Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just in relation to the cold front.

GFS suggests potential accumulations of upto 10cm in parts by 9am.

Leinster and the Midlands seem to be most at risk from this front.

This seems totally at odds with what the latest Met Eirean warning is. They are saying 2-5cm in Ulster & Connacht with "much less" than that elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Weather Warning

Issued at 04 January 2010 - 15:49
    Weather Warning

Many parts of the country will have further falls of snow tonight and early on Tuesday. North and west Ulster, as well as north Connacht will have accumulations of 2 to 5 cm below 250m while other areas will have much less. However with frozen ground persisting generally, ice will remain a problem in most areas.
    A really typical warning.

Mentioning the bankers like North Connacht etc etc.

Even though this cold front moving south is more likely to bring snow to the midlands and leinster than those locations.

As the cold front moves through snow showers will then become widespread and affect those areas and then transfer to the east through Tuesday.

All this not including our potential Polar Low type feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Raining here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Temprature has just dropped again to below 0 again in West Dublin from a high of + 0.5. Still a whiteout here and not one footpath or side road gritted hence the thick ice and snow since New Year's eve. A joke. By the way lots of horse racing on. No snow in Cheltenham or Wolverhampton or the South Coast of England...make a fortune on betting in this arctic weather.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

snow ghost wrote: »

Trust me my friend, ventilation is the answer as any older person who grew up in Ireland with only a turf fueled range and persistant damp and rain will tell you. The houses here need an exchange of air daily.:)

BTW, any sign of snow yet in Galway???

As my first words said, ventilation IS essential :)
    Heating is just as essential, that was the rest of my reply about :)
    But that only makes sense with proper insulation.

No flakes here yet, I only expect some snow around 10ish... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

GFS is steadily backtracking with regard to the Easterly flow, almost there at T+102 and monumental changes compared with the last two runs.

Meanwhile, GME/DWD is absolutely solid out to T+132 again today, with a very strong Easterly flow developing for the weekend::

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gmee_cartes.php?&ech=132&mode=0

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Didn't risk going to work this morning. Went down the path at the front of my house first thing this morning(in my wheelchair), and couldn't control it, so I didn't even bother getting into my car.

Rang a taxi also, and it was involved in an accident on its way to pick me up!!!!

Oh, and it's f***in' FREEZIN' here!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

According to Ms Anne Doyle's forecast on the radio - obvioulsy updated by Met E - 'only north and north-western counties are likely to have snow accumultations'. :confused:

Just in relation to the cold front.

GFS suggests potential accumulations of upto 10cm in parts by 9am.

Leinster and the Midlands seem to be most at risk from this front.
    The rest of that run seems at odds with the UKMO's last run that I saw though with that cheeky high pressure.
    Just goes to show that sub 24hrs is fi at the moment.
    It doesn't say a whole lot for technology and science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Freezing like mad here , car frozen and now its pouring rain, this freezing rain is really dangerous, i know numerous people that have went off the road today with their cars and have fallen on their backsides while walking. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

ffarrell wrote: »
    Temprature has just dropped again to below 0 again in West Dublin from a high of + 0.5. Still a whiteout here and not one footpath or side road gritted hence the thick ice and snow since New Year's eve. A joke. By the way lots of horse racing on. No snow in Cheltenham or Wolverhampton or the South Coast of England...make a fortune on betting in this arctic weather.;)

Its the same in Naas, absolutely no thaw since NYE.

Was horrible this morning, its not slippy in Kildare but just outside the City Centre on my way to work it was pure ice on all the footpaths, lethal

A really typical warning.

Mentioning the bankers like North Connacht etc etc.

Even though this cold front moving south is more likely to bring snow to the midlands and leinster than those locations.

As the cold front moves through snow showers will then become widespread and affect those areas and then transfer to the east through Tuesday.

All this not including our potential Polar Low type feature.
    Speaking of which-what was the forecast for new years eve and look what the actual was..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Seems we are back into the Christmas day scenario, freezing cold but rain. Its Raining here as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BBC have Dublin down for Heavy Snow tomorrow and more snow on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Cloudy here, but still not totally overcast :(
    It looks nicer to the North though! Maybe, just maybe...
    Frost was permanent the whole day where sun didn't reach. Maybe it's truly better *not* to expect anything at all :D it worked before....

snaps wrote: »
    Seems we are back into the Christmas day scenario, freezing cold but rain. Its Raining here as well.
    Belmullet has 4c so theres your stupid useless atlantic air again.
    We need a beasterly to sort this situation out.
    It's your only man.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    ......and more snow on Friday.

at 5c......I don't think I'll ever understand that site! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

She is snowing in Newbridge , lite enough but snowing all the same :D

Temp 0.4 with a Dp -2.7

EDIT : Stopped now , although it stuck where ever it landed !

BBC have Dublin down for Heavy Snow tomorrow and more snow on Friday.
    not on their news 24 forecasts..
    Sunshine all the way from the humans with the odd rogue flake right by the coast.

• Advertisement

It's your only man.

That's the big fuppin problem - the trough will be bringing a north westerly in front of it and lots of atlantic air.

It's even falling as rain in Avimore in the heart of the Scotish highlands (at 0c).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's the big fuppin problem - the trough will be bringing a north westerly in front of it and lots of atlantic air.

It's even falling as rain in Avimore in the heart of the Scotish highlands (at 0c).

that doesnt give us much hope of seeing snow then:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

THe NAE 12Z has a potent little low pressure for just north of Ireland in the morning....I wonder is that my polar low??? :D The GFS doesn't pick it up.

Also, as a guide for what's required for snow, the 850hPa wet bulb potential temperature is a good indicator (below). At sea level, the 0°C line means a 95% probability that precipitation will be snow.

10010506_0412.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

It's your only man.

Im in Ballinrobe between Claremorris and Tuam. Its 2c here with frost still on the ground here! Driving through conemarra home from work, there was snow falling on high ground, but at sea level its falling as rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Bit of snow fallin :) here in Old Kilcullen, 0.7c.

that doesnt give us much hope of seeing snow then:(

Unless the air modifies in some way (traveliing across Ireland), wind driection changes. Polar low would be good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    THe NAE 12Z has a potent little low pressure for just north of Ireland in the morning....I wonder is that my polar low??? :D The GFS doesn't pick it up.

Also, as a guide for what's required for snow, the 850hPa wet bulb potential temperature is a good indicator (below). At sea level, the 0°C line means a 95% probability that precipitation will be snow.

Is that 0c, Air Temp or DP at sea level ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

UKMO 12Z out to T+120, also holding firm on a renewed Easterly flow, which even develops at T+96:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=&ech=120&carte=1021

In addition, it is once again suggesting various occasions on which snowfall could be widespread, for example tomorrow morning in the East & Southeast:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=&ech=18&carte=1594

Later tomorrow night & into Wednesday, again the East and Southeast as well as parts of the Northwest:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=&ech=18&carte=1594

In addition, the latest UKMO NAE Model has snowfall into Eastern and Southeastern areas into Wednesday also.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bloody hell its cold out!! Just sprinkled some ashes along the garden path, seems that old trick has done the job, for now.

Anyway, air temp here 0.9c and DP of -1.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bloody hell its cold out!! Just sprinkled some ashes along the garden path, seems that old trick has done the job, for now.

Anyway, air temp here 0.9c and DP of -1.2c

Freezin here in West Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement