Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I used to eat them when I was vegetarian, they were nice enough but all the other brands of rasher are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

All I remember is Walt Jnr saying they taste like bandaids and I'd kinda have to agree :o I'd sooner fry up some seitan from the jar or that braised tofu you get in holland & barrett. Or slice up this Frys sausage from nourish and fry it.

ohh I actually saw a thing in the asian supermarket on drury st when I was home, it looked like a block of bacon, it even had the kinda fatty streaks. It didnt really appeal to me, I stuck with the satay skewers, but might be worth checking out. They had a ton of vegan meat stuff there in the nearest chest freezers as you come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

--LOS-- wrote: »
    All I remember is Walt Jnr saying they taste like bandaids and I'd kinda have to agree :o I'd sooner fry up some seitan from the jar or that braised tofu you get in holland & barrett. Or slice up this Frys sausage from nourish and fry it.

ohh I actually saw a thing in the asian supermarket on drury st when I was home, it looked like a block of bacon, it even had the kinda fatty streaks. It didnt really appeal to me, I stuck with the satay skewers, but might be worth checking out. They had a ton of vegan meat stuff there in the nearest chest freezers as you come in.

I went into that Asian supermarket for the first time in ages the other day and seen this too, it looked awesome. I'll have to try it at some point. although I do like the quorn bacon, i don;t think it has much of a taste i add it to things more for a crispy texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I cook the quorn sausages on Sunday mornings for a fry up with eggs ( I'm lacto/Ovo); they're ok. I don't live in Dublin, so I imagine that the selection of vegetarian foods are not available here. I read that seitan is not great ( appears it's from gluten and possibly allergenic)- although I have no knowledge other than what I read about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seitan is fantastic, 80% protein and so tasty.

I personally think few of the people that think they are gluten intolerant are, most are self diagnosed and don't check if they have coeliac disease. Saw a test on forbes recently, most of the people that thought they had gluten intolerance didn't. :pac:
    More likely it's people stopping eating tons of bread and that kind of gluten-containing product (FODMAPS) that makes them feel better. They start eating better in general.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Got a couple of the Moo free eggs in Dunnes yesterday. So handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Seitan is fantastic, 80% protein and so tasty.

I personally think few of the people that think they are gluten intolerant are, most are self diagnosed and don't check if they have coeliac disease. Saw a test on forbes recently, most of the people that thought they had gluten intolerance didn't. :pac:
    More likely it's people stopping eating tons of bread and that kind of gluten-containing product (FODMAPS) that makes them feel better. They start eating better in general.

There's also the fact if you cut something completely out of your diet for too long you can make yourself intolerant to it. I don't like eating too much gluten but that's mainly because I do think it affects my Crohn's and also I just feel like bread and stuff is kind of nutritionally useless so I don't bother buying it often (well that and if I did buy it I could easily eat six slices of toast in a go - love me some toast :P ). Not tried seitan. From what I know FODMAP is much more than cutting out gluten - a friend of mine was put on it for her IBS and wasn't allowed onion or garlic or soy and had to cut out/limit loads of different fruits and vegetables (I remember her saying she could have a max of 125ml of fruit juice a day). She's also wheat and dairy intolerant so she gave up in the end - said it was just too difficult. Trying to find somewhere for us both to eat out was quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

:eek:1619085_10152047249973386_1102427755_n.jpg?oh=2df479dfb68b28ea1eb00a8ec0714149&oe=557FFFAA&__gda__=1433495413_77c8114506cd8be49f594ffd299eb9ae

How I feel when people make over the top "I love eating animal posts" because they're so alpha male.

disappointment.gif

• Advertisement

lUnYNFK.jpg

Hi everyone, Misa needs some good luck today, she's at the veterinary hospital for some tests, here she is yesterday rolling about....

XSGmvug.jpg

Sadly we lost Spidey, her sister, last Thursday :( She had a congenital heart defect and she passed away very suddenly with no symptoms. She was just curled up in her favourite spot, the top hammock of the tree, when tar found her. I had only just seen her over 2 weeks beforehand and she was great and she gave me lots of cuddles as she always did. She had gotten a clean bill of health from the vet recently enough so it was really a shock. Misa is not the same now, I'm with her for a few days so she has some company, she really looked after spidey, sometimes she checks the hammock but she will not go in it. That day when tar got home from work, she walked him in and ran up the tree and sat beside Spidey :( It's hard to imagine what she went through, she was the one there when it happened, she's a smart kitty and she will most definitely be grieving. I'm just really hoping it is good news for her later, there's a chance she has the same condition. Hate to have to put her through the ordeal of vet visits but she was incredible in there this morning, she was so calm, she even had a kiss for the vet. That was until he said she'd have to stay in there all day, she was not happy that she wasnt going back into her own carrier, bit of a switch of mood then :/

DZZ8imr.jpg

aww :( so sorry to hear. I hope everything is ok with Misa

She does have something going on with her heart too but it's not so bad, just something that will have to be watched and she will be on meds now for life. She's full of energy today anyway and she's being so affectionate. She was only supposed to be sedated to have some scans, nothing invasive, but they said they had to anaesthetize her because she wouldn't let them near her. I find that a bit mad that she would have to go under to have an ultrasound. ahhh it's so hard with animals, the simplest things can be so stressful when they don't understand what's happening.

I'm gona try this 3 ingredient mousse today.....http://www.lookbookcookbook.com/2012/12/chocolate-mousse.html ^_^

Misa was much happier after being home from the vet with LOS, makes her appreciate things :D
    The above mousse was amazing and looked so simple, I merely did the tasting part. Definitely should try it guys.
    We ate at sova this weekend, he had a st patricks special thing on, 4 courses for 20e. Amazing! Bring your own drinks too.
    It was on at the yoga hub at camden place this time.

First course was seaweed chowder with blanched samphire. It's been a long time that i ate something "fishy" tasting but thoroughly enjoyed, veg was soft but crunchy, which is how they should be.

10390913_1546338308966443_6370887555545150965_n.jpg?oh=7ba83402ef3c9dba9b5e1c3e54bc4596&oe=55834526&__gda__=1433905123_7fc23ec7825087659b77d319c6a05ffe

Next up was courgette and pepper "boxty" with lime and chive and lime cream cheese. Ah this was beautiful, I wish to have it again now drool, pomegranate is one of my favourite foods, just pour it onto everything please. Fennel and almond slices were nice in salad.

11053058_1546347112298896_4156534531573220976_n.jpg?oh=53ac8110c6a5024125355cd1887c82ca&oe=55B60ABD&__gda__=1437760237_93346971cb0104fdf28e524c3ed17863

The main dish was Irish tempeh stew with "bacon" colcannon mash (smoked tofu cubes and walnuts) with braised red cabbage and raisins.

10848024_1546991412234466_99760079699252025_n.jpg?oh=b7cab5a5b89362d7210773cdf9d74030&oe=557B5CD9&__gda__=1433633886_6c491bf0a69eeac06b76b372a72d7e35

Desert was almond flummery with rasberry couli and some sort of homemade honeycomb thing.

1526463_1546991308901143_182924095648568092_n.jpg?oh=bc83304644050e8037b77fdd439719b0&oe=55B7DAD4&__gda__=1433922571_707986d425d996b79bb4c8e649bdb0c5

That for 20 euro was stealing, the thievery adding to my self-satisfaction. :p
    Pretty nice place to have a meal too, considering it is generally a yoga club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just booked a trip to the Loving Hut vegan hotel in Austria! Its not till September but I'm already excited :)

That place looks class and the menu is amazing, you are going to love it.

My new goto guide when people ask me questions heh:
    http://www.vegansidekick.com/guide

I recently started following them on twitter, they post some hilarious pics.

vegan-sidekick-comic-5.jpg

e9af1e07bd92f04500ab014fabe2c3f8.jpg

10384745_10152836011398915_1031660648458151998_n.jpg?oh=725abee6bbc9d6bc0bfa70ee8f2df076&oe=55AB38D7

• Advertisement

qRjDsMs.jpg?1

:p

Went to a petting farm last weekend, it was lambing season, last year went too, got to bottle feed lambs, calves, baby goats. AHHHHH pretty sure I burst into confetti at the sight of baby cows.

I used to hang out around cows when I was young thinking about what happened to them, it was really what made me want to stop killing them.

Cow above is just attempted sucking, very cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Has anyone been to VegFest in London? We plan on going this year but just wondering what its like? The prices of the food etc.

Ye I'm pretty sure my sister was at the last one, sounded really good, she got a nice bag there and sent me marshmallows anyway. And we had gone to the vegan street day in Dortmund which was kinda lame and she did say vegfest was a way different. Not sure about prices and stuff, I'd have to ask her about it again. But I'd say London alone would be reason enough to go, I've never been but they have awesome vegan stuff from what I hear from her, it would be a cool place to check anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Has anyone been to VegFest in London? We plan on going this year but just wondering what its like? The prices of the food etc.

Just the way the GBP/Euro rate is going at the moment London prices for anything would make your eyes water - we went to Edinburgh last month and really felt the cost of everything - and Edinburgh ain't London. Damn these European bankers anyways!

I heard it was pretty good, thinking of going myself this year too for a day anyway maybe. I'm sure the food prices are absolutely horrendous but like don't mind sticking it out for a day and I love bobbing around London for whatever reason so long as it's not raining.

Was chatting to her there again, she said it was excellent, the bag she got was £30 and she paid around £7 for a meal, she didn't find the prices crazy so I dunno, suppose like any city. I'd like to go sometime, its on late in the year I think?

• Advertisement

The Brighton VegFest is on this weekend,I really want to go to one of these and eat everything.

Advertisement