Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Rougies wrote: »
    Band of sleet and snow, followed by another one (with a little polar low looking graphic) to cross the country. A little better than showers I would think.

Hopefully! I don't know much about it tbh I was just looking at the pictures/graphics:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hi will it snow in Waterford tonight ??? JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!

Its clouded over and temp is currently 0 degrees on the nose. Fingers etc crossed !!:)

Based on the latest ECM output, maybe...

meteogram.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    Hopefully! I don't know much about it tbh I was just looking at the pictures/graphics:D

Ok, be careful with your pessimism in here in future! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Temp got down to -0.6c just before dark but with cloud rolling in has risen to 0.9c with a DP of -1.4c.

snowaddict or WC if you don't mind be asking do you think is everything going according to plan for snow tonight & tmrw morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Anyone notice Ireland is now orange on the metoalram Site?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

The precipitation chart for 9pm....

3hr-rain.gif

Wonder will it be sneachta falling out of that?? :D

:pac: If it does not snow out of that, im moving to canada. temps and Dps seem ok and will only fall in the next 4 hours

Iancar29 wrote: »

Yep, for Connaught and Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest ECM at 144hrs:

Almost enough to trigger off a meteorological orgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No orange for the whole of the Republic

• Advertisement

Yep, for Connaught and Donegal

I wager that if most places in Connacht see some snow from this, this will be the only part that will miss out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Been away from here this afternoon. What is the latest does anyone know on the band of snow that was supposed to coming down from the north, is it downgraded to nothing now, the radars are pretty quite, just a few solitarity blobs here and there ? Can I assume nothing much is happening this evening ?

No orange for the whole of the Republic

Try clicking on it ;)

Iancar29 wrote: »

Thats has to be a good sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

not even a hint of a snowflake in tramore during the cold snap. dagnabbit

Based on the latest ECM output, maybe...

meteogram.png

Hey Maq, that meteogram is based on the Norwegian Meteological output which incorporates some HIRLAM data. ECM data is usually from 48+ on yr.no. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

nothing here in gorey so far. i dont really understand the charts and stuff either so i cant say when it might come, if it does.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if i don't get 3- 4 inches of snow out of this between later tonight and tomorrow. then i'm going to demand heads rolls up in Glasnevin. it's funny we rag on met eireann yet we continually look to them for good news:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Midnight tonight.

Area B
    Generally light, occasionally moderate rain or sleet. Occasional snow and isolated thunderstorms to the north of the front.

Area E
    Generally dry or some light sleet showers. Occasional moderate showers of snow and small hail, with isolated heavy showers of snow and thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

if i don't get 3- 4 inches of snow out of this between later tonight and tomorrow. then i'm going to demand heads rolls up in Glasnevin. it's funny we rag on met eireann yet we continually look to them for good news:D

LOL how childish are we???/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hey Maq, that meteogram is based on the Norwegian Meteological output which incorporates some HIRLAM data. ECM data is usually from 48+ on yr.no. :)

Oh didnt know that, I thought that was ECM output. Thanks DE. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ezactly....! NEVER HEAR OF , TAKE WAT UR GIVEN?!? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Try clicking on it ;)

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    snowaddict or WC if you don't mind be asking do you think is everything going according to plan for snow tonight & tmrw morning?

It's very difficult to know Doyler1981, there is so much conflicting model guidance, official forecasting guidance etc etc at the moment.. The model guidance, from what I have just seen, is no different now than it was two days ago about later on Tuesday and into Wednesday in particular.

Overview

Remember I said earlier that the T+36 Fax Chart was showing the (LP) - Low Pressure centred in the southern Irish Sea at T+36, well ECWMF 12Z is rather similar, albeit slightly further to our Southeast. In these situations, bands of precipitation (snow showers in this case), will often develop on the northwestern flank of such lows, which is exactly what ECMWF models this evening.

If Met Eireann use the 12Z Output then I would expect them to highlight this risk on the 9.30PM Broadcast

Tuesday Night

100104_1200_36.png

Wednesday 06.00

100104_1200_42.png

Wednesday 12.00

100104_1200_48.png

The above risk also continues into Wednesday evening. Also, western members should watch out for Thursday, there is a risk of a shallow feature running down the West Coast, with the risk of snowfall because of this. The evolution may be a bit marginal but this is also something to watch.

From the above, it would appear that the Snowfall chances for the South & Southeast are relatively good, with many areas also at risk tomorrow as the Cold Front progresses southwards across the country.

There is also a suggestion of light snow showers off the Irish Sea towards Friday onwards, as the winds back due Easterly.

This extremely cold spell looks set to last another 5 Days at least.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Are they forecasting that much for tonight and tomorrow in Dublin :eek: I dont see it on met.ie :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Starting to snow here now :D

mad DIY wrote: »
    Are they forecasting that much for tonight and tomorrow in Dublin :eek: I dont see it on met.ie :confused:

No, but they have a greater snow risk forecast for the Northwest, which is where Nacho is :)

Snowaddict wrote: »
    western members should watch out for Thursday, there is a risk of a shallow feature running down the West Coast, with the risk of snowfall because of this. The evolution may be a bit marginal but this is also something to watch.

SA :)

Have been keeping a close eye on that little feature myself SA over the last couple of days. I am not too hopefull for snow from it to be honest, because while upper temps look favourable, I fear there maybe too much surface warmth incorporated into this shallow feature. Snow for coastal hills defo, but for lowlanders, the same aul story I fear.

However, still very early days yet, and maybe some deepening may occur in later runs.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Starting to snow here now :D

Must be very light, nothing but a tiny speck on radar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I can't remember who the dark haired babe who was in the RTE news feature, but she does the weather forecast and said the cold temps are due to continue until the early days of next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement