Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Im sure it will be asked in press tour but why wasn't the fight in the Allegiant Stadium?

20k isnt a big statement that fans are back, considering 12k will be in florida next week

it would have sold 70k in minutes.

The same night Garth Brooks is playing to 70k in the Allegiant, so why not have the fight a week after.

unless the agreement was in place with T-Mobile before it was announced fans can come in, but Dana would be on the ball with this thing.

anyway, 70k cowgirls and 20k UFC/Irish fans across the road from each other on the same night.

2022 will have some amount of red headed cowboy babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

fitzparker wrote: »
    Im sure it will be asked in press tour but why wasn't the fight in the Allegiant Stadium?

20k isnt a big statement that fans are back, considering 12k will be in florida next week

it would have sold 70k in minutes.

The same night Garth Brooks is playing to 70k in the Allegiant, so why not have the fight a week after.

unless the agreement was in place with T-Mobile before it was announced fans can come in, but Dana would be on the ball with this thing.

anyway, 70k cowgirls and 20k UFC/Irish fans across the road from each other on the same night.

2022 will have some amount of red headed cowboy babies!

The gate is much higher on a Vegas arena show than a stadium one, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

rob316 wrote: »
    The gate is much higher on a Vegas arena show than a stadium one, that's why.

Exactly.

20k Vegas tickets will bring in much more money than 70k stadium seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Got my ticket today. A grand so hopefully the fight goes ahead!

Got my ticket today. A grand so hopefully the fight goes ahead!

Nice!

Blow out in Vegas and a McGregor card. Great way to see off the Covid situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I take it that the fight is a 5 rounder?

If so, Conor has 2, max 3 rds to get the job done..

Unless it’s a slow snoozefest fight with little happening..

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Exactly.

not by much I would think? on a Conor card?

Khabib was the highest gate at 17m (17k seats) mcg v Poirier 2 wont beat it I dont think.

70,000 at an average ticket of $200 gets you 14m, the gate means nothing when there are 1m+ buys at home

They aren't that far off it, this could be a spectacle first ever in a brand new stadium. UFC could cement themselves as the top dog in contact sport

Looks like now Joshua v Fury will get there first

Again, there is obviously a valid reason, Dana isnt stupid, but from the outside in, For me Dana missed the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Exactly.

I very much doubt that’s correct.
    Vegas/T-Mobile Gate is higher than say $50k in Etihad in Melbourne. But the suggestion was about a stadium show in Vegas.

The average ticket FW would drop slightly. Not by so much drop the gate below T Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

not by much I would think? on a Conor card?

Khabib was the highest gate at 17m (17k seats) mcg v Poirier 2 wont beat it I dont think.

70,000 at an average ticket of $200 gets you 14m, the gate means nothing when there are 1m+ buys at home

They aren't that far off it, this could be a spectacle first ever in a brand new stadium. UFC could cement themselves as the top dog in contact sport

Looks like now Joshua v Fury will get there first

Again, there is obviously a valid reason, Dana isnt stupid, but from the outside in, For me Dana missed the mark.

I wonder if the vegas venue also covers all costs v a stadium wanting the UFC to cover costs + extra for rental?

Exactly, its a 20k seater in Vegas versus 70k Seater in Vegas

I take it the nosebleeds will be cheaper in the Allegiant, but there will be more floor seats available at higher prices.

If Floyd V Manny did 72million in MGM ( FWIW - Floyd V Conor was 55 million in T-Mobile)

Imagine what Joshua V Fury will get for 70k people

This is where I think Dana dropped the ball, to be the first in Vegas ( the home of fighting) to host an event at Allegiant

• Advertisement

I wonder if the vegas venue also covers all costs v a stadium wanting the UFC to cover costs + extra for rental?

Not sure, there is obviously a reason he didnt go for it, im sure the question will be asked of him.

For me a Conor fight or Jones V Francis are the only 2 that could fill it out at prices to cover costs and make a high profit.

In boxing Canelo (mexicans turn up for everything Saul), or Fury V Joshua

Mellor wrote: »
    But the suggestion was about a stadium show in Vegas.

Ah, was unaware the stadium was in Vegas. Forgot they had that new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The UFC are also an anchor tenant of the T-Mobile and are contracted to put on 4 fights a year there

My opinion too is you cheapen the product by putting it on in a stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

walshb wrote: »
    I take it that the fight is a 5 rounder?

If so, Conor has 2, max 3 rds to get the job done..

Unless it’s a slow snoozefest fight with little happening..

Poirier by submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah, was unaware the stadium was in Vegas. Forgot they had that new one.

That’s fair enough. If it was Miami stadium or wherever I’d agree.
    I’d say it was down to a contractual thing, or a Covid thing. They definitely want to do it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wonder will his training camp be in Portugal again?

Considering this Government's love affair with lockdowns [we haven't even unlocked from this one yet and they already seem eager to lock us down again come Winter] I wouldn't blame him if he did. Its the smartest thing he [or any other fighter in this country] can do.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Considering this Government's love affair with lockdowns [we haven't even unlocked from this one yet and they already seem eager to lock us down again come Winter] I wouldn't blame him if he did. Its the smartest thing he [or any other fighter in this country] can do.

Elite sportspeople can still train. SBGs have been open the whole time and never closed. I know people who have been training at various SBGs as never skipped a beat.

So the lockdown situation won't really make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It's a sad state of affairs when the main storyline driving this trilogy can't be discussed on the thread bearing the co-headliner's name, but UFC Gate estimates are considered more relevant? Seems a little silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's a sad state of affairs when the main storyline driving this trilogy can't be discussed on the thread bearing the co-headliner's name, but UFC Gate estimates are considered more relevant? Seems a little silly.

MMA only discussion about McGregor is impossible, it was easy when he trained and seemed innovative, but that’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The main story driving this fight is money. McGregor had no either fight that would make big money and Dustin gave up a title shot for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

MMA only discussion about McGregor is impossible, it was easy when he trained and seemed innovative, but that’s over.

I agree. When the thread is supposed to be so strictly interpreted but he fights on average once every 9-12 months, what's the void supposed to be filled by? A tactical breakdown over his Chad Mendes win? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I agree. When the thread is supposed to be so strictly interpreted but he fights on average once every 9-12 months, what's the void supposed to be filled by? A tactical breakdown over his Chad Mendes win? :pac:

Analysis of the touch butt training sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Fight talk only + Good Fight Foundation = chat the sh1t.

That aside, very quick turnaround given the outcome of the last one. Also, who is McGregor sparring with these days? Dustin trains in a shark tank and seems very much to have Mike Brown overseeing everything.

McGregor has the cut of an old rockstar making yet another sh1te album and nobody around him willing to tell him the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How long until the eagerly anticipated Jake Paul fight?

Fight talk only + Good Fight Foundation = chat the sh1t.

That aside, very quick turnaround given the outcome of the last one. Also, who is McGregor sparring with these days? Dustin trains in a shark tank and seems very much to have Mike Brown overseeing everything.

McGregor has the cut of an old rockstar making yet another sh1te album and nobody around him willing to tell him the same.

it's proved by the godfather of mma (although he doesn't like to be called it) the great Coach Kavanagh's latest Twitter post on the askren fight
    "Win or Earn" that's the true motto

John is a hungry hole that won't say boo as long as the money and free merch comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

it's proved by the godfather of mma (although he doesn't like to be called it) the great Coach Kavanagh's latest Twitter post on the askren fight
    "Win or Earn" that's the true motto

John is a hungry hole that won't say boo as long as the money and free merch comes in

Hard to believe Mcg is still at SBG, they are a complete failure of a gym.
    John isn't the only one that's a useful as a chocolate teapot, that cyclist doctor fella who is behind the FAST program is another one. Owen Roddy doing mits for Conor while he was preparing to fight Mayweather was another funny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hard to believe Mcg is still at SBG, they are a complete failure of a gym.
    John isn't the only one that's a useful as a chocolate teapot, that cyclist doctor fella who is behind the FAST program is another one. Owen Roddy doing mits for Conor while he was preparing to fight Mayweather was another funny one.

We laugh because we are Irish but MMA gyms around the world are the same its such a new sport,look at Jackson- Wink ,

Jackson isn't an expert in any one thing he made up his own Martial art Gaidojutsu imagine if an Irish lad done that you'd think he was nuts , I don't think he ever even fought ,

Winkeljohn is a former Muay Thai World champion and was a very good kickboxer but no MMA experience

Even Trevor Wittman is failed boxer ,

Wasn't John the first blackbelt in this country ? is there anyone else in Ireland who would be abetter head coach than him ?

Not sure what you expect the coaches be like in such a young sport,

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

On the whole SBG thing whats the story with Gallagher training with Krause in America? I note he said John will still be in his corner but this is an interesting, it appears Gallagher is smarter than I've given him credit for so fair play.

We laugh because we are Irish but MMA gyms around the world are the same its such a new sport,look at Jackson- Wink ,

Jackson isn't an expert in any one thing he made up his own Martial art Gaidojutsu imagine if an Irish lad done that you'd think he was nuts , I don't think he ever even fought ,

Winkeljohn is a former Muay Thai World champion and was a very good kickboxer but no MMA experience

Even Trevor Wittman is failed boxer ,

Wasn't John the first blackbelt in this country ? is there anyone else in Ireland who would be abetter head coach than him ?

Not sure what you expect the coaches be like in such a young sport,

All good if you're fighting at a local level.

But if you're fighting at a world level, you need world level coaching. Which he isn't getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

On the whole SBG thing whats the story with Gallagher training with Krause in America? I note he said John will still be in his corner but this is an interesting, it appears Gallagher is smarter than I've given him credit for so fair play.

Kavanagh is focusing all his attention on Conor for his next fight. No time for the wannabe Conor

Advertisement