times they could be fined. Theoretically

Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin said motorists caught driving in the bus lanes during the 3pm-6.30pm ban on private cars are being dealt with by way of caution in the first instance but he warned that persistent offenders will face fines

test

Gardai refusing to release information as to whether any cars have been fined for ignoring the ban.

By your own quote, this is ACTUALLY what was said

Chief Supt McPolin said he does not have statistics for how many motorists have been fined for driving in the bus lanes

So in your eyes if someone doesn't have the data to back something up, they are guilty as charged that they are refusing. So to not have means to refuse. Could you clarify this?

Traffic jam of cars ignoring the ban last Sunday again.

By your own quote this is ACTUALLY what was said

Again, very interesting interpretation by you. The superintendent says they are dealt with, but you came out of that with the opinion that they are been ignored?

Some weird interpretation you have. Maybe it's me, maybe it's just the way you use language to describe opinions as facts. Very strange though.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sure if they had the numbers, would we even trust them. :rolleyes:

Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin said motorists caught driving in the bus lanes during the 3pm-6.30pm ban on private cars are being dealt with.

Again, very interesting interpretation by you. The superintendent says they are dealt with, but you came out of that with the opinion that they are been ignored?

Some weird interpretation you have.

Take a look at the photo attached of Patrick Street during the ban. In your honest opinion are the lines of cars driving through Patrick Street being ignored or "dealt with"

Sure if they had the numbers, would we even trust them. :rolleyes:

Point is the gardai are refusing to provide the numbers. Do you not wonder why?

• Advertisement

Take a look at the photo attached of Patrick Street during the ban. In your honest opinion are the lines of cars driving through Patrick Street being ignored or "dealt with"

You should then be saying " At times the Gardai are not present on the street"

End of. Then there is no one that can argue back at that. It's a factual statement.

however you have pursued to taint as if the Gardai are NEVER there and the whole thing is a FAILURE and no is being DEALT with.

What would you then say if I posted a photo from a few days ago showing no cars. Are the Gardai then enforcing or is it a case that people are not driving down anyway.Which is it?

Point is the gardai are refusing to provide the numbers. Do you not wonder why?

you are making this up. Nowhere is this shown.

They said they don't have the numbers.

again please answer...

So in your eyes if someone doesn't have the data to back something up, they are guilty as charged that they are refusing. So to not have means to refuse. Could you clarify this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

you are making this up.
    flexcon, that’s all he does, he just makes it up.
    Adding him to the ignore list was one of the best things I did, I suggest you try it out. You’re not going to get a factual based discussion with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gardaí are giving out tickets by the bucket load on Pana at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

To private cars or everyone bar taxi and bus?

Cars and vans in the bus lane. Also to cars parked on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Some photo evidence would be helpful as the anti car ban brigade will, no doubt, claim you are making things up.

Yeah I know. Some lad who was getting a ticket started recording the Garda on his phone and giving him grief and it was getting a bit tense so thought best not to take a picture.

Some photo evidence would be helpful as the anti car ban brigade will, no doubt, claim you are making things up.

If what you are saying is true it would be wonderful news. Gardai we're becoming increasingly uncomfortable with having to justify their inaction.

• Advertisement

If what you are saying is true it would be wonderful news. Gardai we're becoming increasingly uncomfortable with having to justify their inaction.

It is true. I have no reason to lie.....

Advertisement