Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Snowing in North Tipp....only lightly, but its settling....first now we've seen here!
    Been watching the snow reports around the rest of the country with growing envy!

Is any more due to come our way?

And just as quickly...it stops :(

Can I have some more for my birthday tomorrow.....pleeease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at radar, sat pics, temps, etc., I am starting to really worry about prospects for any snow tonight! :confused: Hope to be wrong of course.

To add to this concern, Met E, since lunchtime, have downgraded threat on http://www.meteoalarm.eu/ from orange (warning of snow) at lunchtime now to green - i.e. no warning! No warning on Met E website either.

right now the majority of stations are at or near freezing and that's at the warmest time of the day . there's bound to be a small bit of a warming ahead of the front but with evaportive cooling and temps dropping after nightfall we should still be optimistic of seeing some of the white stuff, not sure about the intensity, the airflow behind looks suitably unstable so we should get a second bite at the cherry come this time tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Not wanting to sound too harsh , but you live on the side of a mountain.

You are always going to bare the brunt of the weather up there.

Maybe you should consider living at lower levels where there is easier access to supplies and people.

Again I am not having a go at you , but for your own safety and well being you should consider a move to lower elevations, as the beginning of this winter has seen you stranded and suffering.
    I do not live in isolation. I live in a housing estate near a town and we were housebound for two weeks because the road on the estate turned into an ice rink and nobody did anything about it. No ambulences were running. If there was a fire no fire truck could have come and oil trucks couldnt get to homes to refill tanks. I am from the northeastern US and when home it doesnt phase me if I hear a blizzard is coming because we are equipped to deal with it and will deal with it. Here, if I hear two inches of snow are coming and I panic and all those tapes we saw in school during the cold war start running and im out stocking up on medicine, uht milk, canned food and equipment in case of a fire. Because even in a suburb people here dont do anything about it. And people will die because of it. Oh, unless you live in Dublin of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I live in a relatively new house - albeit not very new, from the looks, I'd say 15-20 yrs old maybe? -, but it's just as catastrophic as the ones I lived earlier in. I certainly believe that new houses have much better regulations, but in the area where I live, older houses are much more common.
    And with the gap around the window/door - I heard this argument, but it's completely wrong. Dampness can only be fought with heat. The only way to dry a room is to heat it (yes, you need to air it sometimes too), If a room becomes cold, it's walls get cold, so the moisture in the air just gets precipitated on the walls. You need to have warm walls, basically :)

Figuramatyi ventilation is the answer in this country - and unfortunatley unlike the older folk, young people here don't cross ventilate their house by opening a couple of windows & doors everyday - hence the benefit of having a bit of a draught around a window.

If you are renting you should ask for a Building Energy Rating and move to somewhere with a better one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

are the snow showers coming south earlier than exected or is this what was forecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hey, some thoughts on the effect of this weather on people's lives.
    Honestly, Ireland is fully and completely unprepared for even a slightly colder than average winter. I could start with the quality of buildings in general (cardboard houses with no insulation of any kind, paper walls inside etc), continuing at improper and very ineffective heating methods (no central heating almost anywhere???), and finishing at having next to none road care tools and equipment.
    In my country, cold is normal (-5 -10 is general), but snow is totally random. Sometimes there are winters with no snow for 2-3 year in a row, sometimes we have 2 feet. But, there are also years with almost no winter (2006/2007 we had +10 +15 degress through the whole winter.

When I first came here I was pretty shocked to see how this country is wasting (in my eye) an INSANE amount of money and energy by heating the outside world basically (since when there is no insulation, this is what you do). Single glazed windows, half inch gaps between door and frame, etc. In my opinion, if the country would spend, let's say 500M EUR on insulating every home in the country, this money would come back in 5 years. Well, 3 years with winters like this one. Not to mention health issues - having a bathroom at 10 degrees in the morning causes lots of problems in your health. When a bathroom is not properly heated (it actually should be the warmest room in the house!!), it gets damp. Damp gets it moulded - again a serious health risk. Having no proper heating in a bathroom was the most shocking thing I experienced when moving here.

Ok, I understand that there are windy, mild winters (like the 2006/2007 one above), where you only need a little heating - but that's deceiving, since because of the wind, less insulated homes cooled down in almost seconds in the wind... even worse than real cold with no winds.

So... I know and fully understand that the current experience of winters (last 20-25 years, with maybe an exception of 1, max 2 winters) does not signal a need for changes in this kind of (lack of) preparation for a winter. But there are more and more upcoming voices saying that cold winters like this can be more and more common in the future. Anyone heard of Joe Bastardi? Not saying I share his ideas, but they are certainly worth a read, at least.

So, about Graces's long post - feeling stranded and helpless is undestandably bad. Still, if you had a home with proper insulation, suitable heating methods, and most importantly - usable infranstructure (!) around your house, you would have no issues. In my country we have snow ploughs cleaning even the most desolate roads, if people live there. Of course we have grit (albeit not very good for the environment, they are). We have gas heating everywhere but the tiniest villages and farms. But most importantly, we have houses made from bricks (98%), and with proper inside and outside insulations. And no, I'm not from Russia, but from Central Europe, where sometimes we have just as mild winters as Ireland :)
    We really only get into trouble when we have something like 1-2 feet of snow, with strong winds, so dunes of 2-3 meters in hight build up blocking roads, and problems only start around -25 degrees. Still at that, no pipes burst (they are insulated), no cars die (de-freezer in the cooling liquid is compulsory), people can get mostly everywhere (winter tyres, not compulsory yet but could be soon), and basically, life cannot stop, even if we have serious winter event only every 5-10 years (which is true).
    I'm not trying to say everything works perfectly there (oh, no, very very far from that :), but I seriously hope that Ireland learns a lesson from this cold snap, and some of these preparations that I mentioned above will/would be done. Some of these are not even very expensive, but can make a world of difference, and most importantly - as you said - can save lives!
    If you feel bad/frustrated about someone, be it for those who don't inform or help people to PREPARE for such kind of events, and not for those who seek a little enjoyment in a beautiful event like snowfall :)

Sorry for the wall of text :D

Having read your "wall of text" I would say that your presentation of the type of houses in Ireland is a total misrepresentation in my view. All newer houses are insulated well, at least well in the context of the average winter we get and all houses have central heating. I am not sure what kind of accommodation you have managed to find since you have been here but your view is quite definitely not representative in my view.

Also you state that problems in your country only start at -25 degrees. Would you agree that when you compare average winters, your -25 is in the region of the -10/-12 that we are experiencing in Ireland at the moment?

We cannot prepare every year for what is a once in a lifetime event. Met experts say that this is the most prolonged cold spell since 1963. That is outside my lifetime, I wasn't born then (not far off!!:o, but still) so if we had loads of grit and salt stocked up and not used, if we had 30 inches of insulation in each attic, we would every other year at least, be letting off steam in forums like this, about the Government and local authorities wasting money on road grit and putting us to unnecessary expense by insulating our homes to this extent.

We have to work with what we have on average, and provide for a little harsher by all means but we have to accept that sometimes we will find things a bit harsher, as we are at the moment and work through it ourselves and also help the more vulnerable through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Alicat wrote: »
    Yellow Walls Road is a death trap! Did you see the crash there near Texas Lane this evening?

Texas Lane? in Ireland?

jeez

John Kettley has just been on bbc news 24.
    He said it's not as cold as jan '87 where there were days in the UK where nowhere got above -5c.
    [Indeed I remember during that and have recanted here about a big snowfall in the Dublin area,the East coast and a covering down to Valentia and met eireann saying Dublin at -2c that day was the warmest capital in Northern Europe!]
    He said that this spell was going to go on in his opinion for the best part of the next 2 weeks with the airflow coming down primarally from scandinavia.
    This he said was going to bring a lot of snow from time to time eventually especially in the North and East of the UK.

snow ghost wrote: »

Ventilation is the answer in this country - and unfortunatley unlike the older folk, young people here don't cross ventilate their house by opening a couple of windows everyday - hence the benefit of having a bit of a draught around a window.

