Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Su Campu wrote: »
    THe NAE 12Z has a potent little low pressure for just north of Ireland in the morning....I wonder is that my polar low??? :D The GFS doesn't pick it up.

Also, as a guide for what's required for snow, the 850hPa wet bulb potential temperature is a good indicator (below). At sea level, the 0°C line means a 95% probability that precipitation will be snow.

Is that 0c, Air Temp or DP at sea level ?

It's the 850hPa wet bulb potential temperature. It's what would happen if you took the wet bulb temperature at 850hPa and brought it wet adiabatically to 1000hPa. The lower the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Su Campu wrote: »
    THe NAE 12Z has a potent little low pressure for just north of Ireland in the morning....
    heading SW at moment http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=eu&sat=ir&type=loop

100853.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Meteoalarm alerts are back on.
    Connacht in orange with a mention of 3cm to 5cm accumulations below 250m.

The rest of the country is at yellow with the following note:
    "Occasional snow showers will give accumulations of 2cm. or less below 250m."

I personally think it might be more than that, this band of precip coming tomorrow morning looks like a jackpot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campo.

The NAE 12z has the PL type thing further west again on this run, not good news for here, but subject to last minute changes obviously. Also shows it with slightly less depth.

Throws the precip down the midlands towards 9am.

NAE does though enhance the precip in the band tonight and also shows a nice streamer sliding down the east coast overnight Tuesday night.

snaps wrote: »
    Im in Ballinrobe between Claremorris and Tuam. Its 2c here with frost still on the ground here! Driving through conemarra home from work, there was snow falling on high ground, but at sea level its falling as rain!
    Yeah I know the area fairly well.I've actually got quite drunk in Ballinrobe a few times ;)
    The atlantic is bringing in the higher dewpoints.

Down with me the NW wind is blowing very lightly straight off the wicklow mtns which is why my dp hasn't suffered.
    m2 in the irish sea is 1.6c dp so the northeasterly better be a true one when it comes down after the front or we will have rain and sleet showers here too.
    Just hitting 0c now here.
    Wet bulb has dropped to -1.1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

So snow chance for the SW again so :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Timistry wrote: »
    So snow chance for the SW again so :confused:

:D Nice play on words, there.

Throws the precip down the midlands towards 9am.
    That explains the BBC NI graphics at lunchtime then.
    The had heavy snow in the centre of NI but none in the East or west...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah I know the area fairly well.I've actually got quite drunk in Ballinrobe a few times ;)

Down with me the NW wind is blowing very lightly straight off the wicklow mtns which is why my dp hasn't suffered.
    m2 in the irish sea is 1.6c dp so the northeasterly better be a true one when it comes down after the front or we will have rain and sleet showers here too.

Just at 0.0c here too with DP -2.2c and NW breeze blowing - there is obviously some modification of the air across the country (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its the only thing to do here in Ballinrobe is get drunk, not much else to do! Perhaps we are entering the warm front before the cold front comes through? I notice the BBC charts have a warm front there before this colder front arrives?

I would hazzard a guess this is what is happening as Temps in Ulster seem to be creeping up as well?

• Advertisement

Met Eireann Weather Forecast for Monday 4th January 2010

Updated: 04/01/2010 13:06:01

TODAY: Still very cold this afternoon with highest air temperatures only -1 to 4 degrees and frost persisting in many areas. Some wintry showers today and patches of freezing fog but many areas continuing dry and sunny.

TONIGHT: A band of wintry showers will move southwards over Ireland tonight producing fresh snow in places and icy conditions countrywide. Lowest temperatures zero to -5 degrees. TOMORROW: Sunny spells tomorrow Tuesday but freezing conditions continuing through the day with a scattering of snow showers also.

OUTLOOK: The cold, but mainly dry weather, will continue through the rest of the week and over next weekend, across the whole country. There will be further severe frosts at night, and ice on untreated surfaces, some fog patches possible at times too. Daytime temperatures will be in low single figures at best, despite some winter sunshine, with frost and ice slow to clear. Tuesday night will be very cold with temperatures well below freezing in many places, and possibly as low as -7 or -8 C., in a few sheltered areas. Frost will be severe with icy surfaces. A few wintry showers are also possible at times, on eastern and northern coasts, but most parts of the country should be dry.

Wednesday will be very cold and breezy with a fresh and gusty northeast to northerly breeze. Frost and ice will linger in places, despite some sunny spells. Most places dry, but some wintry showers are possible in places close to the east and north coasts once again. Very cold, frosty and icy overnight and for a time on Thursday. Most places dry and bright on Thursday with some weak winter sunshine, but there is a risk that a spell of rain sleet and some snow may affect the Atlantic Seaboard. Most of the showers look set to disappear for Friday and next weekend, with just a few possible on eastern and northern coasts, but the days and nights will stay as cold and frosty as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

:D Nice play on words, there.

:rolleyes: I need something to keep me amused due to the lack of snow. Have not seen snow here in S. Kerry (lower levels) since 26th Dec 2000 lol. Might see something in the next 24 hours but looking at the charts it seems unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's the big fuppin problem - the trough will be bringing a north westerly in front of it and lots of atlantic air.

It's even falling as rain in Avimore in the heart of the Scotish highlands (at 0c).

The Highlands are currently getting a pasting with snow, have a look at the Traffic Cams

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/

I am hoping that front does not lose its percip when it hits the Glasgow area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Just below 0 here in Colpe Cross near Drogheda.

Timistry wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I need something to keep me amused due to the lack of snow. Have not seen snow here in S. Kerry (lower levels) since 26th Dec 2000 lol. Might see something in the next 24 hours but looking at the charts it seems unlikely

LOL

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The Highlands are currently getting a pasting with snow, have a look at the Traffic Cams

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/

I am hoping that front does not lose its percip when it hits the Glasgow area

Aviemore reporting light rain at 1500 at 0c - I'm sure, given the extensive snow fields, the rain will only be brief.

I'm just being a bit pesemistic picking up on that one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Aviemore reporting light rain at 1500 at 0c - I'm sure, given the extensive snow fields, the rain will only be brief.

i doubt it was ever raining in aviemore perhaps inverness had rain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Possible warm front heading south before the cold front arrives?

100855.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Mild atlantic air coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Just Started snowing in Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

As the front moved into Northern Scotland the temps rose slightly and the coastal areas reported rain -> sleet -> snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

100855.JPG

Well i dont know about you but the temps are sure dropping here with -0.3c already... but i'd say i will wake up for rain and no snow (melted away) to be depressed even more about going by to work etc!

Would this warm front of air come down before the precipitatio and have brief rain then turn to snow instead of rain or sleet the whole way through!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

DrZeuss wrote: »

how come nothing showing on the radar. Alot cload moving into Cork at the moment from the North. Is there likely to be any precipitation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

DrZeuss wrote: »

So it had begod! :D Light shower of snow.

Temp 0.9c and DP of -1.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

GavinH wrote: »
    how come nothing showing on the radar. Alot cload moving into Cork at the moment from the North. Is there likely to be any precipitation?

Very strange, gone very dark here, real snowy feel but it prob wont be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

So it had begod! :D Light shower of snow.

Temp 0.9c and DP of -1.2c

Lob the vein out the window there boy !! It was spot on the other night !!! lol ;)

/stops flogging the dead horse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GavinH wrote: »

Radar is a bit dodgy today, Shannon radar I think has been on and off. You can see the shower here at 16:15, http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Better go home now to avoid the traffic . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Lob the vein out the window there boy !! It was spot on the other night !!! lol ;)

/stops flogging the dead horse

You're so vain you probably think this reply is about you! :pac:

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    i doubt it was ever raining in aviemore perhaps inverness had rain ?

Yes it was!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/aviemore_latest_weather.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement