Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alsaa Winter Track League 2015/2016

Options
  • 25-09-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

Just got this info from one of the organisers who asked me to circulate.

ALSAA Athletics
    www.alsaa.ie
    Track Race Series 15/16
    Date Time Distance
    • 20th Oct 1930 1 mile
    • 17th Nov 1930 3000m
    • 8th Dec 1930 1 mile
    • 19th Jan 1930 3000m
    • 16th Feb 1930 1 mile
    • 22th Mar 1930 3000m
    Annual Peter Doody Memorial race
    • 12th Apr 1930 1 mile.

VENUE: ALSAA SPORTS CENTRE, DUBLIN AIRPORT
    ENTRY: 5 EURO per race or 25 EURO per series.
    These races are organised to facilitate athletes of all standards during the Winter/Spring training season. Use them as an introduction to track racing, speed session or to judge race fitness.

EVERYONE WELCOME
    For info: Contact Gerry Martin @ 087-2132244 or Eugene Foley @ 086-3835695.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I did one of the races in the ALSAA series a few years ago and I'd definitely recommend them as an introduction to the track.

The times in the mile could range from 5 mins to 7+ so if you're looking for a Rio qualifying standard, it's probably not for you, but if you want to find out if you like running relatively quickly in circles and racing on the track, it seemed a non-intimidating environment to try it out.

I think they generally do multiple seeded races so you won't be out of your depth whatever time you're running, although there was only one 3000m race the night I ran (which was a bit messy).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Wear footwear with adequate cushioning. That track is 3 levels beyond awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Going try to hit most of these races for a bit of variety over the winter months.

As a shuffling road runner they should prove interesting, and with the 4 week gaps, and a bit of targeted a training, you could see measured improvement over the course of each race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Wear footwear with adequate cushioning. That track is 3 levels beyond awful.

Is it an outdoor track?

Might take a trip up some day and try and blast out a decent mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Is it an outdoor track?

Might take a trip up some day and try and blast out a decent mile.

yes outdoor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I've always enjoyed these races.

By the time you get to December its freezing, its dark (so not even a hint of sun to warm you like at a winter XC race) and it's usually lashing hailstones.

So even for non-novices its a good way to get a tough speed session to break up monotonous training routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just giving this a bump as the series starts tonight with the Mile on the track. Best of luck to all running! Hope to make the next one.

Did the 1 miler last night. Enjoyable run, split over 2 standards. About 20 runners for the first slower mile, and 15 for the second faster mile.

Ran the slower "old lads" one, and finished 3rd... Happy out, and will be back for the 3000m on Nov17th... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I'm planning on heading along for the rest of the series. I'd be excommunicated from the marathon novices thread if I were to do a 1 mile race this week :)

Do you just show up and sign up on the night?

Singer wrote: »
    I'm planning on heading along for the rest of the series. I'd be excommunicated from the marathon novices thread if I were to do a 1 mile race this week :)

Yup

Yup

• Advertisement

€5 per race, and about 35-40 there last night. Have an idea of your expected 3000m time in advance, so you can select the correct race group (if there is another large turnout)...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭28064212

3000m on tonight. Does the first race (assuming there'll be more than one) start at 19:30? Or is that when you have to be there for?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    3000m on tonight. Does the first race (assuming there'll be more than one) start at 19:30? Or is that when you have to be there for?

19:30 would be the start time. You'd need to get there a bit earlier to pay/register and warm up.

Good fun last night, and a turnout of around 20 which wasn't bad given the conditions. Doubt if anyone set a PB last night, Barney was making his presence felt on the 2nd bend and the home straight.

Mile is next on 8/12.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Doubt if anyone set a PB last night
    Pfft, speak for yourself* :P But yes, very tough wind. Might have ducked under 10min on another day, but 10:30 last night. Lead from the start all the way to the bell, but absolutely destroyed over the last lap by the winner, who ran the last 400m 11s faster!

Hopefully better conditions for the mile, take a crack breaking at 5 minutes

* Might have been my first 3000m

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Pfft, speak for yourself* :P But yes, very tough wind. Might have ducked under 10min on another day, but 10:30 last night. Lead from the start all the way to the bell, but absolutely destroyed over the last lap by the winner, who ran the last 400m 11s faster!

Hopefully better conditions for the mile, take a crack breaking at 5 minutes

* Might have been my first 3000m

Nice work! You'll take a big chunk off that in calmer conditions. Did the winner use you as a wind block ? - shameless behaviour :D

Mile race tonight. Looks like it should be a lot calmer than last month anyway

Good luck to anyone taking part this evening. I have to give it a miss due to just getting over the lurgy. Hardly recognise myself I'm being so sensible :rolleyes:

I was planning to do a few of these, but I have the Raheny 2 mile winter league on Tomorrow night, so opting for that one.

No specific training done anyway, so would probably end up at the back :(

I'm heading along this evening. First time running on a track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

I headed out to the 3000m on Tuesday just gone (19th Jan) first time running on track and that distance. didnt know what to expect tbh track was slippy in places for road runners. definitely going to do the next 2 coming up.

Anyone know if the turn out for these events are generally low, 15 people on Tuesday?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

I headed out to the 3000m on Tuesday just gone (19th Jan) first time running on track and that distance. didnt know what to expect tbh track was slippy in places for road runners. definitely going to do the next 2 coming up.

Anyone know if the turn out for these events are generally low, 15 people on Tuesday?!?!?

Yeh, there was low-20s when I went along to the mile race in December. I found the ALSAA track a little slippy too (though so was the track in Santry on Tuesday night due to frost).

I saw that there's a series of paced miles organised by Irish Runner in ALSAA over the next while, might also be of interest :)

http://irishrunner.com/irish-runner-magazine-paced-miles/

Advertisement