Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I've been trying to access the table for the last hour or so. It's down for me.

I can't believe my eyes, heavy snow within the M50 today. And I've heard a couple of reports of friends, some phenomenal amount of snow in the likes of parts of Kilkenny. The likes of a foot or so of snow. Drifting higher.

Any reports of those living in the north midlands or Louth or Meath as to what this front is doing right now?

Not a sausage here, windy for most of day, calmed down as sun went down. It's not even cold, just an average Irish winter night, wet and miserable. Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    Willl be real upset if I wake up to sleet!!!
    Honestly what does anyone think of my snow chances???

Owen, I would be more interested in what you think your chances are of seeing snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

holly1 wrote: »
    Ah! no rain here:confused:.

Plenty here, I'll try and blow it over to you.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The latest run of the UK Meso forecasting model, gives this on the "snow prediction" chart: Good news for the West's snowlovers.

10011300_1218.gif

How accurate is that model usually tbc? I like it!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

Hasn't stopped snowing in Rathdrum in Wicklow since 1.30pm today and it's been very heavy. A thaw had started but still alot of lying snow was on the ground and now what we have on top of that is just unreal. It's worse that last week and I didn't think I would say that.
    So, schools still closed, haven't driven my car since New Years so it's annoying me now but in saying that it's been beautiful to look at and the kids have had a blast!.
    Hubbie had to get out to go to Bray to get to work in the morning as there is no way out of here, took us an hour to get the car out of here and it was scary (yes-I cried with fright at one stage), he got out eventually sliding all over the place, just waiting for him to ring me when he lands. After last week been off so many days he just cannot call in again snowed it, it's a chance that had to be taken!.
    There is no let up in the snowfall either yet, looks like it's down for the night!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

francosp wrote: »
    Plenty here, I'll try and blow it over to you.. :pac:

Dont want rain, any snow!!!!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Owen, I would be more interested in what you think your chances are of seeing snow. :)

50/50 simply because it is a mix which is worrying me past events that turned into sleet is worrying me I know I bet you that it will be blutty sleeting in the morning!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

irish1967 wrote: »
    Wow ! Didn't think we would get to 100 pages today

I didn't think there was anyone still using the '14 posts per page' setting.

desperate housewives is just startin lads.

desperate housewives is just startin lads.

Yes my fav programme is on and I cannot watch it coz our sky satellite dish has been down since about 2pm today. Going stir crazy!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Portlaoise is at sea level, I think anyway.
    I respect your forecasts and it's not in any way a dig at you.
    However I do feel that talk on this forum over the last 2 days was all about thawing and I was seen as a lier when I was saying Cork was freezing up to this moring.
    After 5/6 hours of heavy rain last night many roads were still covered in ice here in Cork this morning.Bandon (sea level) was almost impassable
    I dont want to appear rude and apologise if I come across that way, but for heaven's sake guys there is no thaw and just because it rained in dublin on Sunday didn't mean 'freeze over'
    Wouldn't it be funny (and quite likely imo) if most schools had to shut again tomorrow. Batt O'Keefee will be seen as a yoyo, but you can't blame him he is acting on inaccurate forecasting i.e freeze on, freeze off, freeze back on. When the beeb got Sunday wrong for the uk they admitted it asap but yet still continued to forecast snow for following days. Met Eireann got Sunday wrong for parts, and decided cos it had gotten mild in dub that the freeze was over
    Well it's not over and tomorrow the roads and paths will be lethal away from the South
    Fair enough. I didn't take it personally, though I haven't been making as many forecasts or talking on the models as the others, especially since Saturday. I said that snow wouldn't be seen east of the M1/M11 on Sunday/Monday, and that worked out I think (though I haven't followed all weather reports for the time).

I don't have an OS map for there, but the internet says Portlaoise is 139m ASL. I think you're right on some of the criticism of Met Eireann, but I'm sure some of your past claims didn't work out either. Including for today's event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still drizzely rain and moderate rain on and off here, the last bit of slush practically melted now in the garden.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yes my fav programme is on and I cannot watch it coz our sky satellite dish has been down since about 2pm today. Going stir crazy!!!:eek:

as mentioned earlier, this wet snow sticks to the dish. If safe to get to you just near to clear it off and it'll come back.

copacetic wrote: »
    as mentioned earlier, this wet snow sticks to the dish. If safe to get to you just near to clear it off and it'll come back.

Our dish is high up, would need a ladder and not a great night to attempt that!. Looks like you tube for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what an amazing day! snowing for 11 hours now. had it all accumulated god knows how much snow would be on the ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

I didn't think there was anyone still using the '14 posts per page' setting.

I've never got around to discovering that there was any alternative - thanks for pointing it out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Fair enough. I didn't take it personally, though I haven't been making as many forecasts or talking on the models as the others, especially since Saturday. I said that snow wouldn't be seen east of the M1/M11 on Sunday/Monday, and that worked out I think (though I haven't followed all weather reports for the time).

I don't have an OS map for there, but the internet says Portlaoise is 139m ASL. I think you're right on some of the criticism of Met Eireann, but I'm sure some of your past claims didn't work out either. Including for today's event.
    Yes too true, we are all struggling with this Winter including me.
    Anyway it's certainly on it's way out Friday.
    Funny thing is if Met Eireann stuck to their orginal thoughts last week i.e no thaw for 10 days they would have been seen as being far more accurate

what an amazing day! snowing for 11 hours now. had it all accumulated god knows how much snow would be on the ground now.

Nacho, do you fancy a location swap for a few weeks? You'll just love the drizzle down here, and I know I would enjoy your snow for a wee while. How about it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

pissing with rain here and its the coldest its been all day! .5c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Can you change the number of posts per page?? Light drizzle in maynooth now. Nothing to write home about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Less snow, more rain/sleet here now. Fairly light atm. White snow/slush cover on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The momentum is gone, its over.

1c off a low level snowstorm.

Not to be.

Good luck lads.

snaps wrote: »
    pissing with rain here and its the coldest its been all day! .5c

Yep, its kinda crappy isn't it. Bring on some decent Atlantic January storms. I have had enough of this weakling rubbish.

Nacho, do you fancy a location swap for a few weeks? You'll just love the drizzle down here, and I know I would enjoy your snow for a wee while. How about it? :pac:

finally you've seen the light:cool:

although, according to some people it seems you're too late:p, our winter( in terms of snowfall) is over now bar a brief interruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

snow ghost wrote: »
    How accurate is that model usually tbc? I like it!!! :)
    I haven't liked its precipitation predictions too much over the last couple of weeks, but as far as snow/rain predictions go, it seems to be okay but errs on the cold side a little. I'm happily open for other corrections on this:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Can you change the number of posts per page?? Light drizzle in maynooth now. Nothing to write home about
    Just figured that out myself. Only took me 5 years !! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Can you change the number of posts per page??

User CP, then Edit Options, then set No Of Posts Per Page near the bottom of the screen. Then Save settings.

All the cool kids are using 40 posts per page this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Can someone please explain to me what happened the weather today !!!

And what is in store for us tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I want Trent to go kick met.ie's butt peeeeowww peeeoooowww

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    I want Trent to go kick met.ie's butt peeeeowww peeeoooowww

who the hell is Trent:confused:

Advertisement