Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options
1317318319320321323»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Deeec

Maybe they'll ultimately have to wipe this year and start all secondary school years from scratch again in the autumn. Would it be possible to cancel all first year university courses for 2021-22?

This is a good idea. It probably would be possible to cancel uni courses if unis are financially compensated for this. Only issue I see is all primary schools would have to create a 7th class or hold back all years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Maybe they'll ultimately have to wipe this year and start all secondary school years from scratch again in the autumn. Would it be possible to cancel all first year university courses for 2021-22?

That can’t happen, it would have a knock on effect all the way back to preschool starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Thai idea has been floated a couple of time but there are a number of issues with it logistically.

First, we don't have the teachers, there are none in Dublin, you can't get a sub I'm MFL, maths, irish, home ec for love nor money! Either primary or secondary take the hit, there will be a extra year class in one or the other. Very few schools I know would even have the rooms never mind the teachers. Timetabling rooms is now as bad as timetabling staff!

Secondary, following on from the low level of teachers, we also have very few nurses, doctors, radiologist, physios, OTs etc, a year with no graduations in 4 years would be a massive shock to the system. Our health system would really struggle, never mind the fact their would be no 3rd/4th year students in the hospitals or nursing homes

Thirdly, all non permanent staff in colleges would be let go, they will leave the country, they are badly enough paid and treated here as is. So you'd also loose a nice number of the future acedemics.

The leaving very can happen, it's bell curved, the exams can be altered, the SEC will be grand organising it. The UK were due to start A level exams next month, that's why they were cancelled, we have 6 months (more if we like) to fix this,, it's not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Bríd Smith TD on CLare Byrne Rte Radio 1 doing well. While other td Patrick O Donovon trotting out party line and RIchard someting or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I know it's not the thread for it, but I say give SF a go. No party is perfect but they seem to be more on the people's side, more willing to work hard, seemingly straight shooters. Mary Lou anyway. I'd give her my vote. Can't keep going through decades of inaction and nonsense and ineptitude.
    It's easy to have all the answers when you're in opposition. They'll be much the same as this crowd when in power. Though it does seem to be a lot more chaotic since FF got back in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

plodder wrote: »
    It's easy to have all the answers when you're in opposition. They'll be much the same as this crowd when in power. Though it does seem to be a lot more chaotic since FF got back in.

I take your point. But maybe it's easier to have all the answers when you actually do. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

new thread folks, closing this as were nearing 10k posts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058147916

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement