Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

No prob, just take care out there. I think tomorrow morning is going to be very bad. Schools still closed here, well even if they did open tomorrow I can't get my car out of the drive, never mind get them to school. Too risky. Horrible sleety/snow stuff falling here now and the lights keep flickering!:eek:

where are u?

i wish we got snow:rolleyes: but all we got was 13hrs of rain:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Cherrycola wrote: »
    And i have a sister in Mountbolus and they have snow since this afternoon according to her facebook pictures! Mad!!:eek:
    And Mountbolus is roughly 5 miles away from me!! very mad indeed:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

Rathdrum, it's snowed solid here today since about 1.30pm, on top of the lying snow from last week that was starting to thaw so the place is a mess to say the least!.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

danni2 wrote: »
    That's unbelievable im roughly less then 20 miles away from clara and there's 3 inches there and nothing here:eek: this is a very localise snow event. Yeah I have notice in the past we do get snowfalls when we least expect it but unfortunatly no surprised snowfall for me today. Still sleet with some wet flakes mixed in here now.

Started snowing/sleet about 11 this morning, got heavier and then eased off by tea time. Started up again about 6 ish and now it is completely white here on the Offaly Westmeath border . Tullamore getting a fall too. Strange but that's the way it goes sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

As the witching hour approaches and the snow dissipates has anyone got any Wolfesque spooky weather phenomenon to report out there that can’t be explained by science? :eek:

*cue the twilight zone music*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Is carlow likely to recieve any more snow tonight.
    Im wondering should I set alarm to bring kids to school:-):-)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

snow ghost wrote: »
    As the witching hour approaches and the snow dissipates

No sign of it dissipating here in North Tipp...if anything its getting heavier!

Couple of cm here in Athlone and still light snow falling, school open in the morning :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The snow that fell here today has gone to slush. It is an awful mess now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Goodnight everyone, enjoyed your company today as we head towards 14 hours of snowfall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

still snowing heavy here in longford. very slushy roads though. roads arent gritted. nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

are we getting more? or did you mean the snow we already got today in kk?.
    Min wrote: »
    Goodnight everyone, enjoyed your company today as we head towards 14 hours of snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Flood barriers are all up here in town,i've lived near the river all my life and i never remember it rising this fast:eek: its still rising as i left 10 mins ago.The fast thaw coupled with the rain last night has caused it.Ice and snow,now rain and flooding,what a weekend it has been:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

Another lurker here.
    I'm in Beltra Co. Sligo.
    Just under the Ox Mountains.
    We missed most of the snow but the ground here is frozen to at least a foot and a half down. It's been raining all day with just a few flurries. In the last hour we are getting pure ice falling as clear grains which are settling and making the paths and ground impossible to walk on. Reminds me of a Canadian ice storm.

Will it get colder here before dawn? Or will the atlantic push up the temps before then.

I've been following the threads for ages but have never joined in.

Thanks to all of ye for keeping us safe. I'd trust your observations more than the general forecasts as we live in a little bit of a niche climate.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Started snowing/sleet about 11 this morning, got heavier and then eased off by tea time. Started up again about 6 ish and now it is completely white here on the Offaly Westmeath border . Tullamore getting a fall too. Strange but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    Yeah very strange, oh well nothing I can do about it, i'll just have to wait for our next cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

S McC wrote: »
    Another lurker here.
    I'm in Beltra Co. Sligo.
    Just under the Ox Mountains.
    We missed most of the snow but the ground here is frozen to at least a foot and a half down. It's been raining all day with just a few flurries. In the last hour we are getting pure ice falling as clear grains which are settling and making the paths and ground impossible to walk on. Reminds me of a Canadian ice storm.

Will it get colder here before dawn? Or will the atlantic push up the temps before then.

I've been following the threads for ages but have never joined in.

Thanks to all of ye for keeping us safe. I'd trust your observations more than the general forecasts as we live in a little bit of a niche climate.

Thanks again

from the look of it the temps should be up 2mro

still snowing heavy here in longford. very slushy roads though. roads arent gritted. nightmare

Sad fact is, that in these conditions, gritting is almost a waste as most will get washed away! Really need to wait for it to stop then get the gritters out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

bassy wrote: »
    are we getting more? or did you mean the snow we already got today in kk?.

Before midnight I peaked out and it was still snowing, snowing but with a thaw going on at the same time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

from the look of it the temps should be up 2mro

Thanks for the reply.
    Just left the backdoor open to check on the outside, (have sodium lamp plugged in to see the snow/ice falling), and mouse just ran in to a kitchen with 1 jack russell and 1 cat chilled out on the floor both must at near hibernation. They didnt see the we critter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Talking to a mate of mine who lives under Mount Leinster(Carlow side) and he is watching a lightening storm come over the top of the mountain for the last hour or so.

• Advertisement

temps are on the way up. unless there broken

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I drove from Kilcormac in Offaly to Dublin this evening. From Blueball to Kinnegad was a nightmare with me having to pull over a few times as I could see nothing.

temps are on the way up. unless there broken

http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    Snow fun at all!

But this is....

1236692753355.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Thanks Bicycle. Well that cat got its head stuck in a can of whiskas an hour ago. But I think that was more down to misadventure than my banshee. I heard about the limerick bridge before too. Keep in mind that SW winds are common where i am. I have never heard this before. It is getting more intense too.

My Dad who lives nearby has just confirmed that I am not going loo la. He hears it too. He thinks its the sea churning up too but has not heard the noise before.

*Wolfe making sure the back door is locked*

Oddly, when I moved to a small hilly location last year on the Galway/Roscommon/Mayo triple point (It did not last, I hated it), I experienced the very same noise one afternoon! :eek:. It was actually around this time last year as it was very frosty at the time. I was actually in the bath when I heard a weird, low frequency humming sound that seemed to come from just over the Roscommon border. It was a very unnerving sound, and as you say, very eerie. I remember standing outside for a full hour trying to sus out this noise. The area was very isolated which made it all the more scary. It did eventually fade away and occassionally come back in varying volumes but no more did I hear it after that day. I am still a little spooked about the sound of it. No explaination I have found since.

ha ha ace pic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think that the past 24 hours have now officially reported every known weather phenomenon except perhaps sandstorm. Who says the weather sucks in Ireland? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Who says the weather sucks in Ireland? :D

I do..;):P

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

I think that the past 24 hours have now officially reported every known weather phenomenon except perhaps sandstorm. Who says the weather sucks in Ireland? :D

we aint finished yet:eek:

Sure! It beats being the weatherman in Bahrain.

Monday, clear and sunny
    Tuesday, clear and sunny
    Wednesday, clear and sunny
    Thursday, clear and sunny
    Friday, clear and sunny
    Saturday, clear and sunny
    Sunday, clear and sunny with occasional sandstorm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Dolanbaker, you must be dreading the thaw. :D

Advertisement