Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just found this on youtube from the volvo. 1st 4 minutes should get your underwear moistened, 4.5 mins to about 7 should make most of us thankful theres other boats around when we race. The guy going over the side at about 5 mins is justin Slattery and about 7 is damian foxall 2 of our most accomplished modern ocean racers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Vexorg

25 to 35 seconds looks like zero gravity training pretty amazing stuff. Did you link to the correct video, 5 to 7 minutes is talking about repairing the carbon sandwich. Great video all the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vexorg wrote: »
    25 to 35 seconds looks like zero gravity training pretty amazing stuff. Did you link to the correct video, 5 to 7 minutes is talking about repairing the carbon sandwich. Great video all the same.

Think so, it's a fairly infamous video of someone going overboard secured to the halyard to repair the boat. They had to slow down to nothing to get the job done, still scary stuff.

DOH! was looking for guys being washed overboard... Too much happy christmas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Wanted 10 guy's/girls to help me hold down my boat cover :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fergal, did your cover survive?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I had a double cover on it one of the silver ones and then a cheep blue tarpaulin over it, the silver one is ok but the blue one is like a spiders web :eek: I also lost a few sheets of corrugated perspex from my lean to :( but at least the boats are ok I had visions of going out the next morning and seeing a slate sticking out of the deck.
    I hope all your boats are ok it was a good breeze :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

New years day not looking good for sailing with the forecasts for wind.

I had the most bizarre dream involving boats, trailers etc last night

Very high tides and water levels around the country I hope all your boats are safe and sound. The Liffey is very high at the moment even flooding the East Link bridge :eek:

Looks like Stoops got another wetting
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153875925140413

• Advertisement

Im out of the country but had a look at the hyc webcam earlier. Dont think in 20 years ive ever seen the breakwater in howth totally covered. Meant to be the highest tides in a hundred years. Hope my boat is ok its survived worse

It's the highest I have seen in a while and it might get worse on sunday and monday as another storm front moves in :eek:

1497770_468326286610459_1783363895_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Its crazy the weather lately, boat will be locked up for a while

Here is a link from Irish Coast Guard showing the swell over the next few days, just click play. http://magicseaweed.com/MSW-Surf-Charts/1/?imageScale=swell&chartType=HTSGW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

fergal.b wrote: »
    Here is a link from Irish Coast Guard showing the swell over the next few days, just click play. http://magicseaweed.com/MSW-Surf-Charts/1/?imageScale=swell&chartType=HTSGW

That forcefield down in Kerry seems to be working!! It looked as if we were going to be swallowed by a black hole there..

Steve wrote: »
    That forcefield down in Kerry seems to be working!! It looked as if we were going to be swallowed by a black hole there..

They are beating it off with hurley sticks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, couldn't get that to work earlier on the phone....

:eek:

I wouldn't be doing too much cleaning up in Lahinch if I were them!

On the subject of boats, I wonder did DL marina stay attached to its poles? Pic from a pal of mine showed the pontoons about six inches from the top of the poles the other day :eek:

I sincerely hope our boat is still up on its trailer, must tip out and check sometime soon.....

Sympathies to all who have suffered damage in the last few weeks - I'm just back from the Westport area and there's carnage in spots, but nothing compared to some other places.

You would think in this day and age every harbour and marina would have working web cam's so people can keep a eye on their boats. http://www.camvista.com/ireland/dublin-bay-webcam-dun-laoghaire-ferryport.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

yawhat! wrote: »
    Its crazy the weather lately, boat will be locked up for a while
    That black hole was rather bad alright. Cover was torn from eyelets and blown out of its boltropes – no idea how far it travelled but it escaped tall trees so for a while it was a risk to aviation; replacement suffered equally. Several trees down, sawn, drawn and quartered. More to go. Could not even think about antifouling in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Insurance media are stating that Costa Concordia's insurers have paid out $1 billion to date out of a budgeted $1.6 billion and expect that the 1.6 might not be enough....

I heard there are 9 yachts adrift in Kinsale :eek: anybody down that way.

• Advertisement

Irish Coast Guard FB page https://www.facebook.com/IrishCoastGuard?fref=ts say's 4 towed in and 5 on the rocks :eek:

Irish Coast Guard FB page https://www.facebook.com/IrishCoastGuard?fref=ts say's 4 towed in and 5 on the rocks :eek:

While reading through their page for the Kinsale news, came across a report of not one, but TWO people who had to be rescued on the DL East Pier having been washed off their feet (one from the upper to the lower level :eek:).

Darwin awards all round :mad:

It beggars belief the things some people are getting up to even after the warnings, I saw one video of a guy jumping off a high board into the sea in the hight of the storm I guess just for a few min's of youtube fame :confused:

It beggars belief the things some people are getting up to even after the warnings, I saw one video of a guy jumping off a high board into the sea in the hight of the storm I guess just for a few min's of youtube fame :confused:

Think that was in 2011, but your point still absolutely stands.

It boils my blood to think that he (and all those other gob****es acting the hero) take up the time - and risk the lives - of the emergency services while there might be other actual emergencies happening :mad::mad::mad:

Possibly one of the cases I mentioned was in Howth - some more blood-boiling pics here

https://www.facebook.com/ian.carruthers.395/media_set?set=a.10152147817016718.1073741842.631736717&type=1

Are there enough Darwin awards in existence? Should we mint some more?

I need to stop looking at these pages or I'll have a stroke.

A little spin on a J-class I do like this boat :)

A bit of racing from the j class for those of you that are missing been out on the water.

A bit of racing from the j class for those of you that are missing been out on the water.

Lovely sail yesterday out in Howth, sailing season has started.

neris wrote: »
    Lovely sail yesterday out in Howth, sailing season has started.
    T'was feicin cold though....

:D:D:D:D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Looking for some place to build miles towards yacht master, learn a few new tricks any suggestions?

Prefer ireland I think its better to learn in conditions you sail. Im a member of a club on the west coast but its more racing orientated, im looking to push on to ocean trips and extended cruises.

• Advertisement

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Looking for some place to build miles towards yacht master, learn a few new tricks any suggestions?

Prefer ireland I think its better to learn in conditions you sail. Im a member of a club on the west coast but its more racing orientated, im looking to push on to ocean trips and extended cruises.

There is a sticky at the top of the main page "crew available" post on that and if anything come up you will be spotted there.

Gust speeds up to 59 kts (F11) in Dún Laoghaire Harbour at the moment :eek: http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/ it's going to be a wild one.

64.3 (f12)

Its a pity none of the web cams are up.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

There is a sticky at the top of the main page "crew available" post on that and if anything come up you will be spotted there.

Ya I seen that fergal, seems to be alot of racing crews which I already do but would like to get on crews for longer passages deliverys etc. I have got some from my club but cant hurt to check further a field. I'd be willing to travel anyplace in ireland really for the right opportunity.

T'was feicin cold though....

:D:D:D:D:D

Thought it was rather pleasent if a little wet at times. Good fun with the kite downwind

An 82 foot wave :eek: was recorded off kinsale http://www.southerns...le-12022014.htm It's quite bad here on the East coast at the moment don't think I have ever felt wind gusts like this before.
    Be safe.

RNLI rescue four fisherman in Galway today

Looked horrible, fair play to those volunteers from the RNLI

Had to laugh at the hyping up of TV3 just now... pics of boats straining on their moorings in Crosshaven - "some of them looked in danger of capsizing" :D

There will be one owner though who'll be in need of a new jib....a lovely shot the whole thing unfurled and flapping furiously :eek:

A few others will be in need of new covers, there was a lot of flapping going on in DL coal harbour as well!

Dramatic video of double wave over the sea wall at Spiddal Pier..

(can't believe I just posted that, spending too much time on thejournal.ie)

• Advertisement

Boss man at it again :eek:

Grief!

Dinghy sailing starting back soon, I imagine that will be a cold experience

Saw this on FB earlier.... he must have one pair of seriously grippy shoes!

And as for that dive - UTV's Splash series should be on to him pronto for the next run!

He has a lot to learn about diving alright :)

article-2095929-118CEB97000005DC-229_638x426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JR IRELAND

that's an amazing AD

Woohooo, just booked accomodation in Kinsale for Cork week, I'll be sailing and the OH is coming along to do some touring around Cork :) He's also my designated chauffeur for the week :D

Any tips from any veterans on what to expect of the four days racing?

• Advertisement

Wasn't there for the last two, but was there for the two before that (when it was five days racing).

Best organised racing in the country (that I've come across anyway).

When we were down there there were 400-500 boats on five courses - I think I heard last time there were in or around 100, so I don't know how that has affected the setup, but there can't possibly have been the same atmosphere. May well have been better though, it was an awful scrum the years I was there!

You will be fleeced at every turn. Beers in the RCYC, beers in the pubs in town, accomodation, meals out, everything. Have deep pockets.

Brilliant, brilliant fun.

The Harbour Course (assuming they still have it) was my favourite of all - a romp all the way from outside Roche's Point up to Cobh where we practically stuck the nose of the boat under the boardwalk and could see the whites of the pedestrians' eyes - and half the fleet ran aground :D

It was a brilliant week, you'll have a great time. And learn LOADS. There's a lot to be said for a solid week of racing all day every day, you'll learn ten times as much as doing the same number of hours over a few months of Saturdays.

Jealous!!!

ETA - hold on.... Kinsale? Cork Week? Are you sure? Kinsale has Sovereign's Week (I think!), Crosshaven has Cork Week....... I'm on about Cork Week in Crosshaven. Hope I haven't got wires crossed here!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wasn't there for the last two, but was there for the two before that (when it was five days racing).

Best organised racing in the country (that I've come across anyway).

When we were down there there were 400-500 boats on five courses - I think I heard last time there were in or around 100, so I don't know how that has affected the setup, but there can't possibly have been the same atmosphere. May well have been better though, it was an awful scrum the years I was there!

You will be fleeced at every turn. Beers in the RCYC, beers in the pubs in town, accomodation, meals out, everything. Have deep pockets.

Brilliant, brilliant fun.

The Harbour Course (assuming they still have it) was my favourite of all - a romp all the way from outside Roche's Point up to Cobh where we practically stuck the nose of the boat under the boardwalk and could see the whites of the pedestrians' eyes - and half the fleet ran aground :D

It was a brilliant week, you'll have a great time. And learn LOADS. There's a lot to be said for a solid week of racing all day every day, you'll learn ten times as much as doing the same number of hours over a few months of Saturdays.

Jealous!!!

ETA - hold on.... Kinsale? Cork Week? Are you sure? Kinsale has Sovereign's Week (I think!), Crosshaven has Cork Week....... I'm on about Cork Week in Crosshaven. Hope I haven't got wires crossed here!

Yeah it's Crosshaven, but as I'm trying to combine Cork week with a holiday with the OH and LOATHE hotels as I travel a lot with work, I found a great apartment in Kinsale, don't mind driving each day, and the OH doesn't drink so he will happily schedule what he's doing with any social activities that take place :) And it means that we can have a night or two together outside of somewhere like Carrigaline heaving with sailors (he's not a fan of sailing at all!)

THey do still have the Harbour course, looking forward to that :)

Thanks for the post :)

Kinsale is a great spot, especially good if you like seafood restaurants

Stheno wrote: »
    Yeah it's Crosshaven, but as I'm trying to combine Cork week with a holiday with the OH and LOATHE hotels as I travel a lot with work, I found a great apartment in Kinsale, don't mind driving each day, and the OH doesn't drink so he will happily schedule what he's doing with any social activities that take place :) And it means that we can have a night or two together outside of somewhere like Carrigaline heaving with sailors (he's not a fan of sailing at all!)

THey do still have the Harbour course, looking forward to that :)

Thanks for the post :)

Yeah, just checked, seems Sovereign's Cup is every second year opposite Cork Week. I thought it was yearly.

I thought Kinsale was a lot further from Crosshaven than it seems to be - and if you've a non-drinker to chauffeur you to and from, then you're sorted! You'll still have very early starts, though! Sailing courses can be an hour from the pontoon/raft.

But it's a blast of a week, you'll have a great time!

Vexorg wrote: »
    Kinsale is a great spot, especially good if you like seafood restaurants

Yup, love my seafood :)
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yeah, just checked, seems Sovereign's Cup is every second year opposite Cork Week. I thought it was yearly.

I thought Kinsale was a lot further from Crosshaven than it seems to be - and if you've a non-drinker to chauffeur you to and from, then you're sorted! You'll still have very early starts, though! Sailing courses can be an hour from the pontoon/raft.

But it's a blast of a week, you'll have a great time!

It's less than 20 mins drive and I expect I'll be driving to Carrigaline and meeting the lads there as they are staying there. The OH is great about the sailing/chauffeuring side of things tbh, and it's a quarter of my holidays from work to go, so using it for him to visit relatives (he's from Cork), do history stuff which drives me bats, and other random stuff while I'm out sailing makes sense :)

Come the longer days I'll be out sailing up to six days a week (evenings and weekends) and he is very very accomodating about that, so it will be nice to combine the two :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement