Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Forget it. You're missing the point completely, and unwilling to consider anything beyond your own experience.

There is actually scientific studies on how many friends you can have. Go look up Dunbar's Number and it will explain. The general accepted maximum friends for people is about 200.

To say you have 3000 friends is completely unrealistic and so is 10% of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

batman_oh wrote: »
    But he's an Academic and everybody there loves him. I would assume he meets 10 people for coffee 5 times a day at least! The bars are open until the next day too so no doubt there's a lot of midweek 24 hour drinking going on.
    Ireland is terrible because he'd never have 3000+ friends here

The thought of having 3000 dinner buddies brings me out in a cold sweat. If I even get ten replies to a tweet, I’m stressed out having to reply to them all. Or partaking of a busy Whatsapp group.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you wanted to see each of those 3000 friends once a year, you'd have to meet 8.2 of them a day.

Are you going out to dinner/coffee with over 8 people a day?

Even if somehow you are, could you really consider a person you only met once a year anything more than a casual acquaintance at best?

If you dropped a zero and said 300, that means you would have to hang out with a different person almost every day. And that's a tenth of your original number.
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is actually scientific studies on how many friends you can have. Go look up Dunbar's Number and it will explain. The general accepted maximum friends for people is about 200.

To say you have 3000 friends is completely unrealistic and so is 10% of it.

Y’all both explained it much more eloquently! Though what started out as “friend circle” became much more nebulous the more he was probed. Even still, a ridiculous figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Wow, She’s gorgeous!

Please, lets not be crass by bringing her looks into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Please, lets not be crass by bringing her looks into it.

Double jealous..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Double jealous..

Once you've made it on boards.ie the sky's the limit :)

Y’all both explained it much more eloquently! Though what started out as “friend circle” became much more nebulous the more he was probed. Even still, a ridiculous figure.

"Friends circle" is the name of the contacts list on the app most popular for communication in China, Wechat. Nothing nebulous about any of it, although you did seek to place greater emphasis on what kind of contacts they were. I simply said people I could meet for dinner or coffee. You decided to take that to mean good friends. I've tried repeatedly to clarify that they're people I know rather than the type of friendships you're indicating.

As for the rest, fine, whatever. You can believe it impossible to know so many people. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

"Friends circle" is the name of the contacts list on the app most popular for communication in China, Wechat. Nothing nebulous about any of it, although you did seek to place greater emphasis on what kind of contacts they were. I simply said people I could meet for dinner or coffee. You decided to take that to mean good friends. I've tried repeatedly to clarify that they're people I know rather than the type of friendships you're indicating.

As for the rest, fine, whatever. You can believe it impossible to know so many people. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

That’s actually quite a high bar. You’re saying that like it’s nothing. It’s something.

I’m harping on about this whole thing because it’s the daftest thing I’ve read in quite a while and that’s saying something.

That’s actually quite a high bar. You’re saying that like it’s nothing. It’s something.

Yes, it's something. It's a conversation over coffee or dinner. You're assigning greater importance to dinner or coffee than I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

When it comes to long-term happiness and fulfilment, it's the deeper friendships that matter anyway.

Honestly I live in a huge city and work in Sales, between work contacts, clients, acquaintances, former colleagues and then social connections, that's a pretty big network of people I could hypothetically call up for a coffee for any number of reasons.

In reality, I come back to the same handful of trusty old friends that I know well and could call on to help hide the body at a minute's notice. It's about 5 - 10 people in total. You don't need to be in any particular place to find those kinds of connections but honestly, my experience of living in some of the world's largest cities is that it can ultimately be hard to find those kind of deeper connections. You could have 3,000 "facebook friends" but ultimately feel low-key lonely most of the time.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's something. It's a conversation over coffee or dinner. You're assigning greater importance to dinner or coffee than I would.

Even if more casual, still ridiculous. I mean, completely and utterly. I’m amazed you won’t walk back from that crazy figure. It’s actually kind of fascinating me at this point.
    bitofabind wrote: »
    When it comes to long-term happiness and fulfilment, it's the deeper friendships that matter anyway.

Honestly I live in a huge city and work in Sales, between work contacts, clients, acquaintances, former colleagues and then social connections, that's a pretty big network of people I could hypothetically call up for a coffee for any number of reasons.

In reality, I come back to the same handful of trusty old friends that I know well and could call on to help hide the body at a minute's notice. It's about 5 - 10 people in total. You don't need to be in any particular place to find those kinds of connections but honestly, my experience of living in some of the world's largest cities is that it can ultimately be hard to find those kind of deeper connections. You could have 3,000 "facebook friends" but ultimately feel low-key lonely most of the time.

I know that London can be a crushingly lonely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I know that London can be a crushingly lonely place.

Yup, NY too. They're huge, transitional places where the overwhelm of crowds and chaos means people can be naturally closed off to making new, real connections. You'd be hard pressed to get eye contact from a Londoner on the street most days.

bitofabind wrote: »
    Yup, NY too. They're huge, transitional places where the overwhelm of crowds and chaos means people can be naturally closed off to making new, real connections. You'd be hard pressed to get eye contact from a Londoner on the street most days.

Both a cousin and a friend of mine said they felt themselves grow ruder by the day in their first year in London. Battling the tube at rush hour will do that to a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I wonder has Nollaig become aware of the backlash. I would be curious to know her view on the whole thing.

She reminds me of my 15 year old cousin. Sort of literate, pretentious and with no self awareness. It is very strange to think of someone twice my cousins age acting just like that.

Its weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is she aware that another Nollaig O'Connor who's from NI went missing for a year. People will confuse her with that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

PostWoke wrote: »
    As opposed to you, the hard man bullying a young teenager? :pac:

Feck off. Even my younger kids aren’t brainwashed as she is.
    And for any of you to believe her you are the fool. She’s been told what to say. She’s rehearsed her lines and when asked questions that she hasn’t studied for she blanks and mutters. So don’t fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I wonder has Nollaig become aware of the backlash. I would be curious to know her view on the whole thing.

She reminds me of my 15 year old cousin. Sort of literate, pretentious and with no self awareness. It is very strange to think of someone twice my cousins age acting just like that.

Its weird.

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Yawn

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Jesus, who brought Greta Thunberg into this? At least most of the hatred toward the girl is imprisoned in CA, where it can be avoided.

You're confusing hatred with contempt. She's not worth hating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
Advertisement