Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

JamesM wrote: »
    Looking great. She's had a couple of re-fits, one recently.
    Robin is a Legend - in the true sense of the word.

I'd only ever seen photos in his book, so it's impressive to see her sailing along.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A real shame that Bernard Moitessier has effectively been whitewashed from the history books for this event. He was far ahead of RKJ and would have easily won the race. He knew this himself and didn't want the fanfare and media attention so after nearly completing the circumnavigation he simply turned around and headed off to the Pacific again. He would rather be at sea than finish the race, get the record and all the glory and attention that went with that. His book about the race is outstanding, one of the best sailing books available. It contrasts sharply with RKJ's own account of the race and for me, Moitessier is the real champion of that incredible first event.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very happy to say that I stand corrected:

https://twitter.com/yachtingmonthly/status/1009752971368755200

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yeah I saw that on facebook yesterday and meant to put it in here. Nice touch that the two boats will form the start line, and that Bernard Moitessier is getting at least some of the recognition he deserves. I wonder how he would have felt about this edition of the race?

Oh I don't imagine he was an easy guy to please, but you'd like to think he'd be pleased with a more Corinthian spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Oh I don't imagine he was an easy guy to please, but you'd like to think he'd be pleased with a more Corinthian spirit.

I agree - he also was a very strange person but that was what it took to achieve what he did. 'Tamata & the Alliance' gives good insight into his childhood/early days but whether it was because of the translation or his style I found that book an interesting but not very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

I have always felt Moitessier had that race. He started 6 weeks behind NK and was only 19 days behind at the Horn, he was closing in fast and had the far superior boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anyone tried to get new insurance for this year or switch insurers? Im trying to get my boat which has been out of water last 2 years insured again and no one seems willing to take on new business. Age is a problem, material is a problem everything seems to be a problem. Even if i get a survey they still wont commit to give a quote

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

neris wrote: »
    Anyone tried to get new insurance for this year or switch insurers? Im trying to get my boat which has been out of water last 2 years insured again and no one seems willing to take on new business. Age is a problem, material is a problem everything seems to be a problem. Even if i get a survey they still wont commit to give a quote

Try craft insure you should be able to get an online quote here. http://www.craftinsure.ie/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've gotten some online quotes from Allianz for some boats I'm potentially looking at buying! boat was 1988, and now looking at a 1986 boat!

• Advertisement

I've gotten some online quotes from Allianz for some boats I'm potentially looking at buying! boat was 1988, and now looking at a 1986 boat!

Mines 86 and usual insurance bollix about it been to old

Mines 86 and usual insurance bollix about it been to old

I ran another quote with Allianz today for a 1986 First 26, and they quoted me €212

Irish coastal waters only
    Berthed in a marina (although this would only be for the remainder of this season)
    No racing risk
    Value under 10k

I ran another quote with Allianz today for a 1986 First 26, and they quoted me €212

Irish coastal waters only
    Berthed in a marina (although this would only be for the remainder of this season)
    No racing risk
    Value under 10k

I'm racing (boats a pure racer useless cruiser) even 3rd party is a pain under 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Conchir wrote: »
    The Golden Globe Race starts on the 1st of July, with the fleet currently racing from Falmouth to Les Sables d'Olonne (the GGR start/finish). Our own Gregor McGuckin isn't doing bad at all in this little taster.

ueKnJJ9h.jpg?1

It'll be very interesting to see how he does when the race proper begins.
    This race is starting today. Live videos on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/goldengloberace/. Start is at 11am our time.

Best of luck to Gregor!

Looks like the round ireland fleet have a good breeze and moving at a fair clip

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/round-ireland/item/39762-round-ireland-day-2-2pm-record-speeds-confound-weather-predictions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

https://roundireland.ie/wp/index.php/follow-the-race-yellowbrick-race-tracker/

Looks like a nasty beat up the west coast. ugh.

Steve wrote: »

Three down now. I went down to see the start and was hopping mad that this was the year I decided not to do it.

But they're welcome to it!

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/round-ireland/item/39768-more-retirals-from-round-ireland-race

It is reported by organisers the sole trimaran in the race, Trilogic, experienced 'big seas and 45-knot gusts' off the Kerry coastline and blew out a key sail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Still can't believe Rockabill and Wow got fixed in time for the race. That was a serious crash last weekend.

Still can't believe Rockabill and Wow got fixed in time for the race. That was a serious crash last weekend.
    I only saw a pic of Rockabill, and that was bad enough!

I can't believe that one of the Mini Transats (who started after the main fleet) beat WOW to the Fastnet! :eek:

(bet they're getting rightlly trashed beating up the west coast!)

ETA - and looks like there's another retiral

Who hit who

• Advertisement

Seems to be a few over night retirals into various Kerry harbours on the round ireland

Who hit who

Wasn't there myself but from what I've been told, it was on the start line - side by side, wow bore off and tried to duck but didn't clear. and hit R on the quarter.

Manoever I've done myself plenty of times in large boats (C1). seriously hard to judge if you have enough room to do it.

Seems to be a few over night retirals into various Kerry harbours on the round ireland

Like I said, nasty beat up the west coast. Not everyone's cup of tea and likely a lot of gear failures.

Early this morning, former race winner Michael Boyd on Jedi reported a Man Overboard who was “immediately and efficiently” recovered on board. The Irish Coast Guard was informed but no further action was required and the team is continuing with the race.

Say that scared the **** out of them

Looking at the tracker the last boat is barely around the fastest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I know the fleet is off Mayo/Donegal, but yesterday the wind was not that heavy. On the Kenmare River the winds were southerly all day today, and most of yesterday, rarely more than 25 knots, just a few gusts to 30. No wind now, and high water was an hour ago, so a long slog for the tail-enders.

Ninepin Rock during race day one at the 2018 NZ Millennium Cup in the Bay of Islands.

DhVg0FEX4AEVMYk.jpg

Lots of excitement in big boat sailing too!

DhR7r3hXcAE9qGZ.jpg

Just down in Kildare Village where I picked up a Musto BR1 jacket for €113, and the BR2 sallopettes for only €50 (they are €100 (€270 rrp) but you get 50% off sallopettes if bought with a jacket)

So a full set of gear for €163.

Great value!

• Advertisement

Can you post a pic of the BR1 jacket?

I have seen several variations of them all with the BR1 label on.

Advertisement