Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What is yer man's story/background? Seems far too familiar with firearms to be shooting them for the first time. Even how he cycles the bolt in the last minute of the video, to his grip when firing. If it is his first time then he has some natural ability.

At least it's not like these numpties. Using all the typical stereotypes, catchphrases and generally going into it with preconceived ideas and coming out the other side saying they're dangerous, unsafe and "they cannot believe people can own a gun that size, in their house".

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This is a good one, too

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

What i liked was the target system. No spotting scopes, tv, and video cameras or any of that, you shoot and your score pops up on the display. Also can you imagine the poo-storm if you tried to open a range like that in Ireland, facing the back of someones house ? The phoneline to Joe Fluffy would go into meltdown.

Almost every village in Switzerland has its own 300m rifle range and 25m pistol range - the rationale behind it is simple, Switzerland really DOES have a citizen armed forces made up of the ordinary Joe. Sunday consists going to church, a light lunch and then the afternoon on the range.

Not a lot of things better than that, eh?

Well, yes, the Eidgenossisches Feldschiessen is a LOT better - 127’840 Teilnehmer am 2017 Eidgenössischen Feldschiessen - and boys and girls from age 14 compete against each other - http://stephenhalbrook.com/articles/swiss_teen_rifle_festival.html

tac

Bringing on the young shooter?

Certainly, Sir.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

At the risk of being a nay sayer the issue we have here is the age limit. While it's legal for a youngster (under 16 and no license) to shoot on a range most ranges impose an age limit. The average being 12 to 14 years old before they can shoot.

That means in the same 6 to 8 year period from when most other youngsters start our lot are only beginning. At say 14 they going against kids from other countries that not only have them beat for experience but most likely have medals and accolades under their belts.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cass wrote: »
    What is yer man's story/background?
    Lindybeige? Essentially, amateur historian with a particular interest in ancient soldiering and ancient logistics. Has a lot of entertaining youtube bits taking the swords-and-sandals genre of films to pieces pointing out their really god-awful errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

gunny123 wrote: »
    What i liked was the target system. No spotting scopes, tv, and video cameras or any of that, you shoot and your score pops up on the display.
    We have that already in a lot of Irish ranges though. It's easier and cheaper with 10m airgun but the systems are available for everything involving a bullseye target up to centerfire rifle stuff at pretty long ranges. It just gets more expensive as you go up because it gets harder to make them so they'll last (you're essentially making a sensitive electronics system that will sit out in the rain and the mud while people shoot at it; it's not trivial to do that right :D )
    Also can you imagine the poo-storm if you tried to open a range like that in Ireland, facing the back of someones house ? The phoneline to Joe Fluffy would go into meltdown.
    If it was a centerfire rifle range pointed at the back of someone's house (as in, where their house would be the backstop) I think I'd call Joe Fluffy myself, that'd be insane.
    But we've already had/still have ranges for smaller calibres that were/are like that. They're just indoors so that nobody gets too nervous. Firearms and the Irish public aren't overly familiar with each other in any good ways given our modern history...

Cass wrote: »
    At the risk of being a nay sayer the issue we have here is the age limit. While it's legal for a youngster (under 16 and no license) to shoot on a range most ranges impose an age limit. The average being 12 to 14 years old before they can shoot.

That means in the same 6 to 8 year period from when most other youngsters start our lot are only beginning. At say 14 they going against kids from other countries that not only have them beat for experience but most likely have medals and accolades under their belts.

Switzerland is not just a different country - as far as firearms are concerned, it's a different world.

I'll refrain from vicariously blowing its trumpet in future.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com

Sparks wrote: »
    Lindybeige? Essentially, amateur historian with a particular interest in ancient soldiering and ancient logistics. Has a lot of entertaining youtube bits taking the swords-and-sandals genre of films to pieces pointing out their really god-awful errors.

Sometimes he's funny and sometimes he's a PITA. He's a bit like Marmite, I guess.

tac

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

Like centurions wearing wrist watches in ben-hoor :D ?

gunny123 wrote: »
    Like centurions wearing wrist watches in ben-hoor :D ?

Also in El Cid.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to mind the jet contrail over the circus maximus in the chariot race start up parade.Fierce advanced lot in ancient Rome.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not to mind the jet contrail over the circus maximus in the chariot race start up parade.Fierce advanced lot in ancient Rome.:D

And 20 metre tramlines in the wheat fields in Gladiator ;D

Just might happen that the Romans were more advanced than we ever gave them credit for. After all, there were no power lines in either Ben Hur or El Cid, which leads me to believe that they had broadcast power, like they do in 'Star Trek'. No gas stations, either, so they must have gotten their coffee elsewhere, right?

tac

Nah,they stole the broadcast power from the Atlantians along with all their other technology.:P:P[ Took Mr Tesla to rediscover that idea in the 20th century.] So if they were that smart,isnt it then possible they invented wrist watches too so the film is actually historicaly accurate??
    As Abe Linclon ,the famous vampire hunter and US president said "never belive everything you read on the internet."

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Someday..............when i win the lottery :(

Gunny123 - I actually handled one of these beautiful guns at a gun show in Seattle a couple of years ago.

It points like a shotgun and, I'm told, with a suitable calibre it stops stuff like the footprint of G*d.

It was also for sale, and at $35,000 it had gone by the end of the show. The artisan who makes these astonishing rifles is well into his eighties, and with the best will in the world there won't be that many more of them coming.

I'd spend my money like a shot - so to speak.

tac

Reminds me alittle bit of the Bronco 22/410 combo.A pull&twist design but alot lighter and cruder

Well if you wanted somthing a little bit cheaper,not by much mind with a unique design.Check out the Cosmi shotguns. I have handled one of these guns,but never fired it.Lovely bit of workmanship too,every bit is hand made,but it's just weird in my mind.Still if Breshnev and Giscard Estang used them....

http://www.cosmiguns.com/copia-di-home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Saw another thread that had reference to the word 'sniper'.

Is the origin of the word associated with the snipe bird?

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Saw another thread that had reference to the word 'sniper'.

Is the origin of the word associated with the snipe bird?

Yes, the word is derived directly from the skill required - with a flintlock fowler - to take these agile little birds.

Until the advent of WW1, the term used for a skilled shooter was 'sharpshooter' or simply 'marksman'. In fact, the word 'sharpshooter' has entered many Germanic languages as a direct translation - '

German - 'Scharfschuetzer'

Swedish, Danish and Norwegian - 'Skarfskytter'.

The Russians, more experienced than most in the art and trade of sniper, actually DO use the word 'sniper' as a direct translation - снайпер - pronounced 'sniper'.

I'm not going to enlarge on the present day usage of the word, rather the mis-usage, where every urban killer with a rifle is called sniper. I used to run a course that was attended by military snipers from most NATO countries, and the last thing they are is a trigger-happy killer.

tac

I always thought the term "Sharp shooter" also derived from the not so Wild West ,with the professional buffalo hunters.As they mostly used the Sharps rifle for decimating herds.It simply became Western slang to refer to a bufflo hunter as a "sharp shooter"

This title pre-dates the slaughter of the buffalo by a substantial margin. In fact, the term "sharp shooter", was in use in British newspapers as early as 1801. In the Edinburgh Advertiser, 23 June 1801, can be found the following quote in a piece about the North British Militia; "This Regiment has several Field Pieces, and two companies of Sharp Shooters, which are very necessary in the modern "Stile of War". The term appears even earlier, around 1781, in Continental Europe, translated from the German Scharfschütze.

tac

What a day today, folks!!! Guest day at our club and an unprecedented number of taker-uppers of member's friends, co-workers and relations. Almost a hundred showed up today, including about 45 guests of all ages, from 9 to 80 y/o.

I drug along my .58cal Musketoon carbine, a muzzle-loader from 1861, a .45.70 Govt Winchester High Wall from 1885, and my Ruger Old Army .44cal BP revolver.

All the .45-70 Govt loads were BP, too, so the smoke was thick and smelly, AND dirty, I'm happy to relate. Nobody who shot any of them went away without a great cheesy grin, even the 9 y/o shooting the Musketoon, although I DID reduce the load for him by about half.

Stats for my collection -

22 shots of 535gr Minié ball over 65gr of FFg.

1 shot of ditto over ca.30gr of FFg.

32 rounds of .45-70 Govt with 405g lead bullets

8 x cylinder loads [48] shots of 145gr ball over 30gr of 3Fg in the revolver, mostly by folks who had never handled ANY kind of handgun before, let alone a fire-breathing whomper like the ROA.

...and afterwards, the compulsory bar-b-q, of course.

A great day, for sure.

tac

Tac, its amazing how talking someone very sceptical or hostile towards firearms, into having a shot or two, often converts them onto our side. Its a pity it cannot be done en masse, the majority of our problems would disappear into the ether.

You are absolutely right, Sir. Sadly, all the people that I've had a part in introducing to shooting over the years have actually asked to have try. I've never actually encountered a truly anti-gun person that I managed to get to come along to a shoot session. Like many shooters, I seem to have acquired only friends who are also shooters, like me.

It's like the old story about the Garda going to a school to talk to the kids about the dangers of talking to strangers. One little lad in the front row put his hand up, and remarked 'I don't know any strangers...'

Same here, all our friends either shoot or don't. If they don't it's not because they are against shooting per se, just that it does not hold any interest for them.

Odd to think that there ARE people with that kind of mindset, but it takes all kinds, right?

tac

Sounds like a brilliant day, Tac.
    I brought the wife clay pigeon shooting today for the first time in her life. She started with the 391 Beretta, but one guy had his 10 year old kids lovely little Franchi 20 bore o/u and offered it to her to try. She got on great with it , still talking about it tonight ........

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Sounds like a brilliant day, Tac.
    I brought the wife clay pigeon shooting today for the first time in her life. She started with the 391 Beretta, but one guy had his 10 year old kids lovely little Franchi 20 bore o/u and offered it to her to try. She got on great with it , still talking about it tonight ........

Unless Mrs Neckarsulm had a job, your generosity is going to cost you dearly.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Unless Mrs Neckarsulm had a job, your generosity is going to cost you dearly.

tac

Luckily she has a much better job than I have :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement