Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

akelly02 wrote: »
    that could be possibe.

i think mcgregor can win the rematch with a few small adjustments

I'm not sure he can ,I don't see him stopping Dustin at the weight and Dustin will eventually get him out of there ,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not sure he can ,I don't see him stopping Dustin at the weight and Dustin will eventually get him out of there ,

People said the same thing about the Diaz rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,991 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor IMO absolutely has to stop him, unless they fight at a snail's pace

Conor is not one to hang in when the going gets real tough.....hasn't the engine, and going by how he folded in January, hasn't the stomach or spirit either

My advice would be to go all out early to KO Dustin, or to be very causal and easy going to conserve energy (hoping Dustin doesn't set a fast pace) and to land the KO blow(s)

I think this is Dustin's fight to lose.....not Conor's to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

i dont think he was far away form putting dustin away in the first.

it will be good to watch either way

People said the same thing about the Diaz rematch.

Diaz is muck...

Lump......no real skills.....

Conor did a number on him in fight 2 because he was very cute and economical, but he won't have that same success vs a far more polished Poirier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anyone think Conor should have made an arrangement with one of the tops gyms in USA to go train there for his fights.

I'm not saying get rid of Kavanagh but move the camp to one of the bigger gyms where you can train with people of a similar level every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Anyone think Conor should have made an arrangement with one of the tops gyms in USA to go train there for his fights.

I'm not saying get rid of Kavanagh but move the camp to one of the bigger gyms where you can train with people of a similar level every day.

Yep he should have, DIY Conor did it and spent the last few months at Glory MMA, however he won't do it because of all the emphasis he has put on "staying loyal" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

akelly02 wrote: »
    that could be possibe.

i think mcgregor can win the rematch with a few small adjustments

Unless Conor has been training hard every day since the fight it will be the same result. You can't sit on your ass for months at a time and then expect to catch up during fight camp [that's really are what his camps are for anymore. trying to play catch up]while you're opponents are training all day everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If only it was Deliveroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha i got done by what i thought was the official Deliveroo reply :)

He should be careful, Usman might spit in his food.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1386749087769321478?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

walshb wrote: »
    Diaz is muck...

Lump......no real skills.....

Conor did a number on him in fight 2 because he was very cute and economical, but he won't have that same success vs a far more polished Poirier.

Agreed, Diaz has great stamina but is far too one dimensional and easy to hit.

Poirier is far more dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ah he used to be funny but he's painful these days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The big problem I see in this rematch is Dustin will be far more confident. He's usually a slower starter and can be susceptible to being caught cold, like in the first fight and the fight against Michael Johnson.

Since he beat McGregor so recently I think he will be far more relaxed. Conor has to go for broke early as he won't win a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ush1 wrote: »
    The big problem I see in this rematch is Dustin will be far more confident. He's usually a slower starter and can be susceptible to being caught cold, like in the first fight and the fight against Michael Johnson.

Since he beat McGregor so recently I think he will be far more relaxed. Conor has to go for broke early as he won't win a decision.

The real problem for me is that Conor is so one dimensional and has been for far too long. No one is worried about takedowns with him.

McGregor just doesn't have the plan B to mix it up. Just like Ronda couldn't judo everyone for ever. At some stage you'll be figured out easily.

For example Poirier striking and kicking when he was expected to wrestle, Shevchenko at the weekend wrestling when she was expected to box etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The Nal wrote: »
    The real problem for me is that Conor is so one dimensional and has been for far too long. No one is worried about takedowns with him.

McGregor just doesn't have the plan B to mix it up. Just like Ronda couldn't judo everyone for ever. At some stage you'll be figured out easily.

For example Poirier striking and kicking when he was expected to wrestle, Shevchenko at the weekend wrestling when she was expected to box etc.

You make a great point to be fair. Even watching Usman try to develop his standup this weekend.

Would it also be right to say that while training is great - multiple fights a year make you shrper and keep the overall tool box more expansive?

This in a nutshell

He was never a rounded fighter for me.....and used his size to great advantage at FW. Reach, length and overall frame against mostly smaller opponents

Very competent stand up striker, but even striking, it was more pot shots and 1-2s....not at all a good combination puncher....no punches in bunches; and this was very evident in his boxing display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

walshb wrote: »
    This in a nutshell

He was never a rounded fighter for me.....and used his size to great advantage at FW. Reach, length and overall frame against mostly smaller opponents

Very competent stand up striker, but even striking, it was more pot shots and 1-2s....not at all a good combination puncher....no punches in bunches; and this was very evident in his boxing display.

He finished Alvarez with a flurry of punches

He finished Alvarez with a flurry of punches

Yes. I did think of that one. Methodically placed shots. I think 3, possibly 4...thrown together, but with those subtle pauses..

Hardly punches in bunches...

He’s far more pot shot and 1-2s.

Doesn’t let fly with real fluidity in bunches...

It’s not his style or mechanics..

He is, or was, primarily a counter puncher, so wouldn't be throwing volume the likes of the Diaz brothers, Poirier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You make a great point to be fair. Even watching Usman try to develop his standup this weekend.

Yeah. And his next opponent has a very different camp as a result. Not only can you get taken down and bored to a decision loss, you have to worry about taking KO haymakers now too.

Poirier just has to stay clear of the left hand and he wins again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Yeah. And his next opponent has a very different camp as a result. Not only can you get taken down and bored to a decision loss, you have to worry about taking KO haymakers now too.

Poirier just has to stay clear of the left hand and he wins again.

not a hope of that

i'm not a conor nut fan , but he easily hit Dustin with the left in his last fight

same could be said " if conor avoids the leg kicks he'll win "

depends which one shows up on the night

i'm not a conor nut fan , but he easily hit Dustin with the left in his last fight

He certainly caught him a few times with good shots and one seemed to briefly stop Poirier in his tracks but that's even worse news for McGregor.

He definitely has punching power but it hasn't carried over to LW as well as he'd hoped I think. If Poirier fights smart, circles away from the left and keeps a bit of distance so McGregor has to lean into his shots he'll win again without too much trouble.

Poirier's power seems to have carried over to LW better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

RoryMac wrote: »
    He certainly caught him a few times with good shots and one seemed to briefly stop Poirier in his tracks but that's even worse news for McGregor.

He definitely has punching power but it hasn't carried over to LW as well as he'd hoped I think. If Poirier fights smart, circles away from the left and keeps a bit of distance so McGregor has to lean into his shots he'll win again without too much trouble.

Poirier's power seems to have carried over to LW better

So we're ignoring he had the belt holder at that weight on his arse multiple times.......that's the state of play

I think the shots that took out Alvarez were more great timing of shots than raw power, picked him apart when he stepped forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A lot of people, huge majority, only see things based off of the previous fight despite the fact that very few rematches are anything like the previous fight. You might get the same winner but it's rarely anything like the previous fight.
    Like Masvidal got a full camp for his second fight with Usman and got knocked out for the first time in his career. He went the distance with six days notice.
    There's no doubt that McGregor's gameplan will change a lot. I'd imagine Dustin's will too.

eagle eye wrote: »
    A lot of people, huge majority, only see things based off of the previous fight despite the fact that very few rematches are anything like the previous fight. You might get the same winner but it's rarely anything like the previous fight.
    Like Masvidal got a full camp for his second fight with Usman and got knocked out for the first time in his career. He went the distance with six days notice.
    There's no doubt that McGregor's gameplan will change a lot. I'd imagine Dustin's will too.

Absolutely but as has been mentioned before the camps run by McGregor/SBG seem to be very one dimensional focused primarily on boxing while someone like Poirier seems to have a better rounded plan going into fights and a better ability to change the plan mid-fight.

Maybe he'll change it up for this fight or not need to if he's catches Poirier hard early but the longer the fight goes the more it tips in Poirier's favour

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

RoryMac wrote: »
    I think the shots that took out Alvarez were more great timing of shots than raw power, picked him apart when he stepped forward.

A great man once said

"Timing beats speed. Precision beats power" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm not sure how much McGregor's gameplan will change.

I can't see him being any less heavy on his lead leg. I can't see him trying to find a finish through anything other than the left hand.

He may go back to being more dynamic with his kicks, and using the lead leg teep might be a way to break Poirier's rhythm, and slow up his calf kicks. It would also have the added benefit of automatically shifting the weight in his stance.

However, McGregor's striking seems to have regressed in many ways, and imo, he fell in love with the idea of the power he has in his left hand, feeling that the only thing he need do was land it.

I can see him struggling to check those leg kicks again, and I'd be worried that the plan for this fight becomes 'hit Dustin with the left sooner, get him out of there quicker'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Theres not much else he can do, as eluded to by others, his whole game is built around that left hand.

Listening to his interviews and seeing his training videos I have a good idea what his gameplan is going to be.

Early on will be a lot of fancy kicks and distractions, all centred around landing the left. If he doesnt get the finish early the rest of the fight will be Conor initiating the clinch at every opportunity. He thinks he bettered Dustin there in the last fight, it doesnt seem to drain him as much cardio wise, and it's a relatively safer place for him to avoid big shots.

The fight could look very ugly and basic, similar to round 5 against diaz with Conor hoping to grind a decision.

• Advertisement

Clinch work is probably one of the more draining things to be doing, it's exhausting.
    If he can work that front teep back into things it'll help a lot, those stabbing teeps suck the life out of you.

Advertisement