Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you forgetting that he moved up from featherweight to lightweight and won the belt.
    That'd be similar to Khabib moving up from lightweight to welterweight.
    Conor was huge at featherweight just as Khabib was huge at lightweight.

People are so ****ing bad at reading comprehension these days. All you had to do is follow a three post conversation and you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    At the same time, fans are entitle to wish for superfights and what-ifs. Khabib was absolutely good enough to be a top WW. Whether he could be champion is a huge question mark. Personally I'd like to have seen it.

True. However, if Khabib does not do this it has no baring on his legacy at lightweight. It also has no baring on P4P either as this is not what P4P means.

Saying you'd like to have personally seen Khabib fight at 170 is fine. So would I.

It's another thing to say that he was afraid to do so. That's frankly dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He had surgery in the US after the Holloway fight. Same surgeon as GSP iirc. That's not really a secret.

Knees are a pain, and very slow to heel, sometimes they never do fully. But I very much doubt it's debilitated him. As mentioned above; His best performances, almost his entire UFC career came post ACL pop.

I think there is a case to be made that the knee problems and the inability to do roadwork might have detracted from him over the years, especially in the cardio department.

His cardio pre injury looked fantastic and then it fell off a cliff. Not necessarily saying it was all to do with the knee but it likely played a part imo.

All the greats in combat sports run, its an integral part of their preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Saying you'd like to have personally seen Khabib fight at 170 is fine. So would I.

It's another thing to say that he was afraid to do so. That's frankly dumb!
    Purely a selfish wish of mine.

Saying that any top fighter is afraid is general is a bit dumb imo.
    I think there is a case to be made that the knee problems and the inability to do roadwork might have detracted from him over the years, especially in the cardio department.

His cardio pre injury looked fantastic and then it fell off a cliff. Not necessarily saying it was all to do with the knee but it likely played a part imo.
    The injury could have prevented roadwork. But roadwork can be replaced with other cardio.

But if he wasn't doing it. Then that's a factor.

Walking is no good for cardio, marching is worse ;)

Plus the extra weight at 155. And extended hiatuses from full time training.
    Blah blah blah silk pajamas

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Being P4P #1 doesn't necessitate moving up a division to put yourself at a size disadvantage.

But Khabib style a huge part of it is being the bigger stronger man , He barley makes the light weight limit
    To be p4p number one you should not have to rely on your own size and weight,

As much as I dislike Conor he won the lightweight belt off the champion and is an undersized lightweight he needs to pump himself up to compete ,

Look we live in a time of multiple two weight champions ,I don't see how Khabib can be number 1 if he never even had to balls to give it a hot,

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    So you would like khabib more if he ragdolled nate Diaz and cowboy....lol can you imagine him vs Nate

What Nate and Cowboy got to do with it , them fights where at 2 weights above Conor optimal weight class

Conor fought Nate & Cowboy at welter weight so it is the same as comparing Khabib against MW's who have also fought at Welter weight like Gastlum or Till for instance .

Conor fought Khabib , Dustin & Eddie all at the weight above his best weight class,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People are so ****ing bad at reading comprehension these days. All you had to do is follow a three post conversation and you couldn't.
    I'm pointing out that Khabib never moved up despite being huge as a lightweight.
    You see people here claiming Conor won because he was big as a featherweight. Same applies to Khabib at lightweight.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm pointing out that Khabib never moved up despite being huge as a lightweight.
    You see people here claiming Conor won because he was big as a featherweight. Same applies to Khabib at lightweight.

You failed again.

Purely a selfish wish of mine.

Saying that any top fighter is afraid is general is a bit dumb imo.

The injury could have prevented roadwork. But roadwork can be replaced with other cardio.

But if he wasn't doing it. Then that's a factor.

Walking is no good for cardio, marching is worse ;)

Plus the extra weight at 155. And extended hiatuses from full time training.
    Blah blah blah silk pajamas

I agree no professional fighter is afraid of a fight but without question moving up a weight class would have him afraid of losing his 0 , maybe afraid is the wrong word , maybe nervous or not as confident ,or question himself , Does that make sense,

If Khabib wanted a shot at the WW title he would have got one no question there had to be a reason he didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

All the greats in combat sports run, its an integral part of their preparation.

nothing to do with the white stuff up his nose or the fact he made so much money the drive isnt there to do all the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What Nate and Cowboy got to do with it , them fights where at 2 weights above Conor optimal weight class

Conor fought Nate & Cowboy at welter weight so it is the same as comparing Khabib against MW's who have also fought at Welter weight like Gastlum or Till for instance .

Conor fought Khabib , Dustin & Eddie all at the weight above his best weight class,

Disingenuous nonsense to claim that 145 McGregor's optimal weight class. It's clearly 155. The Aldo fight was quite possibly the last time he physically could have made 145. It was never going to be sustainable.

Saying McGregor (a lightweight) fought Diaz and Cowboy (two lightweights) at WW (15 pound difference but really it's not given their natural size) is the same as Khabib (a very big lightweight) fighting a MW (30 pounds on the scales and likely much, much more on fight night) is either complete and utter stupidity or some sort of windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

As much as I dislike Conor he won the lightweight belt off the champion and is an undersized lightweight he needs to pump himself up to compete

He's somewhere between 170 and 180, that's generally where lightweights cut from, with the few exceptions like Khabib cutting more weight.
    Conor is not an undersized lightweight by any means, he's an undersized welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I see the Nate Diaz is 8 feet tall, weighs 300lbs and shoots lightening bolts from his arse nonsense is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Disingenuous nonsense to claim that 145 McGregor's optimal weight class. It's clearly 155. The Aldo fight was quite possibly the last time he physically could have made 145. It was never going to be sustainable.

Definitely not, only brought in George Lockhart for UFC 194 and it was arguably the best he'd looked weighing in at featherweight in the UFC.

Saying McGregor (a lightweight) fought Diaz and Cowboy (two lightweights) at WW (15 pound difference but really it's not given their natural size) is the same as Khabib (a very big lightweight) fighting a MW (30 pounds on the scales and likely much, much more on fight night) is either complete and utter stupidity or some sort of windup.

Look some of these things are FACTS its that simple

not sure why your upset by facts

The FACTS

Conor he never missed weight at 145

Khabib missed weight once at 155lbs (Trujillo )once was hospitalised before he got to the scale (Ferguson)

Diaz and Cowboy have both competed multiple times each at WW

Khabib has not fought at WW and has not fought at MW

Conor has ko's at 3 weight classes in the UFC,

Opinion

Khabib beats Conor every day of the week but he also knows who he can not beat so stuck around his own weight class ,

I see the Nate Diaz is 8 feet tall, weighs 300lbs and shoots lightening bolts from his arse nonsense is back.

Why would you think that ?
    All iv said is he fought him at welter weight , Diaz has fought at the weight multiple times which is correct

Why would you think that ?
    All iv said is he fought him at welter weight , Diaz has fought at the weight multiple times which is correct

They were the same weight in the cage for both fights. Despite the constant lies from SBG fanboys that Conor was below 170 on the night. He cut to 168 for weighings and was closer to 180 in the case. Nate Diaz at 170 cuts about the same weight Conor does. The reason the first fight was at 170 is because Nate accepted the fight while on holiday in Mexico drinking tequila and eating whatever he wanted on short notice. The second was at 170 because Conor insisted on it.

They were the same weight in the cage for both fights. Despite the constant lies from SBG fanboys that Conor was below 170 on the night. He cut to 168 for weighings and was closer to 180 in the case. Nate Diaz at 170 cuts about the same weight Conor does. The reason the first fight was at 170 is because Nate accepted the fight while on holiday in Mexico drinking tequila and eating whatever he wanted on short notice. The second was at 170 because Conor insisted on it.

I'm not a Conor fan or a SBG fan

Serious questions but why would Conor cut the extra two lbs to weigh 168 if he only had to weigh 170 ? He is always spot on why would he do that two himself and lose 2 extra pounds ?

I'll tell ye why because he didn't cut weight & he was jut weighed 168 Remember he was already dieting his way down to 155 it was only changed 2 weeks out that changed so would have been pretty lean and waiting for the last part of the cut to 155,

Anyway my point was other including Conor have been brave and while champion of a weight class they where dominate in ,They have gone up in weight for a shot at glory ,

Khabib as brilliant as he is/was would not take risk it of fighting bigger stronger men , to me its the reason I would not have him P4P top 3 ,

Serious questions but why would Conor cut the extra two lbs to weigh 168 if he only had to weigh 170 ? He is always spot on why would he do that two himself and lose 2 extra pounds ?

We know he cut weight, both fights, because his camp said so in the leadup to both fights. For the first he was over 175 the night of the fight. Nate was 178 the night before the fight after rehydrating and eating. For the second both were +/-180 in the cage.

In the lead up to the first fight they talked about the importance of the "ritual" of cutting weight and dicipline and all that mind over matter concieve believe achieve bollocks they tend to spout. When you're used to cutting 25-30lbs to get to FW it wouldn't be too must of a stretch to say you'd piss out the 7lbs to get from 175 to 168 without a whole lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

We know he cut weight, both fights, because his camp said so in the leadup to both fights. For the first he was over 175 the night of the fight. Nate was 178 the night before the fight after rehydrating and eating. For the second both were +/-180 in the cage.

In the lead up to the first fight they talked about the importance of the "ritual" of cutting weight and dicipline and all that mind over matter concieve believe achieve bollocks they tend to spout. When you're used to cutting 25-30lbs to get to FW it wouldn't be too must of a stretch to say you'd piss out the 7lbs to get from 175 to 168 without a whole lot of effort.

There was less than 3 months between the Aldo fight and the first Diaz fight. Do you think he had the same out of camp weight at FW as Diaz? He was supposed to be fighting at LW. How much weight could he have realistically put on between the two fights?

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    There was less than 3 months between the Aldo fight and the first Diaz fight. Do you think he had the same out of camp weight at FW as Diaz? He was supposed to be fighting at LW. How much weight could he have realistically put on between the two fights?

It cut from well over 165 to fight at 145. He was definitely bigger going into the first dias fight, and was bigger again going into the second. And I'm not saying he dieted to under 165 during camp before dehydrating, he cut 20 + lbs for his last 3-4 FW fights after dieting and training camp.

He would have cut similar weight for the RDA fight had it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It cut from well over 165 to fight at 145. He was definitely bigger going into the first dias fight, and was bigger again going into the second. And I'm not saying he dieted to under 165 during camp before dehydrating, he cut 20 + lbs for his last 3-4 FW fights after dieting and training camp.

He would have cut similar weight for the RDA fight had it happened.
    I agree he was cutting close to 20lbs for FW. I think that was obvious.
    It’s also obvious that he cuts less for his LW fights.

It’s the claim that he put on 15 pounds in a few months and was 180 that’s suspect. That’s a very short time to put on that much without it being must fat.
    Plus the fact he was prepping for a fight at 155. That would mean he was planning on cutting 25lbs for the RDA fight. More that he ever cut at FW. I’m not buying that.

He put on some weight.. But no where near 15lbs. I’d guess he put on 5lbs, was going to cut from 170ish for LW. When it switched to WW he relaxed a bit at was maybe a soft 172lbs.

FWIW it was Conor that made the first fight 170 too.
    Diaz (coming from Cabo) couldn’t make 155. He wanted 160, then 165. Conor said fk it, he can have 170. In hindsight it hat was foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I agree he was cutting close to 20lbs for FW. I think that was obvious.
    It’s also obvious that he cuts less for his LW fights.

It’s the claim that he put on 15 pounds in a few months and was 180 that’s suspect. That’s a very short time to put on that much without it being must fat.
    Plus the fact he was prepping for a fight at 155. That would mean he was planning on cutting 25lbs for the RDA fight. More that he ever cut at FW. I’m not buying that.

He put on some weight.. But no where near 15lbs. I’d guess he put on 5lbs, was going to cut from 170ish for LW. When it switched to WW he relaxed a bit at was maybe a soft 172lbs.

FWIW it was Conor that made the first fight 170 too.
    Diaz (coming from Cabo) couldn’t make 155. He wanted 160, then 165. Conor said fk it, he can have 170. In hindsight it hat was foolish.

Makes you think too, if Diaz was stepping in on 11 days notice, and couldn't make any less than 165, what was he cutting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

kind of sad him calling out usman like that .

usman would take his poor soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

akelly02 wrote: »

Would love to see Usman destroy him.
    I'm happy with Poirier destroying him too.

The carry on of him on Social media at the moment is painful. Clearly the "Mr Nice Guy" act for the Poirier rematch was just an act and now we have scumbag Conor abusing people on Twitter. He's no longer elite, he hasn't got punching power at 155lb and at 170lb he's be manhandled easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Khabbib already took it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor deep down knows he’s done. Probably really doubting if he can even beat Dustin, never mind Usman..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Mcgregor rambling a few years back had this eery sense of maybe just maybe he could actually do it.

Nowadays he just sounds foolish, maybe he is just doing his usual build the hype for the next fight, even if he does take Dustin (and i have doubts), will he be able for whoever has the title.

Guess I'll hold the guessing game until the next hurdle is climbed first. If he does manage to reclaim the title and Usman is still on his thrown, I could see Dana making the fight.

I just don't see how this fight goes any differently for him

Dustin just out fought him and was the better man I don't see how that changes in a few months with Conor still just basically training on his own on his Holi bobs,

There is one thing that it could be and I actually thought from day 1 and that's maybe Conor had an issue going into the last fight & didn't let it get out , I thought he looked flat even at the weigh in ,Also could have been why he was so nice a lack of confidence in what was to come,

I find it odd that Dana is also so easy & quickly just handed him the rematch especially with the belt available surely he would have wanted Dustin t fight for that, Also Conor is a huge asset to Dana in a year that's been bad for his big names , two losses against Dustin really ends him as a threat at lightweight ,

It just seems odd why everyone was so happy to quickly make a rematch of a fight that wasn't controversial or a flash ko or a lucky sub, It only makes sense for Dustin

Of course I could be completely wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I just don't see how this fight goes any differently for him

Dustin just out fought him and was the better man I don't see how that changes in a few months with Conor still just basically training on his own on his Holi bobs,

There is one thing that it could be and I actually thought from day 1 and that's maybe Conor had an issue going into the last fight & didn't let it get out , I thought he looked flat even at the weigh in ,Also could have been why he was so nice a lack of confidence in what was to come,

I find it odd that Dana is also so easy & quickly just handed him the rematch especially with the belt available surely he would have wanted Dustin t fight for that, Also Conor is a huge asset to Dana in a year that's been bad for his big names , two losses against Dustin really ends him as a threat at lightweight ,

It just seems odd why everyone was so happy to quickly make a rematch of a fight that wasn't controversial or a flash ko or a lucky sub, It only makes sense for Dustin

Of course I could be completely wrong

that could be possibe.

i think mcgregor can win the rematch with a few small adjustments

Advertisement