If you are renting you should ask for a Building Energy Rating and move to somewhere with a better one. :)

isnt this the law that you must have one if you are selling or renting ???

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Huge differences on GFS 12Z Operational, even at T+48..

Notice how the Greenland High is almost 150 miles centred further west, with the 1015mb line much further west also..

It also falls into line with the overnight UKMO Precip guidance for rather widespread snowfall potential across the country into tomorrow morning, spreading down across the country, with all areas at risk at least.

In addition, it models a shortwave/low feature, which could well feed in much heavier snow showers in Eastern & Southeastern areas & almost does on the 12Z GFS Output.

Also, GME to T+108 is holding very firm, with an excellent Easterly flow being established & a blocking High over Scandinavia:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gmee_cartes.php?&ech=108&mode=0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

JonnyM wrote: »
    are the snow showers coming south earlier than exected or is this what was forecast?

I don't think so, that slight snowfall has completely stopped now. By the looks of the radar there are just some small passing showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Avns1s wrote: »
    Having read your "wall of text" I would say that your presentation of the type of houses in Ireland is a total misrepresentation in my view. All newer houses are insulated well, at least well in the context of the average winter we get and all houses have central heating. I am not sure what kind of accommodation you have managed to find since you have been here but your view is quite definitely not representative in my view.

Also you state that problems in your country only start at -25 degrees. Would you agree that when you compare average winters, your -25 is in the region of the -10/-12 that we are experiencing in Ireland at the moment?

We cannot prepare every year for what is a once in a lifetime event. Met experts say that this is the most prolonged cold spell since 1963. That is outside my lifetime, I wasn't born then (not far off!!:o, but still) so if we had loads of grit and salt stocked up and not used, if we had 30 inches of insulation in each attic, we would every other year at least, be letting off steam in forums like this, about the Government and local authorities wasting money on road grit and putting us to unnecessary expense by insulating our homes to this extent.

We have to work with what we have on average, and provide for a little harsher by all means but we have to accept that sometimes we will find things a bit harsher, as we are at the moment and work through it ourselves and also help the more vulnerable through it.

Are you a FF press officer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Ventilation is the answer in this country - and unfortunatley unlike the older folk, young people here don't cross ventilate their house by opening a couple of windows everyday - hence the benefit of having a bit of a draught around a window.

Ventilation is needed, but not against the damp. If the air humidity outside is 96%, and it's (say) 8 degrees there, you will never be able to dry out your bathroom by just letting out the air. Why? Because it will cool down to, say, 10 degrees, will have 92% humidity, and moisture will still sit on the walls.
    Now, if you heat it up to 20 degrees, the air will be able to hold so much more moisture, that it will simply soak up all the dampness from your walls (so your relative humidity goes way down - I won't give a percentage here but the difference will be considerable). BUT to achieve this, you must HEAT, and you must not allow the bathroom to ventillate constantly.
    Trust me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

I'd be fairly confident that the majority of houses built in the last 5-6 years would be at the bottom of the scale of the new Building Energy Ratings.

just lookin at sky news weather and they are saying snow for east coast of ireland again on friday:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just in relation to the cold front.

GFS suggests potential accumulations of upto 10cm in parts by 9am.

Leinster and the Midlands seem to be most at risk from this front.

Barname wrote: »
    Are you a FF press officer?

Boy, are you wide of the mark!!:)

But I am a taxpayer and I dont want to be paying for stuff that is going to be wasted 42 years out of 43!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

just lookin at sky news weather and they are saying snow for east coast of ireland again on friday:pac:

That's invisible snow again, right?

(sorry) ;)

You should really check the insulation requirements, and the average insulation in any countries in Central EU. You'd be surprised :)
    As I said above (twice) it could be me, living in no newer than 10-15 (or more) years old houses). But I see exactly these (and older) types of houses in great abundance. I'll tell you one thing: in my country, the walls between rooms are also made of bricks. Since.... ever :). As I said, it's completely different.
    Yes, i know and agree that winter median and mean temps are lower in my country in average. However, extreme events do happen. If you prepare for those, you won't have (at least as many) people suffering, like Graces here.
    And as a little extra, you save a LOT of money on heating, during most of the year :D

Edit: There is no such thing as "unnecessary expense by insulating our homes to this extent". However uses this term (ever) is either a politician or just a demagogue :)

isnt this the law that you must have one if you are selling or renting ???

It is, and it also the law that landlords maintain a property to various standards, regarding heating, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 04 January 2010 - 15:49
    Weather Warning

Many parts of the country will have further falls of snow tonight and early on Tuesday. North and west Ulster, as well as north Connacht will have accumulations of 2 to 5 cm below 250m while other areas will have much less. However with frozen ground persisting generally, ice will remain a problem in most areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just in relation to the cold front.

GFS suggests potential accumulations of upto 10cm in parts by 9am.

Leinster and the Midlands seem to be most at risk from this front.

This is quite a nice chart, but I think it's a gross exaggeration of the snowfall throughout tonight. Hope I'm wrong though...

100849.gif

Ventilation is needed, but not against the damp. If the air humidity outside is 96%, and it's (say) 8 degrees there, you will never be able to dry out your bathroom by just letting out the air. Why? Because it will cool down to, say, 10 degrees, will have 92% humidity, and moisture will still sit on the walls.
    Now, if you heat it up to 20 degrees, the air will be able to hold so much more moisture, that it will simply soak up all the dampness from your walls (so your relative humidity goes way down - I won't give a percentage here but the difference will be considerable). BUT to achieve this, you must HEAT, and you must not allow the bathroom to ventillate constantly.
    Trust me :)

Trust me my friend, ventilation is the answer as any older person who grew up in Ireland with only a turf fueled range and persistant damp and rain will tell you. The houses here need an exchange of air daily.:)

BTW, any sign of snow yet in Galway???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

precip for 6am tuesday
    ukprec.png

You should really check the insulation requirements, and the average insulation in any countries in Central EU. You'd be surprised :)
    As I said above (twice) it could be me, living in no newer than 10-15 (or more) years old houses). But I see exactly these (and older) types of houses in great abundance. I'll tell you one thing: in my country, the walls between rooms are also made of bricks. Since.... ever :). As I said, it's completely different.
    Yes, i know and agree that winter median and mean temps are lower in my country in average. However, extreme events do happen. If you prepare for those, you won't have (at least as many) people suffering, like Graces here.
    And as a little extra, you save a LOT of money on heating, during most of the year :D

Edit: There is no such thing as "unnecessary expense by insulating our homes to this extent". However uses this term (ever) is either a politician or just a demagogue :)

Namecalling and stereotyping is the new way to discuss and debate?

Boy, are you wide of the mark!!:)

But I am a taxpayer and I dont want to be paying for stuff that is going to be wasted 42 years out of 43!

I will resist to comment on what's coming in my mind first, but I hope you DO realize you just said "I don't care about nobody else at all", in a way?

Besides, insulation can be solved with only helping those who are willing to do it themselves. This is also working in my country, but I can also see someone linked a similar scheme that exists here. It's really good, and should be promoted widely. Maybe, from now it will :D

Well do you know what...the sun is shining here beautifull [setting soon]but the temp is dropping off fast..
    Now 0.7c with a dp of -3.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Of course, and sure it solves the damp problem with all that hot air ;):p

I though you said someone was using that term, I did not get it was you, apologies..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Ive been out & im gonna break all the rules now......
    But whats the latest?? I just dont have the neregy to read back 59 or so pages.... V cold 2.1 with dp -2.2. Car however was flashing 0.0 & roads must be mank again because the slippy sign flashed all the way from Blackrock..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement