Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

patmac wrote: »
    Apparently she has ‘Cried everyday since she came home to Ireland’ Maybe if she came home to Ireland instead of Belfast she might not be such a miserable Bollix.
    Jaysus the Irish Times has gone to fcuk altogether.
    Eh? Belfast is in Ireland. She probably would've a problem in any part of Ireland if she enjoys big cities like New York.

I read that article yesterday and I was fuming ! Couldn’t believe it was in the Irish Times. Talk about immature snowflake .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Being a recently returned emigrant there is a lot to give out about. There is also a lot that makes Ireland such a special place. It balances out.

That article burned my eyes.

That’s it exactly, no place is perfect. She should start a go fund me page to pay for her US masters 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This is a semi regular column in the Irish Times. Returning immigrants giving the low down on how life is now they have returned. Or they might have someone abroad writing about how different things are.

Its generally just fluff. And nothing substantial.

This one is very odd. She appears to have very little in the way of self awareness. But to be far to her, why isnt Belfast just like New York. Belfast needs to do better. Its definitely Belfasts fault, and not hers.

I am curious about what type of visa she availed of. She points out she lived in the US for over six years meaning that she would be eligible to apply for citizenship.

I am also very curious as to what she worked at while in the US. A cursiory google show she was a contestant on The Voice Ireland and very little else.

She should of moved to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Imagine how devestated she will be at the backlash from that drivel article?
    Everyone is being so mean!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I like Ireland :o The meats better and I like the cuisine. The weather's great and, as strange as this sounds, I get very nervous in foreign skies. The only other similar skyline seems to be in Japan tbh.

But, I am happy to keep it as a fond memory (holiday desitination) and not a bitter present.

One of the funniest articles I've read, a tearful ode to narcissism gone awry. The Irish Times is emulating the Indo, whoring out its credibility for cheap clickbait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

riemann wrote: »
    Eh what?

Face like a slapped arse, with a personality to match.
    A slapped arse would have a bit of colour.
    She's like one of the creepy twins from the Shining.
    Check out the big men slagging off her appearance.

I started reading the article with an open mind. I didn’t know if I’d side with the OP or not. Well, I’m siding with the OP. What a whiny, arrogant, lacking-in-self-awareness eejit that writer is. If she can’t find interesting people in Ireland, I feel sorry for her.

It can be tough returning to Ireland but when I came back, there were lots of thing I missed about where I returned from but there were so many things I was happy to return to. No country is perfect so you just need to adjust to the differences and move on.

Imo, the Irish are the most interesting people around. Reserved, yes, but very individualistic imo.

Walking around and checking out the houses could be a full time hobby in the west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention. Comes back to Ireland after being away and just horrified that we no longer meet their new found tastes and standards. They seem to be unable to grasp the notion that their decision to both leave and return was a personal choice they made. Yet somehow have decided everyone else in Ireland has to answer for this.

Ireland is not like New York...whodathunkit!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-have-cried-every-day-since-i-returned-to-ireland-1.4062785?mode=amp

She has a puss that would turn milk. Anyway she’s moved to the UK so dunno what that story is even about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Check out the big men slagging off her appearance.

Confirms to username.
    Stay woke, buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

blueshade wrote: »
    More likely story is that she wasn't pretty enough or talented enough to be successful so she came back. Her attitude isn't going to do her any favours.

Her looks are irrelevant and whether someone is attractive or not is a matter of opinion anyway. But based on that article alone, there doesn't appear to be an awful lot of writing talent there. One pretentious cliche after another.

Can a returning expat get free education in Ireland as a matter of interest to do a masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Some of these returning immigrants should have stayed gone. But the Irish times articles have gone below quality alright. Constantly putting out the same click baity crap that all the rest of them do, it's the way of journalism now, at least in the online versions. Get a reaction, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention. Comes back to Ireland after being away and just horrified that we no longer meet their new found tastes and standards. They seem to be unable to grasp the notion that their decision to both leave and return was a personal choice they made. Yet somehow have decided everyone else in Ireland has to answer for this.

Ireland is not like New York...whodathunkit!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-have-cried-every-day-since-i-returned-to-ireland-1.4062785?mode=amp

What an imbecile person she is. All that drama.:eek:

Not sure how she would have handled Bainbridge Avenue, North Bronx, circa 1989/90. Cold cold winters. Long commutes on the D Train under Harlem to a ****ty job somewhere in Manhatten. Only the Village Pub to get pissed and forget your woes on days off. A depressed Ireland often looked more appealing:D

How times have changed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Read this the other day. Yeah, it's an adjustment and some people feel like a fish out of water. You take stock of where you are and figure out what you want to do, where it's study, new skills or a different path. Gonna take time anyway and giving up on the first day as appears in this article is not the path to anything.

Ah ok, it looks like she was trying to make it as a musician in the US. I can see why that didn't work out.

She has a pleasant voice. But nothing remarkable.

hv=NGeMnwlLwJM

A bit mediocre really

I am guessing she was on a O-1B visa. Which is supposed to be reserved for individuals with extra ordinary ability in the arts. Its a little hard to see how she qualified given that performance and the quality of her writing. With that said, it seems that there is a lot of abuse with this visa. I believe its the same visa Meave Higgins has. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She could tip across to chat the lads over on the Shankill, they might be interesting enough for her.

Had to laugh aat the bit where she was whinging about having to wash the cutlery, right little spoiled princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

This time next year she'll be heading back there looking for work.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Ah ok, it looks like she was trying to make it as a musician in the US. I can see why that didn't work out.

Serious shortage of singers in the world at present.

Singers and outrage merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Confirms to username.
    Stay woke, buddy.
    You could write for the Irish Times yourself with wit like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You could write for the Irish Times yourself with wit like that.

Submit your woke column for them why don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Where did she grow up though? (I use the term grow up loosely)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She can't write for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Who is she related too?

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Who is she related too?

Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You do realise how difficult it is to get "proper" avocados in Dublin compared to Shoreditch in London or Tribeca in New York. And really Stoneybatter has nothing on Greenwich Village

What's up with her forehead?

Ah here, no need to be commenting on her appearance. Its not as if she had a say in it.

There are lots of things that she has control over that we can talk about. Ill judged narcissism and her cliched writing being just two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah here, no need to be commenting on her appearance. Its not as if she had a say in it.

There are lots of things that she has control over that we can talk about. Ill judged narcissism and her cliched writing being just two.

If the photo in the times is anything to go by her six years in new York didn't necessarily do her any favours, she looks gaunt, her days were too full she needs feeding so she doesn't resemble the after in a crystal meth before/after photo comparison

I reckon instead of taking a shot at winning the career lotto and accepting the risk that went with that she expected to win it and isnt quite sure what to do now

At least she's doing something ....spot of writing, further education, you go girl.....or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What's up with her forehead?

When you have to resort to critiquing someone’s physical appearance you weaken your own argument.

Advertisement