Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sure there's more traffic using that route now but I can't see how that makes the drivers clowns. If its causing delays the council should address it. Maybe they could change the sequencing of the lights at Kyrl's Quay or add the road outside Argos to the restrictions. The people using it are doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's also deliberately misleading to say that cars are turning left from Washington Street onto St. Patrick's Street. You turn left onto The Grand Parade which isn't restricted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

TheChizler wrote: »
    If its causing delays the council should address it. Maybe they could change the sequencing of the lights at Kyrl's Quay or add the road outside Argos to the restrictions. The people using it are doing nothing wrong.

They absolutely are doing something wrong. The Washington Street bus lane is bus only from 3:00pm to 6:30pm. The lines of cars that are using it are acting illegally. In order to get in the queue to drive through the pedestrian priority zone and hold up the busses that have to wait behind the tailback they have to first break the law by illegally using a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Its actually a 24hr bus lane from the courthouse so there should be no cars in it anytime,does Patrick st end at daunt square if so cars coming up grand parade would be ok going up the coal quay.

Magnatu wrote: »
    They absolutely are doing something wrong. The Washington Street bus lane is bus only from 3:00pm to 6:30pm. The lines of cars that are using it are acting illegally. In order to get in the queue to drive through the pedestrian priority zone and hold up the busses that have to wait behind the tailback they have to first break the law by illegally using a bus lane.
    Unless they came from the grand parade, in which case they did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

Nope. But stopping the cars that are using the Washington Street bus lane would make a major difference. The proper thing to do of course would be to block off access to Daunt Square for all cars. Force them to go around rather than through the pedestrian priority zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Hard to understand people coming from the west using Washington st to turn left should have gone left by the mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

That's an interesting quirk I find in this scenario. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Was there earlier today, strange set-up. From the courthouse heading towards the Grand Parade, inside lane is a bus lane all day until about 50 metres from the top where the road markings state that it is a bus lane from 15.00 to 18.30. So, it would seem to me that, during that 3.5 hour period, you must not cross over from the outside lane in the last 50 metres to turn left onto the Grand Parade. Outside of that time, it seems ok to do so.

inside lane is a bus lane all day until about 50 metres from the top where the road markings state that it is a bus lane from 15.00 to 18.30. So, it would seem to me that, during that 3.5 hour period, you must not cross over from the outside lane in the last 50 metres to turn left onto the Grand Parade.

Exactly. Perhaps you also noticed the Gardai standing by deliberately and obviously refusing to enforce the road traffic laws.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cars flying through all day today during the ban period not a guard in sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mean gene wrote: »
    Cars flying through all day today during the ban period not a guard in sight
    Does this really surprise you? I mean, Gardai resources are tight as it is, having them babysit both ends of the street everyday for 3.5hrs is a waste. By now the Council should have either bollards or a camera system installed to manage it and issue fines. This is incompetence by the City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Does this really surprise you? I mean, Gardai resources are tight as it is, having them babysit both ends of the street everyday for 3.5hrs is a waste. By now the Council should have either bollards or a camera system installed to manage it and issue fines. This is incompetence by the City Council.
    The cameras would be ideal and pay for themselves rather quickly if it's being flaunted as much as has been reported on here.

D'Agger wrote: »
    The cameras would be ideal and pay for themselves rather quickly if it's being flaunted as much as has been reported on here.
    Are bus-lane cameras allowed by law? Is this something the City Council have any control over?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've stated this before but one solitary garda at the Academy Street junction could police this restriction.

I really don't see how having one garda on our city's main street is seen as a waste of resources. I think the lack of police presence on our streets is an issue and policing this would actually improve this situation.

I've stated this before but one solitary garda at the Academy Street junction could police this restriction.
    It shouldn't require any Gardai resources, it's a total waste of their time.

We're about 9 months since they first began the scheme, and they still have no plan for enforcement. The wastefulness of resources and time continues, even thought this was highlighted right when it was first announced. There is a car ban during certain times on Oliver Plunkett Street, we don't expect the Gardai to be watching it during those times either. Just as we don't expect them to monitor every junction to ensure people don't break lights.

This is a City Council initiative, they should get off their asses and sort it out.

They do have bollards on Plunkett St. though I believe so there is a level of enforcement.

I agree there should be no need for Gardaí to police a simple car ban - the council are responsible here.

@ TheChizler - I don't know about Bus Lane cameras or the law surrounding it, but I would have thought the Gardaí are able to police our streets via CCTV / Central operations. I'm open to correction but does O'Connell St. have CCTV installed or are we solely reliant on CCTV of traders? A quick google shows ADA-Security have provided solutions to the Gardaí and they offer Town CCTV solutions it seems.

Either way, this has been implemented with no form of control, a bit of a hit and hope job. There should be more thought put into the solutions implemented - particularly to the main artery of Cork city

They do have bollards on Plunkett St. though I believe so there is a level of enforcement.
    I have seen, any others mentioned it as well, some people bypassing the bollards (on the one way streets). And I don't want the Gardai sitting there for the day either.

