Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

conor_mc wrote: »
    Done! ;)

Quick straw poll for some advice guys if I may? I've had achilles trouble the last four weeks, took two weeks off, then ran DCHM at easy pace (1:58) with a couple of wu/cd miles, since then I've only really done one short midweek run each week (3-4m), but I've got a couple of LSR's (20m & 17m) done in the two weekends since. Both were strained towards the end, I definitely didn't finish them as strongly as I would have liked.

So my question is this - given that I haven't maintained the intensity over the past month, should I focus on tapering with more short runs or try to get in another LSR or two (say 16m this weekend, 14m next?)

I was following the Boards plan pretty well up until the start of Sept, but I'm thinking if I taper I'll just use HHN1 and adjust goals accordingly. What say ye?

I think the focus should be on getting to the start line injury free so maybe plan a route that allows you to opt out if you experience pain...at all. Some 5m loops or something like that.
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck graduates and hope all your training has being going well. I'm giving serious consideration to just going back to the start of this thread and following Myles plan again after DCM. Snagged a few PBs with it early on this year. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Best of luck graduates and hope all your training has being going well. I'm giving serious consideration to just going back to the start of this thread and following Myles plan again after DCM. Snagged a few PBs with it early on this year. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

I've been wrecking my head a little with trying to figure out a plan for next year over the last few weeks. This year was easy to figure out - mostly the same as last year, except with more miles :) I was toying around with the idea of a spring marathon (I'd love to do Barcelona, Rotterdam and London at some stage), but going straight into more marathon training doesn't seem particularly exciting right now. I want to take a big family holiday next August, so that might rule out a serious autumn marathon :confused:

One idea for next year was to not do any race I've ran before (arbitrary but interesting I guess). In the end I decided to not make any decisions until January when I should be emotionally and physically over DCM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

I've all his plans saved down from last year deffo ! Although feel like I'm never going to run again at the moment so sick of it !!! Roll on Sunday week !!!

Indeed I was just looking at Myles plan the other day so probably will give them a follow I think. Will wait to get through DCM first! I was/am thinking about the full in Connemara but negotiations at home have to be progressed on that! Initial feedback was not the best...

• Advertisement

He also posted the bones of a plan for Ballycotton earlier on in the thread. I believe some have had success with it. I'm registered for the Dungarvan 10 in February so I might do that. But definitely no Spring marathon for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm not going to bother with any marathon next year (though I did say the same last year and here I am.....) - I'm just going to focus on getting my 5k times down to a regular 23mins, a sub 50 10k, and a 1:45 HM. That's my 2017 goals. If I survive the 30th....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm thinking DCM next year provided I stay on track with my goals. Feeling a bit behind though but have had a few set backs this year so I can't blame myself (even though I want to...bad habit, I know!). It's been awhile since I raced anything and even longer since I raced my target distance, 5k so I'm itching to give it a try. Still not entirely confident in the legs though so am going about it sensibly!

Getting lots of memories of the good old days from this time last year, reading the current Novices thread. Has it been a nearly a year already?!

This is just a copy and paste job, but I thought it might be nice to have the whole plan in one place for those who want to have another go:

Training paces: Based on current 5k pace not your PB!!!! You MP and HMP will be faster than you would run them but they will do for training. Main thing is take you easy days really, really easy - I makes you faster!!

Easy Pace:
    5k + 2.30-3 min per mile; 5k + 1:30 - 1:50 min/km
    Steady Pace
    5k + 1.15 - 1.45 sec per mile; 5k + 0:45 - 1:05 min/km
    MP
    5k + 45 sec - 1.15 min per mile; 5k + 0:27 - 0:45 min/km
    HMP
    5k pace + 25-40 sec per mile; 5k + 0:15 - 0:25 min/km
    5k + 15-30 sec per mile; 5k + 0:10 - 0:19 min/km

week 1:
    Monday OFF
    Tuesday 45 min easy
    Wednesday 10-15 minutes warm up, 10 minutes of strides, 10-15 minutes cooldown
    Thursday 45 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 45 min easy (last 10 minutes at marathon effort)
    Sunday 75 minutes easy

Strides: 15 secs on, 20 secs rest or - football pitch diagonals (jog along gaol line from corner to corner the fast diagonally to the opposite corner at the other end of the pitch, jog along the goal line to opposite corner -repeat)

week 2:

eek 2
    Monday OFF
    Tuesday 45 minutes easy
    Wednesday 30 minutes easy + 6*100m strides
    Thursday OFF
    Friday 15 minutes recovery
    Saturday Race
    Sunday 30 minutes very easy
    Strides - build up to race pace and jog slowly/walk back. Race on Saturday is a park run to get a fell for your current 5k form

week 3

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 45 min easy
    Wednesday 1 mile warm up, 8x45 second hills, 1 mile cooldown
    Thursday 45 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 10 min warm up, 20 min tempo, 10 min warm up
    Sunday 80 min easy

Hills - run up hard, focus on form, jog back down turn around and repeat

week 4

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 45 minutes easy
    Wednesday 10 min w/u, 12x45 secs @ 5k effort (1 min jog rec), 10 min c/d
    Thursday 45 minutes easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 10 min warm up, 45 min MP, 10 min cooldown
    Sunday 80 minutes easy

week 5
    Christmas week
    Monday OFF
    Tuesday 45 min easy
    Wednesday 60 min steady
    Thursday 45 min easy
    Friday OFF/ Goal Mile
    Saturday 30 min recovery
    Sunday 70 min easy

Week 6:

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 50 minutes easy
    Wednesday 10 min w/u, 12x90sec @ 5k pace with 1min recovery, 10 min cooldown
    Thursday 50 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 10 min warm up, 20-25 min @ HM,10 min cooldown
    Sunday 90 min easy

Week 7

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 50 minutes easy
    Wednesday 10 min w/u, 5 x 4 min @ 10k pace with 3min recovery, 10 min cooldown
    Thursday 50 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 50 min easy
    Sunday 90 min Progression

Progression Run

The aim of this run will be 40 minutes easy, 30 minutes at slightly slower than marathon effort and last 20 minutes at Marathon effort.

Benefits of Progression run

- Safely adding quality to long run
    - Great for teach the body to use fuel more efficiently
    - Encourages positive running mechanics when form usually falters due to fatigue

As you probably see from a few of the logs around here I am a huge fan of this type of run with athletes and I think they are a great addition to marathon runners arsenal as well as shorter distances.

If you are running by HR up the intensity by 10 - 15 bpm for each segment.

Week 8

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 50 minutes easy
    Wednesday 10 min w/u, 8 x 2 min @ 5k pace with 90 second recovery recovery, 10 min cooldown
    Thursday 50 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday Park Run - good effort but not all out - maybe just below 10k pace
    Sunday 90 min Easy

Week 9 - adapt if your not running a race - 50 easy Saturday, 90 easy Sunday. Race effort Wednesday is @ 5 mile pace

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 45 minutes easy
    Wednesday 10 min w/u, 1,2,3,2,1 minutes @ race effort w/ equal time recovery, 10 min cooldown
    Thursday 35 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 15 min walk/ recovery jog (very slow)
    Sunday 5 mile race

Week 10 This was posted late so just do 45 mins easy Tuesday to complete the week.

Wednesday 50 min steady
    Thursday 45 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday 10 min warm up, 5,4,3,2,1 minutes @ 10k+ effort with 3 min rec, 10 min cooldown
    Sunday 90 min easy

Week 11

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 50 min easy
    Wednesday - 60 min steady
    Thursday - 50 min easy min easy
    Friday - OFF
    Saturday -10 min warm up, 7,6,5 minutes @ 10k effort with 3 min rec, 3,2,1 min @ 5k effort with 2 min recovery, 10 min cooldown
    Sunday - 95 min easy

Week 12

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 50 min easy
    Wednesday - 10 min warm up, 20 min tempo, 10 min cooldown
    Friday - OFF
    Saturday -10 min warm up, 5x5 minutes @ 10k effort with 4 min rec, 10 min cooldown
    Sunday - 95 min easy

Tempo - 5k pace per mile + 25 - 30 second

Week 13

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 40 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up, 4x5 min @ 10 mile race pace w/ 3 min easy rec, 1 mile cooldown
    Thursday - 40 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -15 min recovery
    Sunday - Race

or if not racing

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 50 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up, 8x70 sec hills w/ 2 min rec, 1 mile easy
    Friday - OFF
    Saturday -10 min warm up, (4x3 min @ 5k pace w/ 3 min rec), (3x1 min @ 10k pace w/ 1 min rec), (2x3 min @ 5k pace w/ 3 min rec) 10 min cooldown
    Sunday - 90 min easy

Week 14

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 40 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up, 5 min HM pace, 10 min MP, 5 min HM pace (800 jog recoveries, 1 mile cooldown
    Thursday - 40 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -15 min recovery
    Sunday - Race - 10 mile

or if not racing:
    If you ran a 10 mile race in week 13 at the weekend I would avoid doing a midweek session and just stick to 45 min easy and then tag into the remainder of the week as follows (also for those not racing either event)

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 40 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up, 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 min @ 5k pace w/2-3 min easy rec, 1 mile cooldown
    Thursday - 40 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -1 mile easy, 3x10 min @ HM pace with 3 min rec, 1 mile easy
    Sunday 2 hr easy

Week 15

not racing:

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 50 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up, 5x5 min @ 10k pace w/3 min easy rec, 1 mile cooldown
    Thursday - 50 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -1 mile easy, 3x8 min @10 mile pace with 3 min rec, 1 mile easy
    Sunday 2 hr easy

racing a 5k;

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 40 min easy
    Wednesday - 30 min easy + 6*45 sec @ 5k pace with 90 sec rec
    Thursday - 40 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -20 min recovery run
    Sunday 5k race

Week 16

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 50 min easy
    Wednesday - 60 min progression (starting at easy and finishing last 10 min at MP)
    Thursday - 50 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -1 mile easy, 8, 7, 6, 5 min @ 10k pace with 3 min rec, 1 mile easy
    Sunday 2 hr easy

Week 17

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 55 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile easy, 8x3 min @ 10k w/ 2.30 rec, 1 mile easy
    Thursday - 55 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -1 easy, 45 min MP, 1 easy
    Sunday 2 hr easy

Week 18

Race week

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 45 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile easy, 6x2 min @ 10k w/ 2.30 rec, 1 mile easy
    Thursday - 40 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -15 min recovery (last 3 min @ 10k pace)
    Sunday 10k Race

For those not racing

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - 55 min easy
    Wednesday - 1 mile easy, 2,3,4,5,4,3,2 min @ 10k w/ 2.30 rec, 1 mile easy
    Thursday - 55 min easy
    Friday OFF
    Saturday -1 easy, 3x12 min @ HM w/ 4 min jog rec, 1 easy
    Sunday 2 hr easy

Will stick up a link to my DCM 2016 race report here

TLDR
    Chip Time: 3:57:34 (Target Sub 4, started with a 3:59 pace band on to counter for the extra few hundred meters that would be ran)
    Previous Best: 4:12:54 (from my one marathon to date in DCM 2015)
    Distance: 26.2miles (26.57 on my GPS, I was easily 0.2m out in the early miles as trying to run a good line was impossible with the 4hr pace crowds, I used the mile markers/total race time/pace band as reference to how I was doing...checking after each mile)
    Avg overall pace: 8:57min/mi (from my watch)
    Didn't wear a heart rate monitor this year, find the chest band annoying late on in long distance races.
    Training plan used: Running Shoes Guru plan
    Delighted with the day, felt it couldn't have went any better with a 1:59:06 first half and 1:58:28 second half, stuck in/around 4 hour pacers till halfway and then pushed on to run on my own for the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

diego_b wrote: »
    Will stick up a link to my DCM 2016 race report here

As always a great race report from diego_b!

Thanks for the mention in ur report, I was delighted to hear you shout out to me as there were so many bodies in that group it was difficult to pick people out.
    I was armed with my 'Go Board Novices' sign and a plate of jelly babies that were hoovered up by many grateful runners, in particular the 4:30-5:10 runners that were delighted with a much needed sugar kick!

You looked very comfortable for nearly 16 miles in, fair play on you sub 4 DCM ;).

Thinking strongly of having another bash at the DCM myself in 2017. Looking at the Clontarf HM in a few weeks time as one of the last races of the year....might see a few of you there....

Thanks very much Smash, kinda looking towards DCM 2017 myself yet again...when does it become too much of a good thing! I thought about doing one in March or April but might do a plan for a half instead...have never done a proper training plan for a half.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm not going to bother with any marathon next year (though I did say the same last year and here I am.....) - I'm just going to focus on getting my 5k times down to a regular 23mins, a sub 50 10k, and a 1:45 HM. That's my 2017 goals. If I survive the 30th....

I'm just going to remove this post as I put myself in the lottery for Berlin, and register for Limerick.......

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm just going to remove this post as I put myself in the lottery for Berlin, and register for Limerick.......

Ha ha that didn't take long !!!

chrislad wrote:

I didn't want to say anything because I did something similiar this year! Anyway enjoy the training and I highly recommend that you start your own training log. I benefitted a lot from keeping one and the feedback you get is worth it.

I didn't want to say anything because I did something similiar this year! Anyway enjoy the training and I highly recommend that you start your own training log. I benefitted a lot from keeping one and the feedback you get is worth it.

+1 to that I started one as well this year and you get lots of great input and it keeps you on plan.

I am going to do the Clontarf HM on Saturday!

I was 50-50 on it for a while, but decided to get my ass in gear in the last few weeks and do this as a last HM before Santy arrives :)

Any of you guys doing it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

smashiner wrote: »
    I am going to do the Clontarf HM on Saturday!

I was 50-50 on it for a while, but decided to get my ass in gear in the last few weeks and do this as a last HM before Santy arrives :)

Any of you guys doing it??

Yup in for this.. Saturday looks COLD!!! The singlet may be left at home.. Best of luck!

Amazing this thread is still going! I'm stepping up for 2017 with 2 marathons on the books! Rotterdam and Dublin.. Two PBs is the hope!!

Yup in for this.. Saturday looks COLD!!! The singlet may be left at home.. Best of luck!

Amazing this thread is still going! I'm stepping up for 2017 with 2 marathons on the books! Rotterdam and Dublin.. Two PBs is the hope!!

Yes, it is mad that this thread is still going! Saturday is shaping up to be a cold one, which I don't really mind so long as it is not too windy.

I did this HM in the summer in 2014 as my first ever HM and the weather took a turn for the worse about half way through and we were bashed by a freaky wind and some rain that came out of nowhere!

Fingers crossed that Mr Wind is kind to us. Great to hear that you have 2 marathons planned for 2017, fair play to you! I am thinking of doing the Ironman 70.3 (if you are allowed to wear orange arm bands for the swim) :eek: and then the DCM again later in the year.

Gonna give the swimming a good lash this year and hopefully have a year to remember!! A few of my friends and I are waffling about the 70.3, but all of us are secretly hoping that we pull out :D

Good stuff, looking at two marathons myself....Tralee in March so training starts in two weeks. Planning to use the same plan as the one I did for Dublin as it served me well. And then DCM again I figure.

• Advertisement

I'm still out of action since dcm going off my head not running into week 3 now back to physio tonight to see if any improvement and what to do next. Have done Clontarf twice before and I like the course the wind can be cruel if you're running into it. Watch the soft sand coming on and off the beach.best of luck :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    I'm still out of action since dcm going off my head not running into week 3 now back to physio tonight to see if any improvement and what to do next. Have done Clontarf twice before and I like the course the wind can be cruel if you're running into it. Watch the soft sand coming on and off the beach.best of luck :)

Fingers crossed you're back out on the roads again soon A!

I'm looking at Limerick and either Berlin (if I get in) or DCM again. I'm half tempted to do DCM even if I get Berlin, but do it really, really, really, really handy. I just really like Dublin.

A, you had a rough day out. I'm still not 100% either, just tapping along. The crap weather doesn't help either!

Well, how are we keeping? Want to share some targets for the year?
    I'm currently training for the Tralee marathon on March 18th, depending on how that goes I will decide whether to go for DCM again this year (and have a target). Will try some shorter stuff over April/May/June. Toying between the half marathon in Cork on June Bank Holiday Sunday or else maybe giving the Dingle Adventure Race a go later the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

diego_b wrote: »
    Well, how are we keeping? Want to share some targets for the year?
    I'm currently training for the Tralee marathon on March 18th, depending on how that goes I will decide whether to go for DCM again this year (and have a target). Will try some shorter stuff over April/May/June. Toying between the half marathon in Cork on June Bank Holiday Sunday or else maybe giving the Dingle Adventure Race a go later the same week.

Just signed up for Limerick half to give a target ahead of DCM training,
    Tralee training looks like it's going well for you, best luck with rest of
    targets.

After messing around with one of the graduate plans for a bit, I've changed course and signed up for the marathon in Cork in June. I'm doing Ballycotton too and a couple of shorter Cork BHAA races in the build up. I have half an eye on DCM 2017 as well, but I'll have to see how training for Cork goes first.

Definate targets on the shorter distances this year 5k 5 mile 10k all of which haven't been broken in a while. Ballycotton 10 is the next target race for me then the terenure 5 mile. After that not sure yet. Following the graduates plan for 10 miles at the mo.

I did the Raheny 5 a few weeks ago, really enjoyed it.....hurt my ankle and was out of running for 2 weeks:( . But thankfully am ok now yaaaaayyyy

Going to give the auld 'Dark Side' a good go this year and I am working on my swimming at the moment (as it is a bit crap), my mates have gone nuts and joined Triathlon clubs.....

I will probably do the SPAR 10K or another road race such as the 10 miler in Raheny /Clontarf a few weeks later. I am also thinking strongly of doing the DCM for the 3rd time this year too when this whole Triathlon fad passes ;)

See ya'll around....

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Getting a bit of treatment for achilles problem at the moment, hit me hard last year, got through DCM on just LSR's for last two months but can't even do 4 days back-to-back at present without a flare-up. So time to sort it out once and for all!

Hope to be back running by mid-May, aiming to do some triathlons this season and want to run a sub-40 10k this year too. Doubt I'll do a marathon this year, but as someone once said, never say never!!!!

• Advertisement

I didn't really have any targets, bar Berlin in Sept, so I needed to get some! I'm going for a sub 50 10k in Ennis next month. I hadn't planned to race the Limerick Half as I was going to pace my sister, but she's had to pull out with a trapped nerve, so I'll possibly aim for a sub 1:50 in Limerick. My previous PB is 1:56 in Charleville so this may be too much considering Limerick is a tougher course, but my training has me currently running, comfortably, 9-9:20 minute miles so I just need to hang on! Back to double digit miles this Saturday for the first time since DCM last year!

Advertisement