Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ha ^ Do you ever say anything? I always find this so awkward.

Did you all get trolled hard over Christmas? :D I wasn't home for any of that this year, oh the peace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I got a gift receipt so it'll be going back asap.

I got the usual "would you not have a bit of Turkey and ham? " to which i replied "and have a heart attack and end up on disability like you? No thanks "

Awkward silence for the rest of the day.

It was a relative that i don't particularly like and won't get any inheritance from btw :D

Subtle :pac:

my mother gave me this weird card that just says on the front.....

"In a last minute bid for a vegetarian Christmas, mum hid the turkey!"

I don't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Hey all o/
    I just wanted to pop in here and say Happy 2015 :)
    I've been vegetarian all my life, but decided to give Veganuary a go so shall be Vegan for January. And take it from there.
    So far, milkless tea - not bad!
    Thought I'd say hello since I'll be lurking and nosing into recipes and ideas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Good for you! I'm sure you won't struggle at all, its easy once you start :)

On tea, I find soya and hemp milks the best. Nut and rice milks tend to separate a little when I use them in tea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hey Zwillinge, welcome aboard! Stick around, put your feet up. Try different nut milks and rice milk and coconut milk with other things, they are quite nice. I'm told soy is best for tea and coffee though yep. I like to put almond or hazelnut in my coffee, makes it taste fancy.

Happy new year y'all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Coconut milk for my coffee if its not black yum yum, also there are a few places popping up around town that will make coffees like cappuccinos/lattes etc with various milk alternatives, Sasha house petite (http://shpetite.ie/) near the hairy lemon, does either almond/coconut milk. A coconut milk cappuccino is pretty damn tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

So just found out Alpro are owned by a huge dairy company. So angry right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not for a year and a half now, used to be for a few years.

• Advertisement

Thats irony?

Not for a year and a half now, used to be for a few years.

Oh really? A colleague told me it was and googled it and found some articles on it but didn't think to look at the date. Yay! There's other brands of almond milk but never saw anyone else doing affordable hazelnut milk.

Edit: There current parent company is still involved in dairy production. :( Organic dairy so not as bad but still, think I will stick to almond breeze from now.

Was at the veggie butcher again on Friday, Tofu skewers were delish.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Was at the veggie butcher again on Friday, Tofu skewers were delish.

do you need to book or can you walk in?

I'd book, its always busy.

For the second time in several months I have managed to turn my hair bright orange. :eek: :cool:

I actually kind of like it but I wish I hadn't done it the day before my staff review. A hat it is then.

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Hey all o/
    I just wanted to pop in here and say Happy 2015 :)
    I've been vegetarian all my life, but decided to give Veganuary a go so shall be Vegan for January. And take it from there.
    So far, milkless tea - not bad!
    Thought I'd say hello since I'll be lurking and nosing into recipes and ideas :)

Hello!

....she says ages later, I've just been sorta curbing my internet use lately!

Were you raised vegetarian? How's it going with veganuary, have you been using their site, I had a quick look about, seems pretty helpful, nice recipes and stuff on there. I'm not fussy at all with coffee because I like black coffee so any milk in that is good for me, but I've been having coconut in coffee a lot lately after zombienosh said it, it's yummy. I make hot drinks a lot in a pan, heat up whatever milk you want, then throw in a shot of coffee/few squares of dark choc/chai teabag and then take it off before it boils and whisk it. Soy milk froths up the best though, almond and coconut dont really. With tea I am fussy, really has to be the non fresh soy milk, the others are too thin for tea imo, and I find the milks in the fridge always have a weird taste, a stronger taste anyway. I also only buy the unsweetened ones, the sweetened ones just have a weird taste to me.

Oat milk is so delicious as well, I get "oatly" in the supermarket in the NL for about €1.75, I saw it here though and it was a lot dearer :/ The chocolate oatly heated up is the nicest hot choc, I would drink glasses of the plain one on its own, its a really nice hearty taste.

I'm in Ireland for a few days, I am just eating all around me haha, I had the vegan mexican salad in staple foods one day, that was yummy but I wish there wasn't just a little decoration of black beans and sweetcorn around it, I would need a whole can of beans with that, it was filling and there was loads of guacamole, just the baked falafel salad had not only falafel but also tons of hoummous. They made me a very nice cappuciano that was a mix of soy and coconut so that it would still froth well. I had govindas yesterday, that place has improved a lot (abbey st anyway), there was only one thing there that wasn't vegan and even the tomatoey paneer dish had tofu now instead of paneer which was awesome, a small plate that they will heap up for 5.75, you can't really beat that. I'll probably try sova tomorrow. Is there any other place I should eat? happyfood at the yoga hub looks nice, anyone ever eat there?

I also got a present of the vegan stoner cookbook, the book is so nice, with all the illustrations and really nicely laid out, different stuff than they have on the site too, there's a bunch of handy stuff at the back like measurement conversion charts, a list of how to's, list of vegan substitutions. A few pics to show you.......

https://imgur.com/a/xDJIr

It's nice right!

I also have a moodley manor box here to eat my way through, I'll probably be bringing that stuff back with me though, I can only eat so much :D

Ooooh I wasn't aware of the vegan stoner cookbook. Must pick me up a copy when I have some more money. I got Keep It Vegan the other day in a liquidation sale for £4. Looks pretty decent.

Veggie butcher has gone full vegan i see, menu looks great tonight, just dunno if I have the time.

• Advertisement

I really need to get to this Sova place :(

Can organise a boards thing there if there is interest. I meant to ages ago but got distracted.

We would definitely go for a meet up.

There's literally a weekly thread on vegan/veggie bashing in AH, and it's never started by a veggie.

Yeah I've given up commenting on them now.

I just found out Kat Von D is vegan :)

Zombienosh wrote: »
    There's literally a weekly thread on vegan/veggie bashing in AH, and it's never started by a veggie.

I'd love to get involved in that (lie) but quite frankly, I have better things to do with my time, such as drink beer (truth).

this one mostly ended up bashing the OP for being retarded about veganism, which was nice. Drinking sounds better though.

Drinking sounds better though.

Stop forcing your beliefs on me wah wah wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have started watching a lot of videos by ajahn brahm, a Buddhist monk from England.
    Each talk is about an hour long but they are very good and I think, helpful. https://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p

I stumbled across (searched for) one on speciesism if anybody is interested in it form an animal rights aspect, it has a nice story about a cat.
    There is a talk he had with an Irish prisoner who was a slaughterer of animals in prison, who came to him, and teh story of how he became vegetarian from it.
    http://www.diydharma.org/buddhist-attitude-animal-cruelty-ajahn-brahmavamso

• Advertisement

3 course vegan meal with a glass of wine and tea/coffee for 25e, only this wednesday at cibo creative kitchen in dublin city

603704_805074482896962_8120337030438856081_n.jpg?oh=bac7062ecd56ebadd7283f3d0c0c8704&oe=552991D3&__gda__=1433002006_27dac56a99c9467328acbb76b8cdebec

I think I need to start finding dining partners for such occasions :D

Advertisement