Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

NSAman wrote: »
    She sounds like a complete pain the ARAS! Not all of us are whinging emigrants. I live in the US and if someone like her came into work for me, she wouldn't last long.

Talk about self absorbed!!!!

She wants to do a masters? In what area? Whining?

Jesus wept, she isn't the most intelligent person, Dublin of Belfast are NOT New York, nor never will be. She is everything that is wrong with some Irish people coming to the States and then going home, entitled much?

I wonder is she even developed an American Accent after two days?

“Came in to work for me”.......and your not self absorbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    “Came in to work for me”.......and your not self absorbed?

Nope..;)

Nope..;)

I’d say you are fierce important altogether.....

I’d say you are fierce important altogether.....
    Oh come on now Tarquin, batin' doesn't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I wonder is she even developed an American Accent after two days?

Lets be honest, she's had an American accent since she was 8.

• Advertisement

Oh come on now Tarquin, batin' doesn't suit you.

Ah,I’m only jokin,.........fair play to you for doing so well in the USA
    Careful when you come home though the mob will be out to get you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There is no mob but come back looking down your nose at your surroundings does you no favours and wins no friends. Her reason for coming back to Ireland was for a cheap master's i suspect once she gets it she will be gone again and will offer nothing in return to the state that provided such largesse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Why didn't she move back to the Republic, is she Protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Space Dog wrote: »
    "In New York every single day was full, whether it was working out, taking some sort of class, meeting a friend, going to work or doing laundry – you were always moving and there was always something to do."

I thought she was going to talk about all the movie premieres, broadway shows, exclusive music gigs and festivals she went to... but laundry??? Meeting a friend???

I know right?
    I mean, why doesn't she just offer to do peoples laundry if she longs for fuller days?

Cannot abide those who act like they are billionaires no matter where they end up. I am just me and no different (apart from a few things) than when I left home.

I come home a few times a year and still do the same things, still have the same friends since I was a kid, still live in the same house, ain't nothing changed about me..... I don't have notions about any part of Ireland that should be the same as the USA, I am SOOO glad it isn't.

• Advertisement

Cannot abide those who act like they are billionaires no matter where they end up. I am just me and no different (apart from a few things) than when I left home.

I come home a few times a year and still do the same things, still have the same friends since I was a kid, still live in the same house, ain't nothing changed about me..... I don't have notions about any part of Ireland that should be the same as the USA, I am SOOO glad it isn't.

Ah but you’re happy to take their wads of cash while the rest of us here struggle to put turf on our fire.....home a few times a year you say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Ah but you’re happy to take their wads of cash while the rest of us here struggle to put turf on our fire.....home a few times a year you say....

Any more mention of turf burning from you and a delegation from Extinction Rebellion will be arriving on your doorstep shortly for a serious chat.

One has to earn one's keep, doesn't one?

Yes, it's called flying, taking a plane.... not that difficult to do, purchase a ticket bring a passport and head back home.

One thing about above... I do not deal in cash, one uses bank transfers and credit cards as one's preferred method of payment... cash causes too many security issues.

Nothing like the smell of turf on the fire too. My sainted mother is able to afford such luxury due her sons and daughters being abroad and sending the little offerings home so that she has all the comforts she needs.

God did she earned them all dealing with us lot and bringing us up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

In New York every single day was full, whether it was working out, taking some sort of class, meeting a friend, going to work or doing laundry – you were always moving and there was always something to do.

You can't work out, take a class, meet a friend, go to work or do laundry outside of Manhattan. Everybody knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You can't work out, take a class, meet a friend, go to work or do laundry outside of Manhattan. Everybody knows that.

I did think it was bizarre that she picked those activities as things she missed. I can even do those things in Donegal. Though I do my laundry at home.

I'm touched by the number of evidently new arrivals to Ireland in this thread who are under the hilarious impression that standards in the Irish media have declined with this article by a nobody. When did you people arrive off the plane?

The Dublin media: rightwing agenda-pushing reactionary West Brits & alcoholics doing the bidding of oligarchs and conservatives in power since, well, forever. It can't get worse, and it hasn't been able to get worse since at least when Independent Newspapers journalists were cheering on the police as they hammered the workers of Dublin off the streets in 1913 on behalf of their boss, William Murder Murphy. Check out The Irish Times coverage of the Easter Rising in 1916 for another taste of the mentality in question. Decline from that?

