Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ah the default pink pallate is rolled out for ladies active wear. Not a red or grey or navy (or anything that would go with my sailing gear) in sight.

*sigh*

I just realized how utterly female such a complaint is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I am lucky to have natural insulation, so have not needed base layers, my mid layer has been enough so far this winter, outer layers have not been used as we have only had rain on one day of sailing this year during the summer. We seem to be having a mild season, I don't recall the weather this time last year, late autumn early winter, but have a feeling it was colder.

I have the opposite problem with leg length, usually my sailing gear is too long in the leg.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It apparently is not unusual for women to have disproportionaly long legs compared to their overall body height, my inseam measurement is exactly 50% of my height, unlike men who tend to have longer bodies than limbs.

Hence the discrepancy in sizing, one of my crewmates is well over six feet in height and his trousers are at his ankles and I envy him.

Plus unlike with jeans length is associated with size based on my random research, so a large mens is 32 (as referenced by Steve) but a small is a 30 length

I'm considering trying out the gill trousers and making an "extension" to them that attaches easily and setting up an ebay shop to sell said extensions :D

Really looking forward to this weekend, a bit of wind is forecast, as opposed to the last few weeks of calm!

Happiness :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this weekend, a bit of wind is forecast, as opposed to the last few weeks of calm!

Happiness :D

Lots of wind forecast - or not - these lads are normally right but it's been changing a lot over the last few days. At least the gusts are not >30kts anymore.. :D

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=242647&sty=m_spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Dinghy sailing is going to be interesting.

I looked at that not two hours ago and all the gusts were above 30kts for Sunday.
    I had mentally started pencilling in new Sunday morning plans.
    Darn it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wouldnt trust windguru, have found alot that the weather is the opposite of what they predict.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dublin bay tends to have its own micro-climate, hard to predict. I've found windguru to be reliable enough though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A bit wild in Skerries today :eek:

1451564_10152002661151195_426657032_n.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »

Hoky fruk! :eek:

Is stoops still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There was a video posted on FB earlier (I'll see if I can find it), and there were a few boats that I feared for.... particularly a yellow one, I hope their moorings were good and heavy :eek:

Are there still boats moored inside/beside the pier?

1451564_10152002661151195_426657032_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Picked up a set of the aldi thermals, tkmaxx have some icebreaker stuff in also

Fergal that is some photo

Ah crap, forgot about the Aldi thermals!

Have to hope there's some left in my failsafe branch, where nothing ever seems to sell :D

Loads in ashbourne if you are stuck its no trouble fir me to pick you up a set

Loads in ashbourne if you are stuck its no trouble fir me to pick you up a set

Aww, you're very good!

I'm not actually in dire need of them - could probably do with the money for my holidays more! - so if they don't have them in my local one it'll be no loss really.

but thanks a mill for the offer!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Steve wrote: »
    Hoky fruk! :eek:

Is stoops still there?

Stoops is fine and toped up with fresh seafood chowder :D

/breaths... :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There was a video posted on FB earlier (I'll see if I can find it), and there were a few boats that I feared for.... particularly a yellow one, I hope their moorings were good and heavy :eek:

Are there still boats moored inside/beside the pier?

The yellow one is still there, This is from Skerries FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151763562670770

Do they do a chowder without smoked fish?

The yellow one is still there, This is from Skerries FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151763562670770

That's the one! Mad-looking conditions.... wasn't it in Skerries that a Sigma 38 or similar (Raging Bull, maybe???) got washed off its mooring and half wrecked last year?

Yep that was a bad one alright :eek:

2012-04-26091324.jpg

2012-04-26084152.jpg

2012-04-26081323.jpg

2012-04-26081309.jpg

I used some of this one to build my boat :)

2012-04-26082116.jpg

2012-04-26082204.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

That's the one! Mad-looking conditions.... wasn't it in Skerries that a Sigma 38 or similar (Raging Bull, maybe???) got washed off its mooring and half wrecked last year?

Raging bull was a sigma 400. Was rebuilt and back doing the isora series apparently. Skerries is fairly exposed and open

neris wrote: »
    Raging bull was a sigma 400. Was rebuilt and back doing the isora series apparently. Skerries is fairly exposed and open

It certainly looked it in that video :eek:

I didn't do a whole lot of ISORAs this year, but don't think Raging Bull featured in any of them.... but yes, I'd heard she was repaired and back in action.

(ETA, I stand corrected, she competed in the first four races of the series)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Yep that was a bad one

2012-04-26082204.jpg

:(

A few more amazing photos of last week storm by Daniel Geesen https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.594209357295567.1073741830.181237915259382&type=1

OMG those aldi thermals made such a difference to me today, I was mostly on the rail/bow on whitesails, but I was warm.

Now wondering how fab icebreakers et al must be. Must now seek out a balaclava :)

Lost another pair of sunglasses today when they got caught in fenders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hope they were cheap ones.

If you are out tomorrow have a look at the string Steve uses - 15 years, has never failed me.

juke wrote: »
    Hope they were cheap ones.

If you are out tomorrow have a look at the string Steve uses - 15 years, has never failed me.

Yep aldi sportsglasses so no great loss at a fiver :) They were not polarised but they fit really well as I've a child face in terms of glasses, so I bought four pairs :D

I will be having a look at what Steve uses :) Any tips I can pick up I'd love.

em, I use a bit of string, nothing special.. :)

OMG those aldi thermals made such a difference to me today, I was mostly on the rail/bow on whitesails, but I was warm.

Now wondering how fab icebreakers et al must be. Must now seek out a balaclava :)

I told ya merino was the way to go :D (as predicted, piles of them left in my local-ish Aldi, so my spare set is now tucked away for future use - couldn't possibly be seen in that awful lavender colour, so men's ones it was, again :mad:)

What were your sunglasses doing anywhere near fenders :confused:

Cannot believe I'm up to to racing having crawled into bed at 2am.... this truly is a form of madness.... still, can't resist the last one of the year (for me)!

• Advertisement

I told ya merino was the way to go :D (as predicted, piles of them left in my local-ish Aldi, so my spare set is now tucked away for future use - couldn't possibly be seen in that awful lavender colour, so men's ones it was, again :mad:)

What were your sunglasses doing anywhere near fenders :confused:

Cannot believe I'm up to to racing having crawled into bed at 2am.... this truly is a form of madness.... still, can't resist the last one of the year (for me)!

I bought the horrific lilac stuff, hidden under my many other layers and does the job :)

I think what happened was the sheet from the fenders went flying and entrapped my glasses, I am exceptionally good at getting in the way of sheets :)

I'm not sure I'm supposed to sail, I arrived up Sunday convinced I was still drunk/asleep, sitting frontmost on the rail soon sorted that out :D

Advertisement