Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options
134689106

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars


    Ah the default pink pallate is rolled out for ladies active wear. Not a red or grey or navy (or anything that would go with my sailing gear) in sight.

    *sigh*

    I just realized how utterly female such a complaint is!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg


    I am lucky to have natural insulation, so have not needed base layers, my mid layer has been enough so far this winter, outer layers have not been used as we have only had rain on one day of sailing this year during the summer. We seem to be having a mild season, I don't recall the weather this time last year, late autumn early winter, but have a feeling it was colder.

    I have the opposite problem with leg length, usually my sailing gear is too long in the leg.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    It apparently is not unusual for women to have disproportionaly long legs compared to their overall body height, my inseam measurement is exactly 50% of my height, unlike men who tend to have longer bodies than limbs.

    Hence the discrepancy in sizing, one of my crewmates is well over six feet in height and his trousers are at his ankles and I envy him.

    Plus unlike with jeans length is associated with size based on my random research, so a large mens is 32 (as referenced by Steve) but a small is a 30 length

    I'm considering trying out the gill trousers and making an "extension" to them that attaches easily and setting up an ebay shop to sell said extensions :D

    Really looking forward to this weekend, a bit of wind is forecast, as opposed to the last few weeks of calm!

    Happiness :D


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve


    Stheno wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this weekend, a bit of wind is forecast, as opposed to the last few weeks of calm!

    Happiness :D

    Lots of wind forecast - or not - these lads are normally right but it's been changing a lot over the last few days. At least the gusts are not >30kts anymore.. :D

    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=242647&sty=m_spot


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker


    Dinghy sailing is going to be interesting.

    I looked at that not two hours ago and all the gusts were above 30kts for Sunday.
    I had mentally started pencilling in new Sunday morning plans.
    Darn it!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris


    Wouldnt trust windguru, have found alot that the weather is the opposite of what they predict.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve


    Dublin bay tends to have its own micro-climate, hard to predict. I've found windguru to be reliable enough though.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    A bit wild in Skerries today :eek:


    1451564_10152002661151195_426657032_n.jpg


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve


    fergal.b wrote: »
    A bit wild in Skerries today :eek:

    Hoky fruk! :eek:

    Is stoops still there?


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi


    There was a video posted on FB earlier (I'll see if I can find it), and there were a few boats that I feared for.... particularly a yellow one, I hope their moorings were good and heavy :eek:

    Are there still boats moored inside/beside the pier?

    fergal.b wrote: »
    A bit wild in Skerries today :eek:


    1451564_10152002661151195_426657032_n.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    Picked up a set of the aldi thermals, tkmaxx have some icebreaker stuff in also

    Fergal that is some photo


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi


    Ah crap, forgot about the Aldi thermals!

    Have to hope there's some left in my failsafe branch, where nothing ever seems to sell :D


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    Loads in ashbourne if you are stuck its no trouble fir me to pick you up a set


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi


    Stheno wrote: »
    Loads in ashbourne if you are stuck its no trouble fir me to pick you up a set

    Aww, you're very good!

    I'm not actually in dire need of them - could probably do with the money for my holidays more! - so if they don't have them in my local one it'll be no loss really.

    but thanks a mill for the offer!


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    Steve wrote: »
    Hoky fruk! :eek:

    Is stoops still there?

    Stoops is fine and toped up with fresh seafood chowder :D




    .


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve


    fergal.b wrote: »
    Stoops is fine and toped up with fresh seafood chowder :D




    .

    /breaths... :D


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There was a video posted on FB earlier (I'll see if I can find it), and there were a few boats that I feared for.... particularly a yellow one, I hope their moorings were good and heavy :eek:

    Are there still boats moored inside/beside the pier?

    The yellow one is still there, This is from Skerries FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151763562670770






    .


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    fergal.b wrote: »
    Stoops is fine and toped up with fresh seafood chowder :D




    .

    Do they do a chowder without smoked fish?


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi


    fergal.b wrote: »
    The yellow one is still there, This is from Skerries FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151763562670770






    .

    That's the one! Mad-looking conditions.... wasn't it in Skerries that a Sigma 38 or similar (Raging Bull, maybe???) got washed off its mooring and half wrecked last year?


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    Yep that was a bad one alright :eek:

    2012-04-26091324.jpg

    2012-04-26084152.jpg

    2012-04-26081323.jpg



    2012-04-26081309.jpg

    I used some of this one to build my boat :)

    2012-04-26082116.jpg


    2012-04-26082204.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris


    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's the one! Mad-looking conditions.... wasn't it in Skerries that a Sigma 38 or similar (Raging Bull, maybe???) got washed off its mooring and half wrecked last year?

    Raging bull was a sigma 400. Was rebuilt and back doing the isora series apparently. Skerries is fairly exposed and open


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi


    neris wrote: »
    Raging bull was a sigma 400. Was rebuilt and back doing the isora series apparently. Skerries is fairly exposed and open

    It certainly looked it in that video :eek:

    I didn't do a whole lot of ISORAs this year, but don't think Raging Bull featured in any of them.... but yes, I'd heard she was repaired and back in action.

    (ETA, I stand corrected, she competed in the first four races of the series)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars


    fergal.b wrote: »
    Yep that was a bad one


    2012-04-26082204.jpg

    :(


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    A few more amazing photos of last week storm by Daniel Geesen https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.594209357295567.1073741830.181237915259382&type=1


    .


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    OMG those aldi thermals made such a difference to me today, I was mostly on the rail/bow on whitesails, but I was warm.

    Now wondering how fab icebreakers et al must be. Must now seek out a balaclava :)

    Lost another pair of sunglasses today when they got caught in fenders :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke


    Stheno wrote: »
    Lost another pair of sunglasses today when they got caught in fenders :(

    Hope they were cheap ones.

    If you are out tomorrow have a look at the string Steve uses - 15 years, has never failed me.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    juke wrote: »
    Hope they were cheap ones.

    If you are out tomorrow have a look at the string Steve uses - 15 years, has never failed me.

    Yep aldi sportsglasses so no great loss at a fiver :) They were not polarised but they fit really well as I've a child face in terms of glasses, so I bought four pairs :D

    I will be having a look at what Steve uses :) Any tips I can pick up I'd love.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve


    em, I use a bit of string, nothing special.. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi


    Stheno wrote: »
    OMG those aldi thermals made such a difference to me today, I was mostly on the rail/bow on whitesails, but I was warm.

    Now wondering how fab icebreakers et al must be. Must now seek out a balaclava :)

    Lost another pair of sunglasses today when they got caught in fenders :(

    I told ya merino was the way to go :D (as predicted, piles of them left in my local-ish Aldi, so my spare set is now tucked away for future use - couldn't possibly be seen in that awful lavender colour, so men's ones it was, again :mad:)

    What were your sunglasses doing anywhere near fenders :confused:

    Cannot believe I'm up to to racing having crawled into bed at 2am.... this truly is a form of madness.... still, can't resist the last one of the year (for me)!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I told ya merino was the way to go :D (as predicted, piles of them left in my local-ish Aldi, so my spare set is now tucked away for future use - couldn't possibly be seen in that awful lavender colour, so men's ones it was, again :mad:)

    What were your sunglasses doing anywhere near fenders :confused:

    Cannot believe I'm up to to racing having crawled into bed at 2am.... this truly is a form of madness.... still, can't resist the last one of the year (for me)!

    I bought the horrific lilac stuff, hidden under my many other layers and does the job :)

    I think what happened was the sheet from the fenders went flying and entrapped my glasses, I am exceptionally good at getting in the way of sheets :)

    I'm not sure I'm supposed to sail, I arrived up Sunday convinced I was still drunk/asleep, sitting frontmost on the rail soon sorted that out :D


Advertisement