Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I really don't understand this mentality of wanting more snow when it's been a pain in the ass for everyone for 3 weeks or so already.

I haven't seen a single flake of snow since this cold spell began. And being someone who is interested in the weather, I'd personally like to see a bit of snow in my area in what is becoming an histroically long cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

if it snows here does that mean it'll warm up a bit - don't think we've been above freezing point for days now and I'd quite like to use my washing machine which is in the garage and the pipes are all frozen solid..... Starting to smell a bit now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I really don't understand this mentality of wanting more snow when it's been a pain in the ass for everyone for 3 weeks or so already.

I really don't understand this mentality of people coming into a weather forum and not realising that we like to discuss/predict/observe weather (of which snow is a rare and exciting part of) and that have absolutely nothing to contribute other than ridiculous sweeping generalisations.
    Get back on your treadmill and leave us alone, Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I haven't seen a single flake of snow since this cold spell began. And being someone who is interested in the weather, I'd personally like to see a bit of snow in my area in what is becoming an histroically long cold spell.

Where do you live as I want to move there?

Rougies wrote: »
    I really don't understand this mentality of people coming into a weather forum and not realising that we like to discuss/predict/observe weather (of which snow is a rare and exciting part of) and that absolutely nothing to contribute other than ridiculous sweeping generalisations.
    Get back on your treadmill and leave us alone, Thanks.

I was simply making a comment and I don't see much in the way of ridiculous sweeping generalisations.

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Midday tomorrow. That is the remnants of our low system/polar low.

Did you see the latest Met Eireann forecast for tomorrow? They seem to be ignoring this, they just talk about snow showers confined to n/nw coast and later just a few wintry showers on the west/east coasts. I guess HIRLAM isn't picking this polar low up and they are going with HIRLAM and ignoring the UKMO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

snaps wrote: »
    Its too warm here mate for snow, we are suffering from the Atlantic at the moment! Wind/air is coming from the NW in this part of Eire.

You could be right snaps... it has started a drizzling light sleetly rain at the moment, wind is non existant and I notice those dirty clouds have dumped a load of snow on a mountain to the North of me in the last 30 mins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This is a weather discussion forum, every one is entitled to their own opinions and views , although saying that if you are not happy with what your seeing , you know what to do .........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Not wanting to sound too harsh , but you live on the side of a mountain.

You are always going to bare the brunt of the weather up there.

Maybe you should consider living at lower levels where there is easier access to supplies and people.

Again I am not having a go at you , but for your own safety and well being you should consider a move to lower elevations, as the beginning of this winter has seen you stranded and suffering.

Yep but if you farm the land there you need to live there. Would be against folks moving there for the scenery and then expecting lots of help when its bad but it might be an idea for the army to get some of the elderly out of there till supply routes are open. This is a very long duration freeze and despite agreeing with the sentiment of your reply remember that we live in a humane country were being clever is not the same as being wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

(Updated)
    Whoops: I was about to post that Snowaddict! Damn you:p

The compromise (between the latest NAE and Fax and previous output) outcome on the PL would be for something very like that FAX chart, but perhaps it would take a more SW track avoiding much of Scotland but would still manage to affect the western half of Ireland at first. Where it would go from my landfall guess of NW Donegal is beyond me though. So is its intensity. What I'm most hopeful about is the isobar gradients which are good I think, or certainly better than I feared. Cold air rapidly moving over warmer waters en route here, would certainly help its longevity.

You can see it here advancing towards the Faeroe Islands. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Effectively I would expect it to hit Ireland on a somewhat more North to South (instead of NE-SW) approach once it moves past Scotland. This is based on what I've seen on the satellite and the track the front is actually taking on the RADAR versus what was predicted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Light rain in Galway. That's just going to freeze and make the roads worse. Argh! Prefer snow or nothing any day...

Where do you live as I want to move there?

Waterford, the no snow zone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

So whats the outlook for Navan/Midlands area for tonight and tomorrow morning? Is the prediticted snow threat now a pipe dream?

Beginning to pack...

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

The compromise outcome on the PL would be for something very like that FAX chart, but perhaps it would take a more SW track avoiding much of Scotland but would still manage to affect the western half of Ireland at first. Where it would go from my landfall guess of NW Donegal is beyond me though. So is its intensity. What I'm most hopeful about is the isobar gradients which are good I think, or certainly better than I feared. Cold air rapidly moving over warmer waters en route here, would certainly help its longevity.

You can see it here advancing towards the Faeroe Islands. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Will it reach the far south and be potent enough to deliver at low-levels if conditions are right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The compromise outcome on the PL would be for something very like that FAX chart, but perhaps it would take a more SW track avoiding much of Scotland but would still manage to affect the western half of Ireland at first. Where it would go from my landfall guess of NW Donegal is beyond me though. So is its intensity. What I'm most hopeful about is the isobar gradients which are good I think, or certainly better than I feared. Cold air rapidly moving over warmer waters en route here, would certainly help its longevity.

TBC and anyone else....what do you make of that long cloud tail behind the system (part of the system). Is it possible for that to wrap around the front end and develop the system into a polar Low? If not, if it continues its path to Ireland is it not likely to result on an extended period of precip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Zzippy wrote: »
    Light rain in Galway. That's just going to freeze and make the roads worse. Argh! Prefer snow or nothing any day...

I did see snowflakes... what part are you in? Down close to water?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Melanoma wrote: »
    Yep but if you farm the land there you need to live there. Would be against folks moving there for the scenery and then expecting lots of help when its bad but it might be an idea for the army to get some of the elderly out of there till supply routes are open. This is a very long duration freeze and despite agreeing with the sentiment of your reply remember that we live in a humane country were being clever is not the same as being wise.

I am nearly a 100% the person in question is not farming the land, a published writer if I am correct.

I know that we live in humane country , I just just felt the persons needs would be best served at lower elevations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I did see snowflakes... what part are you in? Down close to water?

In the city. Was very brief, hopefully not enough to cause problems with ice. Wouldn't mind a good belt of snow though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

umm
    nat00_weather.png?1722

• Advertisement

Are there any good (reliable) sites out there for long term forecasts? It would be nice to know when this cold spell is going to end. It seems to be expected to last until the weekend at least.

Villain wrote: »
    umm
    nat00_weather.png?1722

:rolleyes: More rain for me so...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Defcol wrote: »
    So whats the outlook for Navan/Midlands area for tonight and tomorrow morning? Is the prediticted snow threat now a pipe dream?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

To be fair I lived in Waterford for a bit and had one memorable couple of days with loads of snow (1990 I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Just been out lamp post watching, and it is starting to flurry!:)

To be fair I lived in Waterford for a bit and had one memorable couple of days with loads of snow (1990 I think)

Ah yeah, the odd once or twice in a lifetime event. :pac: I'm still hoping we might see one over the next couple of days, but I have my doubts...

Are there any good (reliable) sites out there for long term forecasts? It would be nice to know when this cold spell is going to end. It seems to be expected to last until the weekend at least.

No such thing as "reliable" and "long term" in weather forecasting .

I reckon about March it should start to warm up :p

Purely speculative though.

Defcol wrote: »
    Anyone?

Hard to know to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The latest UKMO T+36 Fax Chart is Excellent IMO, especially for those in the East & Southeast..

With a very cold and unstable Northeasterly airflow, combined with that area of low pressure cented in the Southern Irish Sea - there could potentially be quite a few snow showers generated on it's northern periphery affecting the East and Southeast.

fax36s.gif

A very interesting development from what I can see.

SA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No such thing as "reliable" and "long term" in weather forecasting .

I reckon about March it should start to warm up :p

Purely speculative though.

Hahhahahahahaah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement