Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

now she said it wasnt sticking but it was snow, it does suck though dublin got harrmered on Sat and meath got nothing.

Hold the phone!!!!! We hav snow:eek: Not a lot , but it's snow nonetheless!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

moogester wrote: »
    Wind picking up a bit again in Dungannon. Temps look to be ok (i think :confused:) but nothing falling yet....hopefully wont be too long til something falls from the sky.
    Will keep you posted Owen :)

ok thanks whats it like there now temps here around 2.5c to be honest... and it is getting really really windy temps seem to be dropping too! hopefully you come back at 9pm saying its snowing!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Supercell wrote: »
    My damn satelite signal is going again, not impressed.

mine was gone when I got in, layer of wet snow stuck to the dish.

Weird wet snow in Sandyford, more than any of falls over last week, really sticky stuff, not pleasant to be out in. 4 inches or so tonight already. Roads are chaotic. Again worse than any of previous falls. Cars abandoned and stuck everywhere, a lot of hills impassable.

Snowline seems to be from Kilmacud west and dundrum south. Below and east of that its just slush.

Can only imagine how bad it is a little higher up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Despite the app on my itouch making me get up to check telling me it was snowing in maynooth it was a big fat lie! We have nada, not even rain!
    Anyone like to help me on what conditions will be in balinteer/dundrum area tomorrow? Worried about the roads getting into work. I leave 730 to get in about 830 traffic dependent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I suppose the big picture is that the thaw took hold in the southern counties and some low elevation central counties, but higher elevations almost throughout the country, and certainly the north-central regions, await the second thaw which I feel is definitely coming with a vengeance on Friday.

In the shorter term, this complex storm now goes into a phase where temperatures improve for snowfall prospects, but moisture supply decreases. These conflicting trends should produce a sort of off-and-on ever-changing mix in the Dublin area in particular, anyone who has seen considerable snow will now probably keep that and add more through the evening; anyone who has only seen sleety rain might now be seeing bits of snow, and OwenC will have to be patient because the sleet is moving at a snail's pace through Ulster, possibly swimming the length of Lough Neagh then rafting down the river to reach him. Being realistic, Owen, you'll be lucky to see even an inch of slushy snow where you are.

The situation remains a bit marginal through Wednesday and there could be further outbreaks of wet snow but the western half of the country will be seeing a slow rebound of very slightly milder air in the wake of the departing ocean storm. This may set up a weak frontal trough from about Roscommon southeast to Laois that may mark a boundary between drizzly 3 C air in the west and sleety 1 C air in the east. Winds will tend to be SW on the west side of that, and E on the east side, but not as strong as this evening.

I think attention should begin to turn to Friday because this warming has no complexities, it is a long-fetch blast of much warmer air on southerly winds and it seems locked into all reliable models, so it would be about a 90% probability that it will deliver a knockout blow for the snow left behind from all this wintry weather. This will bring temperatures as high as 11-13 C and some locally heavy rainfalls of 25-50 mms. I think this may produce a second round of flooding and probably worse than anything seen today in counties around the Wicklow and Dublin hills where a lot of the lovely upland snow is going to melt (likely to be 4-7 C at 700 metres).

This has certainly been a snowfall by elevation event more so than a snowfall by region, but the rain-snow elevation line is probably going to drop almost to sea level in the east before it's all done. Another factor to consider is that heavy snow has been falling for a few hours now in south Wales and parts of Devon, which would tend to chill the surface winds from a southeast direction heading towards Wicklow and Dublin. So I wouldn't be surprised if some places saw another 10, possibly 15 cms of snow (but higher up).

• Advertisement

Despite the app on my itouch making me get up and touch telling me it was snowing in maynooth it was a big fat lie! We have nada, not even rain!
    Anyone like to help me on what conditions will be in balinteer/dundrum area tomorrow? Worried about the roads getting into work. I leave 730 to get in about 830 traffic dependent

Where exactly are you going to? Crazy around there at the moment, cars stuck trying to get out of dundrum toward Mint, lamb doyles practically impassable etc. Might clear with grit and if snow stops overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

TV3 crisis program on weather have 2 "eminent" people coming on after the ad break to talk about current weather....now, if Martin King comes on I will LAUGH!! Turn on Tv3 folks

when will this rain stop, its been raining constantly since about 11am, not even sleet, very disappointing:( at this stage i dont care if it doesnt snow any more, like others i've been disappointed to ofter:mad:

arklow
    Lots of snow falling in ballyfad just above coolgreaney and by lots,just turn right at the post office there and it's a white out.
    Thats only 5 miles from you.It's been like that there since about 3pm,they told me!

Wesley, just off M50 up from Dundrum shopping centre. Hm, hope it'll be ok. Hate driving in bad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm in Dublin 18 and when I left work there was a good thick covering of snow on my car. I looked outside now and there's been a covering on the ground but to be honest, it looks very slushy now and I'd go as far as saying what fell earlier has melted a bit already. It looks more like a mixture of a light rain and a few flakes of snow falling outside at the moment.

However I'm in the extreme minority on this thread in that I don't want any more snow or ice.

• Advertisement

gerry fleming on TV3!!!

Wesley, just off M50 up from Dundrum shopping centre. Hm, hope it'll be ok. Hate driving in bad weather.

not too bad then, as no steep hills. will depend how tonight goes though. people couldn't get up dundrum slip road to go north tonight and it backed traffic up as far as N11 and dundrum/ranleagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

tv3 have a show on the big freeze now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is heavy wet snow here, not nice light pile high stuff.
    Last week had alpine light snow,this is just wet insane blasting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have a look at http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/ and look at M50 - Edmonstown before you leave in the morning, that's probably the highest point on your route.

Sleety snow here now not accumulating anymore or else the fall/thaw rate is equal.

1.0c DP 0.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭cdev

5+ inches of snow in Kilternan and rising fast!

Wow sounds like I just got out in time. It was sticking about 20mins when I left the area and there was plenty of slush and snow already.

Will do thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dbyrne wrote: »
    tv3 have a show on the big freeze now
    Waste of time, typical spew from the Ballymount mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

The roads around lamb doyles are in an awful state, nobody can get up hills etc. still snowing :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

well if it does snow here at 11pm and by then temps will be around 1.5/2c how long should it take for the snow to lie if it does lie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I wish they would leave climate change out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

stebishop wrote: »
    The roads around lamb doyles are in an awful state, nobody can get up hills etc. still snowing :)

That road up to Lamb Doyle's is woeful at the best of times. Far too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

0.1/-0.5°C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Talking a load of rubbish on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

owenc wrote: »
    well if it does snow here at 11pm and by then temps will be around 1.5/2c how long should it take for the snow to lie if it does lie?

After 12 minutes should be getting white

After 39 minutes you should have a dusting

After 1hr, 4mins you should have 1cm

Then you will get a cm per 30 minutes after that.

Min wrote: »
    Talking a load of rubbish on TV3.

gerry fleming is the man keeping the programme aflot. the rest is complete crap. that presenter is useless.

671b7.jpg

snow still sticking but it's like being out in a rain storm. weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Is it just me or has the nra table vanished under the snow???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The percip seems to have staled big time. Hasnt moved much at all in the past few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Worst programme ever on TV3,they haven't a clue,thank god its over,was making me puke

Advertisement