Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Some photo evidence would be helpful as the anti car ban brigade will, no doubt, claim you are making things up.
    You’re the only one making the request.....
    Photographic evidence is useful for anyone, whatever side they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

That's good to hear.
    There's a few ignorant dickheads feeling a bit hard done by now I'd say. God love them.
    Would be great if John Grace was one of them.

Easy money if the council threw some resources at dishing out parking violation tickets. One loop around town any Saturday and you'd find dozens.

There is a car parked on the footpath every single time I pass Cafe Velo. They could take him every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

slightly off topic but just witnessed an argument on Pana a few moments ago over the junction layout.

Cars were two aside outside the tourist office facing Patricks hill. The lights went green to turn left first, but the first guy in the left lane didn't budge until the lights went full and then proceeded to drive in harmony with the right lane both over the bridge together. At the time I thought your man was some eject ignoring the blaring horns but I then circled back and seen that in fact there isn't even two lans.

It's just one. There are no road markings at all. Some Taxi man mentioned to myself that in fact the "left" lane can go left or straight and the "right" lane can go straight or right and they just have to wait if someone wants to go straight on in the left lane.

What do people think? Logically speaking the Taxi man combined with the lack of road markings suggests there could be some reason to think that is the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mardyke wrote: »
    That's good to hear.
    There's a few ignorant dickheads feeling a bit hard done by now I'd say. God love them.
    Would be great if John Grace was one of them.

Easy money if the council threw some resources at dishing out parking violation tickets. One loop around town any Saturday and you'd find dozens.

There is a car parked on the footpath every single time I pass Cafe Velo. They could take him every day.

No it wouldn't. The money brought in by tickets would be easily eaten up by the extra resources thrown at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

flexcon wrote: »
    slightly off topic but just witnessed an argument on Pana a few moments ago over the junction layout.

Cars were two aside outside the tourist office facing Patricks hill. The lights went green to turn left first, but the first guy in the left lane didn't budge until the lights went full and then proceeded to drive in harmony with the right lane both over the bridge together. At the time I thought your man was some eject ignoring the blaring horns but I then circled back and seen that in fact there isn't even two lans.

It's just one. There are no road markings at all. Some Taxi man mentioned to myself that in fact the "left" lane can go left or straight and the "right" lane can go straight or right and they just have to wait if someone wants to go straight on in the left lane.

What do people think? Logically speaking the Taxi man combined with the lack of road markings suggests there could be some reason to think that is the correct one.

Afaik, taxi man is right. I remember the lanes being marked as such.

On topic : was it in the bus lane only hours and were they private vehicles leaving St. Patrick's Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ive been there waiting to turn left but car in front wants to go straight on imo left lane should be left only,yesterday cars were coming up castle st and some going straight on up paul st during ban time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

On topic : was it in the bus lane only hours and were they private vehicles leaving St. Patrick's Street?

Post time of the post you were replying to; Today, 01:55 and he/she stated that the incident had happened a few minutes before he/she posted. So obviously well after the car ban hours.

Afaik, taxi man is right. I remember the lanes being marked as such.

it was early this morning at about 1am.

I posted it here since i naturally assumed it was a left turning lane but after going back and checking it wasn’t so clear.

Taxi man saw what i was thinking and just started chatting to me (he heard and saw the altercation) and said happens all the time and a guard said you can go straight on and left but that he wasn’t 100% sure.

Post time of the post you were replying to; Today, 01:55 and he/she stated that the incident had happened a few minutes before he/she posted. So obviously well after the car ban hours.

Well done, Miss Marple!

You so clever, me so stoopid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The road you're talking about used to be marked as such - you can go straight from both lanes - I say this as somebody who has had to beep to avoid the car on the right scraping the shít out of my car going on to this - a LOT of people don't seem to know that you can go straight from the two lanes here.

There are similar lanes on Patrick St. funnily enough a straight line back from the junction you're talking about - same story, you can go left or straight from that lane, and the same at the opera house, you can go left or right from the left lane facing the opera house to go towards Paul St.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    The road you're talking about used to be marked as such - you can go straight from both lanes - I say this as somebody who has had to beep to avoid the car on the right scraping the shít out of my car going on to this - a LOT of people don't seem to know that you can go straight from the two lanes here.

There are similar lanes on Patrick St. funnily enough a straight line back from the junction you're talking about - same story, you can go left or straight from that lane, and the same at the opera house, you can go left or right from the left lane facing the opera house to go towards Paul St.

funny. So I did it today. I went into the left lane. Got blasted out of it. Stuck to my ground. Then got blasted out of it for going straight by the right lane.

I'd love to know what the story really is with it.

At least with Opera lane it shows on the ground you can go left.
    Actually speaking of this Junction coming from the gate cinema direction, where by the opera house is on your right....

That right lane can go left also. I have often gone left from that lane to reach the outer lane on the next junction on the bridge. Lost count how many times I have got cut off from the left lane bashing in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

marno21 wrote: »

Delighted that gardai have finally responded to all the criticism and changed their policy.

Magnatu wrote: »
    Delighted that gardai have finally responded to all the criticism and changed their policy.

So you have now changed your tune and are 100% behind the private car ban?

So you have now changed your tune and are 100% behind the private car ban?

I have always been 100% behind the ban.

My only issue since August was the refusal to enforce it. It now looks like this might be being addressed as a result of pressure. A previous poster said that gardai had issued fines a few days ago and now the garda twitter account has posted a pic of one motorist being fined.

This by the way totally contradicts what the Garda spokesman Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin said only last week when defending lack of enforcement. He said only individual motorists that had been noted to have broken the law on multiple separate occasions would face the possibility of a fine and that the verbal warning policy would continue. So looks like the gardai were shamed in to changing the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I have always been 100% behind the ban.

My only issue since August was the refusal to enforce it. It now looks like this might be being addressed as a result of pressure. A previous poster said that gardai had issued fines a few days ago and now the garda twitter account has posted a pic of one motorist being fined.

This by the way totally contradicts what the Garda spokesman Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin said only last week when defending lack of enforcement. He said only individual motorists that had been noted to have broken the law on multiple separate occasions would face the possibility of a fine and that the verbal warning policy would continue. So looks like the gardai were shamed in to changing the policy.

Maybe it was a strategy decided upon upfront.... to communicate and then promote and coax with a light approach... followed by warnings and finally tickets for the absolute arseholes that insist on ignoring the laws.

:mad:
    Mardyke wrote: »
    finally tickets for the absolute arseholes that insist on ignoring the laws.

Hopefully fining that motorist wasn't a one off pr exercise. Will be interesting to come in to town next Sunday and see whether rumours of change of policy will have any affect on the volume of private cars driving through Patrick Street during the ban hours. Or whether gardai have the resolve to issue a few more fines.
    But don't want to be too negative. This is a very positive and welcome development.

So looks like the gardai were shamed in to changing the policy.

Yeah and you were the group leader.

Yes, I think congratulations are in order!
    A job well done and it never got repetitive or anything!

Yes, I think congratulations are in order!
    A job well done and it never got repetitive or anything!

Will assume sarcasm but Garda policy of non enforcement which was agreed to appease the CBA would not have been changed without public pressure. The chief superintendent came across very badly at joint policing committee meeting last week and tied himself in knots trying to justify it. The refusal to release figures and saying "persistent offenders might face fines" made him look like an idiot. There was also widespread public disquiet at the amount of cars ignoring the ban and several media reports highlighting the situation. So to say gardai we're shamed into enforcing the law is not inaccurate.
    This is also premature and based on evidence of one car being fined. Let's withhold judgement until we see Garda reaction to the ban breakers next Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I was driving around Washington Street and Grand Parade on Tuesday around 17:00-17:30, and there seemed to be freely flowing private vehicles going on to Patrick Street, despite the road markings and huge electronic display board.

I was driving around Washington Street and Grand Parade on Tuesday around 17:00-17:30, and there seemed to be freely flowing private vehicles going on to Patrick Street, despite the road markings and huge electronic display board.

So it appears the pic of a Garda fining a single car may have been a PR stunt and the policy of non enforcement remains in force.

There is no legal left turn on to Patrick Street from Washington Street while ban is in force so fact that large volumes of cars continue to do so makes it clear that CBA direction to gardai is still active.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Saw a squad car pull over two private vehicles outside easons yesterday at 5pm. Both got tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

alanucc wrote: »
    Saw a squad car pull over two private vehicles outside easons yesterday at 5pm. Both got tickets
    Clearly a PR stunt, they weren't Gardaí but actually actors hired by the CBA. Since Magnatu has provided proof that the CBA are the string-pullers in the force they've had to stop sending real members out, lest they discover the full depth of the conspiracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Saw cars driving freely through pana during the ban all week with no consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

So it appears the pic of a Garda fining a single car may have been a PR stunt and the policy of non enforcement remains in force.

There is no legal left turn on to Patrick Street from Washington Street while ban is in force so fact that large volumes of cars continue to do so makes it clear that CBA direction to gardai is still active.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions - that's what I saw within a short timeframe on one day this week. I saw maybe 5 cars drive through bus lane.

Maybe the guards were there earlier in the day stopping cars and issuing fines, but I don't know if they have the resources to have someone policing traffic on that street during the whole operating hours of the restrictions. Probably not? On the grand scale of things, it's not going to be their highest priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

There is always going to be some chancers going down Patrick st during the ban. Some of them will get away with it, some will get caught. As long as some fines are being issued, the message will get out there about the ban. Don't really see why people are getting so worked up about seeing some private cars on Patrick st. during the ban. If these people do it enough, they will eventually get caught and learn their lesson.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    There is always going to be some chancers going down Patrick st during the ban. Some of them will get away with it, some will get caught. As long as some fines are being issued, the message will get out there about the ban. Don't really see why people are getting so worked up about seeing some private cars on Patrick st. during the ban. If these people do it enough, they will eventually get caught and learn their lesson.

certainly some truth to this. Its changing learned behavior. In some cases this takes a long time.

mean gene wrote: »
    Saw cars driving freely through pana during the ban all week with no consequences
    I
    I don't know if they have the resources to have someone policing traffic on that street during the whole operating hours of the restrictions.
    timmyjimmy wrote: »
    As long as some fines are being issued, the message will get out there about the ban. .
    certainly some truth to this. Its changing learned behavior. In some cases this takes a long time.

The ban came into force in early August and the "light touch" enforcement is clearly not working.
    The argument put forward by the chief superintendent that An Garda Siochana do not have the resources to enforce a three and a half hour ban on one street is in my opinion bull****. It would take one guard for one hour a day for the message to get out.

Think about it. The gardai know the exact time and place where people with be breaking the law this afternoon and they are going to let them get away with it.

• Advertisement

You have stated this several times previously with not one shred of evidence. What almighty power do the CBA have over the Gardaí that they can issue directives to them?

Advertisement