The demise of the compromised shills who constitute the journalism mob in Ireland in 2019 will be a very, very good day for democracy, openness, accountability and transparency in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That would be Alison O’Riordan. She bought her Dublin Docklands apartment in 2008, when everyone knew the housing market collapse was well underway. Then spent two years writing a piece in the Indo about how her dreams of living the uber-hip and trendy city slicker life turned into a negative equity nightmare.

We don’t hear from Alison much these days.

That was the most enjoyable thread I’ve ever seen on boards!!!

I'd say you're great craic at parties.

That's genuinely interesting to know that it's not possible to be "great craic" at parties unless one is going for the low-hanging fruit of making fun of somebody's looks.

Next original thought from the same mentality: 'You can't be "great craic" unless you're completely drunk'...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

The Dublin media: rightwing agenda-pushing

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes, she has a master's in American lit and film. Or at least according to her blog she does.

If anyone fancies reading somemore of her inane pretentious navel gazing prose. You are in luck. You can read it here

https://americanwrites13.wordpress.com/

She has an equally navel gazing Twitter account. But I will let you find that one yourselves.

Thanks for that, have just added it to the DNS blocker lest some eejit tries to find their way to it. :D
    I'm touched by the number of evidently new arrivals to Ireland in this thread who are under the hilarious impression that standards in the Irish media have declined with this article by a nobody. When did you people arrive off the plane?

The Dublin media: rightwing agenda-pushing reactionary West Brits & alcoholics doing the bidding of oligarchs and conservatives in power since, well, forever. It can't get worse, and it hasn't been able to get worse since at least when Independent Newspapers journalists were cheering on the police as they hammered the workers of Dublin off the streets in 1913 on behalf of their boss, William Murder Murphy. Check out The Irish Times coverage of the Easter Rising in 1916 for another taste of the mentality in question. Decline from that?

The demise of the compromised shills who constitute the journalism mob in Ireland in 2019 will be a very, very good day for democracy, openness, accountability and transparency in Ireland.

Ahh FFS fuaranch.
    It's rich you asking where others have been and you are the one dragging up that other rag the Independent and then to show it's right wing credentials resort to their coverage of the 1913 lockout. :rolleyes:

Dublin media is not right wing, it is pretty left wing with a fair few self absorbed gobshytes pedaling crap about their "celebrity" friends, and connected ones acting as mouthpieces for their masters (criminal reporters come to mind here especially).

BTW if yer one wants excitement in Belfast she should dress in a Rangers jersey and head down the Falls Rd and if she survives that she can don a Celtic jersey and head down the Shankill.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I went on a date a few years ago with this girl who had moved home from Dubai or one of those places and she was nice enough and not bad looking and afterwards I discovered she had written a few articles about moving back home after being years in Dubai in the Indo, moaning about how tough her life was here or something. I wasn't arsed afterwards but she sounds like an older version of the one this thread is based on... wonder how Dubai girl is doing now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention. Comes back to Ireland after being away and just horrified that we no longer meet their new found tastes and standards. They seem to be unable to grasp the notion that their decision to both leave and return was a personal choice they made. Yet somehow have decided everyone else in Ireland has to answer for this.

Ireland is not like New York...whodathunkit!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-have-cried-every-day-since-i-returned-to-ireland-1.4062785?mode=amp

Homelessness crisis.

Housing crisis.

Immigration crisis.

****ty politicians.

Apathetic people.

Stop being jelly that they had the stones to do something with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's genuinely interesting to know that it's not possible to be "great craic" at parties unless one is going for the low-hanging fruit of making fun of somebody's looks.

Next original thought from the same mentality: 'You can't be "great craic" unless you're completely drunk'...

So much anger, take a lie down. Don't let the West Brits get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

PostWoke wrote: »
    Homelessness crisis.

Housing crisis.

Immigration crisis.

****ty politicians.

Apathetic people.

I am always amused at how the assumptions (like yours) that the OP is angry at a person who "did something with their lives". Yes she went to New York. So what. I'm sure the OP did too. I did. Posted about it earlier in the thread. But this young one has brought it to a new level with her New World is better bollox, but I'm back for an education thats cheaper and it's so not New York here.

Utter crap from her and as others have said, she'll be running back after her completed education at the tax payers expense. This girl has no stones at all. None whatsoever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Homelessness crisis.

Housing crisis.

Immigration crisis.

****ty politicians.

Apathetic people.
    Whatever about apathy, New York has its fair share of a homeless crisis(60% higher than it was a decade ago) and a housing crisis and the oul multicultural melting pot has had a long history of melting and the majority of the folks on the street and on the breadline ain't pale of face. Sh1tty politicians are universal and US ones tend to have more power and much more money behind them. Everywhere can be nice or sh1tty depending on one's attitude.
    Oh yeah, I'm well "jelly" of a few years waiting tables for tips, while spending my free time washing my smalls in a public area... The excitement.

Though I have found down the years that New York can have a quasi Jerusalem effect on some. That is the very city itself can cause some to have an extremely rose tinted view of the place and it can even overwhelm some. Like the song goes "if I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you;
    New York, New York". It has that vibe in the US and even more so from outside. To those affected yep, even doing your laundry or meeting a friend etc seems somehow bigger. Other cities like Paris, Rome, London can have a similar effect. I mean grabbing a coffee in Rome has more of a cache than grabbing one in Cork, if that's your thing.

So on the one hand I don't take issue with her feeling that. However I would expect that from an 18 or 20 year old, not a 30 year old.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Oh yeah, I'm well "jelly" of a few years waiting tables for tips, while spending my free time washing my smalls in a public area... The excitement.

No point in arguing with someone so hopelessly narrow minded I'm afraid, you're talking about one of, if not the greatest, cities on earth. Just because you sit at home doesn't mean all humans do. I was there last year and it is an incredible experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No point in arguing with someone so hopelessly narrow minded I'm afraid, you're talking about one of, if not the greatest, cities on earth. Just because you sit at home doesn't mean all humans do. I was there last year and it is an incredible experience.
    Well good for you. I've been in new York a few times. My father lived there for a time, as did a couple of rellies. It's certainly gotten better over the last few decades. It was a right sh1thole for a time. Greatest city on earth? According to the NY tourist board and Hollywood maybe. It's a great city that's for sure, but how one enjoys it or not does depend on one's own preferences. I'd generally be more old world myself, though I liked the bits of New York I was in, though I wouldn't like to live there(maybe upstate but close enough that I could nip in for the nice bits). It's been compared to ancient Rome by some and in one sense I'd agree, in that both were great cities viewed from a remove, if you were visiting, rich and/or young. Otherwise... Meh. Of America I'd personally prefer the heartland parts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Ah. Look, I love NYC, it's probably my favourite city on earth and I would love to relocate there permanently. I travel there relatively frequently for work and have spent a cumulative total of about 3 months there this year so far between work trips and leisure.

So I love it, but christ almighty it is a hard place to be sometimes too. The subway at rush hour would give you nightmares, the endless queues for everything (and IDK why she refers in the article to being frustrated at queues in Ireland not moving fast enough because I feel that all the time in New York), the fact that everything takes so long, the chronic and highly visible homeless problem...

Unless you're super wealthy and can outsource everything*, the day to day minutiae of life in New York is so much more effort than in Ireland.

*Manhattan is increasingly becoming a gated community for the wealthy, and the challenges of being there make a lot of sense when viewed through that lens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That would be Alison O’Riordan. She bought her Dublin Docklands apartment in 2008, when everyone knew the housing market collapse was well underway. Then spent two years writing a piece in the Indo about how her dreams of living the uber-hip and trendy city slicker life turned into a negative equity nightmare.

We don’t hear from Alison much these days.

There used to be a photoshop competition on Boards back during the time she bought the apartment. Posters suggested photos and whichever photo had the most "thanks" then that was used for that weeks competition. One week a grimly atmospheric photo of a forlorn looking Alison standing at a balcony of her gaff was the selected photo. One genius entry was a slow "zoom" in on a car which happened to be parked in the distance of the photo where the last plane showed the Picard "face palm" meme.

Succinctly summed up the correct attitude to such attention seekers.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well good for you. I've been in new York a few times. My father lived there for a time, as did a couple of rellies. It's certainly gotten better over the last few decades. It was a right sh1thole for a time. Greatest city on earth? According to the NY tourist board and Hollywood maybe. It's a great city that's for sure, but how one enjoys it or not does depend on one's own preferences. I'd generally be more old world myself, though I liked the bits of New York I was in, though I wouldn't like to live there(maybe upstate but close enough that I could nip in for the nice bits). It's been compared to ancient Rome by some and in one sense I'd agree, in that both were great cities viewed from a remove, if you were visiting, rich and/or young. Otherwise... Meh. Of America I'd personally prefer the heartland parts.

"I sit at home alone so it's hardly going to be a good experience for me is it."

And yes, I have no experience of it prior to 9/11, but I felt far safer in NYC than any day spent around Dublin City Centre.

Advertisement