Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone for some al fresco dining?!

Image002.jpg

+0.5c here, still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Pangea wrote: »

The thaw must be setting in, in scotland too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

DP backup to 1.6 - town is just 1 big slush puppy:mad: meh

Think its game over for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Another non event for me here in maynooth, thanks for the info on posts-loving it! Night everyone and enjoy the snow all who got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

why wont it snow in edenderry only got 3 showers all cold spell.i want some snow:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

wow, the utter stupidity of people amazes me sometimes

they'll probably blame it on Ice Road Truckers

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

snow started on the hill tops,
    not ment to be here till after 3am.

in the forcasts are right we should have some where between 8-12 hours of snow but being so close to the sea id say maybe 2 hours at low lvl and the hills might get the max

the upper temps seam to be -3-4 in the 925 hight and -5-6 in the 850s
    Which from reading on here should mean snow.

please if im wrong about me upper temps somebody say cause i got meself that excited i might explode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The thaw must be setting in, in scotland too!

Yeah I hear the iceberg in donegal is beginning to melt aswell :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

just driven Scarriff to Gort and it's sleeting and breezy but bog-all lying snow and only a couple of patches of black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Has snowed/sleeted/rained on and off all day in North Tipp...then from about about 4.30pm it has snowed solidly!

Cars all white, and up on the higher ground there's already at least an inch...will it last until the morning folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I stuck my neck out last night and said many would see snow, I specifically mentioned Carlow/Portlaoise would see lying snow. I said Dublin would see falling snow with little if any lying.I think I was very accurate. As for Met Eireann they are pro's who have fallen very short even just taking this event today in perspective. Dublin was a half degree away from chaos, at least I mentioned the risk!!
    I have full respect for the beeb guys who have handled this event very well and were quick to acknowlege a mistake last Sunday.
    Met Eireann respond to what's happening, a weather warning out when they see snow falling.Why did they include east munster for seeing snow when all of the south was upto 6-7 today??

Dublin was half a degree away from chaos? 1 degree lower there could have been a widespread across City & County slushy accumulation at low levels. 2 degrees lower and we might have seen something more substantial in terms of a covering that could have been disruptive, but at least 2C, even more really.

They included East Munster JS because the Comeragh Mountains happen to be located in East Munster & you might not have guessed but there was more snowfall up there today & it was far from 6C-7C. Quite a few people live up around there, at a relatively high altitude where there has been copious snowfall & today was no exception. Several people have reported fresh snowfalls from there today.

You can criticse them all you wish, but the deep freeze ended on Sunday. Residual ice because of very low ground temperatures or snowfall because of an embedded cold pool with marginal but supporting 850mb temperatures does not indicate anything of the nature of deep cold that we had in the previous 7 - 10 Days.

I'm not going to discuss this any further, I've made my points, you've made yours. The rational facts are there to be seen.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Sleet/wet snow falling here since 12pm but nothing exiting really. Looks like some of you got some nice snowfall today lucky fekers:D however enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

does anybody know what the roads are like in rathnew/kilcole/newcastle? my sons school is open 2moro, i know the roads around arklow are fine because its been raining all day but dont fancy going up to the school if the roads are bad up there:(

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wow, 11 minutes and no post! You'd know we were nearing the end of this cold spell... a little tear just formed there :(

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

danni2 wrote: »
    Sleet/wet snow falling here since 12pm but nothing exiting really. Looks like some of you got some nice snowfall today lucky fekers:D however enjoy it while it lasts.

3 inches of snow and still falling in Clara I believe. It's such a fickle thing is snowfall. We missed every event until this largely unexpected lovely fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Wow, 11 minutes and no post! You'd know we were nearing the end of this cold spell... a little tear just formed there :(

They'll be back... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

3 inches of snow and still falling in Clara I believe. It's such a fickle thing is snowfall. We missed every event until this largely unexpected lovely fall.

Yep, still falling in Tullamore. Kids will be delighted, hope it stays around til the morning.....and then melts so we can go back to normal again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cligereen

Stepping out of the lurking zone for a minute, the snow is coming down still very hard in Tullamore and sticking. Main road outside my house is completely white and cars skidding on the bend. About 2-3 inches lying snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

does anybody know what the roads are like in rathnew/kilcole/newcastle? my sons school is open 2moro, i know the roads around arklow are fine because its been raining all day but dont fancy going up to the school if the roads are bad up there:(

Hi,

I know the M11 is okay Rathnew to Bray but it's very wet. I don't know what that back road from Rathnew to Newcastle is like but I don't think heavy snow fell there but it could be slushy/icy.

But the satnav said "turn left"

_47095539_canalcar466.jpg

• Advertisement

Will we get cold spells like this throughout this winter again in Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Yep, still falling in Tullamore. Kids will be delighted, hope it stays around til the morning.....and then melts so we can go back to normal again! :D

That's exactly what is going to happen, should get an inch or two more falling tonight and a gradual melt tomorrow before balmy Thursday /Friday brings back the green again .....

Felixdhc wrote: »

Looking forward to the end of it tbh, just paid the guts of €500 for a tank of oil, I was expecting not to refill before February! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

any snow in birr co.offaly? anyone know if the schools will be open in birr tomorrow?.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Will we get cold spells like this throughout this winter again in Dublin ?

You can only predict weather for next ten days. It will be not great for them. I think though the jet stream has moved up and is moving in wave pattern rather than where it was going just west to east, south of spain. So it'll be cold and wet but not really cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

That's unbelievable im roughly less then 20 miles away from clara and there's 3 inches there and nothing here:eek: this is a very localise snow event. Yeah I have notice in the past we do get snowfalls when we least expect it but unfortunatly no surprised snowfall for me today. Still sleet with some wet flakes mixed in here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Hi,

I know the M11 is okay Rathnew to Bray but it's very wet. I don't know what that back road from Rathnew to Newcastle is like but I don't think heavy snow fell there but it could be slushy/icy.

thanks AR, i'll head up anyway and see how things are!!!! the thoughts of it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

danni2 wrote: »
    That's unbelievable im roughly less then 20 miles away from clara and there's 3 inches there and nothing here:eek: this is a very localise snow event. Yeah I have notice in the past we do get snowfalls when we least expect it but unfortunatly no surprised snowfall for me today. Still sleet with some wet flakes mixed in here now.

And i have a sister in Mountbolus and they have snow since this afternoon according to her facebook pictures! Mad!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

thanks AR, i'll head up anyway and see how things are!!!! the thoughts of it:(

No prob, just take care out there. I think tomorrow morning is going to be very bad. Schools still closed here, well even if they did open tomorrow I can't get my car out of the drive, never mind get them to school. Too risky. Horrible sleety/snow stuff falling here now and the lights keep flickering!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Good nite folks. Thanks for another interesting day. :)

Advertisement