Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snowing lightly again here near Moate. Nothing much, comes and goes, but at least it proves it is cold enough for it.

Will probably rain tonight here though....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Been bitty in Roscommon near athlone for about two hours and now snowing with dark clouds above. Cars are moving ok at the mo, but it is bad where the sun does not shine on the road. Sad to see that in Dublin the councils can not do more. I'm out in the sticks and would have liked to have got some grit after a few days on what's a secondary road used by lots of people. But in a city its just madness. Here is an example of lower taxation during the celtic tiger while ignoring the fact we have a lot of things that could do with funding. If folks want more salt, snow ploughs etc we will need to pay more tax. But how much is being lost in tips between cars, falls injuring people and the general misery being caused. Still all this will be forgotten about when the next election comes which is usually in the warmer times of the year. We are such an educated electorate after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowing lightly again here near Moate. Nothing much, comes and goes, but at least it proves it is cold enough for it.

Will probably rain tonight here though....:cool:

i see what you're doing. i'll adopt that strategy too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ah that's really disappointing to hear considering it's snowing during the day right now, and given we are supposed to have all the favourable conditions in place now- unlike last wednesday when it was said to be touch and go.

where are you? castlebar?

i see what you're doing. i'll adopt that strategy too;)

Saves much heartache and disappointment. And weatherwise, I've had many ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I must admit that I cannot stand Gerry Murphy, the Carrickmacross Cowboy. His forecasts are as accurate as my algebra (crap) and they lack passion and enthusiasm. They are drap, uninspiring:mad: and boring just like him I would suspect.

snaps wrote: »
    where are you? castlebar?

Swinford. You?

Saves much heartache and disappointment. And weatherwise, I've had many ;)

as have we all:)

meanwhile the snow has stopped now and the sun is peeking through the clouds

Light snow has stopped. Snowshoes put away for a while anyway, it was a blink and you'll miss it type fall.

Sky still grey and brownish looking - a real wintery sky at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

as have we all:)

meanwhile the snow has stopped now and the sun is peeking through the clouds

Looks like radar is back working, I think I see your snow shower there.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Light drizzling rain here at sea level in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Light flurries of snow on and off here since about 12.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Getting pretty dark here in Galway... not expecting any snow till very late in the evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Some photos of the area around Lugalla. (Bandwidth heavy!)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63783073#post63783073

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Swinford. You?

Hardy bucks in Swinford!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

OK, time to put my head on the line here and make a call. :o

I'm going with the formation of a polar low off the north coast of Scotland tonight. The conditions seem to be in place, though I would like to see that pool of -40°C a bit more widespread. But anyway...

A small system has been developing off the coast of Norway this morning, and will make it north of Scotland later this evening.

100826.gif

With the upper cold pool and trough in place, plus upper divergence from a 110knot jet streak running south from Iceland, the upper support is there.

100830.gif

At 850hPa a nice baroclinic zone exists from the occlusion of the Norweigan system.

100827.gif

The system should move in a southwesterly direction, probably over the Hebrides and Western Scotland. This may stop it developing fully, but it could still mean decent falls for the northeast tomorrow. :D

Of course the above could all be a loada shyte and we'll get rain..... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Some photos of the area around Lugalla. (Bandwidth heavy!)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63783073#post63783073
    Incredible Ranger. Thanks for sharing. Its like another country altogether. If this cold spell is going to continue some landowner up there should open up a few ski routes and advertise same. He would make a killing (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

temp riseing here,thaw going on
    1.0/-1 at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for having the courage to write this. As you know from our private correspondence, I feel the same as you and I think an increasing number of other posters.

I am shamed that I did not mail this sooner; thank you for prompting me.

The threat to life and limb, the cost to councils and to businesses, the strain on already overstretched emergency services seem to matter little here.

Many are like myself, unable to leave our homes for nearly three weeks now. I have a voice; many others do not and it is just a matter of time now before we start reading of deaths through hypothermia among the old who truly deserve better.

Or through lack of essential food and medication.

The ones I usually visit I cannot get to. Please God they are safe.

And it gets worse and worse now for more and more.

I know; snow is rare and unusual and dramatic and pretty. But at such a length of time now, it is also a killer.

A two edged sword.

So this wholesale enthusiam which is not in many cases forecasting r scientific, is more and more coming across as... well, words fail, or rather would get me banned for life here; and I am nor easily provoked to anger.

Please, show some responsibilty and maturity?

And please, read this and act on it.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/public-urged-to-check-elderly-in-cold-snap-440641.html

Lives depend on us .

I am quitting here because I cannot endure to read more of this.

Some of the messages are beyond belief.

My deepest thanks to the member here who cared and was responsible enough to drive a long distance and who got stuck getting up here and down again, to bring fuel.

He will be mightily blessed. Indeed he will!

Because up here no one else cared one iota. And still do not. I had already risked life and limb to get supplies in ; see "There and back and in between. "

So I can survive this ongoing appalling weather with equanimity now and continue with my work also.

Albeit with no bathroom or washing faciltiies.

Because it only takes one person to save a bad situation. Indeed to save a life.

The moderators here do an amazing job and I will miss so many of you; and I thank most warmly and sincerely all who have messaged me and have shown so much humour here that has cheered these days

If anyone needs me I am on anchoresscj at yahoo dot com.

Here? There has been more snow which has frozen and now freezing fog.

And feeding a whole flock of birds and now a half starved cat also who is never fed at home it seems.

