Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options
  • 15-11-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

It is scarcely believable, but it really is happening... The many highs and few lows of DCM 2015, the sweat, the tears, the excitement, the stories of determination, grit, pain, and heroism... all is slowly, slowly, but ever so surely fading into the background.

Store and cherish your favorite memories, we are novices no longer, we are graduates! There will be other races and other heroics. As such, the 2015 DCM novices thread has ran its course. Proudly bookmarked by us all, it's time to let it slide into obscurity and move on.

Hopefully, we can keep that fantastic team-spirit alive for a while, nurtured by Dubgal72 and her team, as we all pursue our next running goals. Fancy that 5k PB? Keen to have another go at DCM in 2016? Looking for a date with the Hell of the West? Can't get enough, and thinking about ultra-distances?

Post your plans, dreams, and progress here, I am sure I am not the only one who would love to hear from you and your progress! I have been reliably informed that an experienced runner and coach will take over Dubgal's responsibilities for a while, and will answer questions, comment on training plans and goals, etc... I am not at liberty to disclose the identity of this mystery coach yet, but on behalf of all grads, thanks in advance for your assistance!

Anyone who wants to contribute and benefit from the thread, can you spend a few minutes to outline:
    a) What are your main running goals for the next 3 to 12 months?
    b) In what way do you see this thread helping out?

Scattered along the Novices thread are the answers to the 'Clearlier' post-mortem questions that some of us filled out already. I will summarize these in this thread for reference.

Link to Graduates Plan:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_n0GctxVLdcW54Y2Vpa2V3TUU/view

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done N! That's a great intro :) I'll be following this thread with HUGE interest and am really looking forward to seeing how you all develop as runners over the next 12 months. You have a fantastic block of training behind you and 'now is the time' ;) to capitalise on this. You are in great hands with your new mentor, if I didn't have my current set up, this person would be my first port of call.

There will be something in the New Year for you to take part in and the training you do here will allow you to do so with style ;) Mysterious, eh?! I will be rounding you all up and frogmarching you to the *thing* so watch out :D It will involve some nakedness but you won't have to go outside, you could even 'do it' on the table......

Best of everything to you, Graduates of 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Looking forward to getting going & hitting some
    Pb,s on shorter stuff over winter, hope most of
    Us keep going & don't leave it all at DCM finish
    Line, best of Luck every one with all out goals for
    Next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

1 ) what are you're main running goals for next 3 to 12 months.... 5km time to 25.xx before the year end and maybe under 25 in 2016 PB is currently 26.12 but it has to be at St Anne's park run or it doesn't count !!! under 2 hours at HM distance next year PB is currently 2.07, races planned for 2016 already Raheny 5 mile ( pb is 44.01), ballycotton 10 mile (pb is 1.34.41) would love to get pbs in both and after that would hope to do the race series again not yet decided about DCM. Immediate goals to get back running feeling fit again still struggling after DCM but taking it easy as instructed.

2) what I would hope to get out of the thread would be some advice or plan as to how to meet the above goals and to see how everyone else doing and progressing since our amazing achievements in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Woohoo, I've been really looking forward to this thread!

Thanks for kicking it off :)

Right now I'd like to recover from the marathon! I picked up some sort of niggle/strain somewhere around the back of my left thigh during the marathon and continued to run on it until last week as it slowly got worse (naturally I was NOT running at recovery paces :rolleyes:), so ended up taking a 6 day break this week. It appears to have gone away for now, so I did a run this evening :)

I think I'll focus on shorter distances (following a 5k plan) between now and spring, then consider doing next year's DCM.

Race wise, I'll be doing Jingle Bells 5k (sure, who around here isn't :pac:), the Christmas Cracker 5k in Santry on the 27th December, possibly the Trim AC 10 mile in early Feb. (a good excuse to pop up to my sister and a well setup race, did it last year - though maybe the Raheny 5 mile would be more appropriate), the MSB St. Patrick's Festival 5k and maybe some of the ALSAA track races (looks like I'll be missing this week's one).

I'd like to learn how to do "real" training session runs (intervals, hill sprints etc. - I guess they come with doing 5k training plan). I'm not too pushed on gym work for now, though I guess I might end up in there when the weather's woeful.

I also heard that Santa got me a Garmin for Xmas (replacing the Nike+ app on my phone), so I'll be tracking my heart rate etc. soon enough and see how that'll influence my training. I might even join Strava and feel like a real runner :)

Between now and the end of the year I'd like to break sub-20 for 5k (should be very do-able), no idea what targets for next year might look like.

Sure I'd miss you lot if I weren't on it :D

As we all found out, communally tracking progress is fun. I figure we'll be going through similar enough things and learning similar lessons, even without the focus of a single event.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    It will involve some nakedness but you won't have to go outside, you could even 'do it' on the table......

:eek::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Bye bye DCM 2015 Novices thread, thanks for getting this up and running!

Goal A to get rid of knee niggle I picked up in the last month of training for DCM 2015. That's going okay so far and following a plan from my physio to build up strength in my gluts and working on some cues for better running form, aiming to try get a little bit more pep into my step and a bit more hurry up as well on the shorter distances.

I have permission to run 3 times a week at the moment but not on consecutive days. Nothing too long or nothing too slow. For now through the winter I am thinking an easy run on Monday/Tuesday morning or at lunchtime 3-4m, another easyish 3-4m run with some clubmates on a Thursday evening or another morning run. Then a longer run on a Saturday, today was a 4m run with a mile of fartlek in it which I enjoyed so might try do those once a week to work on my pace a bit.
    Outside of that it's the strength work that I need to work on!
    Race wise, few parkruns/fun runs between now and the end of year. First official race Raheny 5 mile with the 10 mile Valentine's Run in Tralee as well.
    Not really thinking about pbs too much for the moment as they will come again when all is well.

After that if all is well back up to half marathons and then maybe another crack at the big one again, DCM 2016.

Keeping up with my fellow DCM 2015 graduates to see how everyone is getting on, delighted to see we have a dedicated thread to keep up appearances with everyone continuing to share experiences and gain advice through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well done N! That's a great intro :) I'll be following this thread with HUGE interest and am really looking forward to seeing how you all develop as runners over the next 12 months. You have a fantastic block of training behind you and 'now is the time' ;) to capitalise on this. You are in great hands with your new mentor, if I didn't have my current set up, this person would be my first port of call.

There will be something in the New Year for you to take part in and the training you do here will allow you to do so with style ;) Mysterious, eh?! I will be rounding you all up and frogmarching you to the *thing* so watch out :D It will involve some nakedness but you won't have to go outside, you could even 'do it' on the table......

Best of everything to you, Graduates of 2015!

Intriguing....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm going to start this training plan for the next 8 weeks while I decide which route I'm going to take. I've done no 5k races in a while, and I'll like to concentrate on some shorter distances for a few weeks.

Come the new year, I'm not 100% sure. I am either going to start training for 4:30 or lower in the Limerick Marathon, but I'm also thinking should I just focus on some of the half marathons which require a lot less recovery? Looking at the calendar, I can do the following

April - Connemarathon
    May - Killarney Lakes, Burren Half, Limerick maybe
    June - Cork City, Portumna ForestHalf, Waterford
    July - Killarney again!
    Sept - Dingle, maybe Belfast
    Oct - Galway

If I focus on the Limerick marathon, I can pretty much eliminate all the April and May races and probably half the June ones too.

Time wise I'm going for

5k: Sub 25 - I may have this done by the end of the year, so will be going for sub 24 then :)

10k: Sub 50

10 Mile: Sub 1:28 (Will probably only run Ballycotton)

Half: Sub 2

Much the same way that the Novices thread helped - advices and uplifting comments when you need them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Lovely introduction nop! Thank you! I fully intend to follow and contribute to the thread. I loved being part of the novices group and want to keep on going with the rest of my fellow graduates! :D

I've started what I call 'Project Speedy' and am working on improving my 5k and 10k times. Myles Splitz is helping me. All the gory details can be found on my new training log 'Times, they are a changin'. I have already completed my first full week of training and I'm really enjoying it. Lots of variety, it's challenging but not impossible. I'm really excited for what's ahead!

I'll be at the Jingle Bells 5k to see what kind of time I can pull off which will then inform my training for the rest of the winter. It's been a very long time since I last ran a 5k for a time! I'm very interested to see what will happen at the Jingle Bells! (A little nervous too!) Next year/spring...I guess we'll see how the speedwork improves and go from there! Definitely planning to run another marathon in the future so I do need to keep that in mind too!

It really helps to see what others are doing and how they are progressing. It helps to have the input/advice/encouragement from others and especially now that we all know each other and our running pretty well. Being part of a running community has always been motivating for me.

Thank you nop :)

DG - I am intrigued!

<25 min 5k
    <50 min 10k

They are my only goals until they are achieved. When I hit those targets I'll look at my next goals.

In much the same way as the novices thread helped. It's a "safe" place, no such thing a stupid question, and people around you who know what you're at and "get it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    1 ) what are you're main running goals for next 3 to 12 months.... 5km time to 25.xx before the year end and maybe under 25 in 2016 PB is currently 26.12 but it has to be at St Anne's park run or it doesn't count !!! under 2 hours at HM distance next year PB is currently 2.07, races planned for 2016 already Raheny 5 mile ( pb is 44.01), ballycotton 10 mile (pb is 1.34.41) would love to get pbs in both and after that would hope to do the race series again not yet decided about DCM. Immediate goals to get back running feeling fit again still struggling after DCM but taking it easy as instructed.

Here to help if required for St Anne's for 24 somethingorother :pac:

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Here to help if required for St Anne's for 24 somethingorother :pac:

Thanks A will aim for sub 26first but might take you up on it in 2016 :)

Thanks A will aim for sub 26first but might take you up on it in 2016 :)

No bother to u A, just think of all that interval training between
    Benches when u hit avenue and go for it😀

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    No bother to u A, just think of all that interval training between
    Benches when u hit avenue and go for it😀

Ah the happy days of interval training 4 benches how could I forget !!!

Ah the happy days of interval training 4 benches how could I forget !!!

4 benches 6-8 times in a row at Speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

In the very short time, translate the marathon training to faster times over 5k. I have already tried my hand at a local parkrun and was pleasantly surprised with a good chunk off the last time I tried on the same course. How can I sharpen up more, specifically for shorter distances?

Over the winter, I'd like to go into sustaining mode and train regularly to keep the fitness. Any recommendations, plans, on how best to achieve this?

In 2016, I'd like to work on the HM distance (the only distance I didn't race since starting training for DCM), and possibly try my hand at being a balloon-carrying pacer. I certainly won't have the pedigree that many of the 'real' pacers have, but I should be able to assist in getting people over the line in 2h or 2h10 for a HM, or 25 minutes in the local parkrun :)

Keeping in touch with the former Novices, reading about the progress, highs and lows, and primarily the race reports. I love reading about the mental battles during the hard races, it is really very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Well, I think as a very short term goal...I would like to run the Clontarf HM. around the 1:43 or less as my best half ever is around 1:45 which was in the Dublin Rock & Roll half last year......

That's my really short term... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

Woohoo - we're off again!!
    Really looking forward to continuing the journey on this, and hopefully meeting some of you guys in 2016!!

Lots of things spinning around in my head, and want to compete in a number of races as well as try to set a couple of PB's as well. I want to keep some variety in my training so cycling will be back (but not so sure about the dark side..)

Races:
    Mulitple 5 & 10K's - hopefully starting with the Cork Airport Runway 5K on Saturday night at midnight!!
    Fota Duathlon in Feb
    1 Long distance Adventure Race (Killarney or Dingle or Gaelforce)
    Ballycotton 10M
    Couple of HM's
    Dublin Marathon 2016 (and stay up in Dublin on the Sunday night for a hoolie!)
    Dark Side.... dependent on growing gills in the next few months :)

Some targets (some general / some specific):
    5K - 19.59
    10K - 42.30
    Ballycotton 10M 69.59
    DCM: 3:25 (10 minutes off this years time)
    We just bought Mrs J a new racing bike yesterday (first bike in 25 years) so she has committed to cycling the Ring of Kerry with me next year!

Really just building on everything for the last number of months. Hopefully we can continue to help each other out, and I would hope to contribute more this time rather than asking for help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Oh, its all shiny and new in here!
    Thanks nop for setting this up.

Firstly I want to get rid a niggle I have in my right knee. I've noticed it on every run I've done since the marathon. Going to go out again tomorrow and see how it is. If its still bad a trip to the physio is on the card for Wed or Thurs evening.

Then I suppose I want to get my shorter times down. My best 10km is 50:07 so getting under 50 has been a pretty long term goal. I've signed up for the local parkrun here in Naas but haven't gone yet due to knee issue.

Around April or May I'd like to do a half marathon. I did one 3 years ago and got 1:58:12 I think. Would love to get under 1:50 or even 1:45 if possible.

Just getting general advice and what not. There was a great sense of camaraderie in the Novices thread and it's nice to see how everyone else is getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I'd like to get a PB in the 5K at the Jingle Bells race. What sort of programme should I be following between now and December 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Peter D61

I intend to concentrate on 10k to half marathons between now and
    June and then to prepare for DCM 2016, including the race series. I'm currently looking for a training plan.
    As with the novices thread, advice and encouragement. Answers to stupid questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

I'd like to get a PB in the 5K at the Jingle Bells race. What sort of programme should I be following between now and December 5th?

I have had a look at the Hal Higdon Intermediate 5Km programme but it doesnt line up with the Jingle Bells. A bit of fiddling around will be required.....so..

Decided to just introduce strides and a tempo run mid week for another week and have started to increase my mileage again to about 40km per week. Kind of inline with the above programme for now.

Will take any advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well folks, I am delighted to announce that Myles Splitz has agreed to be our mentor for the foreseeable future! :)

Myles, also known as ecoli, is well respected for his coaching and physiotherapy knowledge, and his knowledge of the sport itself, past and present. He has a reputation as being "unfailingly helpful", and his advice, guidance, and encouragement can be seen all over the training logs here on boards. Lastly, a quick look at his own log here reveals that he's a pretty impressive runner himself! Thanks in advance on behalf of all grads, Myles!

So, let's get started :D. From reading the above thread, there seem to be a couple of trends (not unexpectedly) in what the graduates are hoping to get some initial guidance with.

1> How best to sharpen up for a race like the Jingle Bells 5k, or any local parkrun? There are plenty of training programs out there, but what would you recommend?

For example, I personally would be unsure what time to target. I used to get around 5k in about 22:2x, but I surprised myself with a 21:4x in my local parkrun last weekend. The marathon training seemed to have really helped, even for the shorter, faster stuff (well, "fast" is relative!). Best to be aggressive with goal-setting? And what about the weekly mileage, for some of us this is creeping up again towards 30M and above. Too soon? :pac:

2> Most of us have come to the conclusion (with some gentle nudging from DG! :cool:) that targeting the Clontarf HM, the Clonakilty Full, and a few more races this side of Christmas is not recommended. For those of us who are looking to go "the distance" again (e.g. DCM 2016 or another fall marathon), what would a typical 2016 race calendar look like?

Knew it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play, Myles. The grads are in good hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play, Myles. The grads are in good hands.

so much so there will plenty of graduates from other years lurking in here to learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Was in two minds about getting involved in this thread but it being Myles as mentor has twisted my arm seeing as I see him for treatments anyway.

Keep up the running through the winter with no races.
    Find out what fartleks, tempos & strides are all about.
    Finally beat 2 hours in a Spring HM (2:02:41 is the PB)

Telling me what fartleks, tempos & strides are all about.
    Answers to stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Onto the next chapter!

Not much planned over the next 3 months. Going to do the Clonakilty half in Dec but more for fun than racing
    Planning to do the Rotterdam marathon in April. Hopefully get entry to Berlin. Would like to do a 3:40 marathon.

Looking forward to hearing about the workouts people are doing, speed work, tempo etc and of course answers to any ridiculous questions i'll have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

latest?cb=20120509073411

Thank you for that very generous introduction nop98.

First off I just want to say a huge congrats to you guys, Clearier and Dubgal on the Novice thread. I dipped my toe in every once in a while but the effort that went into it was immense. You guys really don't know how lucky you had it with her.

(really puts the pressure on me as the bar has been set :D)

Some of you I have met through treatments, the others I hope to meet at races along the way.

Will start of with some ground rules

- No such thing as a silly question. The only stupid question is the one not asked. I have been coaching nearly 10 years and some of the most insightful questions I had been asked were ones which alot of people would dub "something that everybody knows" because sometimes it is important to question the very basics just because everybody does it. As such I encourage everyone to ask away on anything the are unsure of. If you do not wish to put yourself out there the PM me and I can post the question and answer as anonymous.

My hope for this thread is to not only guide you over the coming months in terms of races and PB's but hopefully arm you with an understanding of different training methods so that you can be informed in evaluating the plans and coaches out there to cut through the BS and find out what is best for you.
    nop98 wrote: »
    1> How best to sharpen up for a race like the Jingle Bells 5k, or any local parkrun? There are plenty of training programs out there, but what would you recommend?

For example, I personally would be unsure what time to target. I used to get around 5k in about 22:2x, but I surprised myself with a 21:4x in my local parkrun last weekend. The marathon training seemed to have really helped, even for the shorter, faster stuff (well, "fast" is relative!). Best to be aggressive with goal-setting? And what about the weekly mileage, for some of us this is creeping up again towards 30M and above. Too soon? :pac:

With regards to upcoming parkruns and Jinglebells most of you may find that you come off the marathon in PB shape over the shorter distances despite not doing any specific work for them. This is because both marathon and 5k are basically events based around aerobic strength as such many of the aspects of marathon training will transfer over.

For anyone planning on doing parkruns in the next few weeks my advice would be to keep things nice and handy. Your short midweek runs 45-60 minutes at easy effort and your long run no more that 90 minutes. You can add a few strides after 2 of your runs a week (20-30 seconds at higher effort i.e not flat out sprints with 2-3 minutes walk in between just to get the legs turning over. This for the majority of people should be enough to see noticeable differences over the 5k unless you have been locked up the last 4 weeks on a strict diet of beer, kebabs and the left Halloween treats :P

With regards plans we will be going ahead and compiling a boards graduates plan that will start in December (in mean time I will post bridging gap week next week to ease people back in

With regards other plans however I am more than happy to give my input and feedback on any others might want to follow. In terms of 5k's there are plenty from Hal Higdon, running planet,Runnersworld, P and D Advanced Road Racing, Steve Magness, Pete Magill

Some of these may seem daunting or the mileage out of reach but if you learn why things are there you can tweak the plans to suit your needs.
    nop98 wrote: »
    2> Most of us have come to the conclusion (with some gentle nudging from DG! :cool:) that targeting the Clontarf HM, the Clonakilty Full, and a few more races this side of Christmas is not recommended. For those of us who are looking to go "the distance" again (e.g. DCM 2016 or another fall marathon), what would a typical 2016 race calendar look like?

With regards races the world is your oyster. The great thing bout 1500m on track to Ultra marathons is that they all share one vital component; aerobic strength is the key to them as such which way you go really depends on you

To give you an idea of some races across all disciplines that might be of interest to people

Track - ALSAA Winter League
    Cross Country - http://bhaa.ie/ (2016 Calendar not yet available but plenty of early spring XC
    Mountain running - http://www.imra.ie (site currently down
    Road RacingRoad Racing Calendar
    Ultra Running http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/ultra-running/

Just because you started out as a marathon runner doesn't pigeon hole you and there are plenty of examples of it throughout the board

Chivito550 started off as a marathon runner and is now competing in Sprints an trying his hand at long jump
    Krusty Clown took the route you guys are going at the moment from this to this with dabbling in 400m to Ultra races along the way
    KielyUnusual went from marathoner to middle distance track runner.

The point I am trying to make is not to be afraid to try anything and you don't have to hyperspecialize in a particular event because of any preconceptions or beliefs of speed etc.

The training will be designed around getting you aerobically strong and making you an all round more complete runner whatever avenue you pursue but it will all be beneficial if you do go down the marathon route again next year.

I had hoped to post the Lord Mayors 5 alive challenge as a target to get people to try a wide variety of races however it is already booked out so we may try and create our own version for graduates. I think looking to 2016 Raheny is usually the first port of call for graduates so we will look at designing the boards program around targetting that unless the majority want to aim for another race?

Hope that is enough to start off and live up to my predecessors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

denis b wrote: »
    I have had a look at the Hal Higdon Intermediate 5Km programme but it doesnt line up with the Jingle Bells. A bit of fiddling around will be required.....so..

Decided to just introduce strides and a tempo run mid week for another week and have started to increase my mileage again to about 40km per week. Kind of inline with the above programme for now.

Will take any advice!!!

Sound spot on to me. With the tempo keep it nice and controlled. between now and jingle bells the strength from the marathon should still be there it is more about just getting the legs rolling again after the recovery rather than focusing on building additional fitness just yet. That can wait until mid December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best everyone!:) ye are all in great hands with Myles, make the most of this opportunity and it will pay you back in spades.

Fairplay for taking it on man, the effort you put in on here is second to none, best of luck with it!

Advertisement