Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I meant more get a new T-Shirt, but I've no doubt you'd be faster too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

St Anne's park run this morning gradually starting to feel the legs get back to normal and the pace is getting back to where it should be to attempt a pb before the year closes out. Delighted to see Toulouse come visit us at park run for her debut and bagged herself a pb at the same time well done Toulouse. We had a little DCM novices reunion with PJD and Kennyg and even ran a bit with our 4.30 pacer MurphD from DCM but he belted off once he hit the avenue. Post run coffees were well deserved today. Happy running this weekend it's good to be back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    St Anne's park run this morning gradually starting to feel the legs get back to normal and the pace is getting back to where it should be to attempt a pb before the year closes out. Delighted to see Toulouse come visit us at park run for her debut and bagged herself a pb at the same time well done Toulouse. We had a little DCM novices reunion with PJD and Kennyg and even ran a bit with our 4.30 pacer MurphD from DCM but he belted off once he hit the avenue. Post run coffees were well deserved today. Happy running this weekend it's good to be back. :)

I was thinking about you guys and the parkrun today on my run! Wondered who else was out in this weather :P I only saw about 4 other runners in the Phoenix Park today.

Congrats Toulouse on the pb! Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Toulouse. Nop also pb'd over 5km as well. Looking forward to giving it a go before year end as well. Got my 45 mins run in before the rain this morning. Picked up the pace, mid run, and pushed out 4km at mp pace. Felt great and yesterdays recovery day had to have helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Well done to the Park runners today, not the best day for it but always nice to have a few PB's under the belt's. Just be sensible tomorrow with pulling the pace back 20-30 seconds a mile and keep it really handy. You won't gain anything by under recovering from a race effort
    denis b wrote: »
    Well done Toulouse. Nop also pb'd over 5km as well. Looking forward to giving it a go before year end as well. Got my 45 mins run in before the rain this morning. Picked up the pace, mid run, and pushed out 4km at mp pace. Felt great and yesterdays recovery day had to have helped.

Be sensible in the approach and aim to try stick to the plan. 4k is over 20 minutes at MP which is nearly double the initially prescribed

We want people to follow the below mantra

Stress + Recovery = Adaptation + Improvement

As such making sure you are not over stressing or under recovering as they are just as important for improvement you can't do one without the other if you want to really kick on.

Often people lean more to one side by training too hard or not hard enough it is important to find the right balance.

To give you an example my original log back in 2010 has sessions and splits that I still am struggling to hit however my times in races have come down significantly despite this. I was training to hard every day and not getting the benefits from the work put in.

Less is more to an extent here for the next few months you can see big improvements even without "stepping training up a notch" to an extent.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Myles. Had not read the plan this morning and was relying on memory!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Completed the week as per the plan, but did everything a day early. I didn't make parkrun this morning - woke at 9am, the wind and rain was beating off the window and the bed was warm so i gave in and stayed there.
    Monday: Went to the local park behind my house and did 40 mins very easy (4.4 miles). Basically, I got back to the entrance of the park around the 40 min mark and just had enough. I enjoyed it though, but had had enough at the end.
    Tuesday: Intervals. Had planned on doing these on the local soccer pitch, but the day got away from me. I was in between night shifts and didn't get up early enough. I ended up doing the workout just before work in the evening. There's a grand wide flat road heading into the port near work which I use for intervals. I just programmed the Garmin to do 15 minutes then 20 times 15 secs on, 20 secs recovery then another 15 minutes cooldown without any pace guidelines. I found the first 3 or 4 intervals tough, but after that I was ok and could have done a few more. Garmin recorded the fast 15 sec sections as anything between about 6min/mile to 6:30/mile, but I wouldn't take that as gospel - its too short a time for the Garmin to be accurate I think. I wasn't running all out, but fairly hard all the same. Max heart rate for the session was about 176 which I hit towards the end of the session. Did the warmup easy (8:54/mile) and the cooldown a bit slower (9:24/mile)
    Wednesday: 45 mins easy, 5 miles. Found this session tough tbh. I'd had about 3.5 hours sleep - had to get up after night shift to let someone in. I didn't head out until dark. Felt very tired, and also picked a route with a lot of drags. Probably one of my slowest paced runs in a while.
    Thursday: Had planned on doing the Saturday session today, but just felt too tired. Also my right hamstring and ankle were giving me trouble so I went for a sports massage. Felt better afterwards. Also had a hot bath and foam rolled that night so felt even better then.
    Friday: 45 mins, 5.3 miles. First 4 mile average pace 8:45 (35 minutes) Last 10 min I did about 7:25 pace - definitely not marathon pace. Also found this session harder than expected - heart rate was higher than usual during the easy 35 by between 5 and 10 bp.
    Saturday: Missed parkrun, so did 75 minutes easy - 8.4 miles, average pace 8:56min/mile. Enjoyed this. I choose a relatively flat route, and the aim was to just keep the HR in what I perceive to be easy range i.e. <148. This is based on not much more than experience really. I ran an out and back course, with a headwind on the way back, although the last 2 miles were sheltered. Had my winter gear on (gloves and a hat). Enjoyed this and never felt too taxed at any stage. I can feel the energy coming back again.
    All in all, I think I had a good week. I haven't worked out my paces yet - I mostly just ran by feel, without paying too much attention to the watch except for the 75 minute run. I've let a lot slip wrt strength training, stretching, sleep and nutrition since Dublin, so next week I'm going to try and work a bit on that, although with the work Christmas party next week, the weekend could be a disaster!!

Oh my God what a morning the rain and wind really made me want to just turn over this morning. But had the company of kennyG Mrs kennyg and another runner from St Anne's park run so we all braved it together. Miscalculated the route thinking it was 7 miles but it turned out to be 6.3 miles so fell short of the planned time of 75 mins easy. But got out on a pretty awful day. We were lucky that the rain stopped for most of our run we choose a route that had most of it with the wind to our backs which helped. Enjoyed the run pace might have been a bit fast 10.24 avg per mile but putting that down to being pushed by the wind on the seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

3 reasonable mid-week runs for me (one treadmill) and just back from a 11km (~7M) during which I didn't feel the love at all.

I'm a little under the weather and the howling winds didn't really look very enticing. At some points they were so strong that I was literary stopped in my tracks. Also my left knee kept buckling during the first mile or so. #weirdness.

Anyway, HTFU'd and got through about an hour with some decent elevation gains too, after which I decided to call it a day. It seems scarcely believable that only last month we ran a marathon - because I was knackered!

I think we need to set ourselves another target-race. It sharpens the focus like nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

nop98 wrote: »

I think we need to set ourselves another target-race. It sharpens the focus like nothing else.

Ballycotton 10 on March 6th? Registration opens on December 8th at 2pm. I've registered for the Dungarvan 10 on Jan 31st myself. Ballycotton is well worth travelling for. Although I'm biased because its only 45 minutes or so away from me.

• Advertisement

Oh my God what a morning the rain and wind really made me want to just turn over this morning. But had the company of kennyG Mrs kennyg and another runner from St Anne's park run so we all braved it together. Miscalculated the route thinking it was 7 miles but it turned out to be 6.3 miles so fell short of the planned time of 75 mins easy. But got out on a pretty awful day. We were lucky that the rain stopped for most of our run we choose a route that had most of it with the wind to our backs which helped. Enjoyed the run pace might have been a bit fast 10.24 avg per mile but putting that down to being pushed by the wind on the seafront.

Actually scratch that apparently pace was fine according to FBOT Im still working of my marathon training 'easy'' pace so need to re educate myself on pace.

I had a lovely 45 minutes last night - very easy first mile, and a nice brisk 3.4 miles after that. Hopefullly, I'll get out for the 75 mins tonight, if this wind dies down.

Wind was crazy for me too today. Ran the last two miles of my 6 miler faster than I should have but with the wind at my back I couldn't help it!

It makes up for the times I could barely move a step when the wind was against me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Actually scratch that apparently pace was fine according to FBOT Im still working of my marathon training 'easy'' pace so need to re educate myself on pace.

Have to leave Garmin at home and run by feel. We have become slaves
    To the watch. Think with that wind on back along coast could have set
    5k pb this morning, not to sure it would count:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Have to leave Garmin at home and run by feel. We have become slaves
    To the watch. Think with that wind on back along coast could have set
    5k pb this morning, not to sure it would count:D

Look at you "Mr We should all run Naked"...Dubgal would be so proud:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Thanks guys, was really brilliant to see everyone at the St. Annes parkrun and I'll definitely be back, hopefully the weekend after Jingle Bells. Such a fantastic initiative and well, so many lovely and familiar faces - why would I go anywhere else?

Hadn't intended on pb'ing, it was all PJDs fault for not letting me run at an easier pace :D Still, no niggles after so very happy about that. Roll on Jingle Bells!

That's my first week with 5 days running for a while now and I was wrecked during the week. Treadmilled the 75 mins this morning as it was totally miserable out and I think I did my time out in the elements yesterday morning. Also last weeks long run involved an angry dog, cross country and a barb wire fence - wasn't keen to repeat it this week.

What's the plan for next week MS? And will it take Jingle Bells into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Look at you "Mr We should all run Naked"...Dubgal would be so proud:p

Oh god no:D

Just in from my 75 mins. I had a small pain in my knee, between mile 5 and 6, but it was gone by 6, so hopefully it's not the start of something and more to do with that it was the longest run I've done since the marathon at 7.2 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Peter D61

First week of the new programme went well until today. Wednesday was the first time I had done strides, I did them on a football pitch as suggested and found it to be hard work. All my runs this week were probably a bit faster than they should have been, I've changed from miles to kilometers and still trying to get used to it, ( I don't have a Garmin). Anyway, my hip was a bit sore during my run yesterday (Saturday). This was a problem for me during the marathon. I went out to do 75 mins this morning but pulled up after 36 mins as It was starting to get sore again. I'll see how it feels on Tuesday, might have to go for some physio. Should I foam roll it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Who's doing Jingle Bells? And more importantly, who's making the flapjacks !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm registered!

Must be your turn by now Nop? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Who's doing Jingle Bells? And more importantly, who's making the flapjacks !?

don't forget the 'who is coming to Ryans afterwards' question, very important...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm registered and I hope to do it injury permitting, One of my grandsons is coming to watch me run so I will not make it to Ryans.

I'm registered won't make it to Ryan's though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'm registered won't make it to Ryan's though. :)

tsk, no commitment :D and where is your log?

Firedance wrote: »
    tsk, no commitment :D and where is your log?

Nothing worth logging just yet !

I'm doing Jingle Bells (and flapjacks if there are any!). Will have to give Ryan's a miss though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I'm doing Jingle Bells. Negotiations for getting to Ryans afterwards are going well :)

Made it through the week as well finishing with the longest 75 minute run ever. Ran it easy... Mrs. Mc has me wondering about my own pace as well as I was also kind of working off my marathon easy/recovery times as well. Will re-assess off 5/10km times. Is that about right Myles?

HBS....that was a tough week... and the running was on top of that . Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

3 reasonable mid-week runs for me (one treadmill) and just back from a 11km (~7M) during which I didn't feel the love at all.

I'm a little under the weather and the howling winds didn't really look very enticing. At some points they were so strong that I was literary stopped in my tracks. Also my left knee kept buckling during the first mile or so. #weirdness.

Anyway, HTFU'd and got through about an hour with some decent elevation gains too, after which I decided to call it a day. It seems scarcely believable that only last month we ran a marathon - because I was knackered!

This is fairly common after a marathon which is why the return has to be slow and progressive.

Your right though regarding target races. I know man will find that really helps them get focused. I wanted to let you guys have a week to settle in with the training first though but negotiations for a target race begin today ;)
    Toulouse wrote: »
    Thanks guys, was really brilliant to see everyone at the St. Annes parkrun and I'll definitely be back, hopefully the weekend after Jingle Bells. Such a fantastic initiative and well, so many lovely and familiar faces - why would I go anywhere else?

Hadn't intended on pb'ing, it was all PJDs fault for not letting me run at an easier pace :D Still, no niggles after so very happy about that. Roll on Jingle Bells!

That's my first week with 5 days running for a while now and I was wrecked during the week. Treadmilled the 75 mins this morning as it was totally miserable out and I think I did my time out in the elements yesterday morning. Also last weeks long run involved an angry dog, cross country and a barb wire fence - wasn't keen to repeat it this week.

What's the plan for next week MS? And will it take Jingle Bells into account?

Well done on the PB always nice when you can blame someone else rather than your body on not being able to slow down. I am usually the opposite people telling me to speed up and me having no choice but to say no :D

Yes this week will take into account Jingle bells/Park run as a baseline that people can use to work off in terms of paces etc going forward so as such Saturday is going to be race saturday for all those who feel inclined :D
    Peter D61 wrote: »
    First week of the new programme went well until today. Wednesday was the first time I had done strides, I did them on a football pitch as suggested and found it to be hard work. All my runs this week were probably a bit faster than they should have been, I've changed from miles to kilometers and still trying to get used to it, ( I don't have a Garmin). Anyway, my hip was a bit sore during my run yesterday (Saturday). This was a problem for me during the marathon. I went out to do 75 mins this morning but pulled up after 36 mins as It was starting to get sore again. I'll see how it feels on Tuesday, might have to go for some physio. Should I foam roll it?

Pace is import on your easy days, my usual recommendation is start off slow and when you feel that you have got the effort right, slow down a little more :D Much like Dubgal's "Naked" Run mentality Hard days hard and easy days EASY is going to be the focus of this whole log.

Advertisement