A deadly beauty.

Blessings and peace to all here.

I'm simply amazed at the amount of people who are hoping and praying that we get a load of snow. I guess they must never need to leave their homes!

I hope we get no more snow at all. I'm sick of this cold weather at this stage. I want it gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

in a purely IMBY way I hope this polar low slides down the West Coast, that's if it does indeed develop. east coasters will get there snow towards the end of the week anyway. I was hoping the skies would be clear before these weak fronts appear and allow a short sharp frost but it's cloudy now here in Galway with snow reports in Nth Galway County

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is because of a post like this that I am quitting boards.

REALLY!
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    You SHOULD BE BANNED for saying such a thing on this forum!

D11 SNOW COME ONN!!!!!! WOO!

Heavier burst of snow there now, and then it eases off. Haven't really expected to see any precip today, although it's hardly amounted to anything other than a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Graces7 wrote: »

REALLY!

Eh he was joking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Thanks for having the courage to write this. As you know from our private correspondence, I feel the same as you and I think an increasing number of other posters.

I am shamed that I did not mail this sooner; thank you for prompting me.

The threat to life and limb, the cost to councils and to businesses, the strain on already overstretched emergency services seem to matter little here.

Many are like myself, unable to leave our homes for nearly three weeks now. I have a voice; many others do not and it is just a matter of time now before we start reading of deaths through hypothermia among the old who truly deserve better.

Or through lack of essential food and medication.

The ones I usually visit I cannot get to. Please God they are safe.

And it gets worse and worse now for more and more.

I know; snow is rare and unusual and dramatic and pretty. But at such a length of time now, it is also a killer.

A two edged sword.

So this wholesale enthusiam which is not in many cases forecasting r scientific, is more and more coming across as... well, words fail, or rather would get me banned for life here; and I am nor easily provoked to anger.

And please, read this and act on it.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/public-urged-to-check-elderly-in-cold-snap-440641.html

Lives depend on us .

I am quitting here because I cannot endure to read more of this.

Some of the messages are beyond belief.

My deepest thanks to the member here who cared and was responsible enough to drive a long distance and who got stuck getting up here and down again, to bring fuel.

He will be mightily blessed. Indeed he will!

Because up here no one else cared one iota. And still do not. I had already risked life and limb to get supplies in ; see "There and back and in between. "

So I can survive this ongoing appalling weather with equanimity now and continue with my work also.

Albeit with no bathroom or washing faciltiies.

Because it only takes one person to save a bad situation. Indeed to save a life.

The moderators here do an amazing job and I will miss so many of you; and I thank most warmly and sincerely all who have messaged me and have shown so much humour here that has cheered these days

If anyone needs me I am on anchoresscj at yahoo dot com.

Here? There has been more snow which has frozen and now freezing fog.

And feeding a whole flock of birds and now a half starved cat also who is never fed at home it seems.

A deadly beauty.

Blessings and peace to all here.

Graces7 - most peoples' interest in the cold weather snap here does not equate with a lack of interest in the plight of elderly people, etc, adversely affected by this cold snap. If anything these boards may give people an early warning of what the weather Gods have in store for us, and as such is a positive in preparing for it.

Wishing for snow here will not make it happen, what will be will be.

Be safe and warm. :)

REALLY!
    [FONT=&quot]Grace,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I think the vast majority of people who post here are responsible and mature. This thread is designed to discuss the potential for snow. While most of us are mindful of the hardship it has/will bring some people, we are continuing to discuss the potential for further snow. We are not doing so in the hope that further hardship will be brought to those already suffering. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Additional posters who express their desire to see snow are only expressing their wishes and they cannot be criticised for that. The best thing about Boards.ie is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. That’s why you are right in your view as is the guy or girl who posts that they want more and more snow. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Don’t quit boards. Youhave provided a valuable input to discussions here and I for one would be sad to see you go.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Wolfe[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Eh he was joking

It dose not matter what he is saying because he was saying what he though and that is happenif to many times....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Seriously ...this is the weather forum, so naturally weather in all its facettes is the topic here.

Some people lose the plot somewhat, but it is not that they wish for elderly people to die of hypothermia, but for two foot of snow at their door to play in ...a pretty harmless wish as such.

Either way, all the wishing in the world is not going to change what mother nature will or won't do, so it is coming it a bit high to ask for people to show responsibility for something they have no influence over.

If you know of real emergency cases ...ring the gardai or social services.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snow ghost wrote: »
    Graces7 - most peoples' interest in the cold weather snap here does not equate with a lack of interest in the plight of elderly people, etc, adversely affected by this cold snap. If anything these boards may give people an early warning of what the weather Gods have in store for us, and as such is a positive in preparing for it.

Wishing for snow here will not make it happen, what will be will be.

+1

Was just writing something along these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Graces7, I'm sorry that you've had to endure such poor conditions at your location and hope that you see some relief from it soon.

I wouldn't take the frivolity of some of the discussion to heart. Also, there is no malice. For most of us, snow is novel and in the main not life-threatening and it is the chance for something out of the ordinary, that drives the excitement. I have no doubt that reality would set in very quickly in the event of serious widespread snow.

At the end of the day, not one of us has any control over the weather, regardless of what we might sometimes wish for. As I often read on these forums, the weather will do what it will do.

Keep safe.

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    OK, time to put my head on the line here and make a call. :o

that low pressure system is heading SW all the time. It will need to start heading S or SE by tonight if it is to effect our weather.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement