Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Now this is better, back to something I'm used to.

Raining intermitently, quite windy, not too cold.

Kinda like summer really.

What's the 'postman' got to say about the summer I wonder....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

When is this gonna arrive for flip sake!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Portlaoise is at sea level, I think anyway.
    I respect your forecasts and it's not in any way a dig at you.
    However I do feel that talk on this forum over the last 2 days was all about thawing and I was seen as a lier when I was saying Cork was freezing up to this moring.
    After 5/6 hours of heavy rain last night many roads were still covered in ice here in Cork this morning.Bandon (sea level) was almost impassable
    I dont want to appear rude and apologise if I come across that way, but for heaven's sake guys there is no thaw and just because it rained in dublin on Sunday didn't mean 'freeze over'
    Wouldn't it be funny (and quite likely imo) if most schools had to shut again tomorrow. Batt O'Keefee will be seen as a yoyo, but you can't blame him he is acting on inaccurate forecasting i.e freeze on, freeze off, freeze back on. When the beeb got Sunday wrong for the uk they admitted it asap but yet still continued to forecast snow for following days. Met Eireann got Sunday wrong for parts, and decided cos it had gotten mild in dub that the freeze was over
    Well it's not over and tomorrow the roads and paths will be lethal away from the South

I'm not even going to respond to everything that was in that post. You criticise Met Eireann but yet you must really have no idea as to how complex the evolution was when you do so. It was impossible, to predict precisely where the transition from rain to snow line would be. Throughout the day in fact, this actually fluctuated.

As regards to the thaw. Did anyone say there was a full thaw down in your region? No they didn't. What was simply said was that there was at least some thaw of lying snow, which had become more heavy & compacted & that temperatures, at Cork Airport, which you know is several hundred Feet ASL, were +2C yesterday.

Now, here's the definition of a thaw:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thaw
    1. To change from a frozen solid to a liquid by gradual warming.
    2. To lose stiffness, numbness, or impermeability by being warmed
    Just because the roads were covered in ice does not mean there was not a thaw.

Yesterday you said Wednesday would be the big day for flooding in Cork & yet RTE are reporting on flooding in Cork this evening on their website.

Met Eireann are far more accurate than you have been in your forecasting, less sensationalist & while not free from error, they do their best, the majority of the time. I don't deny that they have gotten things wrong over the cold spell, but 70% of the time they have been fairly spot on.

Cut out the centric, sensationalist rubbish for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Pete M. wrote: »
    Now this is better, back to something I'm used to.

Raining intermitently, quite windy, not too cold.

Kinda like summer really.

What's the 'postman' got to say about the summer I wonder....

"It'll arrive after the spring". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just figured that out myself. Only took me 5 years !! :o

:eek: And that was my 1000th post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The momentum is gone, its over.

1c off a low level snowstorm.

Not to be.

Good luck lads.

Probably around a foot of snow now and piling up higher...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ted10

Snowing since around two but didn't stick for first couple of hours. Still belting down, must be over 5 cms thick at this stage. Can't see anyone getting around too easily tomorrow. (near Glenamaddy)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

who the hell is Trent:confused:

:eek: You had better watch your back NL... last guy that said that is no longer around :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »

Probably in the small hours for you Owen. I really hope it is worth waiting for, because it wasn't for here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Just raining here in Dundalk. Water is back on though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Not often do we see snow here, its very easy to exaggerate, cant help but rewrite snowing terms widely used on boards.

Snowing = a couple of snowflakes whisping around the breeze.

Heavy snow = Snowing.

Blizzard = Average snowfall.

Blizzard & Drifts
    = Average snowfall with a few extra mm build up of snow against kerb's.

White out
    = A slight accumulation of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

owenc wrote: »

Probably when you're least expecting it owen... forget about it for a couple of hours then have a peek out of the curtains and your luck might be in. That's usually the way it is with snow... sneaks up on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Supercell wrote: »

Fantastic Supercell. How much lying snow (level) do you have now? Be careful when it begins to thaw out fully, it could be very dangerous..

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

Supercell wrote: »

Same here just down the road from you and those flakes keep increasing in size!. I've been reading this forum since the start of the snow and it's been a great help and has me addicted to the science of weather now!.:)
    Today has been bad though, never seen continuous snowfall like this. It's up past the top of my boots in the front garden and it was thawing this morning!.:eek:
    Do you think this is down for the night and what is it going to be like in the morning at this rate? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Probably in the small hours for you Owen. I really hope it is worth waiting for, because it wasn't for here.

Yea at this rate it will probably not snow I will wait to 12 I should know if it's going to snow by then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Finally wrestled the laptop off the old man. Judging by posts, seems a bit of a let down for some and a snow fest for others. Location, location, location!

Still wet and windy here in D3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

items wrote: »
    Not often do we see snow here, its very easy to exaggerate, cant help but rewrite snowing terms widely used on boards.

Snowing = a couple of snowflakes whisping around the breeze.

Heavy snow = Snowing.

Blizzard = Average snowfall.

Blizzard & Drifts
    = Average snowfall with a few extra mm build up of snow against kerb's.

White out
    = A slight accumulation of snow.

there was no hyperbole on my part;)

the snow today was very heavy indeed and being driven on in a very strong wind. so when i called it a blizzard and heavy snowfall i was not exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evening all, just a quick drop in. Posted earlier today a question about whether a trip to college this evening to Galway was advised with what i was reading about snow + gales travelling up the country..

Well unfortunately i didn't get to stay long enough to see if anyone actually replied but needless to say i didn't make college. We had to turn around at knock airport with a number of lorries stuck in the snow!!! ( ..and dear god it was the proper snowman snow that i have been craving for weeks !) and it was only a little hill ;) that just happened to go on for quite a bit lol

so we had to turn heels and come home ah well :p

Next outing to college is Sat morning early... needless to see i will be here on friday lol

see ye tomorrow!!
    Nite all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

i know where i would be now if i was in balla,the fiddlers elbow :)
    snow got heavier here :D snows since 11am I think (but wasn't really sticking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

francosp wrote: »
    I think Jean thought she was going to have to do that forecast without graphics
    She did have graphics unfortunately, those charts with that big warm sector approaching on Friday were as depressing as an episode of Eastenders.
    I wish I didn't see them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eskimocat wrote: »
    Evening all, just a quick drop in. Posted earlier today a question about whether a trip to college this evening to Galway was advised with what i was reading about snow + gales travelling up the country..

Well unfortunately i didn't get to stay long enough to see if anyone actually replied but needless to say i didn't make college. We had to turn around at knock airport with a number of lorries stuck in the snow!!! ( ..and dear god it was the proper snowman snow that i have been craving for weeks !) and it was only a little hill ;) that just happened to go on for quite a bit lol

Next outing to college is Sat morning early... needless to see i will be here on friday lol

see ye tomorrow!!
    Nite all

sorry you didn't make it. you'll have no such worries on Saturday, though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Balmy :) rain has largely ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snowaddict wrote: »
    I'm not even going to respond to everything that was in that post. You criticise Met Eireann but yet you must really have no idea as to how complex the evolution was when you do so. It was impossible, to predict precisely where the transition from rain to snow line would be. Throughout the day in fact, this actually fluctuated.

As regards to the thaw. Did anyone say there was a full thaw down in your region? No they didn't. What was simply said was that there was at least some thaw of lying snow, which had become more heavy & compacted & that temperatures, at Cork Airport, which you know is several hundred Feet ASL, were +2C yesterday.

Now, here's the definition of a thaw:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thaw

Just because the roads were covered in ice does not mean there was not a thaw.

Yesterday you said Wednesday would be the big day for flooding in Cork & yet RTE are reporting on flooding in Cork this evening on their website.

Met Eireann are far more accurate than you have been in your forecasting, less sensationalist & while not free from error, they do their best, the majority of the time. I don't deny that they have gotten things wrong over the cold spell, but 70% of the time they have been fairly spot on.

Cut out the centric, sensationalist rubbish for once.

I stuck my neck out last night and said many would see snow, I specifically mentioned Carlow/Portlaoise would see lying snow. I said Dublin would see falling snow with little if any lying.I think I was very accurate. As for Met Eireann they are pro's who have fallen very short even just taking this event today in perspective. Dublin was a half degree away from chaos, at least I mentioned the risk!!
    I have full respect for the beeb guys who have handled this event very well and were quick to acknowlege a mistake last Sunday.
    Met Eireann respond to what's happening, a weather warning out when they see snow falling.Why did they include east munster for seeing snow when all of the south was upto 6-7 today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

there was no hyperbole on my part;)

the snow today was very heavy indeed and being driven on in a very strong wind. so when i called it a blizzard and heavy snowfall i was not exaggerating.

Not doubting it at all, seen some posts with pictures attached, the post describes one story and the picture proves another if you get me. Easily done as Ireland's not really a snowfall country compared to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well, it's finally turned all white here after all and still snowing moderately. Damn satellite signal went and I knew when I checked outside it would be snowing solidly. Ironic, it's our best snowfall of this spell and the best is saved for last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why did they include east munster for seeing snow when all of the south was upto 6-7 today??

That struck me as well, its been nowhere near snowing here all day, unless they were making a specific forecast for the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Whats the chances of flooding on friday when the warm rain melts the 4ft+ of snow in the wicklow mtns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

eskimocat wrote: »

see ye tomorrow!!
    Nite all

did you get any pics?

Advertisement