There will unfortunately be people that just won't obey the rules/signs/laws, so there's has to be an alternative way for enforcement. Any issues with cameras being used to issue fines should have been sorted a long time ago; it's not like the ban hasn't being in the works for a long time now.

@ TheChizler - I don't know about Bus Lane cameras or the law surrounding it, but I would have thought the Gardaí are able to police our streets via CCTV / Central operations. I'm open to correction but does O'Connell St. have CCTV installed or are we solely reliant on CCTV of traders? A quick google shows ADA-Security have provided solutions to the Gardaí and they offer Town CCTV solutions it seems.
    Well if you're going to have a Garda sitting watching CCTV you might as well have them on the street where their presence will work as a deterrent.

I never believed that the intention of the restrictions was about bringing the number of private vehicles on the street to zero, that if the numbers using it are significantly reduced and bus times improve etc. it'll be regarded as a success. I can't see there being much of an initiative to enforce unless traffic becomes a problem again.

Well if you're going to have a Garda sitting watching CCTV you might as well have them on the street where their presence will work as a deterrent.
    The adv of CCTV, is you’ve one person monitoring multiple cameras at once. I was told some time back that there is this facility in Anglesea Street, and I’ve worked in Control Rooms with numerous monitors providing a view on multiple areas; it works very well.
    I never believed that the intention of the restrictions was about bringing the number of private vehicles on the street to zero
    I think you might be right about this. It called a car ban, it’s getting some enforcement, and it’s gotten plenty of attention. But like a lot of initiatives, it’s success is only going to be judged by those running it; and the current situation makes it look like they have implemented it, succeeded with it, and generally happy enough with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have seen, any others mentioned it as well, some people bypassing the bollards (on the one way streets). And I don't want the Gardai sitting there for the day either.

There will unfortunately be people that just won't obey the rules/signs/laws, so there's has to be an alternative way for enforcement. Any issues with cameras being used to issue fines should have been sorted a long time ago; it's not like the ban hasn't being in the works for a long time now.

The amount of people who try to get onto OP Street by going the wrong way down the 1 way streets is ludicrous. What is wrong with these people??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I agree there should be no need for Gardaí to police a simple car ban - the council are responsible here.

The council are not actually responsible. Only the Gardaí can enforce road traffic laws when it comes to people illegally using bus lanes. That's set down in statute in our laws. The only traffic enforcement that a council employed warden can undertake is issue tickets for illegal parking and expired tax discs - nothing else.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The council are not actually responsible. Only the Gardaí can enforce road traffic laws when it comes to people illegally using bus lanes. That's set down in statute in our laws. The only traffic enforcement that a council employed warden can undertake is issue tickets for illegal parking and expired tax discs - nothing else.
    Was not aware cheers for clearing that up for me!

I see city hall has free parking daily from 2pm to 5pm in Paul street and North Main street car parks for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I see city hall has free parking daily from 2pm to 5pm in Paul street and North Main street car parks for the next month.

Anymore public transport initiatives? Like the €1 fares.

We really should be promoting the use of public transport more.

Don't see the point of this. I know it's a quieter time of the year, but why invite extra cars into the city while you are running another initiative to try speed up buses. Maybe have the free parking between 11am and 2pm if you are trying to appease traders. City Hall haven't a clue.

............. I would have thought the Gardaí are able to police our streets via CCTV / Central operations. I'm open to correction but does O'Connell St. have CCTV installed or are we solely reliant on CCTV of traders?..............

I was on the phone to AGS based at Anglesea Street iirc a few years ago ...... they had CCTV all down the South Mall. I was following a lad who had robbed another guy.

I presume they'd have Patrick Street covered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Could you not have a newby Garda sitting at a monitor taking screen shots of a CCTV of cars breaking the law? Send out fines like they do for speeding?

I passed along Patrick St yesterday at about 5pm and in the few minutes it took me to walk from Grand parade to Patricks Bridge I saw 20 or 30 cars breaking the law without anything happen.

If all these could be fined by camera it would quickly solve the problem.

I'd like to think illegal parking on Coal Quay and other places could be dealt with like this too.

Don't see the point of this. I know it's a quieter time of the year, but why invite extra cars into the city while you are running another initiative to try speed up buses. Maybe have the free parking between 11am and 2pm if you are trying to appease traders. City Hall haven't a clue.

It's a direct response to the claim that car drivers are avoiding the city centre during the times of the car ban on pana. Extra usage of those car parks should have little or no effect on public transport. Some of the traders complaining about the ban scored a spectacular own goal when they had people convinced that the city centre was in gridlock when it simply wasn't.

• Advertisement

It's a direct response to the claim that car drivers are avoiding the city centre during the times of the car ban on pana.
    But that's what the Council want. Less cars usage in the city center, improve bus times, and get people using public transport. Enticing extra traffic into the city center during the time when the main artery through the city is closed to cars, just makes no sense if buses end up behind additional traffic on the other routes.

Advertisement