Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Most people are responsible in spite of what some think and when told they are a contact will behave responsibly. The odds are those who wouldn't would not have their behaviour changed by a phone call

That just isn't true. While your statement is admirable that most people are responsible, the fact is ALL people are human and many did not want to be embarrassed calling up people they knew to tell them that they are a close contact which also lands a bomb in their lap. I remember hearing about some teenagers and young adults not giving up the full close contact details because their friends asked them not to as they would then have to be quarantined from friends/boyfriends/girlfriends. At the end of the day, humans are gonna human.

The cases detected in that time period were seeded 7 to 9 days earlier - just after the implementation of level 3

Yes but the contact tracing also took time to collapse (and also recover). It wasn't just a wham bam 3 day-affected situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lillyfae wrote: »
    This old chestnut. Disagreeing with an individual or individuals does not equate to teacher bashing/ resentment/ bad memories of school. It's like the Godwin's Law of this thread.
    HerrKuehn wrote: »
    I am completely honest in my opinion of teachers/the teaching profession. I think there are a lot of jokers in it. It wouldn't be a profession I have huge amount of respect for (in Ireland). It is where some people who are a bit work shy go and are able to get some use out of their geography degree.

I'll just leave this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Yes but the contact tracing also took time to collapse (and also recover). It wasn't just a wham bam 3 day-affected situation.

Of course it did, we knew this for weeks before because the public health officials sounded the alarm.

Martin stood up in the Dáil and stated on the record that the system became overwhelmed.

This only happened in October, as attempted history rewrites go, it's way too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Boggles wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here.

how is that bashing, resentment or bad memories of school? It is just my opinion of the profession based on their carry on.

• Advertisement

I am completely honest in my opinion of teachers/the teaching profession. I think there are a lot of jokers in it. It wouldn't be a profession I have huge amount of respect for (in Ireland). It is where some people who are a bit work shy go and are able to get some use out of their geography degree.

That's a really horrible post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

how is that bashing, resentment or bad memories of school? It is just my opinion of the profession based on their carry on.

The fact that you don't see the issue speaks volumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

That's a really horrible post.

Insecurity. I've seen it a thousand times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I'm not going to get dragged into this again, especially after the mod warning yesterday. Suffice it to say, I don't judge all teachers by the opinions of/ disagreements I have with the teachers on this thread.

Not the question i asked though?

But anyway since that post i think we seen enough to establish the situation! Its almost like the resentment coming out through the pores with some!

One wonders if resentment clouds judgement when you look at some posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

3. True, but much of the time it's drizzle. Children and teachers aren't made of sugar, and can wear raincoats.
    t.

Yup, no resentment, just suggestions to study and work in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Yup, no resentment, just suggestions to study and work in the rain.

One wonders how builders or other outdoor workers cope. Oh wait they do manual work so they don't count.

If saying kids should spend time outside is resentment then fair enough. Not to mention that some schools decided that's exactly the way to go.

meeeeh wrote: »
    One wonders how builders or other outdoor workers cope. Oh wait they do manual work so they don't count..

Wow, what a reach, you couldn't just say "yeah that was a disgraceful suggestion, that was awful" you double down on the idiocy and try to make a classist argument. Not one of your best posts meeeeh, you would do best to delete this one.

But I'm sure when you make the suggestion to Dail Eireann that they don't need to use the convention centre for 50k a day, that they can all stand in Stephens green, that they will thank you for your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

I have strange feeling like somebody is feeding a troll in this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Wow, what a reach, you couldn't just say "yeah that was a disgraceful suggestion, that was awful" you double down on the idiocy and try to make a classist argument. Not one of your best posts meeeeh, you would do best to delete this one.

But I'm sure when you make the suggestion to Dail Eireann that they don't need to use the convention centre for 50k a day, that they can all stand in Stephens green, that they will thank you for your suggestion.

I’m still wondering how suggesting teachers and students go for a short walk, even if it’s drizzling, if there’s a huge worry about the air in the classroom is so disgraceful.

Nah, you didn't suggest a short walk, and well you know it. Check your privilege and resentment that you get to stay indoors..

Just so we all are clear, the discussion went as follows:

When asked on procedures to make schooling safe, your response was:

"Cut down on interactions- close staff room, meetings done remotely
    use *quiet voices- microphones, go outside- self explanatory, it's not raining all the time, given correct ppe gear- wasn't there funding allocated? is it already gone? clean surfaces properly- why would this be difficult?"

The response to this from a poster was:
    "Depending on where you are in the country, it's raining half the time. It's not a workable solution for many hundreds of students per school."

Your response was:
    "True, but much of the time it's drizzle. Children and teachers aren't made of sugar, and can wear raincoats."

Your "oh i meant a walk" was not until i called your comment disgraceful. It was then explained that having 1000 kids all going for random walks in the rain wasn't practical, but you ignored that completely. If they want to walk in the rain, why come to school at all sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Funny how we haven't seen any segments on news2day, 6 one news or the 9 o'clock news telling us all how the children are loving having their lessons outside each morning in the frost and during the day in the wind and rain. No witty anecdotes about having to run after their work when it goes flying or how a third hand would be so useful when it comes to trying to keep their copy from flying away in the wind while simultaneously trying to keep the rain off it it, while also trying to write. A third hand would be so very useful.

Nah, you didn't suggest a short walk, and well you know it. Check your privilege and resentment that you get to stay indoors..

Quote what I suggested then?

Privilege?? We could all have chosen to do what I’m doing if we wanted my terms of employment.

Privilege?? We could all have chosen to do what I’m doing if we wanted my terms of employment.

See above the exact conversation. This is the second time you've asked me to do so pretending to not recall.

No mention of walk, no mention of air. Please.

Children have to learn, that is their work now, and they need proper cover and space to do it. It's not comparable with construction workers outdoors or whatever your job is.

Surely this doesn't have to be pointed out to you.

See above the exact conversation. This is the second time you've asked me to do so pretending to not recall.

No mention of walk, no mention of air. Please.

I recall it perfectly. I just don’t understand how “go outside” translates to “walk 5k in gale force wind during a downpour” for you. Genuinely. I don’t see what’s making you so outraged.

• Advertisement

Children have to learn, that is their work now, and they need proper cover and space to do it. It's not comparable with construction workers outdoors or whatever your job is.

Surely this doesn't have to be pointed out to you.

I never said anything about children having lessons all day outside in all weathers. This is just getting silly.

I never said anything about children having lessons all day outside in all weathers. This is just getting silly.

Nah its not silly, it just highlights your silly suggestions, your total ignorance as to how schools operate, and your absolute lack of any type of concern for the welfare of children that you wanted them educated in the rain outdoors, weather be damned rather than look for an actual practical solution.

So when you bleat innocence about how you don't resent schools and those who work in them, soften your cough, your resentment is palpable.

So the chat was about making *schools* safer and in your contribution was to suggest going on walks? Why? How is that going to help make learning in schools safer?

So the chat was about making *schools* safer and your contribution was to suggest going on walks? Why? How is that going to help make learning in schools safer?

It was in response to another posters questions. I thought schools were relatively safe then (them being open and running in the context of the rest of the pandemic strategy keeping societal numbers lower), and the figures now confirm that.

It was in response to another posters questions. I thought schools were relatively safe then (them being open and running in the context of the rest of the pandemic strategy keeping societal numbers lower), and the figures now confirm that.

That answer makes no sense in the context of the conversation that was posted above.

And you said a bit further back, you didn't see what's wrong in suggesting they go for a short walk "if there’s a huge worry about the air in the classroom."

There is a huge concern about lack of ventilation in any space, as per scientists the world over. It's been reported on here and recently, too. There's no "if" about it. So how is taking a walk going to improve the air *in* the classroom?

That answer makes no sense in the context of the conversation that was posted above.

And you said a bit further back, you didn't see what's wrong in suggesting they go for a short walk "if there’s a huge worry about the air in the classroom."

There is a huge concern about lack of ventilation in any space, as per scientists the world over. It's been reported on here and recently, too. There's no "if" about it. So how is taking a walk going to improve the air *in* the classroom?

This is really a tactic here. Try and exasperate someone you disagree with in order to get them either banned or to leave the conversation.

It’s hard to grasp the context of anything here unless you’ve been reading since the first thread. It’s also hard to respond with the same answers to slightly different questions to be told I’m changing my mind because someone else jumped to the worst possible interpretation of what I posted, because they dislike me based on a difference of opinion.

1. Open windows and doors if not already open
    2. Leave classroom and go for a walk for 5 minutes or 30 minutes
    3. Fresher air in room

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I see Merkel has come out publicly to say that schools in Germany should be shutting from the 16th inorder to create a gap so that visits to grandparents can happen with some modicum of safety for them.

When it was floated here in this country about binning the 21st and 22nd, the abuse was horrendous.

This is really a tactic here. Try and exasperate someone you disagree with in order to get them either banned or to leave the conversation.

It’s hard to grasp the context of anything here unless you’ve been reading since the first thread. It’s also hard to respond with the same answers to slightly different questions to be told I’m changing my mind because someone else jumped to the worst possible interpretation of what I posted, because they dislike me based on a difference of opinion.

1. Open windows and doors if not already open
    2. Leave classroom and go for a walk for 5 minutes or 30 minutes
    3. Fresher air in room

So if you're talking a nonsense and you're questioned over it, it's now a tactic because you couldn't possibly be wrong, and it's not cool for someone to disagree with you? :rolleyes:

I have read all the way back, so I have the context.

You were quoted verbatim, and any questions I see put to you are directly related to your own words. The victim stance is annoying.

So now you've changed/added your position. Okay. By the way, are you a teacher or do you have children in a classroom right now? There is already a lot of time eaten up by constant hand washing and cleaning. To get children's coats on to go for a walk (how many times a day?) is going to cut into their learning time even more. That said, I still don't see how taking a walk contributes to ventilated air in the classroom in light of it being such a concern.

BTW, my kids school is in a rural area and the two roads on either side is a fairly busy road on one and a national road on the other. No footpaths. What now?

So you didn't use the glib expression "they're not made of sugar, they won't melt"? Why didn't you mention air quality when you mentioned it first time around, I've read back over the conversation and you don't mention it once. You never explained how everyone going for a walk was meant to sort spacing issues that still exist, nor how learning was meant to actually take place when everyone is leaving the building every 15 mins, nor how it was meant to be supervised properly.

Exasperated, yeah, you are completely right. Maybe the Dutch Air is different..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Parents complaining about kids going outside for break when it is drizzling.

You'd prefer for them to be in the same room for 5 hours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement