Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Feel your pain Chris, did the strides tonight as well. Was tough going but did them ok and managed a fast pace, used the coast two lamposts fast and one slow worked out fine, but in my last 10 mins easy the calves were very tight. It good to be back with a plan but there is a huge element of frustration as well that you want to be feeling a lot better that you are currently. :( I'm out tomorrow night so up early in the morning to go out for the easy 45 mins. Hopefully things will fall into place over the coming weeks.

Remember it's only start of new plan, so should feel like more effort
    It'll all come together.:)
    Ps when u starting your training log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Thanks Myles.

Well yes on Crossfit but that will be mostly used for strength, core stuff etc hopefully. And them some swimming. And, um, maybe some cycling.... You know.... Crosstraining :D

Ahhh, A dark sider, why is it 90% of the boardsie women in my life leave me for a fancy bike and a slick wet suit :p

If it is "Tri" related Cross training than I would say Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be your key days. The bike will act as low impact aerobic work (or easy runs) to an extent so you want to focus on the quality work
    Patellar tendonitis is apparently what I have according to the physio. Went there yesterday so she said not to run for the next week and to go back and see her next Thursday. So a few stretching exercises for the quads, a bit of ice and a week of doing nothing. Forgot to ask her but would swimming be ok for it? Cycling?

Sorry to hear.

I would say swimming would good port of call as cycling tends to be an activity where the quads are highly engaged so you want to increase activity levels without over stressing injured area.
    chrislad wrote: »
    Just in from the 10easy-10strides-10easy session. It was tough going, and my strides dropped in pace a good bit between the first sent and the last (7:12 to 9:04!) - My glutes are still not feeling 100%, it's not painful, it's not irritating, it's just like they feel like they've already done 10 miles without telling me.

This heaviness is the reason why rest is advocated after marathon as the muscle damage is just one area which needs repair. Your metabolic activity is also an element which can be overlooked. Remember as well you also had a Parkrun from weekend to recover from as well. This sluggishness will go away in the next few weeks though but pay particular attention to your body and keeping your easy days easy for now (don't worry about pace but err on the side of caution.
    Feel your pain Chris, did the strides tonight as well. Was tough going but did them ok and managed a fast pace, used the coast two lamposts fast and one slow worked out fine, but in my last 10 mins easy the calves were very tight. It good to be back with a plan but there is a huge element of frustration as well that you want to be feeling a lot better that you are currently. :( I'm out tomorrow night so up early in the morning to go out for the easy 45 mins. Hopefully things will fall into place over the coming weeks.

This sort of work is probably relatively new to many people so there may be a few achy bodies. The main thing is to make sure that you keep things handy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Exactly as KennyG says! A few weeks ago we were marathon ready and now we're post-marathon with everything that that entails (niggles, recovery, etc.) and at the start of our first structured week of proper running for what feels like an age! You have been at the physio so don't forget that. It'll come, same as it did for DCM!

TFGR, yay!! Glad you're out of your slump and back to enjoying running :D

I did my strides last night. Had to guestimate the distance and pace but think it was okay.

/quickly glances around to make sure DG isn't listening. Is there a way to use my garmin for the strides?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

This heaviness is the reason why rest is advocated after marathon as the muscle damage is just one area which needs repair. Your metabolic activity is also an element which can be overlooked. Remember as well you also had a Parkrun from weekend to recover from as well. This sluggishness will go away in the next few weeks though but pay particular attention to your body and keeping your easy days easy for now (don't worry about pace but err on the side of caution.

Cheers. I'm still going nearly 60 seconds faster than my marathon training pace, but I'm going to pull it back for the next 3 days anyway to that pace and ease myself back in a bit more easy! :)

Cheers. I'm still going nearly 60 seconds faster than my marathon training pace, but I'm going to pull it back for the next 3 days anyway to that pace and ease myself back in a bit more easy! :)

Ah but there is 22 miles less to deal with ;) Also I think that marathon pace for many 1st time marathon runners can be a bit of a paradox. As I mentioned before regarding the body and the aerobic capacity developing at different rates, sometimes your marathon pace can in fact be too easy relative to the effort over the shorter distances. It is necessary in order to get to the finish line of the marathon but may not in fact be the right level aerobically for "marathon effort" if that makes sense? This is one of the reasons why people are encouraged to spend a bit of time at shorter distances before going to the marathon (or indeed training at shorter distances at any stage even between marathons)

I will stress though easy days are by definition easy as such while there is stress put on not doing them too fast I have yet to meet some who runs them too slow as long as they are doing there hard days hard.

One particularly good example of this is an Irish 2.17 marathon runner (who actually pops in and out of boards from time to time) Despite his marathon pace being low 5 min per mile he regularly runs outside 8 minutes for his easy one's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Wow, it's one month since the marathon! It's not hard to recall exactly what I was doing this time one month ago :)

I have to admit sneakily going back into the old novices thread a few times since and rereading the final buildup and race reports... It really was special.

I think I've recovered by now, though I think I've lost some fitness ramping back up the miles has been pretty easy (if that makes sense).

Random link from today's 'Times - Good advice from Sonia on relaxing: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sonia-o-sullivan-learning-to-relax-is-vital-for-any-successful-athlete-1.2443746

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Got my easy 45 mins in this morning. They were the slowest kms I have run in ages for some reason. Copped it early on and just kept moving at this automatic pace. Running back down a long gentle hill and I could hear some "wheels" catching up on me. The wheels were being driven by a running Dad pushing a buggy with a toddler on board to creche!!!! Now that's dedication.

Yep.... feeling it as well. At least we rest up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ahhh, A dark sider, why is it 90% of the boardsie women in my life leave me for a fancy bike and a slick wet suit :p

No woman embraces having to beat themselves into a wetsuit if that helps.

The bike though is fantastic, everyone should have at least two.

I'm not entirely moving to the darkside. Just dabbling ;)
    aquinn wrote: »

I have a beeeeautiful commuter bike, that I don't use often enough, it's so pretty, and it's also a really really good bike BUT I bought that five years ago on the bike to work so now I'm allowed another bike to work and so I'm going to have a road bike too :D

For crosstraining.

:eek:

6-Down-With-This-Sort-Of-Thing-IMAGE.jpg

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I disagree :D my wetsuit is soooo easy to get on and also very pretty as it has flowers on it :D

Once I get my front wheel fixed on the bike I'll be completely sorted...

sorry Myles!!

PS Myles is not allowed on bike, ever again.

So yeh, just for crosstraining purposes if you could let me know what wetsuit that is that would be great :D

denis b wrote: »
    Got my easy 45 mins in this morning. They were the slowest kms I have run in ages for some reason. Copped it early on and just kept moving at this automatic pace. Running back down a long gentle hill and I could hear some "wheels" catching up on me. The wheels were being driven by a running Dad pushing a buggy with a toddler on board to creche!!!! Now that's dedication.

Yep.... feeling it as well. At least we rest up tomorrow.

Only one child in the buggy?
    My first race after DCM was Feb 14th this year and St Anne's Parkrun. I would have chucked myself in a ditch if I hadn't been spotted but worse than that was been overtaken by a double buggy! It was their first attempt too. HUH, still not over this obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Remember it's only start of new plan, so should feel like more effort
    It'll all come together.:)
    Ps when u starting your training log.

Someday ..... Maybe ..... In the not too distance future .... Maybe :)

Only one child in the buggy?
    My first race after DCM was Feb 14th this year and St Anne's Parkrun. I would have chucked myself in a ditch if I hadn't been spotted but worse than that was been overtaken by a double buggy! It was their first attempt too. HUH, still not over this obviously.

Has to have been Killerz often seen trotted around St Anne's with the twins :) he probably got a PB too !

This sort of work is probably relatively new to many people so there may be a few achy bodies. The main thing is to make sure that you keep things handy tonight.

I actually did strides and interval training as part of DCM training but I guess the difference was the length of time doing them was longer than I've done before. Was out at 6.30 this morning for 45 mins easy so that went well was distracted by the chatter with my running buddy so didn't notice the calves as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

+1 on the wetsuit - an evil necessity in cold Irish waters if you know the kids are going to be in the waves for too long - that's as far as I take that one.

The bike I love for commuting - such a great alternative to the car/bus. No dark side for me though !

Mrs Mc wrote:
    Has to have been Killerz often seen trotted around St Anne's with the twins he probably got a PB too !

Of course it was. I only spotted the second child after it was over. Horrified then of course to find his log entry months later that it was his first time to try it out with the twins and it wasn't even the trail buggy.
    kit3 wrote:
    The bike I love for commuting - such a great alternative to the car/bus. No dark side for me though !

Yet kit, no darkside yet.... you have the bike and wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Yet kit, no darkside yet.... you have the bike and wetsuit.

No fear, I'd drown on the first leg (hard enough to find time to run !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Missed Wednesday running with work and stuff so did it last night.

15mins easy @ 6:00min/km
    10 mins using a GAA pitch as described above. Found it a little tough first pass to keep a pace by looking at my watch so i counted it out in seconds instead. So it was ~20 seconds @ 5:00min/km then 20 seconds around the back of the goals as a slow jog the again across the pitch.
    Really enjoyed it and was consistent enough for the 10 mins.
    15 mins easy @ 6:00min/km cool down.

So think i could go a little stronger for the 10 mins interval and i need a head torch as it was a lot darker then i thought it would be!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

So think i could go a little stronger for the 10 mins interval and i need a head torch as it was a lot darker then i thought it would be!!

This is the one I have and find it great, especially at the price. Currently out of stock and going on when I was getting it it could be a month or two before back in stock.

diego_b wrote: »
    This is the one I have and find it great, especially at the price. Currently out of stock and going on when I was getting it it could be a month or two before back in stock.

Throw that on with a lovely set of compression tights, and anyone is yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Throw that on with a lovely set of compression tights, and anyone is yours :D

The head torch is such a great look for sure!
    If and when I go running around the local GAA field here with mine I am sure the locals will be talking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

i need a head torch as it was a lot darker then i thought it would be!!

Aldi have running hats (baseball style) that have a light in the peak, €7.99, they're brilliant as they're nice & light & shower proof too and the light is better than the headtorch I have.

diego_b wrote: »
    The head torch is such a great look for sure!
    If and when I go running around the local GAA field here with mine I am sure the locals will be talking!!

That said, I could have done with it on Wednesday. I went onto the GAA pitch for the strides. It was so dark, and horribly wet, that I gave up after three Xs and went back onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I know it's 'just a t-shirt' but it looks like I'll never get a DCM 2015 finishers shirt. They'd none at the finish by the time I got there so they took my race number and said they'd post me one. Well, the one they sent me is a size S. That's not a size I'd ever be able to get into. :(

I did email the DCM office but so far have got no reply. I'd say they are wrapped up now and to be honest, I doubt they'd have any t-shirts left, especially an XL which is what I had asked for on the day.

I know this is one of those 'first world problems' so I'm trying not to feel bummed out about it. But man, those t-shirts are gorgeous and I'd have been proud to wear one. :(

I know it's 'just a t-shirt' but it looks like I'll never get a DCM 2015 finishers shirt. They'd none at the finish by the time I got there so they took my race number and said they'd post me one. Well, the one they sent me is a size S. That's not a size I'd ever be able to get into. :(

I did email the DCM office but so far have got no reply. I'd say they are wrapped up now and to be honest, I doubt they'd have any t-shirts left, especially an XL which is what I had asked for on the day.

I know this is one of those 'first world problems' so I'm trying not to feel bummed out about it. But man, those t-shirts are gorgeous and I'd have been proud to wear one. :(

Try posting in the DCM thread. You may find someone looking for a small as usually the small are harder to come by so I am sure there hopefully will be someone who might be able to facilitate a swap for you.

That sucks, but hey, there's your reason for doing it next year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

Good to be back into a program this week. Built a new spreadsheet with my current PB's (only 2), along with my targets for next year.
    I calculated my paces based on Myles guidelines - but I used my target 5k pace to build up my training paces. Obviously this makes the training paces that bit tougher, so hope I've done the right thing. Easy runs are at 8.56/mile which has been fine.
    Was away again this week, so couldn't do the strides on a treadmill. Ended up doing an interval session:
    15 mins @ easy pace
    8 x 500m @ 6.00 pace
    8 X 250m @ 9.30 pace recoveries
    10 mins c/d

I did find the latter intervals a bit tougher - how the hell am I going to run this pace for 20 minutes, but I 'm sure the tough sessions need to be tough in order to build up the speed!!
    Would have tried to do a few more intervals, but the damn treadmill kept moving forward and plugging itself out after a couple of the intervals...

Going out tomorrow night so skipped the rest day today, did 45 mins with 10 at MP, and tomorrow am hoping to do 10m (perhaps a little faster than my easy pace, but will try to stay below MP)

Now, back to the Toy show before the kids send me to bed for not paying attention...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

That sucks, but hey, there's your reason for doing it next year! :D

You mean...do it faster so I finish before they run out of t-shirts? :o

Advertisement