Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Magnatu wrote: »
    The ban came into force in early August and the "light touch" enforcement is clearly not working.

Would you drive down the Patrick st. during the traffic ban?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Would you drive down the Patrick st. during the traffic ban?

No. Because I fully support the ban.
    However I am not averse to a little civil disobedience so if I disagreed with the ban in principle as many do then the answer would be yes. I would chance if as the possibility of being fined is very low.

flexcon wrote: »
    certainly some truth to this. Its changing learned behavior. In some cases this takes a long time.

Exactly . The learned behavior before was that it was unacceptable to break road traffic laws and if you did there would be consequences.
    The new behavior that motorists have been learning since August is that you can ignore road traffic laws like not being allowed to drive in lbus lanes or through pedestrianised streets and you will more than likely get away with it. Gaurds will turn a blind eye to your lawbreaking. With only a tiny prospect of a fine.

Barriers have been deliberately left down on Pembroke Street for several weeks now to give cars easier access to Oliver Plunkett Street during daytime. Motorists are slowly realising that they can now drive through pedestrians on that street without consequences. Another example of "learned behavior"

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Magnatu wrote: »
    No. Because I fully support the ban.
    However I am not averse to a little civil disobedience so if I disagreed with the ban in principle as many do then the answer would be yes. I would chance if as the possibility of being fined is very low.

Cork's version of Malcolm X

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Magnatu, I see motorists breaking red lights, parking on footpaths, breaking the speed limit and blocking junctions on a daily basis in and around Cork city. Can we extrapolate from this that the Gardaí are refusing to police these rules? And, if so, at whose bequest are the Gardaí acting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Why are the barriers being left down on Pembroke st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

ofcork wrote: »
    Why are the barriers being left down on Pembroke st?

Probably to piss magnatu off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Can somebody please advise if the car ban is still in operation 7 days a week?

Because this evening while on the bus, I passed at least 10-15 cars all driving up and down Patrick Street during the ban hours.

In force but not being enforced ��

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Was in town on Thursday and saw the guards pulling plenty of private cars outside waterstones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The leaked plans of the proposed Ballincollig to Mahon point luas scheme seem to indicate that the route will use Patrick St. With that in mind, the ban will likely be extended to 05:00-00:00. I think psychologically this changes things for drivers, firstly, they won't drive on tracks, too offputting, and secondly the day long ban has proven to be much more effectively enforced in Dublin than pissy little 2 or 3 hour bans.

Allowing cars to illegally use bus lane on Washington street has dramatically increased volumes of cars driving through pedestrian priority zones of Cornmarket Street and Paul Street. Car volumes on pedestrianised Oliver Plunkett Street daytime has increased significantly since Pembroke Street was opened up to allow cars access. Private car volumes on bus lanes on Patrick Street as high as ever at weekend.
    There is a strategy at work here but it is the completely wrong one.

On a side note there are no traffic wardens on Sunday now coming up to Christmas and no gardai at grand parade car park either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

In there yesterday cars up and down pana during the ban no guard in sight

The sooner they go 24hr with it the better

Put up bollards on streets that buses don't use

And get a licence recognition device installed for either end of Patrick St

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was in town on Saturday and Sunday and Saturday there was more cars on Patrick Street than Sunday, I counted about 4 or 5 in the 2 hours I was up and down and in and out of shops.

One of those cars was someone who had parked on Patrick Street before the ban, I recognised the car from earlier.

Was parked in Paul Street and it took about 40mins to get out of the City on Saturday, it was a nightmare.

Mardyke wrote: »
    The sooner they go 24hr with it the better

Put up bollards on streets that buses don't use

And get a licence recognition device installed for either end of Patrick St

The sooner they scrap it the better. Joke of a system ruining traffic flow in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

The sooner they scrap it the better. Joke of a system ruining traffic flow in the city.

Myself and my 60 buddies on the bus are loving the new Traffic flow. Just now have to work out who is more important in life. You or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Has it actually made a significant improvement with the buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Has it actually made a significant improvement with the buses?

So I use the bus 3 times a week, maybe less depending on where work starts and all 3 are within that window.

Honestly, It has. I couldn't say by how much but it zips down the street. It's the CIT bus route I'd take and it probably knocks off 20mins average?

Before the ban you are caught either side of Patrick street at the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I find that walking along Patrick St at the moment is stressing me out! I’m spotting the two or three cars that are driving along and ranting to myself and staring them out of it. Turning into a cranky old man at 35!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Guards out in force this evening preventing access to the street and issuing tickets in Academy street.
    Anecdotal evidence suggests major improvement in bus times while the ban is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gard stopping traffic there now, saw 3 cars getting a talking to and tickets for each. String of cars awaiting their fate too

Mushy wrote: »
    Gard stopping traffic there now, saw 3 cars getting a talking to and tickets for each. String of cars awaiting their fate too

That's good.

I was observing for about 15 mins at approx 3.45pm today, at the Capitol....

Generally there was not many cars breaking the law on Patrick St.

The main problem I saw was the queue of cars in the bus lane coming up Washington St. That combined with the queue of clowns going onto Coal Quay by Argos meant that buses were being held up.

I can't understand what would bring someone along that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That combined with the queue of clowns going onto Coal Quay by Argos meant that buses were being held up.
    What's the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheChizler wrote: »

Because they shouldn't be there between 3pm and 6.30pm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There are no restrictions on heading down the Coal Quay from outside Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I took the issue as being all those cars illegally clogging up the bus lane on Washington Street looking to turn left onto Grand Parade and then down the Coal Quay.

I took the issue as being all those cars illegally clogging up the bus lane on Washington Street looking to turn left onto Grand Parade and then down the Coal Quay.
    Well they said "that combined with" which I presume means two separate issues being combined :)

• Advertisement

The main problem I saw was the queue of cars in the bus lane coming up Washington St. That combined with the queue of clowns going onto Coal Quay by Argos meant that buses were being held up.

I can't understand what would bring someone along that route![/QUOTE]

The lines of cars that use the left hand lane to turn from Washington Street onto Patrick Street are doing so illegally. That is a bus only lane between 3:00pm to 6:30pm. At the moment the Gardai are refusing to enforce the law by taking action against them.
    This has a few effects. It allows some cars to continue on down Patrick Street.
    Many others turn onto Daunts Square but this backs up and the queue of cars blocks buses slowing them down considerably.
    This area is also a pedestrian priority zone but the lines of cars turning onto Paul street or continuing down Cornmarket street has totally destroyed its possibilities as a pedestrian friendly zone, It is instead clogged with cars.

There is a very easy obvious solution which the Gardai are at moment resisting.
    Stop cars illegally using the Washington street bus lane
    IMG_20181220_164944.jpg

Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 22.15.49.pngIMG_20181220_164944.jpg

Advertisement