Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

You're so vain you probably think this reply is about you! :pac:

Oh gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Wind is coming from the NW here now, i can see from the way smoke is going from peoples chimneys, so a definate atlantic feed now for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest update from Met Eireaan doesn't sound amazing...a bit of a reality check :

04 January 2010 16:15

Today

Many areas dry at first but wintry showers affecting the north and northwest will move southwards overnight. Some snowfall will occur and this will add to ongoing ice problems. However, only northern and northwestern counties are likely to have snow accumulations of a few centimetres in places. Light to moderate, westerly winds will veer northwest to north overnight and lowest temperatures will range 0 to -5 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow

On Tuesday morning, snow showers will become confined to northern and northwestern coastal counties, with sunny spells developing elsewhere. However, occasional wintry showers may also develop along western and eastern coasts as the day goes on, some falling as snow. Moderate to fresh, northerly winds will set in and it will feel bitterly cold, with frost and ice persisting in many places. Highest temperatures 0 to 4 degrees Celsius.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

DOCARCH wrote: »

well it couldv'e been rain but every time that shows rain for me its snowing. (that is when its cold like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Just had a light snow shower here in north Kilkenny,only lasted about 2minutes.but it is very cloudy and dark here now.I smell more snow:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It would be great if some mild air came in and melted all this snow and ice and have it stop inconveniencing the entire country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

owenc wrote: »
    well it couldv'e been rain but every time that shows rain for me its snowing. (that is when its cold like this)

Ehhh.. that was a report not a forecast? Don't want to talk about it anymore! :rolleyes:

Just started snowing again here and it's sticking.

It would be great if some mild air came in and melted all this snow and ice and have it stop inconveniencing the entire country.

Booo

bassy wrote: »
    Just started snowing again here and it's sticking.

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Meanwhile..

Latest UKMO FAX Chart from Bracknell for Tomorrow, 12 Hours:

fax24s.gif

Clearly showing a frontal feature moving southwestwards down across the country.

Going to be an interesting few days I think, conflicting guidance from models, Forecasting agencies etc etc.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

owenc wrote: »

hopefully in an hour or 2 you'll be seeing the Cold Front approaching, let's hope you have good news from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Down with that sort of thing !

Where?

north Kilkenny,am 20 miles from kk city

I really don't understand this mentality of wanting more snow when it's been a pain in the ass for everyone for 3 weeks or so already.

It would be good if people could update their profiles to tell us where they are? When people give reports with no area of where they are from its very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Big dirty dark low clouds just moving over here... they have snow written all over them... pretty sure they were giving snow in the distance... the wind has totally disappeared with the low tide... interesting to see what they bring!!!

It's got cloudy here in Dublin 18, but its dark now so it's hard to tell if it's just normal cloud or snow cloud. I'm guessing just normal though.

It was 0 degrees as well about an hour ago when I was driving home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

Latest update from Met Eireaan doesn't sound amazing...a bit of a reality check :

04 January 2010 16:15

Today

Many areas dry at first but wintry showers affecting the north and northwest will move southwards overnight. Some snowfall will occur and this will add to ongoing ice problems. However, only northern and northwestern counties are likely to have snow accumulations of a few centimetres in places. Light to moderate, westerly winds will veer northwest to north overnight and lowest temperatures will range 0 to -5 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow

On Tuesday morning, snow showers will become confined to northern and northwestern coastal counties, with sunny spells developing elsewhere. However, occasional wintry showers may also develop along western and eastern coasts as the day goes on, some falling as snow. Moderate to fresh, northerly winds will set in and it will feel bitterly cold, with frost and ice persisting in many places. Highest temperatures 0 to 4 degrees Celsius.

:rolleyes:

I thought the winds were supposed to be NE or East tonight, has this changed??

typhooner wrote: »
    hopefully in an hour or 2 you'll be seeing the Cold Front approaching, let's hope you have good news from the North.

Yes Owenc your the man for the 1st reports of snow or whatever happens.......Make it good news please?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

typhooner wrote: »

as early as that! we need everything that has melted to freeze up again ugh! hopefully its snow two hours ago it was snowing here so hopefully it will be snow!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Down with that sort of thing !

Careful now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have no problem with snow, it is the impacted snow/ice that has been on all the back roads for the last 2 weeks that is pissing me off.

This snow that is due to hit Sligo is really going to put the tin hat on it. If it does snow, let it be a foot of it so I can stay at home!

I thought the winds were supposed to be NE or East tonight, has this changed??

Well we have NW winds here at present, Im hoping they will soon start to turn N/NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's about to begin... let's see what falls;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

I actually saw about 10-15 snowflakes in Galway, in Wellpark about 20 minutes ago. Shortest flurry in my life it was :)

it's about to begin... let's see what falls;)

Where?

snow ghost wrote: »
    Big dirty dark low clouds just moving over here... they have snow written all over them... pretty sure they were giving snow in the distance... the wind has totally disappeared with the low tide... interesting to see what they bring!!!

Its too warm here mate for snow, we are suffering from the Atlantic at the moment! Wind/air is coming from the NW in this part of Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I really don't understand this mentality of wanting more snow when it's been a pain in the ass for everyone for 3 weeks or so already.

No it hasn't. Some people on here haven't seen snow at all this winter. Granted it has disrupted some people but that shouldn't stop other people from wanting to see a bit of snow, We can't decide which way the weather goes, Some people like it when it goes one way and some people like it when it goes the other way. We happen to like it when it goes the other way i.e. snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Midday tomorrow. That is the remnants of our low system/polar low.

EDIT: Sorry SA just spotted you posted this too.
    PPVE89.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement