Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Space Dog wrote: »
    "In New York every single day was full, whether it was working out, taking some sort of class, meeting a friend, going to work or doing laundry – you were always moving and there was always something to do."

I thought she was going to talk about all the movie premieres, broadway shows, exclusive music gigs and festivals she went to... but laundry??? Meeting a friend???
    Must be no launderttes in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

You don't see the issue that the subject of the article moved back to Ireland for a cheap education but then chooses to run down the place she moves back but of course will happily accept the subsidised education she will gain so she can move back to the life she disires in NY. I feel no obligation to tolerate her whinging.

It’s much deeper than that my friend,and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

More a case of houses being big enough to fit a washing machine here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more.....begrudgery is alive and well and living in Ireland!
    Near a hundred thanks for op says it all!
    The near hundred thanks was because of what JG summed up below.
    What a totally vacuous, self entitled, self obsessed, and thoroughly unlikable individual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Couldn’t agree more.....begrudgery is alive and well and living in Ireland!
    Near a hundred thanks for op says it all!

I don't think people are actually begrudging her for anything. It's not the hardest thing in the world to get a work visa for the US. Or most other countries.

I do think the article reflects very poorly on her. It's vapid and for a self proclaimed writer with a master's in American literature cliche riden.

While I think a lot of people have been very harsh on her here. She hasn't helped herself.

You cannot complain about a Belfast not being New York. And try and blame that on the locals. It never will be. It's not that kind of city.

If you are looking for a city similar to New York. Obviously you move to London.

The tone of here article is awful. It's essential I lived in New York and I am more worldly then everyone else.
    Especially when you consider the amount of Irish people who have also gone to live there and moved home.

There is a lot to be critical of, but I'm not sure why people have chosen to focus on her appearance. She has really done nothing to deserve that and it's just mean spirited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I feel sorry for the poor girl.

She lost her memory: "....I arrived in New York alone and left New York alone, but also left behind a lot of memories..."

I'm amazed that she left her memories behind but is still able to write a piece on her time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It’s much deeper than that my friend,and you know it.

It's not, most people don't give a flying f**k about others and even less keen to tolerate whinging and woe is me bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

jim salter wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor girl.

She lost her memory: "....I arrived in New York alone and left New York alone, but also left behind a lot of memories..."

I'm amazed that she left her memories behind but is still able to write a piece on her time there.
    That third paragraph was superfluous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

In Nollaig's defence, I'd be crying everyday too if I had to live in Belfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    That third paragraph was superfluous.

You are superfluous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have noticed a lot of negitive feedback online about this story.
    If I was a wannabe writer, with one masters already, and a background in hospitality. I might be tempted to write a follow up about online bullying and trolling.

When looking at people having a go at her appearance and calling her a kunt and the like, you may have a point but I don't see how a single word in that article can be defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ye are awfully sensitive. What is with Irish people and criticism? Everyone whining on this thread probably spends half their day complaining about Ireland, but when someone who isn't Irish or is unworthy for some other reason complains, they go nuts. I read the article; I thought she sounded like a bit over the top, but its her experience, we aren't expected to agree with it or even read it.

When looking at people having a go at her appearance and calling her a kunt and the like, you may have a point but I don't see how a single word in that article can be defended.

I didn't say it could
    And there is more then enough to criticize in it. No need for name calling or calling her ugly or weird looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In New York every single day was full, whether it was working out, taking some sort of class, meeting a friend, going to work or doing laundry – you were always moving and there was always something to do.

sounds eventful

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In Nollaig's defence, I'd be crying everyday too if I had to live in Belfast...

have to say in ROI i've never noticed stuff closing at 6pm or sundays ....that's a UK thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Assuming the selfie in the article was taken in Belfast, I would appreciate one from her time in NY too. Really show us the difference in her demeanour. Maybe add another from Belfast with a pouting face and a thumbs down.

I really shouldnt be overthinking this clickbait sh*te from a wannabe blogger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lux23 wrote: »
    Ye are awfully sensitive. What is with Irish people and criticism? Everyone whining on this thread probably spends half their day complaining about Ireland, but when someone who isn't Irish or is unworthy for some other reason complains, they go nuts. I read the article; I thought she sounded like a bit over the top, but its her experience, we aren't expected to agree with it or even read it.

Thought the same myself.

I do see something interesting in returning home, and finding the adjustment back to your 'home life' being difficult.

Based on the comments of the thread I expected someone whinging that the state wasn't giving her a free house while paying for her education and how the 'system' is out of date and out to get her. But it wasn't anything like that.

Its a piece about a women who got used a way of life, and finding the slower paced nature of Ireland hard to get used to or adjust to. OH MY OH NO!

I guarantee that a bunch of the most vocal people giving out about her in this thread call people 'snowflake' a lot.

When there is a push by the government to bring people home, to fill jobs and societal needs, is there nothing to be thought about in how those people might see and react to Ireland having lived abroad in different cultures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Lux23 wrote: »
    Nail on the head there. Half of the lads in here are calling her a "snowflake" and all this, meanwhile they're frothing at the mouth at some nothing puff-piece in a newspaper they probably never read anyway. If this was published in The Sun, there would be blood on the streets.

I have noticed a lot of negitive feedback online about this story.
    If I was a wannabe writer, with one masters already, and a background in hospitality. I might be tempted to write a follow up about online bullying and trolling.

That would make two freelance colums in the IT.

BTW in case anyone is any doubt. The IT do not pay for Irish abroad or returned immigrant articles. I have a friend who wrote one a while back.

It is all about exposure.

Are you claiming Nollaig has a master's as nowhere in the article does it state she has. Although she has moved back to Ireland to obtain one.Her background in hospitality? You mean waiting tables other than in-house no formal training. Her own words.
    Her attitude stinks and the article does her an enormous disservice and displays contempt for the country of her birth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Anyway I'm sure Belfast does have plenty of scenes, everywhere does. Considering her view on Belfast being Ireland, maybe she should consider becoming a Republican, then she'll get to mix with plenty of interesting people if she does it right

I think if she'd been a bit more aware, she'd see she's just having the typical moving shock most people get when you go to a different place and everything doesn't run perfectly smoothly. You've left your comfort zone where you spent the last few years and now the grass is really greener back home.. even though it's clearly not since you didn't stay (she even says she left New York alone, was stuck in a rut etc). It's nothing to be ashamed of imo, unless you deal with it in such a vacuous self absorbed way and write about it in a national newspaper

Although objectively Ireland is a bit **** when it comes to public transport and the attitude of the people :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yeah read that the other day. You go live somewhere for many reasons. Did it myself a few times. There can be a bit of a transitional culture shock but like most normal people you don't expect the old home town to adapt to you.
    Tired of these arsehole opinion pieces. You left because you thought it was ****e, then you came back, you still think it's ****e, move away again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tired of these arsehole opinion pieces. You left because you thought it was ****e, then you came back, you still think it's ****e, move away again.
    This. I've a couple of mates that live overseas and only come back to Ireland to visit family and friends. They have some natural nostalgia about the place, but would be the first to admit they'd not live here full time again for a few different reasons, and crazy batsh1t notion that this is, they haven't. At the same time they don't whinge about the place, because being fully grown arsed adults with actual world experience they know full well that nowhere is ideal and everywhere has its own quirks and issues.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Are you claiming Nollaig has a master's as nowhere in the article does it state she has.

Yes, she has a master's in American lit and film. Or at least according to her blog she does.

If anyone fancies reading somemore of her inane pretentious navel gazing prose. You are in luck. You can read it here

https://americanwrites13.wordpress.com/

She has an equally navel gazing Twitter account. But I will let you find that one yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The old question of, 'why don't you **** off back there then', applies.

But the funniest part was when she included 'laundry' into her list of cool things to keep you busy in NY. We've got that over her as well, Christmas and even dishwashers too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Yes, she has a master's in American lit and film. Or at least according to her blog she does.

If anyone fancies reading somemore of her inane pretentious navel gazing prose. You are in luck. You can read it here

She has an equally navel gazing Twitter account. But I will let you find that one yourselves.

TLDR, however i am more intrigued by the one comment on the latest blog

Is the opposite of music, silence or noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

While the article does seem a bit 'poor me', having returned to Ireland after living in the states she is right about certain things.

Working in food service over here, for example, is an absolute nightmare. Employers treat you like dirt, even though they themselves couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery, and you're expected to do the jobs of 4 people. Host/hostess, server, bartender and busboy/girl. And people here don't friggin tip.

But one thing that isn't mentioned so much in the article that is actually proved by this thread, and which was the biggest shock to me upon moving back, is the attitude of the Irish people. It takes a while to cop on to it, but eventually it becomes obvious that the whole "the Irish are so friendly" stuff is due to complete fakery. Yes they are nice to your face, but often they are hateful, seething begrudgers inside. They take any opportunity to run people down and speak ill of them, as long as the person isn't there to hear it. When I first moved back I found out quickly that speaking honestly and openly to someone you have an issue with is frowned upon, and if it is someone in authority, such as a manager at work, it is looked at as 'backchat'. As if we are not adults but children in school. So every workplace is full of arse kissers/back stabbers as a result. The done thing is be sweet and false to a persons face and then eff and blind about them behind their back. A cowardly way to behave IMO.

And as she says, it is very insular, and a lot of the people who have never left their town will take against you just for having had lived abroad. Again, it's begrudgery.

Still, I don't feel bad for her, at least she got to move to Belfast when she came back. I had to move to fuppin Donegal.

Will ya shtop. I’ve read a few if those ‘returning emigrant’ articles in the Irish Times and some have been genuinely insightful. Pros and cons of both Ireland and wherever they returned from. This article isn’t it. It’s a whinge. This is somebody who seems to consider themselves a cut above everyone else. That’s never going to go down well.

Thanks for the link but considering the level of self importance in the article I will pass on the opportunity.
    Have to say very busy girl 29 years old 8 years waiting tables and a master's in American lit (if true) nice to see she put the masters to good use. Strikes me seeking to obtain a second maybe a waste of both her time and state resources.
    Edit.
    Had to take a look so an MA in American Lit and film from UCC.
    So subsidised by the Irish taxpayer she wants the UK taxpayer to subsidise her next masters. Tbh she comes across as somewhat self entitled gob****e who needs to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

have to say in ROI i've never noticed stuff closing at 6pm or sundays ....that's a UK thing

Not really, it's more of a Northern Ireland thing because Presbyterians and Baptists are like Amish sans the whimsy when it comes to partying. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Did I read that right that she was a waitress?

What's all that bollocks about meeting celebs and politicians etc?

Does she mean she waited for them? :/

Sounds like a complete tool. But she's free clicks for the times.

Strange breed some of those nordies, despite hailing from one of the bleakest regions in Europe, they've got one hell of a superior complex.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Did I read that right that she was a waitress?

What's all that bollocks about meeting celebs and politicians etc?

Does she mean she waited for them? :/

Sounds like a complete tool. But she's free clicks for the times.

Strange breed some of those nordies, despite hailing from one of the bleakest regions in Europe, they've got one hell of a superior complex.

She's not a Nordie, but she does want a cheap education in the north she already got one in Cork. I think she prefers America but just doesn't want the debt of an American education.

Advertisement