Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options
  • 29-10-2019 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention. Comes back to Ireland after being away and just horrified that we no longer meet their new found tastes and standards. They seem to be unable to grasp the notion that their decision to both leave and return was a personal choice they made. Yet somehow have decided everyone else in Ireland has to answer for this.

Ireland is not like New York...whodathunkit!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-have-cried-every-day-since-i-returned-to-ireland-1.4062785?mode=amp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Belfast isn’t New York? Someone should have warned her before she moved back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention. Comes back to Ireland after being away and just horrified that we no longer meet their new found tastes and standards. They seem to be unable to grasp the notion that their decision to both leave and return was a personal choice they made. Yet somehow have decided everyone else has to answer for this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-have-cried-every-day-since-i-returned-to-ireland-1.4062785?mode=amp

Im just glad that none of these hurdles are so high as to dissuade her from coming home to have the state pay for her further education, poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

What a g€€bag

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

What do you expect when you call a child Nollaig? Notions from the offset!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Jasus I thought she was holding down some high flying role in New York the way she was talking and she can't even cut it waiting tables. She's some dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Im just glad that none of these hurdles are so high as to dissuade her from coming home to have the state pay for her further education, poor thing.

I didn't see any mention of the state paying her education.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Just because she's mildly pretty they decide to give her a platform.

It's either the journalist is taking the piss, or else it's just ****ty standards on what to write about.

Hopefully she'll be rubbing shoulders with the z list elites of Ireland soon, get a front cover of Vogue and free designer clothes, after all she's a classy burd lol

Give my head peace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm pi$$ed off I've given that tripe a 'hit' by clicking the link. Do society a favour OP and delete this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Apparently she has ‘Cried everyday since she came home to Ireland’ Maybe if she came home to Ireland instead of Belfast she might not be such a miserable Bollix.
    Jaysus the Irish Times has gone to fcuk altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

The provision of education in the Republic as in the UK is greatly subsisded by the governments of both countries. Even at a postgraduate level the cost is considerably less, so whereas you might pay e7,000 for an MA in Ireland in the US it can be anything from e30,000 to e120,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is this what counts as journalism these days, self absorbed, navel gazing tripe.

No one cares about your life, Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

“all-round interesting human beings”. Guess Ireland has none of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention. Comes back to Ireland after being away and just horrified that we no longer meet their new found tastes and standards. They seem to be unable to grasp the notion that their decision to both leave and return was a personal choice they made. Yet somehow have decided everyone else in Ireland has to answer for this.

Ireland is not like New York...whodathunkit!

Apart from that gob****e (and make no mistake, she is a gob****e) alot of people had to leave this country to try better themselves.

The recession ain't that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

“all-round interesting human beings”. Guess Ireland has none of those?

Guess they can only be found in the States! Poor Nollaig.. What's a girl to do?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Apart from that gob****e (and make no mistake, she is a gob****e) alot of people had to leave this country to try better themselves.

The recession ain't that long ago.

Yes and I was one of them. Ten years in New York. Unlike her I came home not expecting the A and F subway train at the end of the road in Finglas. I also didn't howl in convulsions because Collins Ave wasn't Fifth Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

patmac wrote: »
    Apparently she has ‘Cried everyday since she came home to Ireland’ Maybe if she came home to Ireland instead of Belfast she might not be such a miserable Bollix.
    Jaysus the Irish Times has gone to fcuk altogether.

Don’t think the average Irish Times reader would be all that concerned about her, she came back to go to college in Queens in Belfast.

A snowflake called Nollaig, makes sense.

I started reading the article with an open mind. I didn’t know if I’d side with the OP or not. Well, I’m siding with the OP. What a whiny, arrogant, lacking-in-self-awareness eejit that writer is. If she can’t find interesting people in Ireland, I feel sorry for her.

It can be tough returning to Ireland but when I came back, there were lots of thing I missed about where I returned from but there were so many things I was happy to return to. No country is perfect so you just need to adjust to the differences and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am absolutely sick of these people getting media attention.

So why the fuck are you giving that badly written shite even more attention?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Wait until June comes back, and April behind her, not forgetting Fiacra, he's a right knob.

Don't mention Oisin either, he's coming home because he broke up with Fin, supposedly Fin ran off with Rodriguez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Self entitlement much?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

nthclare wrote: »
    Just because she's mildly pretty they decide to give her a platform.

Eh what?

Face like a slapped arse, with a personality to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I stopped reading after getting to the part where she was expected to do her job and be entrusted to do it on her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Being a recently returned emigrant there is a lot to give out about. There is also a lot that makes Ireland such a special place. It balances out.

That article burned my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

As an emigrant, who is friends with a lot of emigrants, I'm going to lump her in with whingy milennials rather than whingy returning emigrants. Don't think I've ever met anyone with a more self centred view of life than she seemingly has.

And also, New York is an overrated sh!th0le full of pretentious @ssh@ts who think their smelly, expensive and rude city is great. I'm not surprised she has this attitude having lived there for so long

She mentioned the education costs in the US being too high to consider doing her Masters there. We can read between the lines that she is paying a lot less over here to further her education. It might not be free but it’s probably a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

"I’m ashamed of sounding culturally insensitive about my own country..."

If I was ashamed of sounding a certain way, I'd avoid sounding that way in a national newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

riemann wrote: »
    Eh what?

Face like a slapped arse, with a personality to match.

A slapped arse would have a bit of colour.
    She's like one of the creepy twins from the Shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

She can always rent out billboard space on her forehead, gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

LOL, tenner says she wrote this to get the outrage bus fired up. She will be the new Una Mullaly in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

If her life in New York was as wonderful as she claims it was then she wouldn't have returned to Ireland, simple as. Was it a slow news day when someone decided her whiny nonsense was worthy of column space? More likely story is that she wasn't pretty enough or talented enough to be successful so she came back. Her attitude isn't going to do her any favours.

Advertisement