Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Speaking of niggles and marathons...I recovered fairly quickly after the marathon. Post-marathon pain lingered for about 4 days, after that I felt fine (like I'd never run a marathon at all!) but I knew just because I felt fine didn't mean I was fully recovered so I stuck to the plan for rest/recovery. A week and a half later I was back running, very slow and very short runs but it was better than nothing! All in all I think I was lucky in terms of my marathon recovery time. I had a serious case of post-marathon blues and not running contributed to it. My pain wasn't physical, it was mental/emotional, if that makes sense!

Now I've been running to a proper plan for two weeks now and very much enjoying it, and very grateful for it!

I did pick up a 'niggle' in the leg this week but have nursed it and it seems to be ok now, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Just a heads up, I will be updating the first week of the plan in the morning for any eager beavers or dawn runners the first actual day of running will be Tuesday so you won't be missing anything in the morning and also gives the Parkrunners an extra day of rest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

My race/run report from this weekend's Tralee parkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Great to have this thread to follow on from the Dcm and looking forward to hearing all your advice Myles.

I recovered quite well after the marathon and felt like I hadn't ran with after about 3 days. Started a few light runs after about 4 days and have worked my way up from there at bout the rate that I tapered down to the marathon. All going well, except that the last few days I keep getting a tight glute min (so I'm told) and I have to stop and stretch it before I can continue on. I did about 11/12 miles today at a really easy pace but had to stop after 6 miles and stretch it every 2 miles after that. Think I'm only seeing the weaknesses the marathon left in me now that I'm upping the mileage and intensity of sessions. Had hoped for a Pb at the Jingle Bells and I've a few other races in mind but not feeling too confidents now. Anybody else have this with their glute min and did it sort itself out? It's like a pinching and have been to sports therapist which seemed to fix it until I did another session!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

It's Monday already Myles - I'm ready to rock :)

Did my longest run since DCM this evening. 11M in 93 mins. Started off easy (8.45 pace) and gradually picked up the pace till the 10M mark (7.45 pace) and then a mile c/d.
    Felt fine running, although legs were probably wondering wtf is this for a while!!!

Had to work at home this evening, so the legs seized up while I was sitting at the computer - felt like my legs were going to cramp (which I never experienced at all during DCM training). Took a nuun tab and stretched a bit, so hopefully will be fine in the morning.

Did a couple of slightly faster runs last week - and found them pretty tough on the joints / muscles afterwards. Hoping that once I get back into a program a bit more science will help with more effective training.

I am going to leave my targets unchanged for now (all these would be PB's based on my 'mid 40s' status)
    5k: Sub 20 mins before Xmas (I feel this is the most achievable)
    10k: Sub 43 mins by end of Feb (I have a shot at this but it would be tight)
    Ballycotton 10M Sub 70 mins (starting to get really nervous about this)
    HM: Sub 1:30 (I think this is a stretch too far, but it's always good to have one really stretch target!!)
    DCM 2016: Sub 3:25 (11 min improvement on 2015, and I feel with the right program I can do this)

Myles - thanks again for taking this on, looking forward to seeing if you can help the 'treadmill trodder' improve :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've been very bad the last two weeks, as life has been pretty hectic between sicks and a family bereavement. I need to get back into it today.

Plan is 3 miles Tuesday, 5 x 400 Wednesday, 3 mile Thursday, 3 mile Saturday, 5 mile Sunday as per Hal Higdon Intermediate 5k. That should put me back to about 17 or so miles this week, which I'll be happy with. Planning to keep it at about 20 miles per week minimum for the next 8 weeks before I get back into some half marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Emsy 1

Thanks for doing this myles

a) What are your main running goals for the next 3 to 12 months?
    My main goals would be bringing down my 5 and 10k times. Will also aim for a 10mile in march.

b) In what way do you see this thread helping out

The same as the novices thread did, good company and sound advice.

I have been very slack since dcm I have only being doing short runs twice to three times a week. I would really like a plan to follow to get me back out more consistently.

user_online.pngreport.gif

Right the marathon is done and dusted and hopefully minus a few bumps and niggles still lingering in some the bodies should be pretty much back to normal after the marathon.

The bad news first. Due to the necessary recovery you might find a bit of lost fitness, this is natural and necessary to an extent. The natural reaction is to not want to lose this fitness after the marathon but like all training sessions you need to stress and adapt. There is no such thing as over training, despite what you have heard, only under recovering. As such putting your body through +3 hours of stress like that takes this long to fully recover from.

The good news is that the marathon itself will help boost fitness in the long term as well as the fact that you are not start from the same point you were a few months ago. Regaining previous fitness always takes less time than attaining a new level as such every training cycle you go into (your 18 week marathon plan etc) despite the fitness level you start the plan at is building on the months and years of training you do previously. This is an important point as you don't always need to change the type of training you do for each plan in order to improve further, do the simple things right and you will see improvement, the volume or paces might change but as long as the plan is sensible and simple the template does not have to change hugely.

Right enough of the babble on to this weeks training

Week 1
    Monday |OFF
    Tuesday| 45 min easy
    Wednesday| 10-15 minutes warm up, 10 minutes of strides, 10-15 minutes cooldown
    Thursday|45 min easy
    Friday| OFF
    Saturday| 45 min easy (last 10 minutes at marathon effort)
    Sunday| 75 minutes easy

No miles or km?

First thing people will notice is that I am not prescribing set miles but rather basing things on time. The reason for this is this plan while being a group plan is designed to have everyone on it working at the right intensity for the right amount of time what ever level they are at. Alot of plans out there will prescribe 20 mile runs, A x 400m reps etc but depending on your level these types of runs can be a million miles from each other depending on the person.

Take the following examples:

Runner A (2.40 minute marathon runner) would run a 20 mile run at easy pace (for arguments sake we will say roughly 7.30 min pace) and cover it in 2 hours 40 minutes

Runner B (4 hour marathon runner) running at easy (with same logic applied previously we shall say 10.30 min pace) would only cover just over 15 miles in that time frame.

In terms of the same effort by both runners then the training would be altered to 20 miles vs 15 miles. If they were to go by a plan that was based on miles however it would mean that Runner B is running at the same effort as runner A for nearly 50 minutes longer. The problem here is that recovery around that workout has to be changed then to take this into account but unfortunately with these generic plans it doesn't. There are other factors to consider as well (fatigue's impact on form, muscular endurance etc) but for the time being we will focus on the aim being aerobic development so we try to have the mileage match the runner rather than the opposite way around.

Similarly with reps:

A Classic 10k workout from McMillans 10k plan is 6x1 mile with 2 minutes recover. For a 30 minute 10k runner thats 6x5 minutes @ 10k pace with 2 minutes recovery (40% of total rep time). If your a 50 minute 10k runner you are running closer to 8 minutes and such the session completely changes as you are running 6x8 minutes at 10k pace with the same recovery. The problem is that the recovery is 25% of rep time. You then get to a paradox where you have people with less of an aerobic base built up over the years running for long, doing harder workouts with less recovery. This falls back on the point of under recovering.

Train to your ability and you will see progress rather than having training match the ability needed to run target times.

Before I go on in case I have bored the pants off people already. I want to remind people of one of the most important reasons for being sensible in training, beyond the PB's and adulation associated with running. If you ever find yourself in the below situation you can be safe in the knowledge that you have trained for it

ff_mo_01.jpg

Wednesday's session is as follows

10 minutes of roughly 80m to 120m of striding at harder than Marathon pace (preferably close to 5k effort) The main aim is to remain controlled, not to kill yourself running too hard, focus on getting the knees up and running relaxed in the upper body (try not to tense up around the shoulders) and get used to running faster. this should be followed by close to the same time or slightly longer at easy pace as recovery. No walking throughout session though which is why it is important to run steady on the harder parts.

Where you can do this type of session:

Grass - If you have access to a football pitch or any sort of rectangular shape it makes things easier you can do whats know as diagonals (see diagram below to explain)

[IMG]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TSsvUzNiECI/AAAAAAAAAT0/ns_P4OfBOSc/s400/diagonals image.jpg" height="400" width="300"[/IMG]

If you have access to a track can keep it simple and stride the straights and jog the bends.

If you don't have access to these you can use the distance between Street lamps as markers - 2 lights steady 1 light easy

Falling all that use the watch 15 secs stride/ 20 sec easy

I will compile the spreadsheets for updates during the week so that people can fill in by weeks end as well as summary of posts made and the training plan to prevent them getting lost.

Also I will aim to get back to any questions along the way as quick as I possibly can.

Best of luck with it folks :)

chrislad wrote: »
    I've been very bad the last two weeks, as life has been pretty hectic between sicks and a family bereavement. I need to get back into it today.

Plan is 3 miles Tuesday, 5 x 400 Wednesday, 3 mile Thursday, 3 mile Saturday, 5 mile Sunday as per Hal Higdon Intermediate 5k. That should put me back to about 17 or so miles this week, which I'll be happy with. Planning to keep it at about 20 miles per week minimum for the next 8 weeks before I get back into some half marathon training.

Best of luck with it CL

The post below actually has a few references to training by distance just to keep in mind

Good guideline for pace effort vs amount of recovery to take

1 mile pace (double rep time recovery)
    3k pace (equal recovery)
    5k pace (75% rep time to equal recovery)
    10k pace (30-50% rep time recovery)

I was actually going to ask about time v distance. One of the things I was concerned with during my marathon plan was my lack of mileage due to my slowness!

• Advertisement

I was actually going to ask about time v distance. One of the things I was concerned with during my marathon plan was my lack of mileage due to my slowness!

There are those who will debate that the logic being that its 26.2 miles on the day no matter what level you are at so you need to be prepared for it.

I will agree with people on this to an extent on the day people without the miles in the legs can often come under trouble but rarely is this because of their aerobic fitness (provided they have still been putting in the time i.e 15 miles as an example above).

Normally this comes down to muscle endurance under fatigue in particular hip stabilizing muscles (TFL, Glute Medius etc) this is why you see so many IT band issues in Novice (or even just low mileage) marathon runners. These muscles have to be trained to cope with the stress. Ideally this is done by having a few years training and mileage done before you attempt your first marathon but in the absence of that there are two big things which can offset this

1) run more frequently during the week - most people run too long on their long runs from a recovery point of view. This means that they don't have a chance to run as much during the week. running your 45-60 min runs during the week more regularly will build this muscles up to point where slowly but surely they catch up with the aerobic fitness.
    Aerobic development and structural readiness are independent of each other and often this is something overlooked when training for a marathon. Take someone straight off the couch and put them on a bike and tell them to cycle easy for as long as they possibly can. What you will find is that even without training the will be able to sustain low effort for a couple hours (though they would be in agony the next day) If you took that same person and told them to run for as long as they could. Provided they didn't go out too hard injury would stop them long before the aerobic fitness.

2) Strength and conditioning. Exercises such as squats and some which come under the understanding of "core" can be used to supplement the aerobic training without overloading these muscles. Because form won't deteriorate for a sustained amount of time like an excessively long run (if form gives out 2 hours into a 4 hour run you are still exerting the same pressures on the body for 2 hours after form has gone compared to maybe 1-2 reps at the end of a set) you are in control a bit more and is a way training without exhausting these muscles which will build up strength.

Think of these two methods as a cheat way of speeding up the muscle development process in relatively new runners so that it can catch up with aerobic development.

Regarding what I mean about hip stabilizing being compromised by fatigue here is an example (right)

32-weak+gluteus+medius%5B5%5D+copy.jpg

The hips being off centre are putting extra pressure on the body further down (knee, calves, ankles ) and dramatically increase injury risk compared to the picture on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

The hips being off centre are putting extra pressure on the body further down (knee, calves, ankles ) and dramatically increase injury risk compared to the picture on the left

Am I the only person who sees a bald man kissing a brown haired woman in Myles 'butt cheeks' picture ?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

JacEim wrote: »
    Am I the only person who sees a bald man kissing a brown haired woman in Myles 'butt cheeks' picture ?? :D:D

I see a Bambi-like fawn on the left & a tiger cub on the right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I wasn't one of the novices, but I hope in can involved in this.

a) What are your main running goals for the next 3 to 12 months?

I'm registered for the Dungarvan 10 and will be doing Ballycotton too. I'd like to break 70 minutes in Dungarvan and better my time in Ballycotton. After that I'd like to focus on improving my half marathon time and shaving a few seconds of my 5k time (currently 20:04), with the Charleville half being my goal race for the year. I also want to do the 25k Cork to Carrigaline run in April. I have a half a mind to run Dublin next year, but if I do I won't be pushing for a PB. I also want to do a good bit of s+c work - I still have a couple of niggles in my tib post and upper hamstring that are taking their time to clear up. Other than that it will be just to be in good shape for the summer racing season here in Cork.

b) In what way do you see this thread helping out?

I didn't get involved in the novices thread, bar a couple of posts when it started and a couple of posts when it finished and didn't follow the plan, but I followed the thread closely and saw the benefit that it brought to others. While I've been toying with an idea of joining a club, my work hours mean I'd miss a lot of club sessions so I figure this would be the next best thing. I spend an inordinate amount of time on the net reviewing various different plans so it would be good to just be given a plan to follow and not over think it too much. I feel I missed out be not getting involved in the novices thread. It'll be good to have somewhere to go for advice and maybe meet a few new people eventually. Finally, I need a bit of motivation, as I'm currently failing a being a runner. So in summary - direction, advice and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Week 1
    Monday |OFF
    Tuesday| 45 min easy
    Thursday|45 min easy
    Friday| OFF
    Sunday| 75 minutes easy
    No miles or km?

ff_mo_01.jpg

Thanks Myles

Sorry to be pain already, I was planning on doing Speed session with club
    on Saturday Morning 400-500 m repeats on Grass, so would it be ok to
    switch Wednesday with Saturday.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Week 1
    Monday |OFF
    Tuesday| 45 min easy
    Thursday|45 min easy
    Friday| OFF
    Sunday| 75 minutes easy
    No miles or km?

ff_mo_01.jpg

Thanks Myles

Sorry to be pain already, I was planning on doing Speed session with club
    on Saturday Morning 400-500 m repeats on Grass, so would it be ok to
    switch Wednesday with Saturday.

No problem. Obviously this plan does not have to be set is stone and can fit around your normal life / club commitments.

The main thing to remember is that you should not do back to back hard days but after this if you need to move it around a bit to suit your needs than by all means work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'll probably stick to your plan, Myles, as it'll actually give me more mileage than my own plan.

My pace for a 5k is about 8:30 or so per mile. On that, would the following be accurate?

10:30-10:50 - easy
    9:00-9:30 - tempo

I have a kwestion

In your explanation of Wednesday's workout, in the first paragraph you say that your recovery should be the same distance or slightly longer, but later you say that you should run steady for the long part of the pitch or 2 street lights, and easy for the width of the pitch or one street light.

Am I being completely stupid or should it be the other way around in one or the other?

Sorry if I'm just being a dope :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

For the moment I can't follow your program Myles as under physio instruction, working on a PFPS issue that I got about a month before the marathon but sticking to his guidance got my through the marathon grand. I am doing glut work each day with resistance bands and it's going okay but his guidance for managing it is sticking with low mileage and not running on consecutive days. I am back to him again in two weeks so we'll see what he says then.
    I am allowed to do speed work like fartlek so that's what I have been doing to mix things up and then easy runs that are slower than my hm pace but faster than mp, running 3 times a week for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

I have a kwestion

In your explanation of Wednesday's workout, in the first paragraph you say that your recovery should be the same distance or slightly longer, but later you say that you should run steady for the long part of the pitch or 2 street lights, and easy for the width of the pitch or one street light.

Am I being completely stupid or should it be the other way around in one or the other?

It depends on the length of the interval you're running.
    Myles posted a table a page back with typical recoveries based off the pace of the effort.

So say for example you are running a 200m rep you might recover for double the rep time but if you're running a 1 mile interval you might recover for 50%-75% of the time it took you to run the mile.

Hopefully that makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

There are those who will debate that the logic being that its 26.2 miles on the day no matter what level you are at so you need to be prepared for it.

I will agree with people on this to an extent on the day people without the miles in the legs can often come under trouble but rarely is this because of their aerobic fitness (provided they have still been putting in the time i.e 15 miles as an example above).

Normally this comes down to muscle endurance under fatigue in particular hip stabilizing muscles (TFL, Glute Medius etc) this is why you see so many IT band issues in Novice (or even just low mileage) marathon runners. These muscles have to be trained to cope with the stress. Ideally this is done by having a few years training and mileage done before you attempt your first marathon but in the absence of that there are two big things which can offset this

1) run more frequently during the week - most people run too long on their long runs from a recovery point of view. This means that they don't have a chance to run as much during the week. running your 45-60 min runs during the week more regularly will build this muscles up to point where slowly but surely they catch up with the aerobic fitness.
    Aerobic development and structural readiness are independent of each other and often this is something overlooked when training for a marathon. Take someone straight off the couch and put them on a bike and tell them to cycle easy for as long as they possibly can. What you will find is that even without training the will be able to sustain low effort for a couple hours (though they would be in agony the next day) If you took that same person and told them to run for as long as they could. Provided they didn't go out too hard injury would stop them long before the aerobic fitness.

2) Strength and conditioning. Exercises such as squats and some which come under the understanding of "core" can be used to supplement the aerobic training without overloading these muscles. Because form won't deteriorate for a sustained amount of time like an excessively long run (if form gives out 2 hours into a 4 hour run you are still exerting the same pressures on the body for 2 hours after form has gone compared to maybe 1-2 reps at the end of a set) you are in control a bit more and is a way training without exhausting these muscles which will build up strength.

Think of these two methods as a cheat way of speeding up the muscle development process in relatively new runners so that it can catch up with aerobic development.

Regarding what I mean about hip stabilizing being compromised by fatigue here is an example (right)

Hi Myles, sorry for the hijack and not a graduate but I saw a photo of myself finishing a 10k recently and looking awfully what you describe above.
    Would you have a few more pointers on a S&C routine that would help address it?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Peter D61

Normally this comes down to muscle endurance under fatigue in particular hip stabilizing muscles (TFL, Glute Medius etc) this is why you see so many IT band issues in Novice (or even just low mileage) marathon runners. These muscles have to be trained to cope with the stress. Ideally this is done by having a few years training and mileage done before you attempt your first marathon

This is obviously what happened me at the DCM as I'd only been running since June. I will work on my strength and keep putting miles on these old legs of mine.Thanks for your help to date Myles, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions.

Plan day 1 done!

My car is going to the doctors so I was getting picked up for work at 6:45 which meant I was out the door at 5:35am running. Total madness!

Around 4.5miles done - in slightly over the 45 minutes.

My calf is very sore but I only felt it after running, not during. Hopefully it's nothing.

I have a kwestion

No wonder it seems. Confusing, I confused myself when typing :o (Whoopsie certainl top of the class for paying attention :D)

That should have read time so that even though the harder efforts are slighhtly longer, the shorter , easy segments should take as long if not a little longer as recovery. I have also updated the watch description of the session at the end to reflect this.

Apologies on the typo's

tipping wrote: »
    Hi Myles, sorry for the hijack and not a graduate but I saw a photo of myself finishing a 10k recently and looking awfully what you describe above.
    Would you have a few more pointers on a S&C routine that would help address it?

We will be adding a workout routine from next week (didn't want to overload you on your first week) that will be similar to the 30 day challenge that will work on all the prominent muscles we want worked as a distance runner.

But for now an excellent exercise for this that can be done at home using the bottom step of the stairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNOl0T6-_pw

(ignore the ankle weight/ dumbell instructions at the end)

diego_b wrote: »
    For the moment I can't follow your program Myles as under physio instruction, working on a PFPS issue that I got about a month before the marathon but sticking to his guidance got my through the marathon grand. I am doing glut work each day with resistance bands and it's going okay but his guidance for managing it is sticking with low mileage and not running on consecutive days. I am back to him again in two weeks so we'll see what he says then.
    I am allowed to do speed work like fartlek so that's what I have been doing to mix things up and then easy runs that are slower than my hm pace but faster than mp, running 3 times a week for now.

Best of the luck with recovery.

Brings me on to an important point.

Don't follow the plan religiously. If there are any people who pick up niggles or illness along the way and/miss time don't just jump straight back in. If you don't already have a plan for your physio we can design a re-introduction week for anyone who needs it along the way. Jumping back in too quickly is usually a big factor in risk of reinjuring or relapsing with illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I have a question. I can't do Sunday, because of work so I started yesterday instead. I'd also like to do parkrun Saturday so I was planning on do the week like this: Mon: Easy 45; Tues: Diagonals; Wed: Easy 45; Thurs: Easy 75; Fri: off Sat: Parkrun with warmup and cooldown (15 mins each). I'd like to get the parkrun in because I work a lot of Saturdays and I'd like to get to them when I'm off.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'll probably stick to your plan, Myles, as it'll actually give me more mileage than my own plan.

My pace for a 5k is about 8:30 or so per mile. On that, would the following be accurate?

10:30-10:50 - easy
    9:00-9:30 - tempo

Sounds about right to me. I know some people may find the paces a little too easy (sometimes uncomfortably so)

I should clarify that these are based on my own opinions of training and don't always match up with what alot of what you will read on the internet

There are plenty of training plan pace guides for easy pace etc and a few can be found here if they wish to work off them instead

McMilllan Run Calculator
    Run For Fitness

The one thing I will stress is this plan is designed around hard days being hard and easy days easy so ultimately the easy days should be as easy as needed to recover in and around workouts.

I have a question. I can't do Sunday, because of work so I started yesterday instead. I'd also like to do parkrun Saturday so I was planning on do the week like this: Mon: Easy 45; Tues: Diagonals; Wed: Easy 45; Thurs: Easy 75; Fri: off Sat: Parkrun with warmup and cooldown (15 mins each). I'd like to get the parkrun in because I work a lot of Saturdays and I'd like to get to them when I'm off.

If the Park run is one you want to really have a go at why not hold the long run off to the following monday. Running the longer one that close to the race might leave the legs slightly under recovered for the race. I would probably keep it at 45 min and do a longer one at the start of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Hi everyone, I am here (thanks Mrs Mc!!) :o

Have been tipping away by myself but am delighted to have a plan again! Thanks also to Myles for taking us on :)

I did my 45 mins easy last night so have started already, tonight will be off as I have a gym class but I'm going to catch up on everything and map out the rest of my week!

Squeeeeeeeeeee!! So excited :D

Advertisement