Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Of course they do, no one is saying otherwise. Nature is cruel sometimes and we can all accept that.
    But respectfully - can you and other supporters of the Hunt honestly not see the difference between a fox hunting out of necessity and people hunting for fun?

'For what its worth only the actual people ie the hunts man etc in charge of the hounds get to observe any kill. A fox is hunted for good reason. And the huntsman is not hunting for 'fun'. He might have satisfaction of a job done properly. It is what it is. No need for exaggeration tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

gozunda wrote: »
    'For what its worth only the actual people ie the hunts man in charge of the hounds get to observe any kill. A fox is hunted for good reason. And the huntsman is not hunting for 'fun'. He might have satisfaction of a job done properly. It is what it is. No need for exaggeration tbh.

I’ve said before I understand the need to cull even if I don’t like it.

But that’s not what the Hunt is. You don’t need hounds to control a population of wild animals.

I’ve said before I understand the need to cull even if I don’t like it. But that’s not what the Hunt is. You don’t need hounds to control a population of wild animals.

The hounds don't 'control anything. They're a there for two reasons only. The first and most important is to disperse foxes and make them wary of human habitation and livestock. Shooting won't do that. Only to remove problematic fox (cull) do hounds hunt to kill. That kill is quick in my experience no matter what you've read. Traditional hunting takes out very very few foxes. That's how it is. This type of management has very successful to date and in Ireland the remaining fox population is thriving. This unlike the UK where fox numbers in rural areas have been decimated because local populations are no longer managed. But whatever you think yourself. Posters have done their best to explain what happens and why it happens. As I said there is absolutly no need for any exageration in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Probably?

Again writing a narrative around supposition rather than fact.

Hunting hares is illegal firstly and, as I'm lucky enough to have a number of them breeding here, I do my best to keep them from disappearing from the locality. Leaving too high a population of foxes wouldn't encourage a healthy breeding population of hares.

Rabbits, meh. I don't hunt them but they have no need for protection, breeding as they do, like rabbits.

Did you ever wonder how foxes train their cubs to kill? They bring live prey down their borrows or leave injured prey outside where their cubs can practice killing and having fun with it too.

It's not like anything I'm telling you is a great secret, there's plenty of documentary evidence and sources online available for anyone to scour for information.

Nature isn't a modern version of a Beatrix Potter novella where all animals live in peace and harmony and have high jinks down by the river.
    Predators kill and eat prey, sometimes extremely horrifically, or die of starvation themselves. Bucolic, it isn't.

No it isn't.

This is a commonly held opinion that is wrong.

There is an open season from 26th September - 28th February and it is perfectly legal to shoot brown hare's during this time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Fox dug its way into my elderly mothers chicken run on Friday night and ate Lucy.
    Lucy was a 6 year old hen and dearly loved her companion hen Winny and my mum.

Mum has given me strict instructions to blow the a@se of that fox and all his pals.

just waiting for this full moon to pass and I will be out with rifle and lamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

feartuath wrote: »
    Fox dug its way into my elderly mothers chicken run on Friday night and ate Lucy.

Mum has given me strict instructions to blow the a@se of that fox and all his pals.

Had the same thing here a few days ago but i think it was a bas***d of a mink, traps are down and once this flu passes lead will fly

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

anewme wrote: »
    Discodog wrote: »
    I have already said that I support a gradual faze out. I am sure that most horses are well looked after but there are serious bad issues with racing mainly caused by betting.

I have no problem with equestrian sports like show jumping.

Your comment about Greyhounds is ridiculous. They existed long before racing. In the 1930s they were considered a fashion accessory by wealthy women.

Greyhound racing is a dying "sport"

Someone in the Work Social suggested a night at the dogs. The responses were pretty harsh snd that idea was binned before it got off the ground.

As someone who works in dog rescue and picks up the pieces from the greyhound racing industry every day, I'm delighted to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Each Fox that is killed is worth more than €1,000 to the economy. A fox could kill a lamb a day, each worth far in excess of €100 in economy activity. Farmers are right to kill as many Foxes as they can, I know lads who routinely poison the land to kill foxes and have poisoned a few wandering dogs also. Foxes are shot, trapped, poisoned and snared routinely by farmers and they are right to do it.

I’m sure there are shelters that could take them in. Or the hunters could continue to keep them and look after them.

No rescues will take in hounds and no hunters will keep a load of hounds if they weren't allowed to hunt. The foxhound breed has been finely tuned over generations through selective breeding with the sole purpose of hunting a fox and running with a horse

That's bullsh1t, rescues do take in hounds. We've even had a few left behind by the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The hounds don't 'control anything. They're a there for two reasons only. The first and most important is to disperse foxes and make them wary of human habitation and livestock. Shooting won't do that. Only to remove problematic fox (cull) do hounds hunt to kill. That kill is quick in my experience no matter what you've read. Traditional hunting takes out very very few foxes. That's how it is. This type of management has very successful to date and in Ireland the remaining fox population is thriving. This unlike the UK where fox numbers in rural areas have been decimated because local populations are no longer managed. But whatever you think yourself. Posters have done their best to explain what happens and why it happens. As I said there is absolutly no need for any exageration in this.

First of all I am not a fan of hunts due to their attitude and will cull foxes with a rifle and lamp which they need to be controlled full stop, above you say the first and important is to disperse foxes, how do you figure this out if a fox is hunted it will return to its den and territory full stop, the fox does not get on the bus a move to Dublin4. Second didn’t know that hounds were able to check the fox pulse system to determine problematic one and by pass the good fox.
    As Bulford has correctly stated the damage a fox does first hand is something that the do Gooders need to witness and see the damage they cause.
    The best control is a bullet in time quick and fast and no glory involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That's bullsh1t, rescues do take in hounds. We've even had a few left behind by the hunt.

Yeah rescues take in the odd stray hound but if fox hunting was banned in the morning as the antis wish,would the rescue centres be opening their doors and have the red carpet out for a couple of thousand hounds,most of which couldn't be rehomed?
    I'd imagine it would be mass euthanasia and the nearest boghole or cremation.

Rescue centres

I thought these people were worth a call when my 14 year old terrier had to be put to sleep.

I hand Limerick Animal Welfare, turns out you cannot rehome a rescued dog when you do not have an enclosed garden.

I am a farmer for feck sake how can I enclose a garden, a dog run is not good enough.

more discrimination from those double standard people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The fox feels nothing, it's made of string.

Rescue centres

I thought these people were worth a call when my 14 year old terrier had to be put to sleep.

I hand Limerick Animal Welfare, turns out you cannot rehome a rescued dog when you do not have an enclosed garden.

I am a farmer for feck sake how can I enclose a garden, a dog run is not good enough.

Because you can't home a dog someplace where it is free to wander. It can stay away, get killed on the road or get into trouble with livestock or neighbours. You're not responsible for the dog if it can leave your property unaccompanied.

Yeah rescues take in the odd stray hound but if fox hunting was banned in the morning as the antis wish,would the rescue centres be opening their doors and have the red carpet out for a couple of thousand hounds,most of which couldn't be rehomed?

Rescues would do their best to accommodate as many as possible but as someone else already said if fox hunting was banned in the morning the owners of the dogs would still be responsible for them. They would have to rehome them themselves or look after them even if they can't hunt them. It's pretty sick that they'd consider killing them all once they no longer have a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

In Oscar Wilde's play, A Woman of No Importance, fox hunting is described as the "the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable"

Jim 77 wrote: »
    In Oscar Wilde's play, A Woman of No Importance, fox hunting is described as the "the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable"

You’ve got some daily mirror reading farmers in here so I don’t think you’ll win them over with that one.

A peculiar quote considering Oscar Wilde was pursued for something then considered unspeakable and which is absolutely normal today. In that quote it's believed that Oscar was making a sly dig at those better off than himself. He latter died in penury.

Not generally in this part of the world - it would infact appear that the fox is considered edible by some. There really is no accounting for some peoples opinion I suppose.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/487204-how-to-cook-fox-meat/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Probably?

Did you ever wonder how foxes train their cubs to kill? They bring live prey down their borrows or leave injured prey outside where their cubs can practice killing and having fun with it too.

It's not like anything I'm telling you is a great secret, there's plenty of documentary evidence and sources online available for anyone to scour for information.

Nature isn't a modern version of a Beatrix Potter novella where all animals live in peace and harmony and have high jinks down by the river.
    Predators kill and eat prey, sometimes extremely horrifically, or die of starvation themselve
    s. Bucolic, it isn't.

Reminds me of someone on another forum a few years ago, when I said that my farmer neighbour was delivering a lamb and there was a fox watching waiting to pounce... She asked me was he a liar; she had read a book on foxes that loved them and opined they ate mostly rats..no danger to lambs. so clearly my neighbour was lying..

I have lived deep rural decades and know the risks and the blood lusts of foxes, lost too many hens to them too.

Thank you for your wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I would describe Oscar Wilde as a unfathomable pursuit of the unspeakable. 16 year old boys should be off the menu. A Predator in his own right.

• Advertisement

Anyone familiar with reading the Bible will recall that (Judges 15.4) Samson went out and captured 300 foxes, tied them together in pairs and then set their tails on fire before releasing them into the crops of the Philistines.

Samson was some man for the fox hunting.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So hunts would break the law regarding animal welfare.

The Greyhound industry already dumps it's unwanted dogs on rescues. We can't expect hunters to show any decency when it comes to the welfare of their dogs.

It's so easy to make a hen house secure. I used some chain link fence under the house.

Because you can't home a dog someplace where it is free to wander. It can stay away, get killed on the road or get into trouble with livestock or neighbours. You're not responsible for the dog if it can leave your property unaccompanied.

Yet these same rescue centres will supply with as many cats as I want to roam the country side killing songbirds in their hundreds and spreading disease in farmland.

Rescue centres

My pup came from a rescue & I don't have a secure garden. I explained that he would get two long off lead walks per day & the rescue were pleased to let me have him

Yet these same rescue centres will supply with as many cats as I want to roam the country side killing songbirds in their hundreds and spreading disease in farmland.

Just to clarify this old chestnut. The RSPB say that changes to farmland etc is responsible for the drop in bird numbers, not cats.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/gardening-for-wildlife/animal-deterrents/cats-and-garden-birds/are-cats-causing-bird-declines/

So hunts would break the law regarding animal welfare.

The Greyhound industry already dumps it's unwanted dogs on rescues. We can't expect hunters to show any decency when it comes to the welfare of their dogs.

Ask any vet or pharmacist who has customers that keep hunting dogs and you'll get a nice surprise.

Ask any vet or pharmacist who has customers that keep hunting dogs and you'll get a nice surprise.

Hunt hounds or gundogs ?

Just to clarify this old chestnut. The RSPB say that changes to farmland etc is responsible for the drop in bird numbers, not cats https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/gardening-for-wildlife/animal-deterrents/cats-and-garden-birds/are-cats-causing-bird-declines/

Dealing with hoary chestnuts ...That's the Royal society for the Protection of Birds - as in the queen of England - as in the UK? So it's not a study relevant to this country ie the ROI then?. Just as we don't have the Rspca here? Clear on that yeah? Even if we were to take a single organisations view point it would appear that from other data from across the water that "Britain’s 11 million cats kill about 55 million birds and 220 million other animals each year". That's quite a lot imo.

See: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/protect-birds-by-putting-chips-on-cats-x002hcs0k

Plus it needs to be remembered that our agricultural sector is markedly different to that in the UK ....

Anyway I'd prefer to see a lot more relevant relevant studies. Thanks ....

• Advertisement

Dealing with hoary chestnuts ...That's the Royal society for the Protection if Birds - as in the queen of England - as in the UK? So it's not a study relevant to this country ie the ROI then?. Just as we don't have the Rspca here? Clear on that yeah? Even if we were to take a single organisations view point it would appear that from other data from across the water that "Britain’s 11 million cats kill about 55 million birds and 220 million other animals each year". That's quite a lot imo.

See: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/protect-birds-by-putting-chips-on-cats-x002hcs0k

Plus it needs to be remembered that our agricultural sector is markedly different to that in the UK ....

Anyway I'd prefer to see a lot more relevant relevant studies. Thanks ....

You wouldn't believe anything that might oppose your view.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement