Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just read the article as I was curious.

Absolute drivel. Self entitlement wafts off every word.
    You did better than me .couldn't finish the drivel !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I read that article yesterday and I was fuming ! Couldn’t believe it was in the Irish Times. Talk about immature snowflake .

The Irish Times is little more than a tabloid masquerading as a regular newspaper these days. The quality of its reporting is at best crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The article is a candidate for the worlds most boring Okcupid profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nearly 30?
    Time to grow up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fast approaching 30?
    Is she ageing faster than the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Scarecrow Festival is on this week in Donovan's Leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

While the article does seem a bit 'poor me', having returned to Ireland after living in the states she is right about certain things.

Working in food service over here, for example, is an absolute nightmare. Employers treat you like dirt, even though they themselves couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery, and you're expected to do the jobs of 4 people. Host/hostess, server, bartender and busboy/girl. And people here don't friggin tip.

But one thing that isn't mentioned so much in the article that is actually proved by this thread, and which was the biggest shock to me upon moving back, is the attitude of the Irish people. It takes a while to cop on to it, but eventually it becomes obvious that the whole "the Irish are so friendly" stuff is due to complete fakery. Yes they are nice to your face, but often they are hateful, seething begrudgers inside. They take any opportunity to run people down and speak ill of them, as long as the person isn't there to hear it. When I first moved back I found out quickly that speaking honestly and openly to someone you have an issue with is frowned upon, and if it is someone in authority, such as a manager at work, it is looked at as 'backchat'. As if we are not adults but children in school. So every workplace is full of arse kissers/back stabbers as a result. The done thing is be sweet and false to a persons face and then eff and blind about them behind their back. A cowardly way to behave IMO.

And as she says, it is very insular, and a lot of the people who have never left their town will take against you just for having had lived abroad. Again, it's begrudgery.

Still, I don't feel bad for her, at least she got to move to Belfast when she came back. I had to move to fuppin Donegal.

...I had to move to fuppin Donegal.

Belfast, Donegal... what next in the list of forward-looking 21st century metropolises? Goleen? Borrisokane? Gneeveguilla?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Fair play to her,she had the balls to get up and go
    Lot of bitterness on here from people who were too afraid to let go of mommy’s apron strings
    Good on her..

"Good on her" for what exactly?

Leaving?

Returning?

Sponging a cheap postgrad degree subsidised by taxpayers?

Whining?

All of the above?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gozunda wrote: »
    The Irish Times is little more than a tabloid masquerading as a regular newspaper these days. The quality of its reporting is at best crap.
    Well that "article" is the in the Life and Style bit, a section aimed at a particular subculture of Irish women of a certain age, educated in a useless degree, minted in the previous generation "middle class" woman, waiting, but not admitting to waiting for some facebook presentable Doddy replacement or escape from Doddy bod from Blackrock who goes to watch rugger matches at the weekend to get them up the duff so they can write the children's book they always claim to be writing, but never will. They will at least be able to use that "interior design" course they did at night in their 20's and fill their house with instagrammable IKEA chic. Interests include spoilt white girl "feminism", blogging/journalling/"journalism", ethnic awareness so long as it's wearable, pretty, authentic and doesn't smell of too much authentic poverty, gap decades in New York, "mindfulness", food "allergies", healing crystals and so forth.

I use the term "woman" very loosely of course. They're usually 30 somethings trapped in the amber of adolescence, pissed off that what Mommy and Doddy promised for their little princess didn't quite come to pass when they went out into the world. This causes some deep soul confusion for them, but since they know their sh1t doesn't stink, what they smell is always somebody or something else's fault.

If you view such "articles" through this ChickThink prism they become much much clearer. They're also clickbait and chickbait in about equal measure, speaking to their equally addled peers and those who feel happier with steam coming out their ears on the self absorbed daftness of it all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

171170 wrote: »
    "Good on her" for what exactly?

Leaving?

Returning?

Sponging a cheap postgrad degree subsidised by taxpayers?

Whining?

All of the above?

I've seen this mentioned before, but how did she get a free degree as a returning expat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What's with the Alice in Wonderland cosplay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

While the article does seem a bit 'poor me', having returned to Ireland after living in the states she is right about certain things.

Working in food service over here, for example, is an absolute nightmare. Employers treat you like dirt, even though they themselves couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery, and you're expected to do the jobs of 4 people. Host/hostess, server, bartender and busboy/girl. And people here don't friggin tip.

But one thing that isn't mentioned so much in the article that is actually proved by this thread, and which was the biggest shock to me upon moving back, is the attitude of the Irish people. It takes a while to cop on to it, but eventually it becomes obvious that the whole "the Irish are so friendly" stuff is due to complete fakery. Yes they are nice to your face, but often they are hateful, seething begrudgers inside. They take any opportunity to run people down and speak ill of them, as long as the person isn't there to hear it. When I first moved back I found out quickly that speaking honestly and openly to someone you have an issue with is frowned upon, and if it is someone in authority, such as a manager at work, it is looked at as 'backchat'. As if we are not adults but children in school. So every workplace is full of arse kissers/back stabbers as a result. The done thing is be sweet and false to a persons face and then eff and blind about them behind their back. A cowardly way to behave IMO.

And as she says, it is very insular, and a lot of the people who have never left their town will take against you just for having had lived abroad. Again, it's begrudgery.

Still, I don't feel bad for her, at least she got to move to Belfast when she came back. I had to move to fuppin Donegal.

I hate tipping, but, imo, what you said about the food staff is spot on. I worked a little bit in a coffeeshop and it was so strange to be viewed not 'negatively', per se, but not positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"I think about my situation, about my place in society, and have no idea where I am supposed to slot in. In New York, you can be anything you want to be, part of any crowd, even the non-crowd. But here in Ireland I feel I need a definition "

How about needy attention-seeking **** pheasant?

" "All over America, people proclaimed “I am an immigrant.” And that’s what I was there...

But what am I here?"

A needy attention-seeking **** pheasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

patmac wrote: »
    Apparently she has ‘Cried everyday since she came home to Ireland’ Maybe if she came home to Ireland instead of Belfast she might not be such a miserable Bollix.
    Jaysus the Irish Times has gone to fcuk altogether.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't know why I bothered when I spotted the publication.
    A wasted few minutes.

How that publication has fallen from it's once lofty heights.

There is better journalism in the tabloids that it, and a fair chunk of it's readers, still look down their noses at.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I've seen this mentioned before, but how did she get a free degree as a returning expat?

I wrote "cheap" not "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

I really regret the day I stopped buying newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

nthclare wrote: »
    Just because she's mildly pretty they decide to give her a platform

She wouldn't get a date on a calendar would ya stop

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This one is very odd. She appears to have very little in the way of self awareness. But to be far to her, why isnt Belfast just like New York. Belfast needs to do better. Its definitely Belfasts fault, and not hers.

Better in what sense? I love New York, it's an amazing place to visit but it's not the most liveable city. Depends what your priorities in life are. If I was still in my early 20s, I'd totally live there. Now, I want somewhere with more space, access to outdoors, decent healthcare etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Omackeral wrote: »
    "I think about my situation, about my place in society, and have no idea where I am supposed to slot in. In New York, you can be anything you want to be, part of any crowd, even the non-crowd. But here in Ireland I feel I need a definition "
    How about needy attention-seeking **** pheasant?
    "All over America, people proclaimed “I am an immigrant.” And that’s what I was there...

But what am I here?"

I was thinking you meant 'peasant' as in a poor person of the agricultural labouring classes - but I checked that and I see you are referring to a
    **** pheasant

A olde British insult, for a useless and lame person

Thanks for that. You learn something new every day .... ;)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****%20pheasant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

**** me thats some dross but not surprising when you consider its the Snowflake Times

Omackeral wrote: »
    "

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I would suspect the term met Diplomats,Artists etc etc is very loose in her mind. I 'met' Johhny Cash once well I carried his bags . I was a porter in a prestigious hotel. Likewise the subject of the article was a waitress.

I would suspect the term met Diplomats,Artists etc etc is very loose in her mind. I 'met' Johhny Cash once well I carried his bags . I was a porter in a prestigious hotel. Likewise the subject of the article was a waitress.

Yeah. I clocked Bono with the door of the Oliver St. John Gogarty in Temple Bar back in 1996. I don't go around announcing that I "met" the little fucker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

What a totally vacuous, self entitled, self obsessed, and thoroughly unlikable individual. Typical snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Couldn’t agree more.....begrudgery is alive and well and living in Ireland!
    Near a hundred thanks for op says it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I have noticed a lot of negitive feedback online about this story.
    If I was a wannabe writer, with one masters already, and a background in hospitality. I might be tempted to write a follow up about online bullying and trolling.

That would make two freelance colums in the IT.

BTW in case anyone is any doubt. The IT do not pay for Irish abroad or returned immigrant articles. I have a friend who wrote one a while back.

It is all about exposure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I have noticed a lot of negitive feedback online about this story.
    If I was a wannabe writer, with one masters already, and a background in hospitality. I might be tempted to write a follow up about online bullying and trolling.

That would make two freelance colums in the IT.

BTW in case anyone is any doubt. The IT do not pay for Irish abroad or returned immigrant articles. I have a friend who wrote one a while back.

It is all about exposure.

The only thing she "exposed" is that she is a kunt of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more.....begrudgery is alive and well and living in Ireland!
    Near a hundred thanks for op says it all!

You don't see the issue that the subject of the article moved back to Ireland for a cheap education but then chooses to run down the place she moves back to ,but of course will happily accept the subsidised education she will gain so she can move back to the life she disires in NY. I feel no obligation to tolerate her whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

"In New York every single day was full, whether it was working out, taking some sort of class, meeting a friend, going to work or doing laundry – you were always moving and there was always something to do."

I thought she was going to talk about all the movie premieres, broadway shows, exclusive music gigs and festivals she went to... but laundry??? Meeting a friend???

Advertisement