Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

On Sean O Rourke Rte 1 now.

Niall Moyna professor of health at DCU said even with the restrictions we can all get our 30mins per day.

I like to go for a run after my 30 minutes per day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Your (and that Garda's) interpretation feels wrong to me, the point of the 2KM is really to get people out but not for too long, spending two hours going round in circles goes against the spirit of the restrictions as far as I can see.

Issue isn't distance really, it's time spent in the public space passing others.

The point of the 2km is to stop too many people going to the same location such as Phoenix Park or whatever. You have to stay close to your home so you don't have a big concentration of people in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

adrian522 wrote: »
    The point of the 2km is to stop too many people going to the same location such as Phoenix Park or whatever. You have to stay close to your home so you don't have a big concentration of people in the same area.

That then increases concentration within any 2km area. The only way to reduce the concentration in the 2km areas is to limit the time out and about so therefore the word brief was used.

Some interpret this to suit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can understand the argument that people should stay in to set an example to others, that everybody should buy into the concept of staying home so as to limit spread of the virus.

What I don't accept for one second is that a guy out running is ever going to get or give the virus to or from anybody else. If I leave my house and run for an hour through the streets of Dublin, past walkers and meeting other runners on the same side of the road, at no point on that run will I be at any risk, at no point will I have any meaningful contact with another human being and pass on a virus.

Its total horse**** to say that during that run I am putting any life at risk, its just me doing a run and if I went on for another 6 hours I still wouldn't pass the virus to anybody.

The 2k limit is to keep people local, to stop people congregating in possible hotspots. I get it, I get that society wants us all to minimise contact as much as possible and I respect that. But please don't try to tell me that a guy out running is ever actually a risk of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That then increases concentration within any 2km area. The only way to reduce the concentration in the 2km areas is to limit the time out and about so therefore the word brief was used.

France has more restrictive rules than anywhere else except Spain (1km radius) but defines "brief" as 1 hour. Not 30 mins, certainly not your 10 mins horse****. (Not 2 hours either but thankfully we're not in France so the explicit 60 mins maximum rule doesn't apply here). I think based on that, we can safely assume that someone going for an hour's exercise but keeping within the 2km radius is keeping within the rules. Want to "do more"? Cross the street when you see walkers, alter route on the fly to avoid groups you see ahead, run at off-peak times. All things the people you accuse of being "selfish *****" have been doing.

Plenty of people out enjoying walks/runs/easy cycling in my area but no-one is shuffling along elbow to elbow like they would be if everyone was congregated in Glendalough/Bray to Greystones or whatever. So win for social distancing there. Negligible transmission risk, people are improving their mental and physical health so that will help relieve pressure on the health system in the months to come. Better than if they were stuck inside the whole day drinking themselves stupid which isn't going to help anyone.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not really. For example our park would be packed during the first week of the lockdown, now the 2k rule is, the car park is locked up, only people in the area will go to it.

Also means that if the virus gets into our community, it will be our community affected by it and not someone from outside the community coming to the park and spreading it else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I checked with our local Garda on Saturday about going for a run. He had no issue with it and as other posters stated the aim of the restriction was to stop people congregating in large groups at hot spots like we all saw the previous weekend.

For me I've cut the run down to 30/40 minutes and am running on the road as much as possible. It's brief, it adheres to SD rules and in no way contributes to any spread of virus and you meet far less people than going for a walk in the local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

With that word "brief" now being removed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Gov.ie now doing radio ads. I presume TV also.

Point 6 of the restrictions is " You may take brief exercise".

If the Exercise was meant to be unlimited they wouldn't have used the word brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Gov.ie now doing radio ads. I presume TV also.

Point 6 of the restrictions us " You may take brief exercise".

If the Exercise was meant to be unlimited they wouldn't have used the word brief.

I live in north Dublin. I did 14k this morning. I passed by 2 gardai on foot at 2km mark. 45 min later i passed them by again. They asked me was there many ppl about. I told them a few here and there not many. That was it.

The measures are designed to stop people congregating in parks or other hotspots. If I was doing anything wrong they would have said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Prefer to wear boxers myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Didn't Niall Moyna once suggest that anyone running a marathon slower than 3:30 shouldn't be running one at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

healy1835 wrote: »
    Didn't Niall Moyna once suggest that anyone running a marathon slower than 3:30 shouldn't be running one at all?

Speaking of which, wasnt there a lad who ran a marathon in 2km loops on the Saturday morning out in Tallaght and had the gaul to actually put in his strava that he applauds the gardai and nurses he saw leaving for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

healy1835 wrote: »

Might be lynched for this but his logic behind that comment is not that far fetched

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-long-run-how-to-prepare-for-a-marathon-1.1570602

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Amanda Brunker "opinion" piece in the indo

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/during-this-coronavirus-pandemic-selfish-joggers-are-giving-me-the-jitters-with-their-wheezing-39094081.html

She's a fu(king idiot.

I'm convinced it was her who almost knocked me down when i was cycling home through donnybrook a few years ago in her 4x4 when she was half way turning right as I was coming from the opposite direction. She never bothered looking for on coming traffic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Never click a link that starts with www.independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

micar wrote: »
    Amanda Brunker "opinion" piece in the indo

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/during-this-coronavirus-pandemic-selfish-joggers-are-giving-me-the-jitters-with-their-wheezing-39094081.html

She's a fu(king idiot.

I'm convinced it was her who almost knocked me down when i was cycling home through donnybrook a few years ago in her 4x4 when she was half way turning right as I was coming from the opposite direction. She never bothered looking for on coming traffic.

I just don't know where all these joggers are that seem to spit everywhere. I certainly never see them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cal naughton

I just don't know where all these joggers are that seem to spit everywhere. I certainly never see them

Haven't seen spitters but certainly seen a few clearing noses for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I always felt dogs hate runners as much as we hate them.
    Now after Amanda's contribution I know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't so much hate the dogs as hate the "social distancing leads" that they're generally attached to these days.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I think we'll have a running boom after this, with all the gyms closed and the amount of people suddenly deciding to get fit and realising how amazing running is

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I think we'll have a running boom after this, with all the gyms closed and the amount of people suddenly deciding to get fit and realising how amazing running is

Wait till the pubs open back up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

to settle the arguement someone should solicit the opinion of Kingston Mills, he'd be an expert at both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sure a lad did a Marathon in his back yard in the UK today so ye don't even need the 2km allowance.

https://www.sportbible.com/other/news-community-take-a-bow-man-runs-26-mile-marathon-in-his-back-garden-to-raise-money-for-nhs-20200401

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stark wrote: »
    I don't so much hate the dogs as hate the "social distancing leads" that they're generally attached to these days.

This times one million, I would bet any money that Amanda and her precious dog are separated by about 5 meters across the path by an extendable lead blocking everyone. But of course she doesn't see anything wrong with that, the spitting joggers should go jump into a ditch/mucky puddle to get around her and her mutt.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

spitting, nose clearing, puking, pissing, i even saw someone take a dump in a ditch before a xc race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

IvoryTower wrote: »
    spitting, nose clearing, puking, pissing, i even saw someone take a dump in a ditch before a xc race

Wasn't David O'Doherty by any chance?

Advertisement