Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

What a horrible piece in the Indo quoted above. It is so out of tune with the spirit of co-operation and neighborliness that I'm seeing between everyone out when I'm running. I find it hard to believe that any runner would spit intentionally at some other person's feet. That said, spitting even at a distance or particularly snot-rockets, don't look good to pedestrians at the best of times, and you'd hope it goes without saying that runners wouldn't do either in the present situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I hate to agree with the troll but she has a point on the spitting thing. You see it all the time, especially in races. Disgusting habit. Why can't people just swallow? (Okay doesn't sound very nice when you say it out loud but better than on the ground with people around).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

A girl spit beside me when we were about to Do a indoor mile race at nia live, definitely the most inappropriate one I've seen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

plodder wrote: »
    What a horrible piece in the Indo quoted above. It is so out of tune with the spirit of co-operation and neighborliness that I'm seeing between everyone out when I'm running. I find it hard to believe that any runner would spit intentionally at some other person's feet. That said, spitting even at a distance or particularly snot-rockets, don't look good to pedestrians at the best of times, and you'd hope it goes without saying that runners wouldn't do either in the present situation.

Yeah ... but in fairness, you do see it being done. I've caught some gob or spray from park run or even just out for a run my self. People with headphones who are in their own world. Like it is a point. And i have been out (not running ) and seen people in the park , in close proximity spitting , not even on the grass but on the path. It beggars belief

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

plodder wrote: »

Indo has turned into a trash paper. All it likes to do is give bad news. Poor journalists and takes a lot of its articles from the daily mail.

Rate the independent on the same par as the sun!!

• Advertisement

Indo has turned into a trash paper. All it likes to do is give bad news. Poor journalists and takes a lot of its articles from the daily mail.

Rate the independent on the same par as the sun!!

Yeah but regardless of the medium the message is coming from, there is an element of truth. And more so because every person and their dad is out running now... Or starting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm off to spit and snot on every dog walker i see as I run laps around my local park as usual, wish me luck!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm off to spit and snot on every dog walker i see as I run laps around my local park as usual, wish me luck!

Great to see, we're ALL sticking to the 2km rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

BKWDR wrote: »
    Yeah but regardless of the medium the message is coming from, there is an element of truth. And more so because every person and their dad is out running now... Or starting back.

There was a letter in the independent(again) today where the writer asks if he’s safe from “the droplets and spittle from the puffing and sweating jogger”

Runners are getting a bit of a bad press at the moment so I think we have to make an extra effort to make sure the non-running public have nothing to complain about (no spitting, giving people plenty of room etc) I think the vast majority of us do this anyway. I’d hate to see any further restrictions being made on running because of the bad behaviour of a few.

Yep I make a point to keep well out of peoples way, I know it would be fine to run past them but I feel uncomfortable myself even walking by people so happy to swing around them by a few metres or cross the road etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Stark wrote: »
    I don't so much hate the dogs as hate the "social distancing leads" that they're generally attached to these days.

I see your dog walker & raise you dog walker buried in her phone wandering in zigzags across the path coming towards me, at least it kept me on my toes trying to predict which way they was going to go. Don't think they even realised I passed by!

opus wrote: »
    I see your dog walker & raise you dog walker buried in her phone wandering in zigzags across the path coming towards me, at least it kept me on my toes trying to predict which way they was going to go. Don't think they even realised I passed by!

I see your phone wielding dog walker and raise you a pair of middle aged female dog walkers, with 5 dogs between them, who think they are part of a 'unit' by virtue of being dog walkers, and ignoring all distancing principles while throwing their tennis ball into the path of oncoming joggers, shouting "oooops, sorry.....!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see your phone wielding dog walker and raise you a pair of middle aged female dog walkers, with 5 dogs between them, who think they are part of a 'unit' by virtue of being dog walkers, and ignoring all distancing principles while throwing their tennis ball into the path of oncoming joggers, shouting "oooops, sorry.....!"

Any one else noticed an increase in dog sh1t on the ground the last few weeks

Burkie1203 wrote: »

There is a whole thread on it

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Yes very much so. It is like running an obstacle course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Yep I make a point to keep well out of peoples way, I know it would be fine to run past them but I feel uncomfortable myself even walking by people so happy to swing around them by a few metres or cross the road etc

This morning, I definitely made a big of deal of giving a few pedestrians an extra wide berth; I'm just aware that runners are getting a bit of flack, so no harm in being seen to make the effort. There was one particular woman, who was cowering away from me like I had a Covid Hailo, so I ended up in the middle of the (empty) traffic lane, while she was right up against the inside wall of the path. I'd say about 5m distance in the end.

The thing that really frustrates me is the people who struggle to walk straight because they are in their phones. Realistically the only way to avoid them is to cross the road entirely.

And yes, dog sh!te everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

OutTheGap wrote: »
    There was a letter in the independent(again) today where the writer asks if he’s safe from “the droplets and spittle from the puffing and sweating jogger”

Runners are getting a bit of a bad press at the moment so I think we have to make an extra effort to make sure the non-running public have nothing to complain about (no spitting, giving people plenty of room etc) I think the vast majority of us do this anyway. I’d hate to see any further restrictions being made on running because of the bad behaviour of a few.

I say f*ck them.
    They weren't on the roads before the virus and they sure won't be afterwards.
    Carry on regardless!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I found last Friday difficult, it felt a little oppressive. Also, haven't seen my colleagues in 3 weeks as we've not done Zoom, etc. Anyway, since then I've seen 4 Garda patrols locally - unmarked, marked x 3 and push bikes. My earliest run this week as at 7:10am. It was quiet, 2-3 other runners, we were about 30 metres apart or the other side of the road. Walkers too. I've stayed within the bypass and estates here, edges of the backroads, but nothing like my usual training would allow re geography, no farm country, etc. I was in Dublin city for an appointment today, it was pretty ghost town ish, bar seagulls on the acoustics. I did a tempo session tonight. I've had a few hellos, smiles and also thank yous from parents as I've given families plenty of room. Also, daffodils early morning are nice.

Hope that's OK, or should I put a trigger warning on this post?

Its nice when people appreciate the effort , we're all in this together buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I found last Friday difficult, it felt a little oppressive. Also, haven't seen my colleagues in 3 weeks as we've not done Zoom, etc. Anyway, since then I've seen 4 Garda patrols locally - unmarked, marked x 3 and push bikes. My earliest run this week as at 7:10am. It was quiet, 2-3 other runners, we were about 30 metres apart or the other side of the road. Walkers too. I've stayed within the bypass and estates here, edges of the backroads, but nothing like my usual training would allow re geography, no farm country, etc. I was in Dublin city for an appointment today, it was pretty ghost town ish, bar seagulls on the acoustics. I did a tempo session tonight. I've had a few hellos, smiles and also thank yous from parents as I've given families plenty of room. Also, daffodils early morning are nice.

Hope that's OK, or should I put a trigger warning on this post?

Ive had positive responses from people out with kids. Im usually out about 10am. Running down main roads (nominally against the traffic of which there is none)

Hint - run on right hand side of the road so if you need to step out your stepping out against the traffic direction so you have better line of sight. Its served me well so far

I try to mix my route up as much as I can and am lucky to have quite a lot of quiet housing estates close by to be able to run on the road to avoid walkers etc.

One thing that annoys me though is people on footpaths walking centrally. Like get to one side or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This isn't an anti runner post, I was going to post about it earlier, but didn't.

I'm speaking truthfully and honestly. There was a "thing" in St. Annes park in Dublin where runners would run past people leaving them very very little room. Even on the wide main avenue. Could be a Dublin thing, I'm not sure. It's happened to myself, my wife and my folks on a good few occasions, a lot of walkers, locals and park user comment on it. Runners usually coming from behind.

Mildly annoying and it's not illegal to be rude... I presume that will stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This isn't an anti runner post, I was going to post about it earlier, but didn't.

I'm speaking truthfully and honestly. There was a "thing" in St. Annes park in Dublin where runners would run past people leaving them very very little room. Even on the wide main avenue. Could be a Dublin thing, I'm not sure. It's happened to myself, my wife and my folks on a good few occasions, a lot of walkers, locals and park user comment on it. Runners usually coming from behind.

Mildly annoying and it's not illegal to be rude... I presume that will stop now.

You sound like a taxi driver starting a conversation with......”I’m not racist but......”
    :)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

You sound like a taxi driver starting a conversation with......”I’m not racist but......”
    :)

I know. ;) And I know people on this thread wouldn't be at it.

Some of my best friends are runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I agree, some runners like to make a point that they have a right to run on public paths just as much as pedestrians. I think pedestrians in general show a far bigger sense of entitlement though, especially in groups, where they often don’t give way or space on a path to a sole runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Walked into Supervalu this evening and as I was disinfecting my trolley, the small entrance area filled up with about 9-10 people coming in and out. Nobody giving others their space. Muppets. I felt very uneasy.

Running is child's play in comparison to this.

juke wrote: »
    I agree, some runners like to make a point that they have a right to run on public paths just as much as pedestrians. I think pedestrians in general show a far bigger sense of entitlement though, especially in groups, where they often don’t give way or space on a path to a sole runner.

Yeah, point made and point taken. We've started to herd the kids and veer off on to the grass when a jogger come towards us or behind us. Not ideal with a pram, but it's not worth a collision or the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yeah, point made and point taken. We've started to herd the kids and veer off on to the grass when a jogger come towards us or behind us. Not ideal with a pram, but it's not worth a collision or the hassle.

That wasn’t a dig at all, just my perception. Have experienced both - as have you, it seems.

I hope this whole chaos sees us all being more tolerant of each other.

juke wrote: »
    That wasn’t a dig at all, just my perception. Have experienced both - as have you, it seems.

I hope this whole chaos sees us all being more tolerant of each other.

I hope so too, and I hope the good will doesn't wain over time. We're sticking to the playing fields with the frisbees, boomerangs, kites and the lesser used tarmac with the skateboards and buggy. Zero joggers in the fields except for (as previously mentioned) Mick Clohisey whom from experience is a gent.

Distancing aside, it seems a lot more younger Americans are dying than Chinese and one of the reasons put forward is obesity and unfitness. All the more reasons to be exercising and more evidence that leading a healthy lifestyle can be a huge advantage in unprecedented times like these.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-young-americans-covid-19

• Advertisement

Runners are starting to sound like cyclists....

Just kidding.

Am I?

Too soon?

Advertisement