Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Toulouse wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am here (thanks Mrs Mc!!) :o

Have been tipping away by myself but am delighted to have a plan again! Thanks also to Myles for taking us on :)

I did my 45 mins easy last night so have started already, tonight will be off as I have a gym class but I'm going to catch up on everything and map out the rest of my week!

Squeeeeeeeeeee!! So excited :D

We've missed you Toulouse !!!

Back to the physio this morning some tendinitis in my left Achilles but nothing to worry about a few calf raises and calf stretches to continue doing but other than that good to go on the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Limerick Parkrun in UL is starting on Dec 12th so that's a good target for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Got started this morning. All well and details on log. Great to see people returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi all,
    Great to see this splinter group setting up after the Novice Thread, well done to nop98 and MS !!

I am unfortunately still 'on the bench' post the DCM, as I felt a 'mini explosion' in my right knee about 3 seconds after I stopped at the finish line at the DCM.....not good.:(

No running since and I thought that it would be fine by now. I did a really small session on a treadmill last week (10-15 minutes) and my knee felt sore deep inside like a big ligament or tendon was pulsing and the knee felt weak, so I wisely decided to stop.

It feels a bit sore if I walk any kind of distance (say 2-3K), so I am going to take it really handy for 2-3 weeks with only a bit of swimming with a pull buoy as exercise. Cycling doesn't seem to annoy it but I am probably going to skip that for now too. If that doesn't work then is it back to the physio and for the first time in my life I am considering an MRI scan......yikes!!

Anyone else come across this? Does it sound like 'runners knee'? I googled it and it ranges from a small tear on a ligament to knee cancer !! Any thoughts lads, not looking for medical advice as I know that we don't do that, but just curious if any Boardies have had this problem before??

a) What are your main running goals for the next 3 to 12 months?
    To get back running without the aid of a zimmerframe :rolleyes:

b) In what way do you see this thread helping out?
    Moral support and hopefully someone on Boards will buy me a spare knee for Christmas......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Great to see this splinter group setting up after the Novice Thread, well done to nop98 and MS !!

I am unfortunately still 'on the bench' post the DCM, as I felt a 'mini explosion' in my right knee about 3 seconds after I stopped at the finish line at the DCM.....not good.:(

No running since and I thought that it would be fine by now. I did a really small session on a treadmill last week (10-15 minutes) and my knee felt sore deep inside like a big ligament or tendon was pulsing and the knee felt weak, so I wisely decided to stop.

It feels a bit sore if I walk any kind of distance (say 2-3K), so I am going to take it really handy for 2-3 weeks with only a bit of swimming with a pull buoy as exercise. Cycling doesn't seem to annoy it but I am probably going to skip that for now too. If that doesn't work then is it back to the physio and for the first time in my life I am considering an MRI scan......yikes!!

Anyone else come across this? Does it sound like 'runners knee'? I googled it and it ranges from a small tear on a ligament to knee cancer !! Any thoughts lads, not looking for medical advice as I know that we don't do that, but just curious if any Boardies have had this problem before??

Moral support and hopefully someone on Boards will buy me a spare knee for Christmas......

Sorry to hear that Smash, knees never give any bother, so can't give any
    Advice, I know someone who has to have cartilage op, but seems like very
    Short re hab then back to easy training, so keep positive and hopefully you'll
    Be back soon😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Anyone else come across this? Does it sound like 'runners knee'? I googled it and it ranges from a small tear on a ligament to knee cancer !!

Smash, noooooo, go and get it seen by a professional, dr. google hasn't been to college for years and can't see your actual knee!! please go and get it seen to the sooner the better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Firedance wrote: »
    Smash, noooooo, go and get it seen by a professional, dr. google hasn't been to college for years and can't see your actual knee!! please go and get it seen to the sooner the better too.

+1, I wouldn't bother waiting the 2-3 weeks to make the physio appt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Managed to get out in between showers and howling wind for an enjoyable 40 minutes easy (very easy).

So .... wait for it .....: the first myles are done!

(hides)

Myles, I'm going to have your head wrecked with question so I apologise in advance :o

Current two questions (the second depends on the answer to the first :P):

1. Is the format of the plan going to remain much the same week after week. e.g. easy on a Tuesday, workout on a Wednesday, LSR on a Sunday.

I will only be running 4 days a week, but crosstraining preeetttty much every other day which brings me to question.....
    2. Which of the days in the plan would be best for me to drop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Hi all,

As has already been mentioned get this checked out.

Google may match up symptoms to injuries but the real reason you go to someone trained in dealing with injuries is not to know what the injury is from the symptoms but rather to rule other the other possibilities which illicit the same symptoms.

This is called differential diagnosis and through different tests from range of motion, muscle shortness, ligament stress tests etc they are able to rule out the things that it is not.

I am going to give a common example that crops up in runners - achilles pain

Common causes
    Tendonitis
    Partial achilles tendon tears

Less common
    Achilles bursitis
    Accessory Soleus muscle tear
    Neural pathway disfunction from Lumbar spine

Red Flags
    Achilles Tendon rupture
    Tendonitis caused by inflammatory arthropathies (gout, rheumatoid/septic arthritis

While the symptoms often match the injury, the injury does not always match the symptoms because certain symptoms or pain referral can be the same for 5-15 different types of injuries.

Medical professionals aim to make an informe decision on course of action not only through the clinical assessments but also from the information given by the client (it's not always just idle chit chat when you are on the plinth believe it or not ;))

Terms like "weakness" and "mini explosion" would generally be more buzz words for getting it checked out sooner rather than later. I know we can feel it is sometimes a waste of money or just too expensive but look it it this way it costs about the same as paying petrol and race entry to get to a race and have to DNF. Physio/Sports Therapists should be used as a preventative measure rather than a solution to a major injury. Most running injuries are of a neuromuscular nature and can be avoided if dealt with early enough.

nop98 wrote: »
    Managed to get out in between showers and howling wind for an enjoyable 40 minutes easy (very easy).

(hides)

There is a really famous New Zealand coach who used to say "Mi(y)les make champions" and you know what by the end of this thread he will be right ;)

Myles, I'm going to have your head wrecked with question so I apologise in advance :o

Current two questions (the second depends on the answer to the first :P):

1. Is the format of the plan going to remain much the same week after week. e.g. easy on a Tuesday, workout on a Wednesday, LSR on a Sunday.

I will only be running 4 days a week, but crosstraining preeetttty much every other day which brings me to question.....
    2. Which of the days in the plan would be best for me to drop?

Not at all that is what this thread is for so ask away.

Format will be generally the same the only difference will be that sometimes the Saturday Workout will be changed to easy and you will have a long run workout so to speak on the Sunday instead.

Regards cross training do you mean crossfit? I think I have seen in your previous post you have mentioned this?

If so there is going to be no real ideal as you are trying to mix oil and water to an extent...... However it is not doom and gloom. Any form of exercise where you are working to an intense level will be beneficial provided you have the adequate recovery the problem is that it is not specific to the demands that your body will be put through for a race.

To run well you need to.... well run. As such time on your feet will play a role.

My first inclination would be that Wednesday/Saturday and Sunday would be the most important days for you off limited amount of running however this would mean Crossfit Tuesday and Thursday which would leave you under recovered and not really getting the benefits of the session.

I would probably say Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday as your run days and try an ensure that your monday session is as light in intensity as you can. Remember low intensity play a role in improving fitness as much as the high quality stuff. Under recovery can lead to poor sleep quality, nutritional energy crisis mode in the body, general fatigue leading to poor nutrition as well as other health issues which can arise. Some days taking it very easy (I say easy rather than off as I believe active recovery is actually more beneficial) can be worth more to your health and fitness than a hard day.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Myles.

Well yes on Crossfit but that will be mostly used for strength, core stuff etc hopefully. And them some swimming. And, um, maybe some cycling.... You know.... Crosstraining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

While the symptoms often match the injury, the injury does not always match the symptoms because certain symptoms or pain referral can be the same for 5-15 different types of injuries.

Medical professionals aim to make an informe decision on course of action not only through the clinical assessments but also from the information given by the client (it's not always just idle chit chat when you are on the plinth believe it or not ;))

Terms like "weakness" and "mini explosion" would generally be more buzz words for getting it checked out sooner rather than later. I know we can feel it is sometimes a waste of money or just too expensive but look it it this way it costs about the same as paying petrol and race entry to get to a race and have to DNF. Physio/Sports Therapists should be used as a preventative measure rather than a solution to a major injury. Most running injuries are of a neuromuscular nature and can be avoided if dealt with early enough.[/QUOTE]

Thanks MS and the rest of you,
    I did a bit of swimming at lunch time today and had no adverse reaction, so I might just go with that for a few weeks. I do go to an excellent physio from time to time and I promise that I will go to him again for a follow up session in a week or two if the pain does not go away.
    I have had a lot of Footie and Running injuries over the years and my gut feel is that I have annoyed/tweaked a tendon during the DCM and it just needs rest / no running, although this is a 'new' pain.....

I did in fact go to my physio post the DCM while the knee was sore and I was bio-mechanically out (one leg slightly longer than the other), and he corrected that.....might just need a second session.

Thanks guys....will keep you posted on the recovery (positive thinking) in the next few weeks ;)

P.S. Dr Google is a Quack......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Thanks Myles.

Well yes on Crossfit but that will be mostly used for strength, core stuff etc hopefully. And them some swimming. And, um, maybe some cycling.... You know.... Crosstraining :D

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O_o

Ixnay on the iathlon-tray

Wow - doesn't seem like that long ago that I was filling out questions for the Novice thread. Wonder where this one will take me!

Still have to go through everything from the start but I think I have the gist of it!

I have a few! I want to get my 5 and 10km times down. Currently sitting at 27:05 and 55:08 respectively so a few minutes off both would be nice. I've signed up to the Jingle Bells 5K and hope to sign up for Ballycotton too. I'm definitely doing the BHAA Straffan 10km this year too (for the spread afterwards, natch!).

Long term I'd love to give Dublin another go next year and go sub 4 from 4:26:26 this year.

All going well, it looks like I'm going to be a lot busier with a bit of travelling thrown in from now on so I will need help and advice on juggling running plans with real life. I was lucky that for DCM I could give the training my whole undivided attention but that's probably not going to be the case going forward.

I found that the Novice thread really helped to keep me on track and I also made lots of awesome new friends which again helped with my motivation.

Also I really enoy having a plan, I'm a follower so tell me what to do and I'll do it and be happy. I also want to be challenged by my running, my marathon plan worked but it was pretty boring so am looking forward to mixing it up a bit and also looking forward to being on the same plan as everyone else!

Think that's it! Happy running everyone :D

nop98 wrote: »

(hides)

Ha ha Nop how long have you been waiting to post that !!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

I've been taking it easy since the marathon. I think the furthest I ran was an 8k very slow run.
    My knee was feeling good and today I managed to knock out 10k of sprint intervals in the gym with no pain at all.
    Still taking it easy, next proper race will be the Aware 10k if everything behaves ;)

Just finished my 45 mins "easy" run. I went out a bit too fast. Averaged at 10:10 per mile, but the last one was 10:28, and the first one was 9:53. Definitely feeling a bit tired after 2 miles again, but I pushed through it and started feeling okay after mile 3. I did about 4.5 miles in the 45 mins, so that was a grand pace, though I will go slower on the rest of the easy runs this week, and probably stick to 10:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Cheers Wopsa, got key ring in post, won't bring this one to pub, reason it
    Went missing was I was asked to show key ring night of DCM, nobody wanted
    to see medal as it would seem all around had them, or that may have gone
    On missing list as well😀 key ring is a much rarer item.

Thanks again G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Gonna jump on this plan for the next few weeks. Have my eye on another plan for May marathon!

So last night i did 45 mins(52 mins) @ ~9.27. All uphill all wind in face.. was delightful!!

Gonna try the intervals on a pitch tonight as drawn out above, looking forward to it.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O_o

Ixnay on the iathlon-tray

I LOL'd too hard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Hi fellow novices /graduates. I have been missing in action for a few weeks due to a number of things; First of all, I needed to give the family some attention but I was also keen to get back out on the bike. But one training session too many, too soon after the marathon, resulted in a nasty overuse injury in the glute / hip. With hindsight, it was coming on for weeks and had been playing up even at the half marathon, so I was lucky to get away with it for the big day....

A good few days rest and some top advice from FBOT has me back on track. Last weekend saw me volunteering at St Anne's Parkrun, followed on Sunday with a day on the mountain bike in Howth. I love being back on two wheels and the road bike has been dusted off before I get ostracised by my cycling club!

Anyway, I wanted to drop into the thread to say hi and wish you all luck for your next adventure. I am not an athlete by any stretch and am content to drift back into my anonymous activities but I do want to say hi now and again! I missed my bike (a lot!) and if I could do it all again, I would include some cross training on the road bike or mountain bike to break up the relentless running. Cycling may have kept my body in better balance due to the cross training element and use of different muscles, particularly around the glutes and hip.

But- I am not gone!

You will find me at St Anne's Parkrun most Saturdays. I don't need or want to smash any PB's and am content to plod around. I will continue my Run Commute which I love particularly for clearing the head on the run home. I will be cycling with my cycling club but wont veer to the dark side as it may end in divorce if I spend any more time away from home! I may even pick up on some events in the new year just to be social. I am glad to be finished with the gels and sugar and need to bulk up my skinny legs which developed with the long runs.

I will forever be grateful for our thread and the advice of Dubgal. I will definitely follow this one and continue my learning.... See you in the park, or the road, or the trail, or the hill or even Strava. Keep up the good work. We are all awesome after all.............. P

See you at Park Run PJD for sure ! will be sure to give you a wave as you cycle by while I'm out running !!!

Noooooooo PJD :(

That felt kinda final even though I know you didn't mean it to. Fear not, I shall stalk you in St. Annes and I'll be expecting to see you and Wilson!

Thanks for all the laughs and all the encouragement and support during DCM and the lead up to it. My marathon experience was truly enhanced by your presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Patellar tendonitis is apparently what I have according to the physio. Went there yesterday so she said not to run for the next week and to go back and see her next Thursday. So a few stretching exercises for the quads, a bit of ice and a week of doing nothing. Forgot to ask her but would swimming be ok for it? Cycling?

Just in from the 10easy-10strides-10easy session. It was tough going, and my strides dropped in pace a good bit between the first sent and the last (7:12 to 9:04!) - My glutes are still not feeling 100%, it's not painful, it's not irritating, it's just like they feel like they've already done 10 miles without telling me.

Feel your pain Chris, did the strides tonight as well. Was tough going but did them ok and managed a fast pace, used the coast two lamposts fast and one slow worked out fine, but in my last 10 mins easy the calves were very tight. It good to be back with a plan but there is a huge element of frustration as well that you want to be feeling a lot better that you are currently. :( I'm out tomorrow night so up early in the morning to go out for the easy 45 mins. Hopefully things will fall into place over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm finding this week tough to be honest. I'm having a bad week at work, I've a college assignment due next week that I'm behind on and I'm not sleeping very well because of the stress.

The only thing keeping me sane is running! Tonight was an easy mile followed by two fast miles then a last easy one. I really needed the break away from people and computers and books and writing etc etc etc. Felt awesome.

Advertisement