Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s a real shame how the IT, our alleged “paper of record” has gone so so downhill in the past 15 or so years. I suppose pretty much all print media has gone this way. This “piece” is lazy clickbait, pure and simple.

That young woman is an interminable whinging, entitled and self-absorbed spoiled brat who is seriously deluded if she expects Belfast to be exactly like New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

It's an awful pain in the face when your accent gets you no attention once you're home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This isn't even a story.

I'm sure there are loads of people disappointed that they returned, but we heard nothing about them.

Unknown individual is disappointed.

Who the feck cares.

I refuse to read the piece, but why can she not just head back to her beloved New York?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

NIMAN wrote: »
    This isn't even a story.

I'm sure there are loads of people disappointed that they returned, but we heard nothing about them.

Unknown individual is disappointed.

Who the feck cares.

I refuse to read the piece, but why can she not just head back to her beloved New York?

She wants to get a degree and knew the yanks would (rightly) make her pay for it.

Uuurrggghhh.. Katherine Thomas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Who was the one who bought a flat in the boom then whined about her mortgage and the devaluation of the place in the Indo a few times?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What an absolute tool, as many have said, the notions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I met celebrities, diplomats, poets, artists, wealthy publishers, all-round interesting human beings, and worked in areas including journalism, music, fashion and publishing. “A mixed bag” I suppose you could say.

Er no. You moved in an absolutely fabulous,
    very remote echelon of punchable types and now you're a spoilt brat.
    I started to consider returning to university to pursue a masters. This was not an option for me in the US because, well, I liked having money and not being in debt.

Don't we all my dear. If you want a top draw Masters you'll have to dig deep.

To be fair she does have some insight regarding her attitude in the current predicament but she rather set herself up for a pasting with the opening paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What an absolute tool, as many have said, the notions....

I had a long post in mind but this is basically it . A tool with notions about wow I went to NY. So did thousands of others !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Mya Brief Burger

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It’s a real shame how the IT, our alleged “paper of record” has gone so so downhill in the past 15 or so years. I suppose pretty much all print media has gone this way. This “piece” is lazy clickbait, pure and simple.

That young woman is an interminable whinging, entitled and self-absorbed spoiled brat who is seriously deluded if she expects Belfast to be exactly like New York.

Probably angling for a permanent slot as she'll fit in with Mullally, Kitty one and others in the Times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

“But what am I here?”
    A kunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Check out the big men slagging off her appearance.

Ugh, ‘‘twas only a matter of time till you showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

“But what am I here?”
    A kunt?

Kunter is a German surname.

German is a rough old language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

patmac wrote: »
    Jaysus the Irish Times has gone to fcuk altogether.

Who is still buying that yoke or clicking on the website?
    It died years ago FFS. All the coroner found was an inverted anus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭larchielads

She'll be on the Late Late with Tubs next and he'll be all about her

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

milehip wrote: »
    What do you expect when you call a child Nollaig? Notions from the offset!

Your second child to be born at Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

From New York back to this backward banana republic , with less than the population of New York living on it , possibly half the population!

Leave and you will know not to look back the next time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

"I’m ashamed of sounding culturally insensitive about my own country..."

If I was ashamed of sounding a certain way, I'd avoid sounding that way in a national newspaper.
    She couldn't hack her waitressing job so needs the money. Maybe she fancies herself as Carrie Bradshaw.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Who was the one who bought a flat in the boom then whined about her mortgage and the devaluation of the place in the Indo a few times?

That would be Alison O’Riordan. She bought her Dublin Docklands apartment in 2008, when everyone knew the housing market collapse was well underway. Then spent two years writing a piece in the Indo about how her dreams of living the uber-hip and trendy city slicker life turned into a negative equity nightmare.

We don’t hear from Alison much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

That would be Alison O’Riordan. She bought her Dublin Docklands apartment in 2008, when everyone knew the housing market collapse was well underway. Then spent two years writing a piece in the Indo about how her dreams of living the uber-hip and trendy city slicker life turned into a negative equity nightmare.

You have to wonder what type of a mortgage she got. Wouldn't get within an asses roar of it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah ok, it looks like she was trying to make it as a musician in the US. I can see why that didn't work out.

She has a pleasant voice. But nothing remarkable.

hv=NGeMnwlLwJM

A bit mediocre really

I am guessing she was on a O-1B visa. Which is supposed to be reserved for individuals with extra ordinary ability in the arts. Its a little hard to see how she qualified given that performance and the quality of her writing. With that said, it seems that there is a lot of abuse with this visa. I believe its the same visa Meave Higgins has. Make of that what you will.

Lollers at a former Voice Of Ireland contestant trying to claim credibility. Bleedin’ muppeh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Idbatterim wrote: »
    From New York back to this backward banana republic , with less than the population of New York living on it , possibly half the population!

Leave and you will know not to look back the next time !

From Buttevant, population 900, to New York and then on to the UK to study. Crying because she waited tables in bars in NYC and didn’t have the skills to work in a proper restaurant in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just read the article as I was curious.

Absolute drivel. Self entitlement wafts off every word.

She'll be on the Late Late with Tubs next and he'll be all about her

Can just imagine the inane stupid questions he will have for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Fair play to her,she had the balls to get up and go
    Lot of bitterness on here from people who were too afraid to let go of mommy’s apron strings
    Good on her..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I can envisage this muppett came home with some stupid put on New York accent also

nthclare wrote: »
    Just because she's mildly pretty they decide to give her a platform.

Shes an awful looking yoke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Fair play to her,she had the balls to get up and go
    Lot of bitterness on here from people who were too afraid to let go of mommy’s apron strings
    Good on her..
    ...and then came running back whinging...you missed that bit

I can envisage this muppett came home with some stupid put on New York accent also

“Eh Yo - where’s my pastrami sub?! In Noo Yawk service is much faster!!”

Overheard in a random Belfast cafe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She is still gainfully employed if this is her
    https://ie.linkedin.com/in/alison-o-riordan-416b6533

Advertisement