Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That's interesting, snow ghost, I think that's probably related to the pool of colder air that sat over western Ireland on Monday being picked up by the storm and dragged through the northwest. This storm has not been a perfectly aligned rain-snow situation but I've been plotting some reports from earlier, and the general outcome seems to be that the rain-snow line started around 250-300 metres in the south and dropped gradually to near sea level in the northwest, and to near 50 metres in the east, so a bit complicated, maybe about 100 metres in Kilkenny from a few various reports, but I'm sure it's not cleanly organized.

If that storm had taken a track 50 miles further west, there might well have been a country-wide snowstorm today, and it had taken a track 50 miles east, the severe winds that hit Kerry might have been more widespread, and the almost as severe winds in Cork and Waterford would have caught the east and northwest as well, but then almost everyone would have had rain.

Anyway, as a general weather "addict" I have to confess this has been a really fascinating storm to watch but I am glad I am not actually in it, had my fill of sloppy mixed messy storms over the years. They get some awful ones in Ontario, I once recorded something like 12 inches of snow followed by an inch of freezing rain in a two-day period back in January of 1968, this covered the ground with frozen snow, huge tree branches covered with ice, even the hydro-electric lines came down in it and power was out for days.

This was before my time, but there was once a storm here in Vancouver that dropped two feet of snow followed by several inches of rain, and roofs were caving in all over the city, think that was in the 1930s some time.

Oh, I should mention about the Achill tornado report, I think that was probably inevitable given the power of the storm and the strong winds that some place would see rotation of a cell, in fact there were probably a few others that went unseen here or there maybe over parts of Kerry, from the looks of the radar around 0600. I'm wondering if any Kerry folk are on this thread now, any updates on damage locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Slight drizzle here now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Low lying areas across the midlands, east and north are continuing to see snow, with some certainly sticking.Not sure where the ludicrous comments about only elevated areas are being founded on.
    Portlaoise bypass almost closed - down to one lane -yes sea level!

As ground temps remain below freezing, as they did last night, it's very clear to me that away from the south there is no thaw.
    Roads will be lethal tonight and tomorrow morning with sleet, snow freezing on contact. I fully expect Dublin's sleetiness to turn to snow also as the heavier ppn moves east decreasing marginality.
    The beeb called this last night and so did I
    As for Met Eireann, I'll let you be the judge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭kingshankly

trogdor wrote: »
    Friend in ballinteer (right beside the dundrum shopping centre) has 2.5"
    wouldnt say hes a big hit with the women so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Low lying areas across the midlands, east and north are continuing to see snow, with some certainly sticking.Not sure where the ludicrous comments about only elevated areas are being founded on.

As ground temps remain below freezing, as they did last night, it's very clear to me that away from the south there is no thaw.
    Roads will be lethal tonight and tomorrow morning with sleet, snow freezing on contact. I fully expect Dublin's sleetiness to turn to snow also as the heavier ppn moves east decreasing marginality.
    Whoa now, don't climb too far up that high horse.

I've spoken to several people now this evening, and the only people reporting snow are relations in Ballinteer (high ground in Dublin), another in the hills north of Kilkenny and it wasn't even snowing where I'm from, higher ground in Louth. It looks like sleet's falling in most of Dublin and in the city centre it's just cold rain. I'm pretty sure the Portlaoise bypass isn't at sea level either...

Granted Dublin isn't the full story but this snow isn't falling everywhere there is ppn. I haven't made claims about it being limited to >150m asl but certainly I wouldn't call any such claims ludicrous either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

li-evo7 wrote: »
    I live in Glencullen and it is ridiculous! It has been like a blizzard since half 2 and isnt stopping anytime soon. Well over a foot of snow now! Definitely wont be getting out in the morning. Roads all compact snow and cars abandoned everywhere!! very dangerous out there.

My parents are up there and can't get out! Doesn't bother them too much as they have multiple fridges and freezers full of every asortment of food and drink! ;)

Light snow now near Athlone settling, but only about 5mm deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the snow has gotten slightly heavier again. almost 3 inches on the ground now:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Snowing for around 11 hours now, good sign though as a slight thaw is setting in......drip, drip, drip but still heavy snow falling......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well, I can confirm that this afternoon it was snowing in Carlow, raining in Athy, snowing in Stradbally, sleeting in Portlaoise, followed by rain/sleet in Mountrath.

I've spoken to several people now this evening, and the only people reporting snow are relations in Ballinteer (high ground in Dublin), another in the hills north of Kilkenny and it wasn't even snowing where I'm from, higher ground in Louth. It looks like sleet's falling in most of Dublin and in the city centre it's just cold rain. I'm pretty sure the Portlaoise bypass isn't at sea level either...

Granted Dublin isn't the full story but this snow isn't falling everywhere there is ppn. I haven't made claims about it being limited to >150m asl but certainly I wouldn't call any such claims ludicrous either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

wouldnt say hes a big hit with the women so;)

She:pac::pac: wouldn't say she's a big hit with the men either with that though:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

You have a terrible attitude. Also your forecasts have been quite inaccurate, changing frequently and full of bravado and "i told you so" anytime any small element of your forecasts are proven right. You talk quite insultingly to people on this forum who clearly have more knowledge than you, I don't know what your problem is. Dublin hasn't much snow at lowel levels at all. It's full on sleet and if anything seems to be turning more rainy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

That's interesting, snow ghost, I think that's probably related to the pool of colder air that sat over western Ireland on Monday being picked up by the storm and dragged through the northwest. This storm has not been a perfectly aligned rain-snow situation but I've been plotting some reports from earlier, and the general outcome seems to be that the rain-snow line started around 250-300 metres in the south and dropped gradually to near sea level in the northwest, and to near 50 metres in the east, so a bit complicated, maybe about 100 metres in Kilkenny from a few various reports, but I'm sure it's not cleanly organized.

If that storm had taken a track 50 miles further west, there might well have been a country-wide snowstorm today, and it had taken a track 50 miles east, the severe winds that hit Kerry might have been more widespread, and the almost as severe winds in Cork and Waterford would have caught the east and northwest as well, but then almost everyone would have had rain.

Anyway, as a general weather "addict" I have to confess this has been a really fascinating storm to watch but I am glad I am not actually in it, had my fill of sloppy mixed messy storms over the years. They get some awful ones in Ontario, I once recorded something like 12 inches of snow followed by an inch of freezing rain in a two-day period back in January of 1968, this covered the ground with frozen snow, huge tree branches covered with ice, even the hydro-electric lines came down in it and power was out for days.

This was before my time, but there was once a storm here in Vancouver that dropped two feet of snow followed by several inches of rain, and roofs were caving in all over the city, think that was in the 1930s some time.

Oh, I should mention about the Achill tornado report, I think that was probably inevitable given the power of the storm and the strong winds that some place would see rotation of a cell, in fact there were probably a few others that went unseen here or there maybe over parts of Kerry, from the looks of the radar around 0600. I'm wondering if any Kerry folk are on this thread now, any updates on damage locally?

Many thanks for your insight M.T. :)

BTW, I don't give out praise lightly, but given your relentless dedication and commitment to excellent weather reporting in this part of the world, I definitely think you should set up your own forecasting website, with videocasts of you doing your daily forecasts.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭kingshankly

just rain and wind south of dundalk here,you wouldnt put a rumour out that night

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

I think Jean thought she was going to have to do that forecast without graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    My parents are up there and can't get out! Doesn't bother them too much as they have multiple fridges and freezers full of every asortment of food and drink! ;)

I know this ain't everyone's cuppa tea but Aaaw sounds like heaven .. to me ;):P When I said we had wind earlier I exaggerated. It's more like someone is just blowing. V. calm and boring outside. Calm before the storm???? :D

Jean says sleet/snow for us tonight - we'll see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wow ! Didn't think we would get to 100 pages today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rain much lighter here now.

Sleety stuff gone,just an awful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

If you called it last night januarysnowstor, how come you failed to mention that Mayo would get the blizzards and heavy snow that we did?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'll be real upset if I wake up in the morning and this is gone! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Now light rain here. It is an awful night out. Slush is a real problem here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snow ghost wrote: »
    If you called it last night januarysnowstor, how come you failed to mention that Mayo would get the blizzards and heavy snow that we did?

And Galway! Just another case of f**k the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Hi JS - reallybad out there - advise to anyone dont travel. I was in a carpark there with easily 6" slush slipped twice - worse than when it was icy. Is precip due to get heavier do you know. Bitter cold here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Nothing much happening here in Clane,not much wind but it is very cold.It's spitting rain all evening.What are we to expect???

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

holly1 wrote: »
    Nothing much happening here in Clane,not much wind but it is very cold.It's spitting rain all evening.What are we to expect???

Armageddon... :D:D:D;)

Seriously: Lots of rain by the look of it

Portlaoise is at sea level, I think anyway.
    I respect your forecasts and it's not in any way a dig at you.
    However I do feel that talk on this forum over the last 2 days was all about thawing and I was seen as a lier when I was saying Cork was freezing up to this moring.
    After 5/6 hours of heavy rain last night many roads were still covered in ice here in Cork this morning.Bandon (sea level) was almost impassable
    I dont want to appear rude and apologise if I come across that way, but for heaven's sake guys there is no thaw and just because it rained in dublin on Sunday didn't mean 'freeze over'
    Wouldn't it be funny (and quite likely imo) if most schools had to shut again tomorrow. Batt O'Keefee will be seen as a yoyo, but you can't blame him he is acting on inaccurate forecasting i.e freeze on, freeze off, freeze back on. When the beeb got Sunday wrong for the uk they admitted it asap but yet still continued to forecast snow for following days. Met Eireann got Sunday wrong for parts, and decided cos it had gotten mild in dub that the freeze was over
    Well it's not over and tomorrow the roads and paths will be lethal away from the South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

francosp wrote: »
    Armageddon... :D:D:D;)

Seriously: Lots of rain by the look of it

Ah! no rain here:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The latest run of the UK Meso forecasting model, gives this on the "snow prediction" chart: Good news for the West's snowlovers.

10011300_1218.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'll be real upset if I wake up in the morning and this is gone! :mad:
    Willl be real upset if I wake up to sleet!!!
    Honestly what does anyone think of my snow chances???

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Hi JS - reallybad out there - advise to anyone dont travel. I was in a carpark there with easily 6" slush slipped twice - worse than when it was icy. Is precip due to get heavier do you know. Bitter cold here now.

Where you jenzz?
    Yes paths are lethal, broke my wrist myself:mad:

Advertisement